I doubt Beane risks both 1st round picks

gjv001

I don't agree.

If they want to move up to get a QB, I think the Miami #11 / Washington #13 / Arizona #15 is the group they need to jump in front.

I can't imagine one of the top 4 QBs falling to us at 21, maybe even top 5 with Jackson.

The draft value chart has the cost of pick #12 roughly being pick #21 & #53 (that's just short of it).  Based upon the chart, pick #21 & #22 is just short of pick #6.  If Denver gets Cousins, I could see something like #21 / #22 for a pick in the 5/7/8/9 range, with us getting back a late 3 / early 4 to net out the same amount of picks and jumping the Miami/Washington/Arizona group.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

You may have stated this in one of the innumerable threads, but I missed it if so.  Do you have any surmise as to which qb(s) we are most interested in?  I sure hope Mayfield is included in the fellas we are keen to move up for.

I have nothing on the QBs. They’ve invested a lot of time and effort in all of them.

It seems to me like that Eric Galko knows something though. He’s pretty confidently saying Rosen. If I had to guess he would be my guess but I know nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

The other fact of the matter is everyone has a plan til the bullets start to fly.

They may plan to move up, but other teams may have the same plan and offer better compensation.  They may plan to sign Keenum/Bradford/McCarron ect but so will other teams. Takes 2 to tango. So once the bullets start they just have to be aggressive in 45 different directions and see what transpires. And whatever QB they end up with, chances are half the fanbase will complain that it wasn't "their guy" anyways. Football is hard.

....GREAT observation......in the immortal words of one Hannibal Smith from the "A Team", "I love it when a plan comes together"......BUT as you said, you need alternate Plans B, C, D & E as the show unfolds............

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have been of the belief that the Bills were targeting this QB class for over a year. I don’t think that has changed. They loaded up on assets to make the move for a high level QB in the heralded class of 2018. 

On a a side note, this is a great draft to trade up because it isn’t a great draft. It’s a bad draft for WR, edge, OT, and DB. This draft is one where you strike on quality and not quantity. Every draft is different in that sense.

And on top of it, you've got teams at 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 (depending on Cousins) who could all be fine passing on the QB and loading up the draft ammunition.

I truly believe that as long as they've identified someone out of Rosen / Darnold / Mayfield / Allen to hitch their wagon to, this is the year to push some chips in.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly is your opinion and respected.......flip side is he loaded up on assets to select as many quality players as possible to fill as many holes as possible........same caveat with FA dollars.....could make a MAJOR investment in ONE player or spends those dollars over as many quality players as possible, again to fill holes...tried calling him, but everything goes to "voice mail"....dammit...

They aren’t in on Cousins (which is really the only other QB option). 

This class has been circled as an elite QB class for a long time. It’s playing out that way. There will be 4 in the top 10 and at least 1 more in the first. Teams knew about this over a year ago. 

At the same same time this isn’t a good draft. It doesn’t have the depth or high end talent of some recent drafts. This isn’t the time to load up on picks. It’s better than 2013 but think about that draft. Would you rather have had 4 of the top 56 picks in 2013 or 2011? 

This is a draft where you strike on the QB. I will be shocked if that doesn’t happen.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is funny because it isn’t even right. Losman was a first. 

...that my friend is a PERFECT example......go back and read the 2004 pre-draft pundits and their prognostications about Losman......."heir apparent gunslinger to Favre, going to Pack at #23".....several pundits.....so Tom Terrific snookers the Pack and moves up to #22 to take the 'slinger".....Favre continued to fire live ammo and JP fired blanks.....BUT, he did get a Championsip Ring with the Vegas Locos, right?....

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have been of the belief that the Bills were targeting this QB class for over a year. I don’t think that has changed. They loaded up on assets to make the move for a high level QB in the heralded class of 2018. 

On a a side note, this is a great draft to trade up because it isn’t a great draft. It’s a bad draft for WR, edge, OT, and DB. This draft is one where you strike on quality and not quantity. Every draft is different in that sense.

I would presume this is one reason why last year Terry was involved with the QBs and even this year with hm being there to watch them throw now (I would wonder if he joined them during the 15 minute interviews to observe as well). I would also presume that Bean & McD want the owner to feel very comfortable with the move(s) they are about to (or not) going to make. 

I will be astounded if we don't move up...

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This class has been circled as an elite QB class for a long time. It’s playong out that way. There will be 4 in the top 10 and at least 1 more in the first. Teams knew about this over a year ago. 

At the same same time this isn’t a good draft. It doesn’t have the depth or high end talent of some recent drafts. This isn’t the time to load up on picks. It’s better than 2013 but think about that draft. Would you rather have had 4 of the top 56 picks in 2013 or 2011? 

This is a draft where you strike on the QB. I will be shocked if that doesn’t happen.

