What if the Jets are pulling a Rope-a-Dope and draft Barkley

The Jets come out and have an interview with MMQB and basically tell the world that they are going to draft a QB at 3.  Who tips their hand like that?  Everyone might suspect you're going QB, but you don't admit it.  What that does is force the Browns to draft a QB to make sure they get the #1 QB on their board and effectively takes Barkley out of the #1 spot.  Now Barkley is more likely to be there at 3 when the Jets select.  If the Jets are really going to draft a QB wouldn't they rather say something like, "Our team has a lot of needs and we have two solid QBs on our roster already.  We are not married to a QB, we are just going to follow our draft board and select the best player available."   That at least establishes a little bit of doubt in the Brown's mind about what you are going to do. 

By saying that you are going to draft a QB, it also increases the heat on your division rival (the Bills) to sell the farm and move ahead of you at one or two to do what???  To draft a QB.  Maybe the QB you want.  It just makes no sense to tip your hand like that.  I've just never seen a GM come out six weeks before the draft and tell everyone that they are going to draft a QB.  If you are selecting first overall it doesn't matter.  If you are drafting third, and the two teams ahead of you may or may not draft a QB, and you have other teams who can still trade up ahead of you and grab your QB, telling the whole world you're going QB is asinine.

It would also make the Jet's free agency quarterback orgy make more sense.  Why did they grab McCown and Bridgewater?  I've heard their explanation and it still doesn't make any sense.  Maybe they feel like Bridgewater has a legit chance to be a franchise QB and McCown returns as the insurance policy.  Bridgewater did look sharp before he went down and if the Jets think his knee is good to go, I think he does have a good shot at being a franchise QB.  Makes a lot more sense than carrying a Rookie/McCown/Bridgewater on the roster all year. 

Are they really spending all that draft capital trading up to select the third QB off the board in this year's draft?

At the end of the day, Barkley is the consensus best player in this draft. I'm a Penn State fan and followed him all year.  He really is a generational talent. Maybe the Jets are trying to play a bit of poker this year and are hoping to enter the 2018 season with Bridgewater under center throwing and handing off to Barkley.  Not a bad combo... 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Jets come out and have an interview with MMQB and basically tell the world that they are going to draft a QB at 3.  Who tips their hand like that?  Everyone might suspect you're going QB, but you don't admit it.  What that does is force the Browns to draft a QB to make sure they get their #1 QB on the board and effectively takes Barkley out of the #1 spot.  Now Barkley is more likely to be there at 3 when the Jets select.  

It would also make the Jet's free agency quarterback orgy make more sense.  Why did they grab McCown and Bridgewater?  I've heard their explanation and it still doesn't make any sense.  Maybe they feel like Bridgewater has a legit chance to be a franchise QB and McCown returns as the insurance policy.  Bridgewater did look sharp before he went down and if the Jets think his knee is good to go he does have a good shot at being a franchise QB.  Makes a lot more sense than carrying Rookie/McCown/Bridgewater on the roster all year.

At the end of the day, Barkley is the consensus best player in this draft. Maybe the Jets are trying to play a bit of poker this year and are hoping to enter the 2018 season with Bridgewater and Barkley.  Not a bad combo...

As good as Barkley is, I don’t think they’d give up that much value to grab him and to stick to an AFCE rival.  They are going QB

• Like (+1) 1

If they feel that they already have their franchise QB in Bridgewater, they are trading up to select the consensus best player in the draft who was not likely to fall to them at 6.

They inquired about the number 1 pick with Cleveland.

That is a very solid clue that they will be drafting a QB in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If they feel that they already have their franchise QB in Bridgewater, they are trading up to select the consensus best player in the draft who was not likely to fall to them at 6.

Bridgewater is on a 1 year deal with less than 1 million guaranteed

Picking an RB this early is weird but defensible because of how good Barkley is. Trading up to do so would all but be evidence of traumatic brain injury.

