I doubt Beane risks both 1st round picks

gjv001

People tend to think of draft picks like money in the bank, but you can't leave it there to earn interest. You have to spend it all on one day (along with everyone else) so the only question is, which combination of players (or potential future players) help your team the most.

Obviously any combination of players that does not include a top QB prospect is not going to help the Bills enough.

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

People tend to think of draft picks like money in the bank, but you can't leave it there to earn interest. You have to spend it all on one day (along with everyone else) so the only question is, which combination of players (or potential future players) help your team the most.

Obviously any combination of players that does not include a top QB prospect is not going to help the Bills enough.

I get the feeling it isn't obvious to everyone....

27 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...that my friend is a PERFECT example......go back and read the 2004 pre-draft pundits and their prognostications about Losman......."heir apparent gunslinger to Favre, going to Pack at #23".....several pundits.....so Tom Terrific snookers the Pack and moves up to #22 to take the 'slinger".....Favre continued to fire live ammo and JP fired blanks.....BUT, he did get a Championsip Ring with the Vegas Locos, right?....

Don't forget, the Losman deal was a panick move by ol' Tom when his deal with HOU that would have netted Roethlisberger got cancelled at the last minute. Donahoe took a swing and missed, but shouldn't have moved up for JP to " make up" for it. As we know, he could have gotten his QB the next year. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Don't forget, the Losman deal was a panick move by ol' Tom when his deal with HOU that would have netted Roethlisberger got cancelled at the last minute. Donahoe took a swing and missed, but shouldn't have moved up for JP to " make up" for it. As we know, he could have gotten his QB the next year. 

.....excellent point....."El Presidente" and one of his finer moments (COUGH)....

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Unless you are envisioning a tiny jump into the mid to late teens, there's no way both firsts are not involved.  Exasperating how last year, those of us pushing for the Bills to finally address qb and take Watson or Mahomes at ten were condescendingly told they weren't any good and this year was the bonanza year to draft qb.  Now, as always, there are too many holes on the roster and suddenly the draft class at qb isn't all that good.  If this isn't a good draft class, there likely won't be one.  Most drafts have one or two potential franchise qbs, or zero, actually.  Those fellas are always drafted high.  This year, we have two firsts, two seconds -- if not now, when, exactly, will the stars align for the perfect scenario that makes drafting a qb high in round one possible?

Pretty much spot on. If they don't fix this in FA this year or the draft we can prob say goodbye to another FO and coaching staff. Next years draft class looks weak as hell.

48 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that you are spot on here.

John Kryk Retweeted
From what I understand, Terry Pegula was also present during their formal meetings with the QB prospects that they interviewed at the combine. #Bills #BillsMafia #NFL #NFLDraft #NFLDraft2018 #NFLCombine #NFLCombine2018
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

And on top of it, you've got teams at 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 (depending on Cousins) who could all be fine passing on the QB and loading up the draft ammunition.

I truly believe that as long as they've identified someone out of Rosen / Darnold / Mayfield / Allen to hitch their wagon to, this is the year to push some chips in.

Agree whole-heartedly. I would not even complain if they pulled a Ricky Williams style trade. About freakin time we get a real QB prospect without digging through the scratch and dent at the local Salvo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

I would be very surprised to see Beane trade both 1st round picks for a QB. Would not be surprised to see him move for a QB, they covet, who falls to a point that only one 1st round pick and some other mid-level draft compensation is required.

Not that I'd be surprised if he did, nor disappointed if he didn't,  but I just hope he has a Pair to definitively decide either way! Period. Purgatory is real...Whaley knew it. Somebody just make a move already.For the record, im good with leasing the farm for Rosen in top 5, or mayfield top 15. Otherwise, I take Jackson or Allen at 21. Any 2nd rounder, or beyond,at this point, is no improvement from TT. And those picks become culture changing players. We need both. And have the ammo..