Despite being a glaring need, the defensive line depth next year also contributes to feeling fine pushing in for QB.  Oliver / Bosa / Gary / Clemson guys / typical Bama prospects as headliners, I don't think some of the "we have so many holes" people even have a hint of an idea at what's coming down the pipe.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...that my friend is a PERFECT example......go back and read the 2004 pre-draft pundits and their prognostications about Losman......."heir apparent gunslinger to Favre, going to Pack at #23".....several pundits.....so Tom Terrific snookers the Pack and moves up to #22 to take the 'slinger".....Favre continued to fire live ammo and JP fired blanks.....BUT, he did get a Championsip Ring with the Vegas Locos, right?....

No one thought that Losman was a great prospect. He was a distant 4th best QB and in hindsight should have been behind Schaub too. He was a high-ceiling, low-floor guy like Allen and Jackson. I don’t get the sense that is what the Bills are looking for. 

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I would presume this is one reason why last year Terry was involved with the QBs and even this year with hm being there to watch them throw now (I would wonder if he joined them during the 15 minute interviews to observe as well). I would also presume that Bean & McD want the owner to feel very comfortable with the move(s) they are about to (or not) going to make. 

I will be astounded if we don't move up...

I think that you are spot on here.

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I keep going back to this as well. They picked this years class over last years. Now, I don't think they expected to make the playoffs no matter what they say, but I am still expecting them to get one of the top 4 guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Despite being a glaring need, the defensive line depth next year also contributes to feeling fine pushing in for QB.  Oliver / Bosa / Gary / Clemson guys / typical Bama prospects as headliners, I don't think some of the "we have so many holes" people even have a hint of an idea at what's coming down the pipe.

Yep, next year’s DL prospects are ridiculous. With the possible exception of Chubb those guys are better than pretty much this whole class. Oliver and Bosa (and maybe Gary) are top 5 picks. The Clemson guys were 1st round picks in this draft if they came out. It is a far superior group.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This class has been circled as an elite QB class for a long time. It’s playong out that way. There will be 4 in the top 10 and at least 1 more in the first. Teams knew about this over a year ago. 

....sorry for confusion......did not mean to imply MAJOR FA investment in ONE player, pointing to Cousins.....was alleged that McBeane had a lengthy meeting with Tom Congdon, who is agent for Alex Smith......yet another unsubstantiated hunch (all I'm good for) is that he got the general parameters of what the Smith deal probably would look like and was scared off....Cousins will be well north of that and not even a consideration....

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Elvis doesn't do anything for you? LOL

They did address it recently with Alex Smith and now Mahomes- that leave us...

Smith wasn’t drafted by them though. Mahomes is the QB I seem to remember them drafting in the last 18 years ?

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....sorry for confusion......did not mean to imply MAJOR FA investment in ONE player, pointing to Cousins.....was alleged that McBeane had a lengthy meeting with Tom Congdon, who is agent for Alex Smith......yet another unsubstantiated hunch (all I'm good for) is that he got the general parameters of what the Smith deal probably would look like and was scared off....Cousins will be well north of that and not even a consideration....

The Bills were certainly exploring all options with the QBs. That’s done though. They couldn’t make a deal for Smith and are out on Cousins. Tyrod is already a part of the next group of guys and none of believe they are keeping him as the franchise guy. 

Unless something crazy (like an Andrew Luck trade) comes to fruition the Bills will end up picking a QB in the top 10. I feel very, very strongly about that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills were certainly exploring all options with the QBs. That’s done though. They couldn’t make a deal for Smith and are out on Cousins. Tyrod is already a part of the next group of guys and none of believe they are keeping him as the franchise guy. 

Unless something crazy (like an Andrew Luck trade) comes to fruition the Bills will end up picking a QB in the top 10. I feel very, very strongly about that.

B..B..But Dunkirk Don said we are on to Case Keenum or one of the Vikings guys after Smith scared them off

I think we need to watch the Denver- Cousins and #5 being the Bills sweet spot. Darnold, Allen, Chubb, Barkley are first 4 picks then we take Rosen on a trade with Denver!:D

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No one thought that Losman was a great prospect. He was a distant 4th best QB and in hindsight should have been behind Schaub too. He was a high-ceiling, low-floor guy like Allen and Jackson. I don’t get the sense that is what the Bills are looking for. 

I think that you are spot on here.

.......point is many of the draft pundits called him the "heir apparent gunslinger to Favre"........Favre and Losman in the SAME sentence?......fast forward to 2018 draft and myriad of QB candidates with another flood of expert pundits....who is right and who is wrong?......McBeane is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Tom Donohole........and I'd also venture to say he could be the best since Polian or HOPEFULLY better.......the PatchWork FO/Admin of unqualifieds thrust into positions along with the "over the hill" gang after Tom Terrific fueled the drought....certainly more optimistic entering year 56 of following this club with McBeane versus the last 20 something years....

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Picked 22nd in 2004....

...just great.....so the "curse of the 22nd" returns in 2018?........take a punter..............