Anybody else getting the feeling that this was all part of Beane's plan?

CLTbills

8 hours ago, Putin said:

How do you know all those moves were made so we could move up to #2 or # 3 ? 

Because you watch  ESPN ?

The OP said all those things in his theory. Otherwise what do the Bills have to do with the Jets trading up.

Douche.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

9 hours ago, akm0404 said:

I sincerely hope you are correct.  Beane is playing a dangerous game with the fans by making it look by all accounts that he wanted to acquire resources to move up to the top for a QB but really wanted to sit back and BPA.  It might be the right move, but it's definitely dangerous to lead everyone to believe they were going to get a new QB and instead take a linebacker and corner.

No..most season ticket holders are older,established and dedicated.Being competitive every week and having depth is more important than trying to make a big splash on a player that has proven not one thing on the NFL level.

Uh , no. Make no mistake , Beane wanted the Colts pick at 3. The Jets had a higher pick, and he got blocked. It happens. The Giants and Browns hold the cards right now. You can bet they've already had some discussions, perhaps a week or more ago. A move is still possible, but the cost went up for sure. If there was a deal in place , you'd want it sent to the league office asap. At least if you were Beane. Only the teams holding the coveted picks have anything to gain by waiting at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think there's a chance they are deep in negotiations with the Giants.  I think there's zero chance they are sitting on an agreed upon trade.

If the Giants pick is available, I think the most likely scenario is we've been told to get up to the 4-8 range before going to 2.

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't think it was with the reports that the Bills were in on the #3 pick trade discussions. 

Do we really know this was true?  Seems we only ever "hear" what they want us to hear.  Didn't hear anything about Tyrod trade or Glenn trade until it happened.  Didn't hear about the Jets talking to Indy.  So, we are to believe that Beane or Indy (didn't leak the Jets talks) let everyone know they were talking trade?

I think all the "experts" got hyped up because of the Tyrod and Glenn trades and thought "holy crap, Buffalo is going for Rosen or Top 3 pick!!!!!". When in reality they were likely trading those guys to get some cap relief and to trade up enough to get a top 15 pick.

I think Beane is being somewhat honest when he says they aren't/weren't planning to move up. They seem to have a value system that is formed through conversations between front office personnel, and they will stick to that value system over any overarching plan to take one route or another. i.e, they will trade up only if they feel that they are getting better value than what they are giving up. They have a ton of options as to how to handle this.

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

Do we really know this was true?  Seems we only ever "hear" what they want us to hear.  Didn't hear anything about Tyrod trade or Glenn trade until it happened.  Didn't hear about the Jets talking to Indy.  So, we are to believe that Beane or Indy (didn't leak the Jets talks) let everyone know they were talking trade?

I think all the "experts" got hyped up because of the Tyrod and Glenn trades and thought "holy crap, Buffalo is going for Rosen or Top 3 pick!!!!!". When in reality they were likely trading those guys to get some cap relief and to trade up enough to get a top 15 pick.

Not the case as I provided a link earlier and it only makes sense that the Bills were in on trying to move up. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

It was mentioned by McShay after the trade was done. 

8 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

It doesn't matter what the Jets did. We have the luxury of possibly finding 5 starters in the first 65 picks. We can stay at 12 and 22 and still fill two needs and get two LB's to shore up the D. IMO we are in prime position to stay where we at fill all our needs and grab a Lauletta or White in the 2nd.

Kick that can man, kick it good. 

I trust Beane and I think you may be right because the Jets could have traded to 2 to seal that they got one of the top 2 guys.

however I am panicking because it’s just like the Bills to target a QB and then in the one year they go for it, it actually blows up in their face and we wnd up fighting for 3rd in our division again. Trade to 4 and then trade 4 to Giants for 2. Giants get Barkley and everyone is happy.

9 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Everything that Beane has done has been cool and calculated.  If you listened to his comments yesterday, he even has guys at One Bills Drive holding him in check, so that he doesn't make a move that will be more costly in the end.  There is no reason to panic just because the Jets moved up.  Many on this board have preconceived notions of who the best QB in this draft is.  Quite frankly, none of us knows for sure.  And right now...neither does Beane.  If he comes to the conclusion that there is only one guy...I think he will make a most serious attempt to insure the Bills get that guy.  But...he will need to be damn sure before he mortgages the future.  He's using his head...not his emotions to make his decisions.  If you react the way many on this board react, you end up grabbing a Blaine Gabbert or a Christian Ponder...christening them your franchise QB just because they were the top rated QBs that year.  (Heck...you can throw in EJ Manual into that mix.)  There are a number of good QBs in this draft and each is flawed in some way.  After workouts and visits to One Bills Drive, the Bills will decide on who their guy is...and will do their best to get him.

