Geno = Flat Earth Truther?

YoloinOhio

53 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Coach, I am an educated man. Unlike most people who read their history books as absolute truth, I prefer to take ALL available information to make an educated and informed opinion of things. I didnt just see some random clip on youtube and buy into it lmao

This is a total crock. ALL available information? The exact OPPOSITE of this is true for you to reach your conclusions. Educated man, my ass. You’re either trolling or woefully and willfully ignorant. 

14 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm aware this isn't the forum, but let me say...for 10's of thousands of years, thru ancient, and advanced technological societies, it was a well known fact that the earth was flat. For any christian or Muslim out there, read your texts.

God created the "firmament" and the waters ABOVE AND BELOW.  Van Allen asteroid belt? No true picture( all earth photos are "artist renderings")? All of the sudden, 500 years ago, after THOUSANDS OF YEARS of knowledge and technology, somebody comes along with a midel that 'works' for the church and everything changes? Who was more advanced? Us, today? Or Mayans.or Egyptians? 

Just food for thought.  Carry on??

If your god truly exists he is a mean mofo. Look at this mess he created for thousands of years.  His humans are a bunch of parasites. 

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

I do. Its true. The varying accounts are very easily found on google or youtube. Straight from the horse's mouth. Why should I not take them for their word? You can attack me all ya want, Im just speaking the truth of what I've seen with my own eyes

Coach, I am an educated man. Unlike most people who read their history books as absolute truth, I prefer to take ALL available information to make an educated and informed opinion of things. I didnt just see some random clip on youtube and buy into it lmao

You mean you believe a book some crook wrote 2k years ago. I bet you think most thighs written now are fake news but somehow your bible made it thru 2k years from the lords mouth.  Your bible was written by Humans looking to control the masses.  Just like the fake news you read today. 

6 hours ago, Pilsner said:

As much as I respect DC Tom, I will have to veer towards your viewpoint BuffAlone on this topic over what the majority is espousing. I am not a true earther (although I have been researching the subject) and I am not a globalist. I am in search of the truth. Since I now believe that God exists, why can't there be the possibility of a form of earth that does not fit the standard issue narrative? I don't believe we ever made it to the moon. I will not go into detail as to why I believe this at this time but anyone who puts some time into researching this should come to a similar conclusion as I have made. I often times look at the moon. If for example you were inclined to hold up a balloon in your living room with all lights turned off and have a family member shine a flashlight at said balloon, what would you see? Some light reflected off of the balloon obviously but it would be hard to ignore the brightest of the light being reflected off of the center. Now if the moon was a sphere, wouldn't it reflect the sun's light in the same manner? But it does not. The moon 'reflects' light as if it were a round, flat object. You might as well hold up a round piece of paper and shine light on it. This should cause any person who pays some attention to this to go... hmmm....  The next time you have a nice view of the moon, go take a gander.

edit: Argh, it pains me to even for a split second think a similar thought to Geno. Argh!

So much wrong with your "experiment" where to even start...

- The Sun isn't a flashlight or a spot light for that matter, the Sun emits light in all directions. You can't use a flashlight, which is brightest in the center, to emulate the sun and then conclude that there is a spot that is bright in the center your "moon".

- Light is traveling differently in your living room when compared to how light travels through a vacuum, like space.

- Your scale, the size of the Moon compared to Sun and distance of the Moon from the Sun, is way off.

How you can perform an (flawed) "experiment" in your living room and conclude that Earth is flat because a flashlight bounces light of a balloon which makes you think the Moon is flat, I think(?), is beyond me. Let me ask you, those phases, you know ones caused by the Earths shadow, whats causing that if the Earth isn't spherical and is in fact flat?

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

How you can perform an (flawed) "experiment" in your living room and conclude that Earth is flat because a flashlight bounces light of a balloon which makes you think the Moon is flat, I think(?), is beyond me.

But the video of him doing this would be priceless...

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Let me ask you, those phases, you know ones caused by the Earths shadow, whats causing that if the Earth isn't spherical and is in fact flat?