I'm going to say they stockpiled picks last season for the QB crop this season. They looked foolish passing on Watson as he now looks like he could be a top guy in the league I can't see them not trading up even with the holes we have, none are bigger than QB, the rest you can fill in but it's obvious you can't hide the QB play. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Awful plan, imo.  Certainly, one is leaning heavily towards a skeptical interpretation of the top-rated prospects and equally propping up the tier-two fellas as if, in fact, there really isn't any signficant difference, so why pay the price to move up.  I doubt that is truly cogent, but it fits in with the way OBD has addressed the qb position for most of the history of this franchise.

The point needs to be stressed that if the Bills trade both of their picks to move up they are also getting a higher first round pick in return. So in reality you are losing a first round pick for the move up. You are not trading two picks and get nothing for it. You are getting a higher pick in return. So when all is said and done you are getting one player instead of two. 

There is a repeated notion that the organization is losing two players with a trade up. You are actually losing one and hopefully addressing the qb position. That extra first round pick is a tradable asset. Why not make use of it? For the sake of argument if by trading that particular first round pick you lose a good DT prospect from the draft you still can make it up with a solid and reasonably priced DT from the free agent market. The Bills certainly are not going to get a high end qb from the market. I just don't understand the reluctance to make such a deal for this qb starved franchise. 

• Like (+1) 4

I guess the hardest part of this whole process is the unknown. Do we trade up and go for it and pray the guy pans out or do we stay at 21 22 and hope we get 2 solid picks?  It's the great unknown. There's no crystal balls here. No sports almanac from Back to the Future.  Whatever happens and whatever decision they make, hopefully the Buffalo Gods shine on us this April. We've taken our lumps for 17 years. We need some good karma.....

Edited by LABILLBACKER

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I guess the hardest part of this whole process is the unknown. Do we trade up and go for it and pray the guy pans out or do we stay at 21 22 and hope we get 2 solid picks?  It's the great unknown. There's no crystal balls here. No sports almanac from Back to the Future.  Whatever happens and whatever decision they make, hopefully the Buffalo Gods shine on us this April. We've taken our lumps for 17 years. We need some good karma.....

If Beane, McD and Pegula have their eyes set on 1 or 2 of these guys they just have to GO for it.

No more jerking around. I am under the impression or hopes this is why we stockpiled all these picks? If not I might have to say screw this FO if we sit and do zilch.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 2

It seems like this year there is a lot more news about the Bills scouting QB's. I'm sure they look at all the QB's every year but it seems like the media is reporting about it more. 

I think moving up to the 1st or 2nd pick will cost to much but if our guy is there at pick 3 or 5 I could definitely see the Bills trading up to get who they want. 

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It seems like this year there is a lot more news about the Bills scouting QB's. I'm sure they look at all the QB's every year but it seems like the media is reporting about it more. 

I think moving up to the 1st or 2nd pick will cost to much but if our guy is there at pick 3 or 5 I could definitely see the Bills trading up to get who they want. 

So 3 wont cost to much but 2 will. That makes No Sense. 

6 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

If Beane, McD and Pegula have their eyes set on 1 or 2 of these guys they just have to GO for it.

No more jerking around. I am under the impression or hopes this is why we stockpiled all these picks? If not I might have to say screw this FO if we sit and do zilch.

I totally agree and the more I think about this draft the more I'm convinced we're trading up as high as we can go. The question is who are they going after Darnold or Rosen? They're both studs!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

For real.

All of those moves unloading players for cap space and draft capital, plus trading down in last years draft was for the express purpose of getting a QB IMO. That was the narrative- sucks to see sammy/marcell/10th pick, etc go BUT we won't care once we get our franchise QB.

Not getting one this year would be like saving up all your money for a new car, but then just blowing it on a lifetime supply of peanut butter and taking the train to work.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I totally agree and the more I think about this draft the more I'm convinced we're trading up as high as we can go. The question is who are they going after Darnold or Rosen? They're both studs!

I hope Rosen is our guy here. I have no problem trading up high for Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield. After that though I am completely lost though if we can't trade up. Might have to wait it out and hope Mason slides?

Edited by Real McCoy