I doubt Beane risks both 1st round picks

gjv001

I would be very surprised to see Beane trade both 1st round picks for a QB. Would not be surprised to see him move for a QB, they covet, who falls to a point that only one 1st round pick and some other mid-level draft compensation is required.

Just now, gjv001 said:

I would be very surprised to see Beane trade both 1st round picks for a QB. Would not be surprised to see him move for a QB, they covet, who falls to a point that only one 1st round pick and some other mid-level draft compensation is required.

That would make zero sense. They got the Draft Capital they got for the ability go get their QB. There has been nothing during last season that should change that plan

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Unless you are envisioning a tiny jump into the mid to late teens, there's no way both firsts are not involved.  Exasperating how last year, those of us pushing for the Bills to finally address qb and take Watson or Mahomes at ten were condescendingly told they weren't any good and this year was the bonanza year to draft qb.  Now, as always, there are too many holes on the roster and suddenly the draft class at qb isn't all that good.  If this isn't a good draft class, there likely won't be one.  Most drafts have one or two potential franchise qbs, or zero, actually.  Those fellas are always drafted high.  This year, we have two firsts, two seconds -- if not now, when, exactly, will the stars align for the perfect scenario that makes drafting a qb high in round one possible?

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you think Rosen or Darnold are franchise QBs, for gods sake go get them.  

Im so sick of thinking people will develop or has all the tools or blah blah blah.

Go get Rosen if you can.  Trade the 1s, this year and a 1 next year and Glenn.  Whatever it takes.  Idc.  

What would I trade for Weitz?  Everything.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Why would that very surprise you?

10 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Ok

....my unsubstantiated hunch is that McBeane covets BOTH 1sts, does NOT move up into "God's Country" for one of the top 4 "apparent QB God's".....none come with a warranty or money back guarantee anyhow.....hell, he may even go OL/DL or DL/OL with the 1sts, and look to the Rudolph/Falk/Lauletta/White gang for his "franchise QB" and who even knows what HIS definition is?.......HIS definition along with McD/Daboll's is the ONLY one that will matter come Draft Day.......be prepared and stay tuned............

• Like (+1) 5

Call me crazy, I personally think with the state of current team, there is more risk in keeping both than there is trading both to move up. If he keeps both, he will need to hit home run on both for it to be considered a good move.  If he trades both to move up for QB he will get benefit of doubt from most of fan base. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....my unsubstantiated hunch is that McBeane covets BOTH 1sts, does NOT move up into "God's Country" for one of the top 4 "apparent QB God's".....none come with a warranty or money back guarantee anyhow.....hell, he may even go OL/DL or DL/OL with the 1sts, and look to the Rudolph/Falk/Lauletta/White gang for his "franchise QB" and who even knows what HIS definition is?.......HIS definition along with McD/Daboll's is the ONLY one that will matter come Draft Day.......be prepared and stay tuned............

Awful plan, imo.  Certainly, one is leaning heavily towards a skeptical interpretation of the top-rated prospects and equally propping up the tier-two fellas as if, in fact, there really isn't any signficant difference, so why pay the price to move up.  I doubt that is truly cogent, but it fits in with the way OBD has addressed the qb position for most of the history of this franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Awful plan, imo.  Certainly, one is leaning heavily towards a skeptical interpretation of the top-rated prospects and equally propping up the tier-two fellas as if, in fact, there really isn't any signficant difference, so why pay the price to move up.  I doubt that is truly cogent, but it fits in with the way OBD has addressed the qb position for most of the history of this franchise.

...KEY WORDS: "my hunch".....never said "my plan" and sure as hell don't know if it is his, so fasten your seatbelt and we'll see shortly..............

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...KEY WORDS: "my hunch".....never said "my plan" and sure as hell don't know if it is his, so fasten your seatbelt and we'll see shortly..............

