Who is the better bridge qb Tyrod or AJ McCarron?

I like McCarron's upside, but at the end of the day I don't think he is the answer. I don't think Beane and McD feel that way either. You don't ignore every big name free agent QB on the market and sign the last guy that's left if you are serious about finding a long term starter and you sure as heck don't pay 5 million a year to be a 'starter'. It's pretty obvious we are going to draft a QB high and it's very likely that the rookie will start sometime during the 2018 season.

Best case scenario is that McCarron is a gem and we have two good QBs on the roster.

Edited by NewDayBills

7 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

If AJ can be that guy he showed in his few starts, AJ all day. That guy on this team would blow our minds and make it hard for the coaches to make the transition to the rookie. That said, I think TT will be a great fit for Cleveland. I think Hue will know how to get the most out of him, not trying to squeeze him into a pocket guy. Draft Barkley 1st overall and have the nastiest backfield (Barkley/Hyde/TT) in the league.

Would people really be happy with ~180 yards passing? Thats what he averaged in his 3 starts. 

IMHO ...

I don't think McCarron was obtained to be a "bridge QB" (what ever the heck that is). McDermott is all about earning the right to compete. I think it was evident last season the Tylor was NOT the guy McDermott wanted to lead the Bills into the future, so I feel his and Beane's plan all along was to establish a QB room filled with young players with some sort of "upside" (what ever the heck that is) to compete for the starting job. That's not to say we aren't drafting a QB in the first round, or even trading up further for a "blue chip" (what ever the heck that means) QB. But keep in mind they will not let talent force them to over pay whatever value they have assigned to a particular player.

If I were to put on my Nostradumbass beanie, their plan is to trade up to pick #3 if their guy is available, and the Colts aren't expecting a kings ransom ... but I could easily see them staying pat at #12 and picking BPA until a QB coincides with their perceived value. I think their strategy is that it's more probable to succeed with three chances that one will stand out.

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I believe that Tyrod is a better player but McCarron, pick 65 and $6M (or whatever it is) in cap space is a superior situation. Once they trade up I think that they will be in much better shape at the position.

Beane has really set this team up nicely. They don’t have a ton of talent today but they have a lot of resources to add that talent. They have been responsible patient. It is an exciting time IMO.

The pick at 65 is nice but not better than 2-4 more wins next season.  The reality is Cap Space does not make plays and even if you have a ton of cap space free agents are hesitant to go to Buffalo and even more so if we post 6 wins next season with McCarron which is my projection.

Tyrod was the better bridge because we could continue to build and win games and he could also teach a rookie about hard work which wasn't a question with Tyrod.

12 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Would people really be happy with ~180 yards passing? Thats what he averaged in his 3 starts. 

Cliché answer - if they win. The idea of what he was supposed to be here could be realized there with a competent offensive mind AND the supporting cast he needs. I'm no TT fan, but I think when he has all the pieces and is used correctly, he's a weapon. The key statement - IF he has all the pieces. I was never sold on him here because I quickly realized he can't carry a team. He just plays his role.

My guess is Barkley #1 and one of the big 3 QBs at #4. Undergo their version of a TT experiment and pull the plug if it doesn't come together.

18 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Tyrods gone.      He’s on his way to becoming the next notch on this jersey 

browns-jersey.jpg

Aj all day.  

That’s a funny jersey, but sad.  It just goes to show how crazy the Browns will be to not take QB at #1.  If they take a RB they are truly nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Now that we have our "Bridge "QB, I got to thinking, did we trade Tyrod too soon?  I , for one, am glad that we signed AJ McCarron.  I am not a Tyrod hatter, but I can understand that McBeane wanted to move on from the Wrex experiment.  But  given the limited experience of McCarron and the fact that Tyrod did enough (with some luck) to get the bills to the playoffs, should we have kept TT as our Bridge?

