I Do Believe Foles is the Target

H2o

The only way I want Foles is if the cost to acquire him is cheap, and the plan is to have him as a bridge QB. 

A 2nd is the absolute most Id give up for Foles and im not even crazy about that. 

I get why hes enticing to some. Id said myself that I'd love to have him after watching that SB performance. When he's playing well, he can look great. But the problem is that's he's been consistently up and down in his career, and when he's down he can look pretty bad.. Even during his career 2013 year he was kind of up and down. 

There is a reason that he hasn't ever been a full time starter for an entire season in his whole NFL career. It's not like he's all that young either. He's 29. So he probably is what he is at this point. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

anybody find it odd that Foles' fall from grace began when Chip Kelly started offloading receiving talent and continued at the Rams with Tavon Austin as the #1? Yet he finds success tossing jump balls to Alshon Jeffrey for 50 yard TD chunks, finds Agholor on the slant, and has a good offensive line? I don't. THESE OTHER COMPONENTS MATTER PEOPLE.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

2nd year QB Jared Goff had no problem throwing to the dumpster fire, it was virtually the same team with Watkins inserted was it not? And isn't the QB supposed to make the WR around him better not the other way around? And KC had such a great starter in Alex Smith that they shipped him off to Washington in favor of a guy who had 1 career start. My guess is if they would have saw anything in Foles as a potential starter they would have kept him in KC regardless of how well Smith was playing, Reid knows how to handle the situation. Foles looked like the next great QB in the playoffs, unfortunately from game to game that isn't the Foles you'll be getting imo.

The dumpster fire had nothing to do with the receivers, and everything to do with coaching/scheme fit. Goff did not look good under the previous regime, neither did Case Keenum. Two QB's performing well after getting away from the Jeff Fisher regime could be a coincidence, 3 is not. And no... It was not the same team at all.... The three top receivers on the depth chart were all new, the LT was new, and most of all, the coaching was new. 

I can't actually answer the Alex Smith portion of your response because if you actually believe what you typed, there isn't anything I can say to show you how wrong you are.

As for what KC did or did not see in Foles, there's a big difference between a QB who is the backup, and a guy who just showed up on the two biggest stages in the NFL... I don't know what Foles will look like in the future, but neither do you. 

Edited by whatdrought

Would be an upgrade over Tyrod in the same offense. Would have been great under Roman. I hope this happens but only if they run the offense they started to run at the midpoint last year. Foles is basically Cam Newton.

Edited by CuddyDark

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Is he bringing the coaching staff and personnel with him to the Bills?  Nope.  He's already shown what kind of QB he is outside of a Chip Kelly styled offense that features RPOs with a strong supporting cast and it hasn't been very good.  No thanks for me.   I want a QB who can elevate a team that's around him and that's not the guy under discussion. 

or you can look at the Rams for the shite show that they were at the time.  

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

2nd year QB Jared Goff had no problem throwing to the dumpster fire, it was virtually the same team with Watkins inserted was it not? And isn't the QB supposed to make the WR around him better not the other way around? And KC had such a great starter in Alex Smith that they shipped him off to Washington in favor of a guy who had 1 career start. My guess is if they would have saw anything in Foles as a potential starter they would have kept him in KC regardless of how well Smith was playing, Reid knows how to handle the situation. Foles looked like the next great QB in the playoffs, unfortunately from game to game that isn't the Foles you'll be getting imo.

No, no it wasn't. This past year 3 of their top 4 receivers were in their 1st year with the team (Kupp - rookie, Woods & Watkins from Buffalo) and the 4th was their RB.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How about no. Not worth it. 

Yeah. I posted it would be stupid in the last post in the thread. I should have deleted it. But I do like Foles. I think he's Cam Newton in a RPO offense. Bills would be instantly better if they run the same offense they had at the end of 2017.

Edited by CuddyDark
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

This "virtually the same team" narrative is just false.

Entirely new WR corps 1-3: Woods, Watkins, and Cupp. That, along with a new, innovative, spread-out offensive coach/scheme, equals a very different team. Come on, message board people.

I think, whether it was the Bills or another team, they were inquiring about Foles to gauge interest and start formulating plans/backup plans in case FA and or the draft doesnt go the way they want it to. Similar to the Ivory signing, its doing due diligence and having flexibility. It's SMART!

I don't think Foles is really that good though. I think he was put in the perfect situation in Philly with a damn good team, damn good coaches and play caller. To me he is more of an average QB who could play good, but could also play really bad. Would I give up ONLY a second (the rumored offer) for him to be our starting QB? I lean towards no but if thats all it took and the Process thought it was the correct move and they could get the most out of Foles, then I would reluctantly be on board. 

I would doubt Foles is option A. 