And they don't have to be picking the third QB. They could be very strongly convinced that one of the top two teams isn't going QB. They could also be interested primarily in one QB who they think fits their system, who they are convinced the top two teams value less highly. Mayfield, maybe, or even Rosen if they think the top two go Darold and Allen.

I think they're not smoke-screening because smoke-screening this because doing so would be like pretending you're going to date Aileen Wuornos over Kate Upton. Not worth the breath.

Edited by Thurman#1

What if the Jets are running the annexation of Puerto Rico and this all designed to make us THINK they're taking Barkley but they 're actually just trying to make us jealous so WE will trade into the 3 spot and take Barkley when they actually want Allen...

Point is, everything is smoke and mirrors and nothing is as it seems. 

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

Exactly my point.  The Jets may be pulling a Rope-a-Dope by saying they're going QB.

Playing opossum to get us to do something dumb and impulsive.  Its brilliant.  This Maccagnan guy may have been former KGB and we're playing right into his hands.  I'm sick thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Jets come out and have an interview with MMQB and basically tell the world that they are going to draft a QB at 3.  Who tips their hand like that?  Everyone might suspect you're going QB, but you don't admit it.  What that does is force the Browns to draft a QB to make sure they get the #1 QB on their board and effectively takes Barkley out of the #1 spot.  Now Barkley is more likely to be there at 3 when the Jets select.  If the Jets are really going to draft a QB wouldn't they rather say something like, "Our team has a lot of needs and we have two solid QBs on our roster already.  We are not married to a QB, we are just going to follow our draft board and select the best player available."   That at least establishes a little bit of doubt in the Brown's mind about what you are going to do. 

By saying that you are going to draft a QB, it also increases the heat on your division rival (the Bills) to sell the farm and move ahead of you at one or two to do what???  To draft a QB.  Maybe the QB you want.  It just makes no sense to tip your hand like that.  I've just never seen a GM come out six weeks before the draft and tell everyone that they are going to draft a QB.  If you are selecting first overall it doesn't matter.  If you are drafting third, and the two teams ahead of you may or may not draft a QB, and you have other teams who can still trade up ahead of you and grab your QB, telling the whole world you're going QB is asinine.

It would also make the Jet's free agency quarterback orgy make more sense.  Why did they grab McCown and Bridgewater?  I've heard their explanation and it still doesn't make any sense.  Maybe they feel like Bridgewater has a legit chance to be a franchise QB and McCown returns as the insurance policy.  Bridgewater did look sharp before he went down and if the Jets think his knee is good to go, I think he does have a good shot at being a franchise QB.  Makes a lot more sense than carrying a Rookie/McCown/Bridgewater on the roster all year. 

Are they really spending all that draft capital trading up to select the third QB off the board in this year's draft?

At the end of the day, Barkley is the consensus best player in this draft. I'm a Penn State fan and followed him all year.  He really is a generational talent. Maybe the Jets are trying to play a bit of poker this year and are hoping to enter the 2018 season with Bridgewater under center throwing and handing off to Barkley.  Not a bad combo... 

First of all, your name and logo are awesome.   This though has got to be wishful thinking.  No one would be crazy enough to give THREE second rounders to move up only three spots to do anything other than get a QB.  I mean the jets paid the Iron Price for that pick

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

How is moving up to get the player you want a "rope-a-dope"?

By telling the world your going to draft a QB when you are really targeting Barkley.  That's the Rope-a-Dope.  Now the Browns go QB at one, it increases the chances that the Bills trade up to 2 to take a QB, and who is left sitting there at 3...  Barkley

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

By telling the world your going to draft a QB when you are really targeting Barkley.  That's the Rope-a-Dope.  Now the Browns go QB at one, it increases the chances that the Bills trade up to 2 to take a QB, and who is left sitting there at 3...  Barkley

Why don't they just move up to 2?

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

Can you further define rope-a-dope?  

10 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

First of all, your name and logo are awesome.   This though has got to be wishful thinking.  No one would be crazy enough to give THREE second rounders to move up only three spots to do anything other than get a QB.  I mean the jets paid the Iron Price for that pick

I know it sounds INCONCEIVABLE!   But we are talking about the Jets here....