Pretty sure that’s God doing shadow puppets. Why, just the other night he did the flying bird. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

What...in the holy hell...is going on here?

To add to what coach Tuesday said - the USA is one of the most religiously fanatical countries in the world.  I found that hard to swallow at first but then, I've lived in WNY my entire life and we're not a hot spot for that sort of thing; usually.

50 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

So much wrong with your "experiment" where to even start...

- The Sun isn't a flashlight or a spot light for that matter, the Sun emits light in all directions. You can't use a flashlight, which is brightest in the center, to emulate the sun and then conclude that there is a spot that is bright in the center your "moon".

- Light is traveling differently in your living room when compared to how light travels through a vacuum, like space.

- Your scale, the size of the Moon compared to Sun and distance of the Moon from the Sun, is way off.

How you can perform an (flawed) "experiment" in your living room and conclude that Earth is flat because a flashlight bounces light of a balloon which makes you think the Moon is flat, I think(?), is beyond me. Let me ask you, those phases, you know ones caused by the Earths shadow, whats causing that if the Earth isn't spherical and is in fact flat?

Visible light doesn't travel that much differently through the atmosphere vs. a vacuum.

The biggest difference is that at the Earth's orbit, light from the sun is effectively a planar wave.  A flashlight ten feet away, the light rays diverge.  And that the moon is not a frickin' balloon - the moon has a more irregular surface, so it scatters light much differently.

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I do. Its true. The varying accounts are very easily found on google or youtube. Straight from the horse's mouth. Why should I not take them for their word? You can attack me all ya want, Im just speaking the truth of what I've seen with my own eyes

What horse's mouth is this?  You've read Eratosthenes and Aristotle? 

I think you're getting your info from the wrong end of the horse.

39 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Visible light doesn't travel that much differently through the atmosphere vs. a vacuum.

The biggest difference is that at the Earth's orbit, light from the sun is effectively a planar wave.  A flashlight ten feet away, the light rays diverge.  And that the moon is not a frickin' balloon - the moon has a more irregular surface, so it scatters light much differently.

What horse's mouth is this?  You've read Eratosthenes and Aristotle? 

I think you're getting your info from the wrong end of the horse.

Yea, the speed of light is only slightly less through air, warmer air, and is slightly lesser through cooler air. 

I guess my coment was more a comment on how a guy like Rowbotham who didn’t account for these differences and thus concluded the Earth was flat, when in reality he was seeing a mirage caused by Total Internal Reflection.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

40 minutes ago, sleeby said:

To add to what coach Tuesday said - the USA is one of the most religiously fanatical countries in the world.  I found that hard to swallow at first but then, I've lived in WNY my entire life and we're not a hot spot for that sort of thing; usually.

Except for everywhere else.

At first I thought is was a simple troll job; I'm not so sure now...

I suppose it makes sense, we have fans who trow each other through tables that are on fire, drink beer from a chick's butt crack, etc. - might as well toss a few flat earth'ers in here as well...

14 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Flat earth cultists are among the dumbest people you will encounter in life.

Trying to debate these people is a fool’s errand. They are completely !@#$ed in the head. 

Kinda like the people who think TT is a good QB :ph34r:

Someone had to do it....

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Thats odd then because mariners right up untill the 15-1600's feared falling off the edge of the Earth...

And they feared the Kraken and all sorts of Giant Sea Monsters too.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

WOW!!

I peaked to see what could be keeping a Geno/flat Earth pumping for 9 pages and.........whoa.  They are among us!

I haven't read back all the pages, but did any of them describe where the edges are and why we can't see them?

there is a wormhole hidden in a hologram that transports you back to the beginning 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Well, if we are talking God know this, the Lord said let there be a firmament above the Earth, to seperate the waters of the Earth from the waters above the Earth....so there's that?

oh boy, now your getting into the Hollow Earth meme.

