Schefter: Rams Trading Robert Quinn to the Dolphins

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He rebounded this past season after a couple of average years. 

Average years? He was injured last year and the year before but still put up 4 sacks in 9 games last year and 5 sacks in 8 games the year before. Before that he had 10.5 sacks 2014, 19 sacks 2013, 10.5 sacks 2012. There is nothing average about those stats at all. The Dolphins just got a very good pass rusher for a mid pick.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Average years? He was injured last year and the year before but still put up 4 sacks in 9 games last year and 5 sacks in 8 games the year before. Before that he had 10.5 sacks 2014, 19 sacks 2013, 10.5 sacks 2012. There is nothing average about those stats at all. The Dolphins just got a very good pass rusher for a mid pick.

'15 and '16 were the years he dealt with injury.  The best ability is availability.  Pass rush guys aren't abundantly available, so the Rams' willingness to let him go speaks volumes. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Rosen is the QB I have wanted since about October 

Thanks. My Friend that works is Davie doesn’t disappoint often. 

Yeah he was right on. 

And Rosen is the QB I want, too!  Bad. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Should we make a play for Wake?

If the price/term were right, sure. I think his personality definitely fits with what McDermott likes. And he works his ass off. I remember reading stories about how he would lead post practice exercise sessions in Miami and stuff like that.

I actually think he'd be a good culture fit, and a good fit on the field. But he is 36 (IIRC) so we can't break the bank for him or anything. I'd definitely be interested if he were released though.

But he's the type that I could see taking a pay cut to stay in Miami. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. 

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good player, low comp 

Not being snarky, but adding a good player can paradoxically be a negative if it doesn't fit the cap model and thus the team suffers.

I don't know maybe Miami has a cap model with 32% of it going to DL...its worked great so far since Miami has been so succesful . LOL

kind of shows where the league is going.  Ends need to be responsible for the read option , it is very hard to get the qb with quick drop and release .   Kind of why Rex's d doesn't work as well anymore,  The qb's get ride of the ball so fast it is hard to get pressure   On the other hand it shows why TT is awful he holds on the ball way too long 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

'15 and '16 were the years he dealt with injury.  The best ability is availability.  Pass rush guys aren't abundantly available, so the Rams' willingness to let him go speaks volumes. 

Or he is a better fit in a 4-3 base scheme where he flourished and will be in with the Phins. 

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

This seems like a Bills move from the past by Miami. They are going down to the bottom for awhile and I love it.

That's exactly what went through my mind when I saw the specifics of this trade , I was thinking that this is exactly the type of move the Bills would make in past years , losing season after losing season.

Making a risky big money move with question marks at numerous positions. Now we are building a TEAM, not a collection of talent, I love the vision, I trust the f.o and head coach, McD has walked the walk, they have a clear vision on how to win and sustain success and they are following that format.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, horned dogs said:

This seems like a Bills move from the past by Miami. They are going down to the bottom for awhile and I love it.

Miami has always made very splashy moves. Taking on big contracts and signing big contracts is what they do. It's why they aren't that successful generally speaking, they haven't gotten lucky with a QB and whatever success they sustain on the other parts of the roster is usually done with big free agent signings which are usually older players with at best 1-2 really good years left. 

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah he was right on. 

And Rosen is the QB I want, too!  Bad. 

If the price/term were right, sure. I think his personality definitely fits with what McDermott likes. And he works his ass off. I remember reading stories about how he would lead post practice exercise sessions in Miami and stuff like that.

I actually think he'd be a good culture fit, and a good fit on the field. But he is 36 (IIRC) so we can't break the bank for him or anything. I'd definitely be interested if he were released though.

But he's the type that I could see taking a pay cut to stay in Miami. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. 

isn't this always the case?

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wait a minute.... 

4 hours ago, nucci said:

isn't this always the case?

Depends on the GM I guess. 

I dont see Beane overpaying for anyone, including his own free agents. He seems like he has set prices on everyone that he won't exceed. 

Now if we were talking about Doug Whaley or Buddy Nix, then maybe it'd be different. But this isn't a Mario Williams situation... lol. 

All I meant with my original comment is that I wouldn't break the bank for Wake at his age. 