Sorry but I find the question even ridiculous. Taylor is not a pro starting quarterback. Why haven’t some of you figured that out. No, he did not get us to the playoffs. We made it to the playoffs in spite of him.

No one except a few people on this board would ever in 1 million years see Taylor as a franchise quarterback in the NFL. AJ has that distinct possibility. It may not turn out to be the case. But then again it could. Honestly, I just don’t get it!

I think it depends on what you want from a "bridge" QB.  If you want a guy to definitely start next year as you make a playoff push, because your rookie is definitely not ready, then Tyrod.  (I think he's better than AJ, although there's a chance that AJ proves me wrong.)  But I don't think that's what the Bills are going for.  I think they plan to take a rookie QB in the top 12 (probably top 5), and ideally, they would like him to start from day 1.  But they don't want him to have to start, and they don't want him to just be handed the job.  So I think they wanted a veteran backup with some upside, who wouldn't totally kill us if he has to start 8-16 games if the rookie isn't ready.  And at $5-$8 million a year, McCarron seems a good fit for that role.  Add in the #65 pick, and I think that the Bills look very good in this exchange.  Of course, they need to hit on the rookie QB, because I'll be shocked if McCarron winds up as the answer.

As for Cleveland, I think they want to be at least semi-respectable next year.  They went 0-16 last year, which is shameful.  And they have the #1 and #4 picks this year - if those can't help them turn it around, why should anyone think another #1 pick will help next year?  So I think they traded for Tyrod with the idea that he would be their Jon Kitna to #1 overall's Carson Palmer.  I think they're hoping to go something like 8-8 under Tyrod, let him walk, and turn things over to whomever they draft this year.  They'd probably be fine with the rookie beating out Taylor at some point this year, but that's Plan B.  Plus, if the rookie can beat out a certified Pro Bowl and playoff QB, that's a pretty high bar, so the rookie must be doing well. 

On the other hand, the Bills just made the playoffs, so they have some cachet - we all want them to go back next year, but if they don't, it won't be an existential crisis like the last 10 or so years of the drought.  And everything from McDermott and Beane says that they're building long-term and are concerned with sustainable success.  (And that's great!)  I think they know they were pretty lucky to make the playoffs last year, and know they have a long way to go, and are willing to risk taking a step back to take several steps forward.

If you need to actually win games to save your job........Tyrod.......by a lot.

If you *hope* to have a winning season but can withstand a bad one.......AJM.

In a nutshell that is why TT is in Cleveland and AJM is in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Mojo44 said:

Sorry but I find the question even ridiculous. Taylor is not a pro starting quarterback. Why haven’t some of you figured that out. No, he did not get us to the playoffs. We made it to the playoffs in spite of him.

No one except a few people on this board would ever in 1 million years see Taylor as a franchise quarterback in the NFL. AJ has that distinct possibility. It may not turn out to be the case. But then again it could. Honestly, I just don’t get it!

Starting QB and franchise QB are two different things. You can’t use them interchangeably. Tyrod will be a starter for a 4th consecutive season. You can’t say that “he is not a starter.”

I don’t know how many see Tyrod or McCarron as a franchise QB? I don’t see a lot of that on here (and never did). The franchise QB will hopefully be acquired in the draft. 

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

one has shown what he can do, which was not that good, especially last season. he would still be here if he were that good.

the other has an opportunity and yet to be determined but I feel McCarron is  going to be much better delivering the ball, a better passer.

Agree. I would guess as far as being a pocket passer AJ would be the better bridge, but yes, it still remains to be seen though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

AJ isnt necessarily just a bridge. Hes a viable alternative as a long term starter if the rookie doesnt pan out (or they cant make the trade up to draft their guy.) Its a “dont put all your eggs in one basket” move. Its akin to Washingon drafting Cousins. If the Bills draft a QB this year they now have two guys who may end up being the answer instead of just the one. TT was never going to be the long term solution.

• Like (+1) 1