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

But they don’t think they have their future qb or they wouldn’t have signed him to a 1 year deal.

Edited by NewEra

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But they don’t think they have their future qb or they wouldn’t have signed him to a 1 year deal.

Fair point, but if they had signed Bridgwater to a franchise QB contract wouldn't that tip their hand that they may not be in the QB market this year?  He's under contract right now.  What's to stop the Jets from renegotiating his contract after the draft to lock him down for a few more years for starter money.  Bridgewater would jump at that.

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Fair point, but if they had signed Bridgwater to a franchise QB contract wouldn't that tip their hand that they may not be in the QB market this year?  He's under contract right now.  What's to stop the Jets from renegotiating his contract after the draft to lock him down for a few more years for starter money.  Bridgewater would jump at that.

So they only signed Teddy to a one year deal so they could be sneaky in the draft?  ? I realize that we’re talking about the jets but I think you’re overthinking this just a bit

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So they only signed Teddy to a one year deal so they could be sneaky in the draft?  ? I realize that we’re talking about the jets but I think you’re overthinking this just a bit

Just playing Devil's Advocate.  Odds are that the Jets are going QB........   

But why on earth would they come out and admit that fact is beyond me.  Makes me wonder if something else is afoot.  Maybe they fell in love with Barkley and they just don't think he will make it to 6.  Maybe they watch Game of Thrones and are going into full blown Lannister mode to try and get him.

40 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You're delusional. This whole thread is ridiculous. 

No one is treating Bridgewater as a franchise QB, that's why he signed what is an awful contract by QB standards. If no one else was offering more than 500k for 1 year, he is clearly not the plan and they won't restructure after the draft.

Secondly, after making that trade, they won't convince anyone they aren't after a QB. Giants won't trade with them, Browns won't trade 1. They made a decision they are fine with any of their top 3 QB prospects in this draft.

The smoke screen isn't about position for them, it's about which QB. 

The whole premise of your theory is just dumb.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Possible, but not likely.  As a previous poster suggested, why would they give up so much for anything other than a QB?

I agree it makes little sense, but if you’re stupid enough to take a RB at 3, you’re stupid enough to trade up for the privilege,

28 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate.  Odds are that the Jets are going QB........   

But why on earth would they come out and admit that fact is beyond me.  Makes me wonder if something else is afoot.  Maybe they fell in love with Barkley and they just don't think he will make it to 6.  Maybe they watch Game of Thrones and are going into full blown Lannister mode to try and get him.

So this was the basis of your thread? I can't believe I wasted my time.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

13 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're delusional. This whole thread is ridiculous. 

No one is treating Bridgewater as a franchise QB, that's why he signed what is an awful contract by QB standards. If no one else was offering more than 500k for 1 year, he is clearly not the plan and they won't restructure after the draft.

Secondly, after making that trade, they won't convince anyone they aren't after a QB. Giants won't trade with them, Browns won't trade 1. They made a decision they are fine with any of their top 3 QB prospects in this draft.

The smoke screen isn't about position for them, it's about which QB. 

The first two words of this thread's title are,  "What if" 

I'm not saying that they are taking a QB,  I'm simply wondering why they would tell everyone that they are taking a QB when it can only hurt them to do so.  You say that the Browns and Giants are not trading out of their spots.  I haven't heard that anywhere.  To the contrary, I've heard the GM for the Giants say on TV that he will listen to any offer. I don't think there is a chance in Hell the Giants would trade picks with the Jets because of their unique relationship, just like we would never trade a draft pick with the Jets or Patriots.

I think this thread is fun and posits a credible question.  Why would an NFL GM tell the world how they are going to draft?  What are the possible reasons for that?  In this instance, the possibility that they are targeting Barkley would be one of those reasons.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

10 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The first two words of this thread's title are,  "What if" 

I'm not saying that they are taking a QB,  I'm simply wondering why they would tell everyone that they are taking a QB when it can only hurt them to do so.  You say that the Browns and Giants are not trading out of their spots.  I haven't heard that anywhere.  To the contrary, I've heard the GM for the Giants say on TV that he will listen to any offer. I don't think there is a chance in Hell the Giants would trade picks with the Jets because of their unique relationship, just like we would never trade a draft pick with the Jets or Patriots.

