Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How did a talent like Allen end up at Wyoming and a dud like Mayfield end up at Oklahoma?

Not sure, but there are several potential reasons:

If the high school coach was not aggressive about contacting college coaches during the recruiting process, putting together highlight films, etc.

Allen didn't have the chance to go to a big time summer camp/ 7 on 7 competition to get seen by power 5 coaches... those things can be $$$

His high school tape and/or measurables  weren't that great...some kids grow 2-3 inches in college alone

Maybe he grew up a wyoming fan and always dreamed of playing there?

Maybe he like wide open spaces, mountains, and cold weather?

2 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

If the high school coach was not aggressive about contacting college coaches during the recruiting process, putting together highlight films, etc.

Allen didn't have the chance to go to a big time summer camp/ 7 on 7 competition to get seen by power 5 coaches... those things can be $$$

His high school tape and/or measurables  weren't that great...some kids grow 2-3 inches in college alone

Or maybe Mayfield is a more talented player.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Getting him at 12 would be a good outcome. Who could grab him before that?

Broncos seem really high on him.

Their staff was running 1 team at the senior bowl and personally requested to work with him. John Elway, Vance Joseph and Gary Kubiak all attended his pro day yesterday with 3-4 more scouts (I believe) 

There have been a lot of rumors that they really like him. 

Miami as well. 

It could just just all be a smoke screen too I guess. 

39 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If Allen played at Oklahoma with their talent and Lincoln Riley I think he is likely the #1 pick in this draft, while Baker at Wyoming with their talent is likely a borderline 1st round pick, if that.

Josh Allen freakin sucks.

Watch the tape. The guy couldn’t do it against softies in a terrible conference. When he played somebody that was worth something he folded. Terrible accuracy and despite what people think you CANNOT fix accuracy.

Picking him in the first round would be awful and set this team back years.

Again, McBeane isn’t that stupid.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Allen is from a tiny farm town in rural California.  He had to go the Juco route because no one scouted him in high school.

I give Baker props for walking on and making it, though he quit on Texas Tech when someone threatened his standing.

13 minutes ago, McBean said:

Watch the tape. The guy couldn’t do it against softies in a terrible conference. When he played somebody that was worth something he folded. Terrible accuracy and despite what people think you CANNOT fix accuracy.

I never said pick Allen.  Just saying why a team will.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

First off Rivera runs that ship and they usually hire from within like they did with Wilks to keep continuity on D and No! They didn't take a step bk. Matter of fact they took plenty steps up by going from 24th ranked D to top 3 and they made the playoffs going 11-5 . Star on the other hand he was sharing his job stuck in heavy rotation only had 19tackles on season that's pretty average if u ask me. 

Back to Whaley u say he had nothing to do with the draft that's absolutely insane.  It was his scouts his staff and him that put that board together.  Whaley might of made mistakes in past drafts i agree with u on that but what GM doesn't ? Whaley put talent on this team he did his job the problem was the coaching he had never shared his vision with him.  We all know here that he didn't personally hire or even choose his coach to lead this team. 

McDermott talked about how he personally scouted Micah Hyde and thought he'd be a great fit for what they did.

And Bob Babich is actually the one who recommended Jordan Poyer to the coaching staff. There were a few articles about it. Here's one -

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Familiarity-with-Poyer-landed-Bills-a-free-agent-steal/93caa964-472d-49b0-8f59-76362617c3da

As far as the draft -

2017 went completely away from what Whaley normally did in the draft. 

He almost always had the players he drafted (esp. high) in for pre draft visits. None of the players we drafted this year were in for a visit (except Peterman IIRC).

In fact, The Bills have always had their 1st round draft pick in for a visit from the time he first got here - every year from 2010 to 2016. The only year he didn't... 2017. 

Drafts as assistant GM (pre draft visits)- 

-CJ Spiller

-Marcell Dareus

-Stephon Gilmore

-Tank Carder

-EJ Manuel 

-Jonathan Meeks (this 2013 draft was probably him running the show but I'll list it under asst. GM because we don't know if he ran the show or not). 

Drafts as GM (pre draft visits)-

-Sammy Watkins

-Cyrus Kouandjio

-Preston Brown

-Ross Cockrell 

(thats the top 4 picks from the 2014 draft, all brought in for a pre draft visit)

-John Miller

-Karlos Williams

-Cardale Jones

-Kolby Listenbee

-Shaw Lawson

-Reggie Ragland

-Adolphus Washington

(I'm not sure if this is a complete list. It's just what I found with a quick search) 

You know who did have many of our draft picks in for a visit? 

Carolina Panthers.

-Tre White

-Zay Jones

-Dion Dawkins

-Tanner Vallejo

Also, Whaley never drafted players from small schools (like Zay Jones or even Dawkins (Temple)), especially in the first few rounds. Whaley stuck to certain colleges and especially certain conferences.

In his time as GM from 2014 to 2015, 9 of his 13 draft picks came form the ACC. Shaq Lawson (in 2016) made that 10.

If you go back to 2013, only 3 of his 28 draft picks came form outside the power 5 conference - Duke Williams (4th), Randell Johnson (7th round), Dezmin Lewis (7th).

Never a top 3 round pick from outside the power 5, again, until 2017 (Jones, Dawkins). 

This was completely dfferent than any draft from the time Whaley was hired by Buffalo. I am sure McDermott used some information from him but when looking at everything it's hard to believe that Whaley played much of a role in this draft. 

Nobody knows for sure, but that's the impression I get when I add up all the pieces. 

46 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How did a talent like Allen end up at Wyoming and a dud like Mayfield end up at Oklahoma?

Allen wasn’t recruited at all. Mayfield had some good offers but went to Texas Tech, got beat out by Davis Webb, and transferred to Oklahoma and won the job. He was always a huge fan of Oklahoma (even though he grew up in austin) and chose to walk on there. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Seriously, what the hell are some of these posters smoking?

• Thank you (+1) 1