I meant it would be an awful plan for Beane.  Sorry for lack of clarity.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

http://13wham.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-are-overdue-to-invest-in-franchise-qb

No team in the NFL has invested less in the quarterback position over the last 18 years than the Buffalo Bills. In 2013 they selected Erik Rodriguez (EJ) Manuel in the first round. That is the only time they have used either a first or second round pick in the draft on a quarterback during those nearly two decades. How rare is that? In that same time frame only 7 other NFL teams have also not taken a quarterback in the first two rounds. But it doesn’t take a genius to figure out why those teams have stayed away from a pick. The Giants (Eli) Ravens (Flacco) Chargers (Rivers) Saints (Brees) have the long time starters. The outliers? The Cowboys who hit a home run with free agent Tony Romo and may have one with 4th rounder Dak Prescott and the Seahawks who broke all the rules by finding Russell Wilson in the 3rd. I think it is well past time for the Bills to stop bargain shopping and go in on a quarterback to lead this franchise.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I meant if would be an awful plan for Beane.  Sorry for lack of clarity.

......no, my apology for misinterpreting......we're good my friend.....wondering what the mad scientist McBeane is concocting is like waiting for a can of Sherwin Williams to dry...

• Like (+1) 2

I have been of the belief that the Bills were targeting this QB class for over a year. I don’t think that has changed. They loaded up on assets to make the move for a high level QB in the heralded class of 2018. 

On a a side note, this is a great draft to trade up because it isn’t a great draft. It’s a bad draft for WR, edge, OT, and DB. This draft is one where you strike on quality and not quantity. Every draft is different in that sense.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

http://13wham.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-are-overdue-to-invest-in-franchise-qb

No team in the NFL has invested less in the quarterback position over the last 18 years than the Buffalo Bills. In 2013 they selected Erik Rodriguez (EJ) Manuel in the first round. That is the only time they have used either a first or second round pick in the draft on a quarterback during those nearly two decades. How rare is that? In that same time frame only 7 other NFL teams have also not taken a quarterback in the first two rounds. But it doesn’t take a genius to figure out why those teams have stayed away from a pick. The Giants (Eli) Ravens (Flacco) Chargers (Rivers) Saints (Brees) have the long time starters. The outliers? The Cowboys who hit a home run with free agent Tony Romo and may have one with 4th rounder Dak Prescott and the Seahawks who broke all the rules by finding Russell Wilson in the 3rd. I think it is well past time for the Bills to stop bargain shopping and go in on a quarterback to lead this franchise.

Without doing any research, I gotta think that Kansas City has neglected the QB position more than we have. But that’s really besides the point...

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is funny because it isn’t even right. Losman was a first. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

The other fact of the matter is everyone has a plan til the bullets start to fly.

They may plan to move up, but other teams may have the same plan and offer better compensation.  They may plan to sign Keenum/Bradford/McCarron ect but so will other teams. Takes 2 to tango. So once the bullets start they just have to be aggressive in 45 different directions and see what transpires. And whatever QB they end up with, chances are half the fanbase will complain that it wasn't "their guy" anyways. Football is hard.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Without doing any research, I gotta think that Kansas City has neglected the QB position more than we have. But that’s really besides the point...

Elvis doesn't do anything for you? LOL

They did address it recently with Alex Smith and now Mahomes- that leave us...

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have been of the belief that the Bills were targeting this QB class for over a year. I don’t think that has changed. They loaded up on assets to make the move for a high level QB in the heralded class of 2018. 

On a a side note, this is a great draft to trade up because it isn’t a great draft. It’s a bad draft for WR, edge, OT, and DB. This draft is one where you strike on quality and not quantity. Every draft is different in that sense.

You may have stated this in one of the innumerable threads, but I missed it if so.  Do you have any surmise as to which qb(s) we are most interested in?  I sure hope Mayfield is included in the fellas we are keen to move up for.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

...certainly is your opinion and respected.......flip side is he loaded up on assets to select as many quality players as possible to fill as many holes as possible........same caveat with FA dollars.....could make a MAJOR investment in ONE player or spends those dollars over as many quality players as possible, again to fill holes...tried calling him, but everything goes to "voice mail"....dammit...