As far as the rumors the Eagles want more than the 1st and 4th they got for Bradford, well DUH, what else would the Eagles say...."we would actually settle for a couple mid round picks for Foles, honestly" LOL 

It does amaze me that people know so much about what a coach entering his second draft and GM entering his first are looking for.

my hope is that there are one or two that they like/target and we get that guy. I can’t pretend to know what such an unproven staff, especially when you include Dabol, will do.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's because Foles was stinking it up during the regular season before the playoffs began.  No more Fool's Gold retreads!

Don't get me wrong, my guy I want us to get is Mayfield. But the more I think about this, the more it seems like a Beane\McDermott move. Not sure I would be elated or anything, but I would be more happy than if we ended up with Rudolph or Jackson.

If we were signing him as a FA (like if this year was next year for example) I think he would be an OK bridge if he could execute Daboll's offence and wasnt too expensive. But you get your long term starter in the draft. Hopefully this year. Foles is worth a lot more to the Eagles than he is to us. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's because Foles was stinking it up during the regular season before the playoffs began.  No more Fool's Gold retreads!

I get the skepticism and dont want to go all in for such a hot and cold qb.  But you have to weigh his amazing games, when is mattered most (NFC chip/superbowl) against his bad reg season numbers.  You cant totally discount one without giving some to the other.

Doubt they get the same package as they did with Bradford. Eagles are a tad more desperate to unload cap money. Plus, with this Bennett trade the Eagles need picks more. Looks like there are already deals in place for Foles. 

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Is Foles better than Cousins?  Just heard Tasker and Jones say he is. :huh:

Foles won a SB and was MVP. So, maybe that gives him an upper hand. ?‍♀️

6 minutes ago, KollegeStudnet said:

Doubt they get the same package as they did with Bradford. Eagles are a tad more desperate to unload cap money. Plus, with this Bennett trade the Eagles need picks more. Looks like there are already deals in place for Foles. 

Foles won a SB and was MVP. So, maybe that gives him an upper hand. ?‍♀️

Maybe for some, but not me. 

God I wish there was a way to recover posts made prior to the board update last October, because I was nearly crucified when I made a case for Foles the last time he was available....for the "right price" is the issue. Eagles have said they want more than a 1st and 4th, which is crazy in my mind - and to that, no way. The reason I would be trading for Foles is to give my new Rookie QB time to develop without sacrificing seasons, but I can't do that if I'm giving up the farm. Because in this case it would cost Draft picks AND money against the cap. 

Although....I could offer a 4th this year, Tyrod, and a 3rd next year...? :D

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

God I wish there was a way to recover posts made prior to the board update last October, because I was nearly crucified when I made a case for Foles the last time he was available....for the "right price" is the issue. Eagles have said they want more than a 1st and 4th, which is crazy in my mind - and to that, no way. The reason I would be trading for Foles is to give my new Rookie QB time to develop without sacrificing seasons, but I can't do that if I'm giving up the farm. Because in this case it would cost Draft picks AND money against the cap. 

Although....I could offer a 4th this year, Tyrod, and a 3rd next year...? :D

Good call I remember you being in on him. I'm feeling like there is an awful lot of noise right now about the Bills and Foles. We shall see very soon!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the Bills have a checklist w contingency plans probably looked like

1 Best FA QB with dollars range sign (cousins or whom ever they deemed to be the target)

2 Can we trade for a QB that we think could be a good option (Could of been Smith until he was traded and now could be Foles)

3 draft a qb ( they prob have two guys they will go all in on moving up the board if they are available and if they cant get them I do not think they go crazy to move up to draft anyone other then Rosen/Darnold) btw if the Browns would happen to take Barkley number one that number two pick of the Giants cost wise suddenly goes thru the roof imo

I could be way off though but I would imagine it is something very similar.

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Foles Gold

Which is interesting because I think most people who are "Pro Foles" are those who simply argue that in the right system and on the right team, he can be good - not Favre-esque or Brady / Manning clones, but good and he showed that in his best year in Philly and then again in his second stint in Philly. He is not a transcendent talent that will elevate the Offense even with sub-par positional players, this would be Russell Wilson (except Baldwin) and Brady (except the years he had Moss and of course Gronk), this would be more like Flacco in the right system or Palmer when he was with Cincy in his early years or in Arizona for his first year or two...he's good, not great. But, he would be a good QB for the Bills if Daboll and his team build around his strengths until their franchise QB comes of age. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

I think the Bills have a checklist w contingency plans probably looked like

1 Best FA QB with dollars range sign (cousins or whom ever they deemed to be the target)

2 Can we trade for a QB that we think could be a good option (Could of been Smith until he was traded and now could be Foles)

3 draft a qb ( they prob have two guys they will go all in on moving up the board if they are available and if they cant get them I do not think they go crazy to move up to draft anyone other then Rosen/Darnold) btw if the Browns would happen to take Barkley number one that number two pick of the Giants cost wise suddenly goes thru the roof imo

I could be way off though but I would imagine it is something very similar.