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is where we're at as a society in 2018.  For decades we've underinvested in education, refused to fire underperforming teachers, and have permitted (through moral relativism and other questionable doctrines) unscientific "beliefs" to compete on an equal playing field against cold, hard, empirical evidence.  Now we're saddled with millions of semi-literate voters who will believe anything they semi-read on the internet.  The conditions were set up for external manipulation via fake news - whether or not that actually happened/caused a particular result, there is no question that America is, well, just plain stupid, and readily susceptible to "alternative facts" such as "the moon landing was faked" and "the Earth is flat."  We've collectively gotten dumber as a society.

oh boy. because you should not ever question anything academia (or anyone else for that matter)  presents as fact. if that were the case, we all would still think the Earth was flat.

no quicker way to the slaughter house than to never question what is fed to you......

Edited by Foxx

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

oh boy. because you should not ever question anything academia (or anyone else for that matter)  presents as fact. if that were the case, we all would still think the Earth was flat.

no quicker way to the slaughter house than to never question what is fed to you......

Ok, I’ll bite. When did “academia” ever teach that the world was flat? 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Ok, I’ll bite. When did “academia” ever teach that the world was flat? 

Rather, it wasn't taught that the Earth was round till Copernicus' great revelation, as promoted by the church. Yeah, Aristotle and a few others proposed it circa 200 b.c...but it wasn't taught as truth till Copernicus.  

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

academia consists of: the environment or community concerned with the pursuit of research, education, and scholarship.

are you under the belief that it was never professed/believed that the Earth was flat?

Not by "academia."

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

Rather, it wasn't taught that the Earth was round till Copernicus' great revelation, as promoted by the church. Yeah, Aristotle and a few others proposed it circa 200 b.c...but it wasn't taught as truth till Copernicus.  

You're confusing "heliocentric solar system" with "spherical earth."  And it was PROVEN by 200BCE, and taught as truth thereafter.

You're just massively ignorant, basically.

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

academia consists of: the environment or community concerned with the pursuit of research, education, and scholarship.

are you under the belief that it was never professed/believed that the Earth was flat?

It certainly was and is still believed that the earth is flat as this thread sadly illustrates. And some, especially clergy and the ignoran, professed and continue to profess it, certainly. 

I’m asking when scholars actually taught it in academic settings, since it’s been known, even among the most illiterate of their times, for thousands of years that the earth is spherical. 

We were taught myths that Columbus’ crew were afraid of falling off the edge of the earth on their voyage but sailors were actually educated on the subject and had been for milenia by 1492. That’s the only reference to the subject of flat earth I can recall from school personally. 

9 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

That’s just wrong.

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Not by "academia."

You're confusing "heliocentric solar system" with "spherical earth."  And it was PROVEN by 200BCE, and taught as truth thereafter.

You're just massively ignorant, basically.

i would beg to differ. i believe there were plenty of scholars that thought and taught that the Earth was flat.

as to the heliocentric model, here is a good video that explains that view.

Edited by Foxx

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

i would beg to differ. i believe there were plenty of scholars that thought and taught that the Earth was flat.

You would be wrong.  Again: your second grade teacher LIED TO YOU.

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It certainly was and is still believed that the earth is flat as this thread sadly illustrates. And some, especially clergy and the ignoran, professed and continue to profess it, certainly. 

I’m asking when scholars actually taught it in academic settings, since it’s been known, even among the most illiterate of their times, for thousands of years that the earth is spherical. 

We were taught myths that Columbus’ crew were afraid of falling off the edge of the earth on their voyage but sailors were actually educated on the subject and had been for milenia by 1492. That’s the only reference to the subject of flat earth I can recall from school personally. 

That’s just wrong.

Umm..no, its not

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

so... the Pontifical Academy never taught that the Earth was flat, even though scripture seems to explicitly imply that it is/was?

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

In fact, there are still to this day scholars teaching a flat earth. 

Just show me 2 pictures of earth that are the same, and i'll never question it again

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

further, and to be even more specific, research Lactantius or Cosmas Indicopleustes, Severian of Gabala, Theodore of Mopsuestia, and Diodore of Tarsus..

Edited by Foxx

19 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Umm..no, its not

What’s not? Flat earth nut jobs aren’t professing their beliefs today or didn’t in the past? What’s not, exactly? Be specific; at least to the degree you are able. 

