Geno = Flat Earth Truther?

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Oh - sorry about that. When it comes to science deniers, it's hard to tell the difference between satire and someone's actual opinion.

No sorry required at all, my friend.

My "ridicule" of DC Tom's great straight to the point explanation was on page 5.

...and granted, this subject is not football related, but this is not a great look for someone who is asking someone else to pay them millions of dollars.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, DC Tom said:

It's physics.  Aggregation of material under gravity results in a spherical shape above a certain certain size.  A flat earth requires a completely new and locally wildly different theory of gravity.

Put a pot of coffee on and I'll call dog14787. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

I believe that science is its own dogmatic religion and it is fine to question accepted scientific fact (fwiw making observations with our limited perspective is like saying you know what a billion piece puzzle looks like when all you have a piece of cardboard dust from the box), but there needs to be an open-mindedness to such questioning and equally compelling facts that aren't actually a bunch of debunked observations with no validity.  The interesting part of this flat Earth stuff is that they are actually promoting some idea that very powerful people know and are intending to deceive everyone - while there is certainly some truth to the underlying sentiment that there are very powerful people that benefit from exploiting people - it totally undermines how much power the majority has if they exercise it because it creates a myth that this small power group is way stronger and persuasive than we could imagine.  It's an interesting psychology, but its actually not surprising.,

I don't believe you're an idiot.  I hypothesize that you are, and posit a null hypothesis that you're not, then after empirical observation and measurement of this post, I scientifically conclude that you are an idiot (p>0.95), which allows me to not only explain your dumbass post above, but allows me to predict that your next post will be of roughly equal dumbassery.

• Haha (+1) 3

On 2/25/2018 at 10:08 AM, matter2003 said:

Galileo proved 500 years ago the earth was not flat, and pictures from space continue to do so(oh, they must be fake I  bet they say) and was almost put to death for heresy because people didn't want to believe it.  Now almost 500 years later these idiots with less than 5 brain cells among them want to go back to thinking from the middle ages??  Incomprehensible.

Actually, the classical Greeks proved it (Aristotle, Archimedes, and Eratosthenes) and measured it.  There was never really a time after them that scholars believed the Earth was flat.  And even before Aristotle, there were probably some cultures that suspected it, or proved it but left no record of it (Phoenecians, Egyptians, and whoever built Stonehenge, for example).  

Galileo didn't prove the earth was round, he was the first to collect convincing empirical evidence (Venus' crescent and the Galilean moons of Jupiter), that the Earth was not the center of the universe, which among other things violated the Books of Genesis and Joshua. 

As dumb as Geno and his Flat Truth ideas are...this thread caused me to google Flat Earther's to see there crazy explanations and it provided some good laughs, so thanks again Geno for always doing something to make us laugh (at you).

My favorite was this Game of Thrones like explanation of how the Earth is flat circle disc surrounded by an ice wall LMAO.  Direct quote from one of their sites:

The earth is surrounded on all sides by an ice wall that holds the oceans back. This ice wall is what explorers have named Antarctica. Beyond the ice wall is a topic of great interest to the Flat Earth Society. To our knowledge, no one has been very far past the ice wall and returned to tell of their journey. What we do know is that it encircles the earth and serves to hold in our oceans and helps protect us from whatever lies beyond.

HAHAHAHA!  People believe this nonsense?  

On 2/25/2018 at 11:58 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Here's a great idea for a reality TV show. "Geno Smith's Search For The Edge Of The World!" Geno and his plucky crew travel the Earth looking for its edge.

:lol: That WOULD be an awesome show. I'd certainly watch.

• Like (+1) 1

PS:  I live at the beach in LA...I have literally watched SpaceX in front of my eyes go into space while it was also being live streamed accurately to what I was watching where you can also clearly see the curve of the earth.  So unless someone wants to tell me Elon Musk spent all this money to spoof a giant hologram in my sky over my head so he can then fake a launch for the purpose of showing fake space live feed for the purpose to further sell the fake round earth story...then no one has a leg to stand on.

Not to mention about a billion other ways that 100% without question debunk flat earth.  I mean people are inventing things to try and create a flat earth idea while all science that exists prove its round.

Also, I guess telescope companies are in on the fraud too because when I look through a telescope I can buy anywhere I can see every other visible planet and moon are clearly a sphere.  So they also must rig those telescopes to trick our eyes too...or they just think every other planet in existence is a sphere by Earth is somehow some special exception hahahaha. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Also, I guess telescope companies are in on the fraud too because when I look through a telescope I can buy anywhere I can see every other visible planet and moon are clearly a sphere.  So they also must rig those telescopes to trick our eyes too...or they just think every other planet in existence is a sphere by Earth is somehow some special exception hahahaha. 

That is not scientific or empirical.  Observing that other celestial bodies are round does not mean the Earth is round.  

