Is Beane Being Too Careful?

Gugny

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

First of all, I'll preface by saying that I've been down with The Process from the beginning.  I got it .. and I get it.

I understood getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   But the purge continues with Glenn - our best offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team on potential.  And even if they draft well, in three years, we won't be able to afford anyone.

I feel like he's going rogue and even if we end up with the golden boy QB, we won't be able to surround him with anything but rookies.

Irresponsible? Keenum to Denver, Cousins to the Vikings per reports. What big name FA has Buffalo gotten lined up? 

Irresponsible? No. Asleep at the wheel? Yes.

Let's see how the draft goes, but Beane and McDermott may turn out to be the best tandem for this franchise in 3 decades. If they nail this draft then the rest of the division will be on notice with BB and Tommy Boy nearing the end of the line. 

Edited by H2o

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So were you a Whaley fan?

Oh no I hate Whaley.

I'm a very big fan of what Beane is doing so far, I was just saying that all the moves might wind up being for naught if we don't get the QB.

I want aggressive, but aggressive with a plan/purpose.

Every move he's made seems aggressive with purpose, calculated aggression, which I like.

I want him to continue to do so, and not just stand pat where we are now.

Whaley was aggressive to be aggressive, but his moves didn't seem to have a direction.

Whaley seemed like he was playing checkers while Beane seems like he's playing chess.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Oh no I hate Whaley.

I'm a very big fan of what Beane is doing so far, I was just saying that all the moves might wind up being for naught if we don't get the QB.

I want aggressive, but aggressive with a plan/purpose.

Every move he's made seems aggressive with purpose, calculated aggression, which I like.

I want him to continue to do so, and not just stand pat where we are now.

Whaley was aggressive to be aggressive, but his moves didn't seem to have a direction.

Whaley seemed like he was playing checkers while Beane seems like he's playing chess.

So you think he’s out there being aggressive all willy nilly with no plan or purpose?  lol

The Bills have been a perennial 8-8 team.  It’s time for real change.  We are getting it.  The reality is that if the Bills don’t get a franchise QB out of all of these moves the the process will crash and burn.  I give Beane credit for “going for it.”

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

First of all, I'll preface by saying that I've been down with The Process from the beginning.  I got it .. and I get it.

I understood getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   But the purge continues with Glenn - our best offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team on potential.  And even if they draft well, in three years, we won't be able to afford anyone.

I feel like he's going rogue and even if we end up with the golden boy QB, we won't be able to surround him with anything but rookies.

I get the apprehension about what's happening because we're all sitting in the dark....but, if the Bills trade Hughes and others, they have a plan....I trust this FO more than any other since the Polian era. Additionally, the Bills will have a huge Cap cushion next year, so IF the Bills were to trade all these picks for the franchise QB everyone has been hoping for, they will have a bunch of money to surround the kid with talent...and this year, it won't be so bad either regardless of what happens. Miller I suspect returns to form with a new Offensive Coordinator and design, more of a power run scheme, a younger and presumed much better QB, and just by the numbers, there will be new talent on the Defensive side of the ball as well. Does that automatically translate to 10 wins or more? Well of course not...but, Beane and his team know what they're doing and keep in mind, the Bills haven't truly ventured into FA yet...they signed a CB that can start opposite White, a bruising RB that can balance out whichever primary RB they have (Shady or someone else), they traded for a true #1 WR last year that is effectively like Drafting one in the 3rd round this year and the Bills have the position to move all over the Draft just as it stands this morning....and again, no FAs as of yet. I know they will be cognizant of Comp Draft picks, Beane was clear about that - but they still need to sign people and given how Poyer and Hyde worked out last year, I think Beane and his team are solid on this one. 

its not going to be tough to fit everyone under the cap in a few years because there isnt anyone to fit under the cap...all of these 2/3/4's that we have stockpiled will be used to trade up to 2 or 3 to take our QB....so really you have to pay our new QB in 5 years, which lets all hope to high hell we want to do at that point, whoever we pick at 22 (yes we can keep that pick in a trade up scenario), and then Tre and Dion....very affordable, especially if we don't go giving stupid contracts in the next three years

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is the same kind of thinking that the Bills used to have which served as an incubator for the drought. 

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul. 

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I find it odd, that people who supported everything they did... Are now going to start questioning him? Why? How?

If anything, and I've been down on Beane and McDermott, and I wasn't one looking to chase Tyrod out of town... I'm excited, I like what they are doing....

I'm not sure what you want them to do?

Are you under the impression that they will use all of their top 6 picks, hit on them, and then not be able to afford them in 5 years? 

They have like 100 mil in cap room going into 2019 FA, and who do they have to resign? 

I'm still skeptical of some of their man management, but that's the nature of the football. You had no problem shipping out Watkins, probably called him injury prone and this and that, but now you're gonna balk at Glenn getting traded? When the line was better than the WR corps? Glenn barely played and Dion Dawkins filled in well. I don't get it. 

It's all very contradictory 

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Why?

8 hours ago, Mango said:

If he hits on a QB he is the Messiah. If he misses he is reckless. It is really that simple. 

If he hits on a QB, he is our best GM in 2 decades.  If he misses, he will recharge and try again.

If we keep throwing out coaches and GMs every 3 years when they don't succeed instantly, we'll never be good.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Not trolling, man.  Like I said.  I have bought into Beane's process from the beginning.  His aggressiveness just concerns me.

I'm thinking these actions are similar to Philly's aggressive decision to go for it on 4th and goal.