I think this thread is fun and posits a credible question.  Why would an NFL GM tell the world how they are going to draft?  What are the possible reasons for that?  In this instance, the possibility that they are targeting Barkley would be one of those reasons.

The Browns GM also said to call him about the number 1 pick. I dont think that's happening at all. I also never said the Giants wouldn't trade out. I'd apologize for misrepresenting your sorry excuse for a thread if you didn't do the same in an even worse fashion.

I don't find discussing what ifs that are definitely impossibilities as interesting. But their is a whole genre of fan fiction and things like that dedicated to this kind of stuff. So you're clearly not alone.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Yes.  The Jets master plan is to give up all those picks and pray the Giants don't take Barkley. 

BTW - Only two first round top five running backs have won the Superbowl with the team that drafted them (Lewis and Bush) since 1980.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So this was the basis of your thread? I can't believe I wasted my time.

38 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The Browns GM also said to call him about the number 1 pick. I dont think that's happening at all. I also never said the Giants wouldn't trade out. I'd apologize for misrepresenting your sorry excuse for a thread if you didn't do the same in an even worse fashion.

I don't find discussing what ifs that are definitely impossibilities as interesting. But their is a whole genre of fan fiction and things like that dedicated to this kind of stuff. So you're clearly not alone.

If you don't want to read threads based on what ifs and speculation, then I'm not sure this board is the place you want to be for the next six weeks.

This thread is no different than the dozen threads about who the Bills are going to trade up with, who the Bills are going to draft, which QB the Browns are going to draft, which QB falls to the Jets... It's all speculation.  No different from my question....    What if the Jets are targeting Barkley?  

I don't claim to have any insider info.  I laid out my reasoning as clearly as I could in my initial post.  You can agree with it, disagree with it, ignore it, respond to it, or anything else you like to do.  But I am not forcing you to waste your time on it.  If I had that kind of power over the universe I would use it on something truly miraculous like making my kids turn off the lights when they walk out of a room or putting down their cell phones for ten seconds.  I wouldn't waste it on making people respond to my posts on this message board.

At the end of the day I suspect the Jets will draft a QB at 3, but I still come back to my initial point, why in the Hell would they tell people that's what they are going to do?  It just makes no sense. One possible explanation is that they are targeting Barkley.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya

It was Crowell that they picked up and he is a solid pass catching RB.   

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

They're drafting a QB, you don't trade all those 2nd for a RB, which they picked up a good one in FA, Isiah Crowell I think?

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

"Delusional", "ridiculous", "dumb", "sorry excuse for a thread"....

Seriously ODB?  I know that this time of year sees way more than it's fair share of unnecessary, frustrating, and sometimes pointless threads.  But is there really any need for name-calling and personal insults?  I respect your viewpoints and opinions on here, and IMO you are a valued member of this board.  

I could maybe understand you getting frustrated and replying once. But three separate posts?  I don't think there's any need for that on here sir. 

I'm not asking this question in the hopes that it makes it easier for the Bills to move up and snag one of the elite QBs.   I think after the Jet's traded up to 3 it is going to be too costly for the Bills to move up.  I hope the Bills stay at 12.  I would rather the Bills take Rudolph with a later pick and use their draft capital to fill in some holes in their roster with all their picks.  Let McCarron, Rudolph, and Peterman battle it out in camp for the starting job. But that's a conversation for a different thread.

24 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Its over. Theyre taking a QB. Deal with it.

Don't see it.  Don't see the value in taking a RB way up that high in the draft.

Look at the Bills acquisition of McCoy...we bought him for $1.99 in the discount aisle....despite the guy being one of the few elite runners in the game IMO.