Bob McGinn's Anonymous Scouts Quotes (2018 QBs)

I was warned last year for posting the whole article so here's just the QBs, which is the big topic around here.

https://www.bobmcginnfootball.com/category/more/draft/

Based on interviews with five NFL executives in personnel, it is possible to narrow down somewhat the pool of players that might be considered by the Patriots regardless of position if they exercise their current 31st selection in the first round of the draft on April 26.

SAM DARNOLD*, QB, Southern California: 6-3 ½, 221.

Only one of the top quarterbacks that elected not to throw at the NFL combine Saturday in Indianapolis. Third-year sophomore gave up final two seasons of eligibility. “There was no need for him to stay,” said one scout. “Off the field is all there. The guy’s a winner. He’s a playmaker. He’s got a lot that you look for. You’ve got to take a chance with him.” Compared by another scout to Andrew Luck. “Luck went back for another year (at Stanford in 2011) and improved so much,” he said. “He needed to do what Luck did. The more I watched Darnold I see the same guy. Luck was a big-time athlete with a big-time arm. I didn’t like Darnold’s motion. He fumbles a lot because he drops his arm. Once he brings his arm up he’s really quick. Thing that impressed me the most about him is his eyes. Things don’t seem to bother him. If you watch the Ohio State game (in the Cotton Bowl) he got the crap kicked out of him in the first half but came back and had a great second half.” His 40-yard time was 4.85 seconds. “Quickest release of the bunch,” said a third scout. “He can move, too.”

JOSH ROSEN*, QB, UCLA: 6-4, 226.

Third-year junior with three seasons as the starter. “He may be the best pure passer of the bunch,” said one scout. “It all depends on his personality. Aaron Rodgers was a cocky (bleep) when he came out, too.” Another scout called Rosen the best pure thrower since Drew Brees. “He throws effortlessly,” he said. “His mechanics are excellent. Only thing that worries me about him is his body. He’s slightly built … he’s been banged up a lot. He also has not improved since his freshman year.” Noel Mazzone served as the Bruins’ offensive coordinator during Rosen’s freshman season before departing for Texas A&M. “The second year was a total disaster,” the scout said of 2016 when Kennedy Polamalu served as the Bruins’ coordinator. “This year (Rosen) came back a little bit.” Completed just 60.9% in his 30-game career. “He looks the part when he throws the ball but he lacks the rest of the assets you need to be a winning quarterback up here,” a third scout said. “Off the field he doesn’t have that profile you want for someone leading your team. He’s a talented pocket passer when things are clean but things aren’t clean in the NFL, you know?” Clocked 4.85.

BAKER MAYFIELD, QB, Oklahoma: 6-0 ½, 215.

In mid-October, former 49ers GM/Packers personnel man Scot McCloughan didn’t hesitate in anointing Mayfield as the No. 1 QB in the draft. “He reminds me of a shorter version of Brett Favre,” McCloughan, who went to work for the Browns last month as a consultant, told Fox sports radio. “Tough guy. He can throw it. He’s very confident, and he’s not afraid whatsoever … whatsoever. He’s a battler. I know saying Brett Favre’s a big name, and I was around him for a while, but this guy has talent.” McCloughan predicted three quarterbacks would land in the top 10 and five would be selected in the first round. “He’s got an arm, he’s got vision, he’s got toughness, he’s got poise, he’s got leadership, he wins,” said another scout. “If he was 6-2 there wouldn’t even be a question he’d be the No. 1 (overall pick). Russell Wilson is very much a comparison.” In December, he became the first walk-on to win the Heisman Trophy. “The coaches there (Oklahoma) say he’s not (Johnny) Manziel but I see Manziel,” said a third scout. “He’s bigger and stronger but not as fast or as quick. He’s short, his game’s outside the pocket and he’s not Drew Brees or Russell Wilson. He holds the ball. I think he has some problems seeing in the pocket. When he runs he doesn’t slide. In the NFL, when you play the game outside the pocket, eventually you’re going to get hurt.” Ran a 4.81 40.

JOSH ALLEN*, QB, Wyoming: 6-5, 237.

Farm boy from California who had zero offers out of high school and played one season in junior college. “He’s got incredible arm talent,” said one scout. “He had subpar talent around him. His accuracy issues aren’t that bad. He’s going in the top 10.” Fine athlete with good speed (4.75) and a 33 ½-inch vertical jump. “He reminds me of (Blake) Bortles,” a second scout said. “Bortles lacked consistent accuracy and I see the same thing with Allen. Big-time athlete but really an inconsistent passer. I don’t see (Carson) Wentz. Some people do because they had the same coach (Craig Bohl). Wentz was a very mature, confident person.” Two-year starter. “He looks the part and a good athlete,” a third scout said. “But you talk about lacking in being a winning quarterback. He has a lot of bad tape (even) at that level. Somebody will still take him high. Are we going on what the tape is and the production and the winning? Or are we going on this guy looks like he should be an NFL quarterback and how he throws the ball?”

LAMAR JACKSON*, QB, Louisville: 6-2, 216.

Finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in 2017 after winning it in 2016. “He’s overlooked,” one scout said. “I think people are just kind of taking the easy way out trying to evaluate him instead of actually looking at what he does and the offense he plays in and the throws he makes from the pocket. He’s come a long way from last year to (2017). He’s just not running around when he doesn’t have to … all you hear is Lamar runs all the time. It’s not the case. He takes care of the ball.” Third-year junior with 4,132 yards rushing (50 TDs) and a 57% completion mark. “He’s a lesser Robert Griffin,” another scout said. “He’s stronger physically than Griffin. I don’t know if he’s as fast but he’s close. Big-time athlete, but those guys don’t last long.” Added a third scout: “He’ll go in the second round. He’s got incredible athletic ability. I think he projects to receiver as opposed to a quarterback.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

Other than Darnold, I'm not sure any of these guys are worth moving up for in the top 5.  It would be ballsy but if the Bills wait it out at 12 they might have a shot at Jackson.  I think Daboll could put him in an offense where his talents could shine.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't understand the love for Darnold at all!! Even those scout quotes of him they don't mention his quarterbacking only to say his motion stinks and he fumbles a lot. 