Great post until the EJ aside..;)---You have to go back to Matt Millen days to reach the stupidity of that pick.

15 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

No..most season ticket holders are older,established and dedicated.Being competitive every week and having depth is more important than trying to make a big splash on a player that has proven not one thing on the NFL level.

True, and the team is very lucky they are old enough to think you can recreate the electric company to be a winning team. In 2018 you need a franchise QB. Depth doesn’t matter when you might not have a legitimate NFL starting QB on the roster. 

3 minutes ago, SlamnSam said:

Nope. He miscalculated. The jets outsmarted him and now hes screwed .

How did he miscalculate? The Colts pick was advertised as available by their GM. He reportedly tried to trade into it. The NYJ had a picks six spots higher in the first round, and their GM is on record as saying he didn't want to move out of the top ten. Where and how was Beane outsmarted? 

11 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I trust Beane and I think you may be right because the Jets could have traded to 2 to seal that they got one of the top 2 guys.

however I am panicking because it’s just like the Bills to target a QB and then in the one year they go for it, it actually blows up in their face and we wnd up fighting for 3rd in our division again. Trade to 4 and then trade 4 to Giants for 2. Giants get Barkley and everyone is happy.

Unless they couldn't because the team at 2 wasn't willing to trade with them. 

I think that Beane will announce the trade up on draft day if the player he wants is still there. The Browns with the first pick can take anyone they fancy, including the four QB's and the one RB. Probably, Gettleman will want to wait  to to see if Barkley or Darnold are there. So the deal is possibly in place now but it is dependent on what Beane wants and if they are still there.

Edited by Wily Dog

I honestly think they are content going to camp with McCarron and Peterman. If that is the case, we are waiting until 2020 to draft a QB. I think they waited too long to pull the trigger on a trade into the top four. The Giants are not going to move out of two, they are not going to miss the chance at an heir apparent or elite runner. I think we are taking best player available at 12 or trading out.

31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not the case as I provided a link earlier and it only makes sense that the Bills were in on trying to move up. 

Ok.  So since we haven't seen any links or tweets about Bills talking trade with the Giants, then I guess that's not happening then, right? 

I really think we only hear what they want us to hear, which means either (1) no trade up to 2 because the Giants are not moving or (2) they talked to the Giants and have a deal, depending on who is available at 2.

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

Ok.  So since we haven't seen any links or tweets about Bills talking trade with the Giants, then I guess that's not happening then, right? 

I really think we only hear what they want us to hear, which means either (1) no trade up to 2 because the Giants are not moving or (2) they talked to the Giants and have a deal, depending on who is available at 2.

Wrong. 

The Jets trade hurt their chances for sure.  I don’t see any way Bean is going to sell the farm to move to #2.  It would cost both firsts, seconds and next years first and possibly more to get there.  That’s if the Giants even want to trade it.  

No. I don’t get that feeling at all. I think we dicked around and over played our hand. Now we are probably screwed. I have liked a lot of what these guys have done leading up to today and I thought we were finally going to get a legit top notch QB....Today was very bad for us. Anyone who thinks otherwise is thinking with their heart.

40 minutes ago, SlamnSam said:

Nope. He miscalculated. The jets outsmarted him and now hes screwed .

The Jets outsmarted him.

From a long time NY City boy, you have to know just how funny you sound putting the words "Jets" and "outsmarted" together. Especially in a case like this ... where the GM screwed the pooch on this position so many times its absurd that he's still employed.

• He drafted the schmucks on the roster (Hack/Petty) that he's now going to have to cut. 
  • instead of offering Cousins enough to not look back, he let him get away
  • then, instead of having a plan to offer a Pro Bowl QB, a playoff starting QB real money at $18MM, he spent $15MM on two backups.
  • finally, he overspent to move a couple of draft picks - presumably to take Josh Allen. The draft capital used could have been sufficient to truly stock his team with good talent, direly needed. 