Like I said earlier, you are either a troll or woefully and willfully ignorant. Either way, you aren’t capable of reasoned dialog, let  alone learned. 

14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

further, and to be even more specific, research Lactantius , Cosmas Indicopleustes, Severian of Gabala, Theodore of Mopsuestia, and Diodore of Tarsus.

Were not scholars, they were obscure theologians that no academics took seriously.  Except for Diodorous...but there's absolutely no direct evidence that he believed in a flat Earth.

17 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

500 bce? YOU are the ignorant one, sir. They debated because they pondered how they could change the truth to further advance their own agenda. Hence the Bible states, God created the firmament to seperate the waters Above, AND Below the Earth. Van Allen asteroid belt? Sorry, I meant to say Van Allen radiation belt, which even Armstrong and Aldrin claim humans cannot penetrate. Its a firmament

P.s....dont be calling me an idiot you old, uneducated !@#$. Regardless of our difference of opinion. Also, look at any pucture of earth from space over the last 40 years. Not ONE look the same. Why? Because they are artist renditions! Do homework and come back.

For the record, im not sold on it. But im certainly not obtuse like you. Im open to ALL evidence to make my OWN opinion. Dick

Hey look everyone, we have our very own flat-earther here at TBD! ??

(just messin with ya) but seriously, the earth is absolutely, 100% without a doubt not flat. 

34 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

In fact, there are still to this day scholars teaching a flat earth. 

Just show me 2 pictures of earth that are the same, and i'll never question it again

FFS, given the ever-changing face of the earth from outer space due to its continuous atmospheric changes, you should be MORE suspicious of two exactly alike images. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Hey look everyone, we have our very own flat-earther here at TBD! ??

(just messin with ya) but seriously, the earth is absolutely, 100% without a doubt not flat. 

It's bizarre to me that in 2018, there are flat earthers.  

Just now, DC Tom said:

The world is flat, because...clouds!

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the earth was flat, there wouldn't be a north or south pole?

13 hours ago, Pilsner said:

As much as I respect DC Tom, I will have to veer towards your viewpoint BuffAlone on this topic over what the majority is espousing. I am not a true earther (although I have been researching the subject) and I am not a globalist. I am in search of the truth. Since I now believe that God exists, why can't there be the possibility of a form of earth that does not fit the standard issue narrative? I don't believe we ever made it to the moon. I will not go into detail as to why I believe this at this time but anyone who puts some time into researching this should come to a similar conclusion as I have made. I often times look at the moon. If for example you were inclined to hold up a balloon in your living room with all lights turned off and have a family member shine a flashlight at said balloon, what would you see? Some light reflected off of the balloon obviously but it would be hard to ignore the brightest of the light being reflected off of the center. Now if the moon was a sphere, wouldn't it reflect the sun's light in the same manner? But it does not. The moon 'reflects' light as if it were a round, flat object. You might as well hold up a round piece of paper and shine light on it. This should cause any person who pays some attention to this to go... hmmm....  The next time you have a nice view of the moon, go take a gander.

edit: Argh, it pains me to even for a split second think a similar thought to Geno. Argh!

Dude, you can observe that the moon is spherical, or technically an oblate spheroid, with a telescope. Or even with the naked eye. 

During a a solar eclipse, the suns shadow is always nearly circular.

The only geometric object that can yield a near-circular eclipse in any orientation is a spheroid.

The terminator of the moon (the boundary between the day side and night side) is ALWAYS arc shaped as observed from earth. Only spheroids can show such an edge in any orientation. 

Knowing that the moon also rotates/spins, how would we never see the flat edge? 

Just the fact alone that it looks looks like a disc from any viewing angle/point in orbit proves that it's a spheroid. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's bizarre to me that in 2018, there are flat earthers.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the earth was flat, there wouldn't be a north or south pole?

I am absolutely blown away by this man. 

You have to disregard sooooooooooooo much science and information to believe the earth is flat, it just blows my mind to think about. 

Edited by BillsFan4