Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

10 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I like Cover 1 a great deal, Eric does some great stuff! And I completely respect his opinion but just for balance, Dan Orlovsky really likes AJ McCarron and even to admitting he didn't think he was a great QB until he started watching his video over his short NFL career. He does some nice breakdowns on Twitter with video and explanations...I have no idea if McCarron will pan out to anything more than a place holder, but I will say I think this is the best the Bills have done in terms of giving themselves viable, reasonably priced options in a very long time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Don Beebe said:

Looks like a pocket passer who isn't afraid to throw to a wide receiver. That alone makes him a big upgrade from Tyrod.

He must have made quite an impression on you 3 years ago.

You're Ralph Wilson to his Rob Johnson...

41 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Their draft profiles and measurables are actually really close. McCarron had an amazing college career and probably has a slightly stronger arm. Other than that it is very close. I feel like McCarron is what Peterman could be after some development. So right now McCarron > Peterman. 

Based on the limited knowledge this seems an empirical fact.

mccarron is a competent back up, Peterman is not.

where they go from here is a big ? 

24 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I gotta say, I trust what Orlovsky is seeing over Cover 1. I like his work as well, but gotta go with teh guy who has played in the league and sat in film rooms with Steve Mariucci, Gary Kubiak, Peyton Manning, and Sean McVay. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I think that Beane really covets Roquan Smith and is leaving a spot open to this point for him on our roster.  Getting someone such as Allen who should be able to sit for a year is a bonus as his biggest shortcomings such as level of competition while in college can be addressed this way.   Rosen might have more upside but he carries more negatives as well.

I didn't mean to say I wouldn't take Allen in that trade deal, I meant that as all the top tier QBs are flawed, that I would prefer the option of getting one of the top tier QBs, whomever was available at that spot , over trading up to the top 5 and using up all our draft capital and loosing it  all on a bust. The risk vs the reward is more reasonable in your trade up. I don't see any of them worth the risk of loosing all our draft capital in a top 5  draft spot trade up.

It's hindsight & I like Tyrod more than most but trading the #65 pick in order to pay him $16M when you're taking a QB at #1 anyway when you could've had McCarron as "bridge" QB for $5M & no pick is rough for Browns.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I think that Beane really covets Roquan Smith and is leaving a spot open to this point for him on our roster.  Getting someone such as Allen who should be able to sit for a year is a bonus as his biggest shortcomings such as level of competition while in college can be addressed this way.   Rosen might have more upside but he carries more negatives as well.

I wouldn't rule out Rashaan Evans, I actually like more than Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds. Josey Jewell from Iowa would be a big upgrade in the 3rd to 4th round also, he is my sleeper pick, he gets no respect, way better than draftniks give him credit for.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I like Cover 1 a great deal, Eric does some great stuff! And I completely respect his opinion but just for balance, Dan Orlovsky really likes AJ McCarron and even to admitting he didn't think he was a great QB until he started watching his video over his short NFL career. He does some nice breakdowns on Twitter with video and explanations...I have no idea if McCarron will pan out to anything more than a place holder, but I will say I think this is the best the Bills have done in terms of giving themselves viable, reasonably priced options in a very long time. 

I also like Cover1 and Eric a great deal, but I think he was pretty harsh on McCarron.  There's a reason why McCarron was drafted in the 5th, and it's primarily his weak arm.

He's basically saying that McCarron doesn't have the elite ball placement skills of a Brees or a Rodgers, and that's true.  But it's also true that QB/WR pairings can take weeks of practice to build those skills.  And at least McCarron appears to have a sense of his own limitations, which is important.  He made some mistakes in that Pitts game, and while they didn't shut him down, they did seem to activate that little neuron circuit that says "you can't do that!"

McCarron got the ball there, and his ability to move around in the pocket was much better than I thought it would be.  And he clearly was able to read the defense quickly and well, and to understand who he had to manipulate one way or the other.  It's going to be up to his OC to scheme for him what he does well and his GM to give him enough quality weapons and OL.    He's clearly helped out by having AJ Green there. 

In terms of absolute productivity he may be a downgrade on Taylor, but he's clearly a better match for the pocket passer Beane has been steadfast in saying the Bills want.

I agree with BigBuff that while we both like Cover1 and Eric Turner, we don't think he's the "last word.  @danorlovsky has some good stuff on his twitter.  Maurice Jones-Drew and Bucky Brooks did a nice Xs and Os breakdown here showing both some good plays and 2 ugly picks

My bottom line, really like the signing, like the contract, and Bills would be foolish not to continue to go all-out in the draft for the QB(s) they think suit them because AJ McCarron is not "money" to be an answer at QB. 

Bills MUST upgrade the OL because inexperienced QB make mistakes under pressure, and Bills must continue to look for that big-catch-radius "give him a chance" WR as a target for both the rookie and for McCarron, because McCarron doesn't have that pinpoint accuracy that can make ordinary WR look good.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

As a reminder Benoit isn’t a big Tyrod fan 

I'm not sure about Benoit's math.  I make us saving $10M against the cap by trading Tyrod (since the Browns pick up his roster bonus and guaranteed salary), but I like the AJ McCarron signing even more now that the details are out: he only counts $2.9M against the cap this year!  Really nicely structured contract.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Viable responsible? Maybe with McCarron but with Murphy, Star & Ivory we will have to see. I think those 3 were overpayed. Some might think otherwise.  I know one thing Star and Ivory are arrow down players and Murphy is coming off of 2 tears in mcl/acl and ped suspension. 

People here forget some the players in the past regime brought in for basically veteran minimum and overperformed even in some cases made the probowl. McBeane has yet to prove this yet . Yes Mcd was here for Poyer and Hyde but those were guys that Whaley and his staff brought to him.  

I'm just saying here people tend to overdue the job these guys have done and are quick to forget what others did in the past.  I feel bad for Whaley he put a very talented roster together to bad he never got to hire his lockstep guy or have the chance to take Mahomes or Watson last yr like some reports indicate he wanted to. 

22 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I wouldn't rule out Rashaan Evans, I actually like more than Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds. Josey Jewell from Iowa would be a big upgrade in the 3rd to 4th round also, he is my sleeper pick, he gets no respect, way better than draftniks give him credit for.

If the consensus view is correct - that there is one guy (Darnold, presumably) and the rest are clustered - it makes so much sense to stand down, fill out the roster. I could easily see Evans and taking a QB as late as #65 - or even later! Once the first wave of QBs leave the list of availables, the rest will tumble.