All told, the Jets will have sunk the SIXTH overall pick in the first round, FOUR very high second round picks, and a fourth round pick to resolve the QB position, and their solution is presumably Josh Allen for all that time spent.

Outsmarted. OK. Yeah. I'm worried about the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

The way I look at it he didn't have to give up much to move all the way to 12. Beane still have options and depending on the Browns 1st pick, he can negotiate a fair deal with the Giants. Or we can stay put, hope a QB falls to us and we retain all the 2nd/3rd round picks. 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

The way I look at it he didn't have to give up much to move all the way to 12. Beane still have options and depending on the Browns 1st pick, he can negotiate a fair deal with the Giants. Or we can stay put, hope a QB falls to us and we retain all the 2nd/3rd round picks. 

Beane's job isn't predicated on hope. He needs to gauge the QB draft market correctly and position the team for long term sustained success by acquiring a franchise QB. 

I’m not usually the type to worry about this stuff but after how good Watson loooked last year (and I wanted to draft him)...if Mahomes plays well and if god forbid the Jets get a great QB now and we are left with trash, Beane is going to look bad. We made all the trades last year so we could move up and get the qb this year. I never got upset about all the talent we moved because the eye was on this draft. If we don’t go up ahead of the Jets, I am going to be pissed. 

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not usually the type to worry about this stuff but after how good Watson loooked last year (and I wanted to draft him)...if Mahomes plays well and if god forbid the Jets get a great QB now and we are left with trash, Beane is going to look bad. We made all the trades last year so we could move up and get the qb this year. I never got upset about all the talent we moved because the eye was on this draft. If we don’t go up ahead of the Jets, I am going to be pissed. 

Except Beane wasn't the Bills GM at the time of last years draft

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Except Beane wasn't the Bills GM at the time of last years draft

We all know the last draft was this regimes draft. I guess it probably wasn’t tech Beane but the guys who made those picks are here now. I’m just saying it’s not going to be good if the Jets get Rosen and we are stuck with the 2018 JP Losman.

"I’ve met them all, but some of them for 15 minutes and that’s not enough to even draft a guy at 12. I don’t know what we’re doing, we have six weeks to the draft, and over that time I’m going to try to get to know every player, not only the quarterbacks, of who we’re going to consider.”

Brandon Beane on Friday

I hope he didn't tell the Colts something similar when they told him the Jets had an offer and asked do you want to counter?

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

12 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Man I hope this is the case.

12 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I don't know. I just have this feeling. I have no "inside sources" or anything like that. But this just feels to me like Beane is sitting in his chair at OBD with a big grin on his face. Either they truly have no intentions of moving up from 12 and he made the Jets give away all of their draft capital, OR he already has a deal for #2 in place and didn't want to let anybody know.... Therefore the Jets STILL give up all of their draft capital, and still can't get in front of us.

I don't know. It's just that everything they've done to this point has all been 2-3 steps ahead.

then why isn't it done yet?

he has no deal in place.

18 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We all know the last draft was this regimes draft. I guess it probably wasn’t tech Beane but the guys who made those picks are here now. I’m just saying it’s not going to be good if the Jets get Rosen and we are stuck with the 2018 JP Losman.

There's no probably or technically about  it. He hadn't been hired , Whaley was still employed as GM. Obviously  McDermott was here, but many  of the Bills personnel people and scouting staff were fired after Whaley was shown the door. It's quite possible that there are few if any staffers that had a hand in 2017 draft remaining. 

8 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

"I’ve met them all, but some of them for 15 minutes and that’s not enough to even draft a guy at 12. I don’t know what we’re doing, we have six weeks to the draft, and over that time I’m going to try to get to know every player, not only the quarterbacks, of who we’re going to consider.”

Brandon Beane on Friday

I hope he didn't tell the Colts something similar when they told him the Jets had an offer and asked do you want to counter?

Highly doubtful . The Jets were already 6 spots ahead of Buffalo and still overpaid according to value charts. Pretty easy decision by the Colts even if the points were comparable. 

12 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I don't know. I just have this feeling. I have no "inside sources" or anything like that. But this just feels to me like Beane is sitting in his chair at OBD with a big grin on his face. Either they truly have no intentions of moving up from 12 and he made the Jets give away all of their draft capital, OR he already has a deal for #2 in place and didn't want to let anybody know.... Therefore the Jets STILL give up all of their draft capital, and still can't get in front of us.