14 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Then why is it good?

Because those things are only partially related?

landry was likely gone and a think a good chance of suh too— so you start filling that hole and a guy like Quinn is a very good player and didn’t cost high picks (read: cheap talent). You can still add another vet to help the offense and come out in a similar spot financially and still have the first two days of your draft in tact and didn’t have to pay a monster signing bonus to a pass rusher 

im not saying it’s great but I’m not going to pretend it’s awful either 

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

That's exactly what went through my mind when I saw the specifics of this trade , I was thinking that this is exactly the type of move the Bills would make in past years , losing season after losing season.

Making a risky big money move with question marks at numerous positions. Now we are building a TEAM, not a collection of talent, I love the vision, I trust the f.o and head coach, McD has walked the walk, they have a clear vision on how to win and sustain success and they are following that format.

The dolphins have no long term commitment to him and didn’t sink a high pick into it. If they gave him a fat signing bonus - sure, some risk. As is- not terribly risky.

Edited by NoSaint

LOL Dolphins

Miami just spent cap space they don't have to address a position they didn't need to. They've got what five edge players that are decent or better now? You can't play more than two at once.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

LOL Dolphins

Miami just spent cap space they don't have to address a position they didn't need to. They've got what five edge players that are decent or better now? You can't play more than two at once.

The giants literally won the Super Bowl with their “nascar” package that featured edge rushers moving inside. That’s how they beat the patriots, who Miami plays twice every year. 

Again, not a franchise changing move here in my opinion but not crazy either 

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Because those things are only partially related?

landry was likely gone and a think a good chance of suh too— so you start filling that hole and a guy like Quinn is a very good player and didn’t cost high picks (read: cheap talent). You can still add another vet to help the offense and come out in a similar spot financially and still have the first two days of your draft in tact and didn’t have to pay a monster signing bonus to a pass rusher 

im not saying it’s great but I’m not going to pretend it’s awful either 

The dolphins have no long term commitment to him and didn’t sink a high pick into it. If they gave him a fat signing bonus - sure, some risk. As is- not terribly risky.

The way the Dolphins spend towards the cap has left them with a NEGATIVE position. They have continually made Suh type of splashes in the wrong areas. We have a little thing called the cap and you can't have 32% tied up by DL and still be strong other places. If they have to get rid of talent like Landry and Suh perhaps Tannehill , replacing them with 11Million cap hit for a guy with durability issues and avg of less than 6 sacks/year the last 3 yrs, I'm sorry it is not a good move. And, I don't care if it didn't require much draft capital. This is the kind of move the Bills used to make and won't now. Quinn is not worthy of that type of cap hit. This is why teams like Miami and Tannenbaum never win Super Bowls. 

The record for cap hit by DL by a SB Winner is 8% by Warren Sapp and Reggie White. The Suh deal was such a joke when they made it because he doesn't have the kind of impact that merits it. Even a 6% hit like Quinn is reserved for the truly elite pass rushers in my book. When Denver won the SB they had Miller and Ware at about 5.5% each. Miller is now like 11-12% and is it questionable whether that model works for them now.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2018 at 3:19 PM, horned dogs said:

I have a feeling Miami is fourth in the AFC East.

I think they'll be better this year. Tannehill isn't good, but he's not bad either. He's usually able to get 7 or 8 wins.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think they'll be better this year. Tannehill isn't good, but he's not bad either. He's usually able to get 7 or 8 wins.

Tanny sucks when he plays the Bills in Buffalo but he’s not that bad. He’s a 9-7 guy with a decent team around him imo.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tanny sucks when he plays the Bills in Buffalo but he’s not that bad. He’s a 9-7 guy with a decent team around him imo.

That's pretty much what I said. Glad you agree!

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2018 at 5:13 PM, Reed83HOF said:

#Dolphins DL cap hits for 2018: Suh - $26.1M Quinn - $11.4M Branch - $10M Wake - $8.6M $56.1M is 31.8% of a $176M salary cap. That's a big chunk, but with the cap rising around $8-10M each year, teams can fit more big contracts on their books.

Yeah throw tannehill in there and Landry and it it doesn't seem like the fish have any cap plan at all.