I could see Barkley at 1, the Giants trade down to 4 with Cleveland, the Colts take Chubb, and then at 4 the Giants take Nelson.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Another bridge QB who got hot at the perfect time, He was thrown out of L.A. and KC (He didn't even see the field in KC). Taylor isn't a good QB so you can name quite a few QB's who are better, Foles is only a marginal upgrade imo, he will disappoint as soon as he's named starter like he has up until the playoff run for the Eagles.

Foles doesn't have a long history of stellar play. He only started and finished 2 regular season games last year. He was not too good in one and really good in the other. His playoff run was epic. Hard to tell if that is who you will get. 

His cap hit this year is only 7 mil.

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If they don't trade him, they risk losing him for nothing in 2019. He has a strange provision that his contract voids in 2019 if he is on the Eagles roster. The more I think about it, the more I'm ok with this move. Not for a 1 and 4, but I think I'd be willing to give a 2. He seems like a great fit and the contract is a 5 year deal that is pennies, allowing the team to upgrade elsewhere. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nick-foles-contract-would-make-him-a-free-agent-if-hes-on-the-eagles-in-february-2019/

My gut is that he winds up in Arizona if they can't get Cousins. 

Does his contract void after this season if he is traded? If not he is under contract for 3 more years at only 6 mil per year? If that is the case I would definitely think it is worth a first rnd pick plus a  4rth. The guy is 6'6" 243 lbs and has flashed brilliance at times. Before he went to LA he threw for 27 tds and 2 int for the Eagles his 2nd season. A collarbone injury set him back and led to the Rams trade. He outdueled Tom Brady in the SB! 29 yrs old and coming into form this could be really good timing.

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This "virtually the same team" narrative is just false.

Entirely new WR corps 1-3: Woods, Watkins, and Cupp. That, along with a new, innovative, spread-out offensive coach/scheme, equals a very different team. Come on, message board people.

The coaching and scheme completely changed the look of that offense. The influx of wrs and throwing to Gurley more was a big difference as well.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Is Foles better than Cousins?  Just heard Tasker and Jones say he is. :huh:

Cousins would scare the **** out of me. He's not a team guy. He's going for the money. Who knows what happens after he gets it. Besides all that, he never wins.

• Like (+1) 1

Foles signed a five-year contract with the Eagles, but it had one major caveat. If he is on the Eagles' roster come February 2019, the final three years of the deal will automatically be voided and he'll become a free agent. Voiding contracts aren't entirely uncommon; this one almost guarantees that Foles will be traded by February 2019.

Weird contract but if we gave up a first for him I wouldnt be mad.  If he busts it sucks, if he works out we have him for like 4 more years at 25 mil.  Check the specifics but id roll the dice on a qb that just beat the vikings and patriots

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, McBean said:

Not buying the Nick Foles hype train one bit.

After one of the best 3 game playoff runs in history culminating in a shootout victory vs. Brady's Pats in the SB, I would say it is a bit more than hype. Hype is thinking a guy from Wy. who didn't even play well in college is gonna be the one. Or thinking guys who have never played a down in the NFL are sure things. Don't forget before his collarbone injury Foles had one of the best qb  seasons in recent memory. 27 tds 2 int 2700 yds. 119 rating in 10 games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Foles signed a five-year contract with the Eagles, but it had one major caveat. If he is on the Eagles' roster come February 2019, the final three years of the deal will automatically be voided and he'll become a free agent. Voiding contracts aren't entirely uncommon; this one almost guarantees that Foles will be traded by February 2019.

Weird contract but if we gave up a first for him I wouldnt be mad.  If he busts it sucks, if he works out we have him for like 4 more years at 25 mil.  Check the specifics but id roll the dice on a qb that just beat the vikings and patriots

this

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

After one of the best 3 game playoff runs in history culminating in a shootout victory vs. Brady's Pats in the SB, I would say it is a bit more than hype. Hype is thinking a guy from Wy. who didn't even play well in college is gonna be the one. Or thinking guys who have never played a down in the NFL are sure things. Don't forget before his collarbone injury Foles had one of the best qb  seasons in recent memory. 27 tds 2 int 2700 yds. 119 rating in 10 games.

He did have a good run. He's had a good run in Philly overall I would say. I think he would fit well in Daboll's offense and I know he's a high character guy as well. I think he would fit in the locker room. I have no sources I base this on, just a gut feeling. 

• Like (+1) 1