Then the quotes for Rosen are he has a perfect arm. Perfect mechanics, and says he is the best pure passer since drew brees.....So um why isn't he number 1??? Because he is a little skinny??

Edited by peterpan
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I don't understand the love for Darnold at all!! Even those scout quotes of him they don't mention his quarterbacking only to say his motion stinks and he fumbles a lot. 

Then the quotes for Rosen are he has a perfect arm. Perfect mechanics, and says he is the best pure passer since drew brees.....So um why isn't he number 1??? Because he is a little skinny??

I think you missed the part about being a playmaker in that profile above. 

"The quotes are anonymous, however they may very well be planted to throw others off.  Really can't trust anything except straight news this close to the draft"

I would stress that you make an exception for Bob McGinn.

He recently retired from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, but as easily been one of the most skilled and respected newspaper writers of this past generation.

I always look forward to reading McGinn's draft material, as no one, yes no one, is better connected around the league.

He is a must read this time of year and in upcoming columns will post about each position group.

Edited by Bag of Milk

10 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

The quotes are anonymous, however they may very well be planted to throw others off.  Really can't trust anything except straight news this close to the draft.

"Everybody's robbin' the same train."

Buddy Nix

Circa: forever

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I think you missed the part about being a playmaker in that profile above. 

I didn't miss it, it took that to mean he scrambles for yards.  Usually after he misses a read and faces unessecary pressure in the pocket etc.

Just now, peterpan said:

I didn't miss it, it took that to mean he scrambles for yards.  Usually after he misses a read and faces unessecary pressure in the pocket etc.

He buys time, goes through progressions, and makes plays. Sure, sometimes he scrambles for yards but usually not before he's exhausted the possibilities. 

13 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Darnold isn't very good I don't get it. Watch the UCLA usc game and keep in mind how much better usc is and how bad UCLA is

Yeah - or watch Texas @ USC.   Darnold made a lot of good plays, but he made a lot of bad ones too.

49 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Darnold isn't very good I don't get it. Watch the UCLA usc game and keep in mind how much better usc is and how bad UCLA is

Yep, he’s on a loaded team and he still stinks.  I don’t understand how this guy is considered a first round pick.  Matt Leinert 2.0, without the accuracy or winning.

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

Rosen has taken a lot of hits, had two concussions last year.  His personality is not considered a strength and to me seems a bit aloof.  Comes from a very well-to-do family and his desire may wane if he gets hurt in the NFL, which is probable based on his collegiate history.

Those issues preclude him as the best available QB of this group.

• Like (+1) 1

Just a gut feeling but I think they like Rosen and if his interview goes well they'll move to get him

2 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Rosen has taken a lot of hits, had two concussions last year.  His personality is not considered a strength and to me seems a bit aloof.  Comes from a very well-to-do family and his desire may wane if he gets hurt in the NFL, which is probable based on his collegiate history.

Those issues preclude him as the best available QB of this group.

The desire thing.  He could have been a world class tennis player.  But he chose a team game in football.  So if anything to me it's a positive on his desire

If we were strictly talking talent Rosen is superior to  Darnold.   I think ppl are so smitten with Darnold off the field and his overall personality that they allow that to trump his deficiencies in skill.  If Darnold had Rosen's or Mayfields personality where would he rank.

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

The quotes are anonymous, however they may very well be planted to throw others off.  Really can't trust anything except straight news this close to the draft.

If only you were the GM of all the teams drafting ahead of the Bills.

They Might Think Mason Rudolf is their guy...should be there at 12. After reading those QB scout quotes it seems.... like you need to take a guy and try to mold him into an NFL QB...there are no For Sure Prospects in this class like Andrew Luck.....so grab a guy you like and don't go chasing rainbows..LOL;)

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

His personality is not considered a strength and to me seems a bit aloof.  Comes from a very well-to-do family and his desire may wane if he gets hurt in the NFL, which is probable based on his collegiate history.

Those who assume make an...

4 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Link didn't point to article for me and looks like this message was also put on a Pats* board.

I linked to McGinn's draft section, but you need a subscription to read the content I posted, so I couldn't link the article directly.  They are also posted on bostonsportsjournal.com but that also requires a subscription.  I only took the QBs and posted them here, there are many more players in the complete articles.

6 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

"The quotes are anonymous, however they may very well be planted to throw others off.  Really can't trust anything except straight news this close to the draft"

I would stress that you make an exception for Bob McGinn.

He recently retired from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, but as easily been one of the most skilled and respected newspaper writers of this past generation.

I always look forward to reading McGinn's draft material, as no one, yes no one, is better connected around the league.

He is a must read this time of year and in upcoming columns will post about each position group.

Yup.

And he does this with five different guys with different teams and different agendas. One guy smoke-screening gets swallowed up by the others. Yeah, maybe one guy wants everyone to stay away from Darnold. The others know their teams aren't involved. Involving a lot of guys levels things out.

And yes, McGinn is very good.

12 hours ago, BillsGuru4 said:

Or watch darnold vs penn st in the rose bowl. STUD

You can't possibly be watching the same game?  I found this clip and he looks so god awful! His ball placement is terrible.  His mechanics are awful.  He is late on his reads and misses reads and gets himself into trouble.  This guy is a turnover machine.