I doubt Beane risks both 1st round picks

gjv001

13 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

If the intent was to indicate malaise that is one thing but to say the Bills simply overlooked the position by not using 1st round picks is another.  Further, it kind of cherry picks by stopping at 18 years versus going back to 1997 which was the end of the Kelly era.  Todd Collins even though not a first was a very highly regarded prospect whose failing was he could not put the team on his shoulders when the occasion called for it.  Then we gave up a first I believe when we acquired Rob Johnson from the Jags who in theory should have been entrenched during the first third or more of this 18 year period the author talks about.  Then we used another first to acquire Bledsoe from the Patriots with the idea he would have been around and productive for at least half a decade.  Then we had Losman where we used a first.

Watson does not have his SB ring and Hall of Fame bust just yet.

Who said anything about a SB ring or bust? i said he looks like a franchise QB. I think some of you just type **** to get a reaction half the time because your arguments never make much sense.

At this point I am not sure what the plan is, I assume Brandon has discussed trades with almost every team for a quarterback, depending on who might be available he would plan his course toward free agency. Only then should he consider drafting a QB using 2 number ones. Brandon Beane wheeled and dealed his way to enough picks to pull it off. The purpose was to select the right QB. I don't care how he does it, just get the right guy.

Edited by HOUSE

19 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

That would make zero sense. They got the Draft Capital they got for the ability go get their QB. There has been nothing during last season that should change that plan

Yes but is it THEIR plan?  If they are going to do it don't screw around and trade to 1 with Cleveland .

19 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's fine, but you're using the words "franchise QB" in a completely different way than most people do. Use them that way and you're going to have bad communication with nearly everyone you talk with.

Most people would use "franchise QB" in a way that would mean that there are probably 10 - 18 or so of them. If you're using it to pick out only two guys and you want people to understand you, most people would probably say something like, "the best of the elite QBs," something like that.

Hmm...  from reading what people are saying they want a QB who can put the team on their back, meaning they win games consistently without needing the "elite" players around them.  Those QBs are unicorns.  Hell, by stats, Cousins is in the range you speak of and most of the board doesn't seem to want him.

16 hours ago, HOUSE said:

At this point I am not sure what the plan is, I assume Brandon has discussed trades with almost every team for a quarterback, depending on who might be available he would plan his course toward free agency. Only then should he consider drafting a QB using 2 number ones. Brandon Beane wheeled and dealed his way to enough picks to pull it off. The purpose was to select the right QB. I don't care how he does it, just get the right guy.

When I first saw this I thought of Russ Brandon....terrifying until I read further .....then I was able to relax. #Traumatized that Russ is calling shots

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

Hmm...  from reading what people are saying they want a QB who can put the team on their back, meaning they win games consistently without needing the "elite" players around them.  Those QBs are unicorns.  Hell, by stats, Cousins is in the range you speak of and most of the board doesn't seem to want him.

Sure, that's what they want.  They also want a guy with Allen's arm and Darnold's ability to improvise and Rosen's ability to go through reads and throw from the pocket and Jackson's ability to run.

But realistically, what you need to put you in a position where you have a chance to be competitive for a title every year (a chance, not that you'll actually be there every year but a chance) is a guy who's in the top 10 or 12 QBs in the league. That's the kind of guy we have to be thinking we have a reasonable chance at getting.

But as for those QBs you're referring to being unicorns, nah. You're referring to the elite guys, IMHO, the top five or six. Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Ryan, and maybe one or two more. None of them will get you there with a bad team but all of the can get you close with a team without major weaknesses.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/4/2018 at 9:42 AM, Ittakestime said:

Call me crazy, I personally think with the state of current team, there is more risk in keeping both than there is trading both to move up. If he keeps both, he will need to hit home run on both for it to be considered a good move.  If he trades both to move up for QB he will get benefit of doubt from most of fan base. 