I don't know. It's just that everything they've done to this point has all been 2-3 steps ahead.

Dont see it. How can a trade between 2 other teams be part of his plan? 

If he had a deal for #2 already, why not just go ahead and do it now? 

We’re making Beane out to be a savant. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

There's no probably or technically about  it. He hadn't been hired , Whaley was still employed as GM. Obviously  McDermott was here, but many  of the Bills personnel people and scouting staff were fired after Whaley was shown the door. It's quite possible that there are few if any staffers that had a hand in 2017 draft remaining. 

Highly doubtful . The Jets were already 6 spots ahead of Buffalo and still overpaid according to value charts. Pretty easy decision by the Colts even if the points were comparable. 

And probably Beane just using GM speak.  I mean...he has to know.  If the Jets already know who they like.  Beane has to know.  

21 hours ago, akm0404 said:

I sincerely hope you are correct.  Beane is playing a dangerous game with the fans by making it look by all accounts that he wanted to acquire resources to move up to the top for a QB but really wanted to sit back and BPA.  It might be the right move, but it's definitely dangerous to lead everyone to believe they were going to get a new QB and instead take a linebacker and corner.

First, I hope with all hope Beane does not factor in "fan reaction" to his moves.  That would be silly.  Second, this is his livelihood.....I am also fairly certain he does not view this as a game with fans.  The bold section above is illustrative of flawed logic by the group of fans who want to forfeit this years draft, parts of next years draft, and even "Shady" (as some have noted) to go "all in" on a prospect in a pool of QB prospects that is generally regarded as over rated.  There are absolutely no "cannot misses" in this draft.  Sure, 1 or 2 of them, over the long-term may prove to be "generational" but those could end up being Rudolph or Jackson. There are noted flaws, some significant, to the top tier quarterbacks, Beane's moves to acquire draft picks did not look like a positioning to gain capital to move up and draft one.  This is one perspective of many.  To me it looked like we finally have a GM who understands using the draft to improve talent, in bulk.  I could be wrong.  Who knows, but Beane's moves suggested really nothing beyond trying to improve the team.

None of us knows.  We never know.  This is the fun part of the off season!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

First, I hope with all hope Beane does not factor in "fan reaction" to his moves.  That would be silly.  Second, this is his livelihood.....I am also fairly certain he does not view this as a game with fans.  The bold section above is illustrative of flawed logic by the group of fans who want to forfeit this years draft, parts of next years draft, and even "Shady" (as some have noted) to go "all in" on a prospect in a pool of QB prospects that is generally regarded as over rated.  There are absolutely no "cannot misses" in this draft.  Sure, 1 or 2 of them, over the long-term may prove to be "generational" but those could end up being Rudolph or Jackson. There are noted flaws, some significant, to the top tier quarterbacks, Beane's moves to acquire draft picks did not look like a positioning to gain capital to move up and draft one.  This is one perspective of many.  To me it looked like we finally have a GM who understands using the draft to improve talent, in bulk.  I could be wrong.  Who knows, but Beane's moves suggested really nothing beyond trying to improve the team.

None of us knows.  We never know.  This is the fun part of the off season!

This is the best QB class in the past few years and will be the best for a few years to come. Best player available when you have such a glaring hole at the most important position does not get you back to the playoffs. It sure as hell does not give you a championship. Playing it safe is the status quo at One Bills Drive. 

21 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Yea b.c the Jets were a big problem in this division...

3 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

This is the best QB class in the past few years and will be the best for a few years to come. Best player available when you have such a glaring hole at the most important position does not get you back to the playoffs. It sure as hell does not give you a championship. Playing it safe is the status quo at One Bills Drive. 

Not sure we can say it will be the best class for a few years to come; that is speculative at best and some would argue with that.  Admittedly, I would not be the best person to do so.  Interestingly enough, forfeiting our premier picks this year, and next along with "other picks or players" (as some note) also sure as hell will not give us a championship nor get us back to the playoffs. 

I feel acquiring 6 picks in the top 100 is not playing it safe.  Establishing draft 'capital' does not mean we have to get into the top 3 picks.  Things are not as black and white as any of us believe......it is fun speculating, but dumping this years draft and part of next years, from my perspective, does not help the Bills at all.