That's the equivalent of me calling Ayjent an idiot based on Buffalo Barbarian's posts.

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As dumb as Geno and his Flat Truth ideas are...this thread caused me to google Flat Earther's to see there crazy explanations and it provided some good laughs, so thanks again Geno for always doing something to make us laugh (at you).

My favorite was this Game of Thrones like explanation of how the Earth is flat circle disc surrounded by an ice wall LMAO.  Direct quote from one of their sites:

The earth is surrounded on all sides by an ice wall that holds the oceans back. This ice wall is what explorers have named Antarctica. Beyond the ice wall is a topic of great interest to the Flat Earth Society. To our knowledge, no one has been very far past the ice wall and returned to tell of their journey. What we do know is that it encircles the earth and serves to hold in our oceans and helps protect us from whatever lies beyond.

HAHAHAHA!  People believe this nonsense?  

Actually GoT has an episode called: "Beyond the Wall" Season 7 ep 6...

I also believe this guy went beyond the ice wall and returned:

Image result for jon snow flat earth beyond the wall

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That is not scientific or empirical.  Observing that other celestial bodies are round does not mean the Earth is round.  

That's the equivalent of me calling Ayjent an idiot based on Buffalo Barbarian's posts.

Really?  Every other celestial body in the visible galaxy being spherical has no logic in hypothesizing the shape of the Earth?  

To those who asked why does anyone care to push an agenda such as flat earth I would guess it's similar to the organized religions.  Perhaps hoping to make huge money and followers such as scientology did with it's sci-fi alien origins.  There's always going to be that greedy guy who wants more women and money than he should ever be allowed.. . and the rest are all gullible rubes; same as it ever was. 

Edited by sleeby

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Really?  Every other celestial body in the visible galaxy being spherical has no logic in hypothesizing the shape of the Earth?  

Hypothesizing?  Yes.  Even strongly suggesting: there's a scientific principle, the name of which I'm forgetting, which basically boils down to not assuming your observations or environment is in any way special.  So if you see every other celestial body is spherical, you should assume the one that you're on is not special, and therefore hypothesize that it is in fact spherical.

But proving?  That's not proof.  It's merely a hypothesis to be tested.  Much like "geckos adhere to surfaces because they are one-legged and spherical" - which was actually my entire point of that absurdist discussion 20 years ago.  You can hypothesize any damned bull **** you want...but the quality of a theory is strictly in the empirical measurement of it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One question that no one seems able or willing to answer (aside from whether Pegula can own BOTH the Bills AND the Sabres) is why and to what end has the scientific community and world governments perpetrated a round earth conspiracy for hundreds of years?  The amount of effort and expense taken to cement a round earth "conspiracy" is mind boggling.  This issue must be of such incredible importance to the world's ruling class that the Soviets and Americans worked together to sell the lie while also working to destroy each other and I haven't even seen one proposed reason as to why round earth is important and who profits.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This issue must be of such incredible importance to the world's ruling class that the Soviets and Americans worked together to sell the lie while also working to destroy each other and I haven't even seen one proposed reason as to why round earth is important and who profits.

It's to keep us rubes from panicking and becoming useless - think blinders on a horse.  If we were to know that the earth had edges we would worry incessantly about falling off.  Think it through brother.  Easy stuff. I'll work with you on any level.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

One question that no one seems able or willing to answer (aside from whether Pegula can own BOTH the Bills AND the Sabres) is why and to what end has the scientific community and world governments perpetrated a round earth conspiracy for hundreds of years?  The amount of effort and expense taken to cement a round earth "conspiracy" is mind boggling.  This issue must be of such incredible importance to the world's ruling class that the Soviets and Americans worked together to sell the lie while also working to destroy each other and I haven't even seen one proposed reason as to why round earth is important and who profits.

aliens.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Hypothesizing?  Yes.  Even strongly suggesting: there's a scientific principle, the name of which I'm forgetting, which basically boils down to not assuming your observations or environment is in any way special.  So if you see every other celestial body is spherical, you should assume the one that you're on is not special, and therefore hypothesize that it is in fact spherical.

But proving?  That's not proof.  It's merely a hypothesis to be tested.  Much like "geckos adhere to surfaces because they are one-legged and spherical" - which was actually my entire point of that absurdist discussion 20 years ago.  You can hypothesize any damned bull **** you want...but the quality of a theory is strictly in the empirical measurement of it. 

How about sailing off to sea and seeing the horizon vanish? That would suggest a curvature, no?

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How about sailing off to sea and seeing the horizon vanish? That would suggest a curvature, no?

That's probably one of the ways the Phoenecians and Greeks figured it out.  The other being the altitude of celestial bodies over the horizon.  

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

The moon is flat like a giant round of cheese.  

So who do you think  you are kidding?   :D