How little you know us.  If he trades to move up for a QB, and said QB (as is common with rookies) either sits, struggles, or is injured, the fan base will be doubting at full throat.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:59 AM, Chuck Wagon said:

I don't agree. If they want to move up to get a QB, I think the Miami #11 / Washington #13 / Arizona #15 is the group they need to jump in front.

A couple factors here.  Despite what pundits would have one believe, there have never been 4 top QB in a draft, drafted in that order.  The closest is 2004, where there were 3, and we got the 4th.  Most drafts have 1 or 2 guys, and sometimes not drafted in that order (2005: #24 Rodgers, #1 Smith).   The Bills should only move up if there is A guy they put way above everyone else, and they feel they can get him.

It has to be considered that the #2 group is going to be trying to move up, too.  I don't see Washington being in the mix for 1st round QB BTW, not with the 4 year deal they gave Smith.  Their smart strategy is draft a talented guy later, and let him develop - you don't pay a guy $23.5M for 4 years if you plan to sit him for a rookie after 2.

On 3/4/2018 at 10:08 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

No one thought that Losman was a great prospect. He was a distant 4th best QB and in hindsight should have been behind Schaub too. He was a high-ceiling, low-floor guy like Allen and Jackson. I don’t get the sense that is what the Bills are looking for.

I'd again like to hone in on the implicit point here - that QB are usually not drafted in the order of their NFL talent

On 3/4/2018 at 10:21 AM, horned dogs said:

I think we need to watch the Denver- Cousins and #5 being the Bills sweet spot. Darnold, Allen, Chubb, Barkley are first 4 picks then we take Rosen on a trade with Denver!:D

It still freaks me out that Darnold and Allen are being evaluated as higher draft picks than Rosen.  I hope that puts a little "sh** in his grits" as Cog says.

On 3/4/2018 at 10:34 AM, Boatdrinks said:

Don't forget, the Losman deal was a panick move by ol' Tom when his deal with HOU that would have netted Roethlisberger got cancelled at the last minute. Donahoe took a swing and missed, but shouldn't have moved up for JP to " make up" for it. As we know, he could have gotten his QB the next year. 

We need to learn from that, and consider that a trade partner may not want to move all the way down to #21/22.  We need to consider arranging a pick swap involving a player or players prior to the draft IMO, to put us in a better position to trade up (if that's what we want to do).

And there we have the lesson.  Everyone is all "desparation - must get a QB this year" but in hindsight, when "our guy" went out of reach, we should not have traded up for #4 but should have had a Plan B and taken another shot the next year.

On 3/4/2018 at 10:38 AM, Real McCoy said:

Pretty much spot on. If they don't fix this in FA this year or the draft we can prob say goodbye to another FO and coaching staff. Next years draft class looks weak as hell.

I hope that's not what will happen.  I think we need to look at teams like the Eagles, where finding the right QB was a process for them. Foles-Bradford-Wentz

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sure, that's what they want.  They also want a guy with Allen's arm and Darnold's ability to improvise and Rosen's ability to go through reads and throw from the pocket and Jackson's ability to run.

But realistically, what you need to put you in a position where you have a chance to be competitive for a title every year (a chance, not that you'll actually be there every year but a chance) is a guy who's in the top 10 or 12 QBs in the league. That's the kind of guy we have to be thinking we have a reasonable chance at getting.

But as for those QBs you're referring to being unicorns, nah. You're referring to the elite guys, IMHO, the top five or six. Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Ryan, and maybe one or two more. None of them will get you there with a bad team but all of the can get you close with a team without major weaknesses.

I hear you.  That's reasonable.  

Although, I contend Brady is a ?.    And Rodgers too.  I think they're better than even those other elite QBs.  If they get the ball last everyone expects they win; fans and opponents.

On 3/4/2018 at 10:52 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

This is funny because it isn’t even right. Losman was a first. 

and we traded a 1st for RJ and another 1st for Bledsoe

Edited by Pete