Taylor/Jackson Tandem

Flip Johnson

I would be open to the idea if the Bills committed to running a system that fit Taylor and Jackson. It would not be my first choice as I would prefer the Bills to get  one of the top quarterbacks (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield). But if they are unable to move up, then this might be a decent backup plan. Although, the same complaints many posters have had about Tyrod are likely to continue with Jackson. He is limited as a passer right now and probably will never develop into an elite passer (he has too far to go and I just don't see that happening). However, Jackson is an elite runner and has tremendous natural arm talent so he is a threat to defenses (even more than Tyrod). 

12 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Having listened to Beane talk about what they’re looking for in a quarterback, I don’t honk either guy fits the Bill.

i could totally see them going after a vet like Bradford, McCown, even Bortles if he’s cut, and then drafting someone to sit behind the vet. Even Bridgewater is a possibility. As for draft quarterbacks, I think they’ll go after Darnold/Allen/Rudolph. I think Rudolph will interview well and he might have a better head for the game than most think. 

What did Tavaris Jackson get for never throwing a pass for the Bills? 1.5 mill? Yeah let's keep throwing money out the freaking window with QBs who are best served as career backups. Yes they may get you to the playoffs as a starter BUT think about it this. How many times did we score 3 points.  .......... Mike drop!

DK

F'd up wasn't responding to you. Just in response to OP. My B. 

Edited by BuffaloMatt

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree, Domdab if you wander over to the Eliot Crist e v a l of Jackson thread look at the .gifs.  There are some of throws where I was "yeah, you know what, Tyrod would never make that throw because he'd have bailed out and run by then".  And you know it's not that Jackson couldn't, the point is, he doesn't

I don't think the Bills will draft him.  I think they're all in for a big pocket passer type.

Jackson is a more gifted thrower of the football than Taylor.  

But Jackson is also a high pedigree star........if he ends up being a first round pick that pedigree will get him a large margin for error and multiple chances to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Taylor entered the league as a 6th rounder..........he hit FA with zero fanfare and had to scrap to get his shot and he knows that he has little margin for error wrt to things like turnovers so he has become a naturally ultra-cautious pro QB.    

And he's wise to be that way.......if he puts up a 20 TD and 12 INT season he's getting benched and cut regardless of the circumstances.........by not putting up a concerning stat line like that he may actually get another shot to start somewhere in the NFL.      

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you explain what in Mayfield's game leads you to describe him as a "cerebral pocket passer"?  Not saying he couldn't become one, just saying that's not his "Now".

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't think Baker is Johnny 2.0 with his personality/character by any means, that's absurd to me, but his playstyle is similar, but I think baker's strengths will translate to the NFL better. (....)  He is about as far from a "cerebral pocket passer" as this qb draft has though.

That's pretty well where I am.  I think Mayfield may become a good, possibly great NFL QB.  He's got that fire.  He can be electrifying.

He may even one day become a "cerebral pocket passer"

But that would be then.  This is now. 

If we want a "cerebral pocket passer" in this draft, it's either Rosen, a pocket-passer in development like Jackson (depending on how he comes across in his interviews), or a guy who looks the part of a cerebral pocket passer against lower levels of competition (White, Lauletta) and who may not have/may never develop the arm to compete in the NFL.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Taylor entered the league as a 6th rounder..........he hit FA with zero fanfare and had to scrap to get his shot and he knows that he has little margin for error wrt to things like turnovers so he has become a naturally ultra-cautious pro QB.    

And he's wise to be that way.......if he puts up a 20 TD and 12 INT season he's getting benched and cut regardless of the circumstances.........by not putting up a concerning stat line like that he may actually get another shot to start somewhere in the NFL.      

I don't disagree with what you say, but Riddle me This:  how did Fitzpatrick wrangle a 23 TD/15 INT season followed by a 24 TD/23 INT season, and still get another starting gig?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Rosen or Mayfield.

Trade up. Do whatever it takes.

Just dont go full Ditka.

This might be the most interesting draft I can remember. You have to sit tight and be patient, keep your poker face on,  see who drops and know when to pounce. Play this draft like a master and we can be in great shape going forward. EVERY draft is important, but this one is different. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't disagree with what you say, but Riddle me This:  how did Fitzpatrick wrangle a 23 TD/15 INT season followed by a 24 TD/23 INT season, and still get another starting gig?

There aren’t enough QB’s to go around? Maybe the snazzy beard? Probably one of those two things....

8 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Scroney legs Jackson and never throw it Tyrod, oh the future looks so bright. Run Tyrod run, run Jackson run.

They can take turns on the IR while we continue with a new OC every season. Hopefully Cinci will give us that wild card again.

As usual you dont know what your talking about

Show me the year Tyrod has been on IR

4 hours ago, kdiggz said:

I saw the Michael Vick 2.0 comparisons online. Michael Vick had success because he was built like a RB. Lamar Jackson is built like a WR. He will have some limited success because he is a playmaker but he will never be Vick. His build is more comparable to RG3 and we saw how long his toothpick legs lasted. Running QB's don't last very long at the NFL level and skinny running QB's last even less

RG3 career was derailed too soon by a coach that played him hurt....he never recovered from it.

Before that....he was the next big thing.

5 hours ago, Albwan said:

only racists see racist ghosts around every corner.

This is not true....

4 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

*Slowclap*

Glad we agree (on Jackson too)

It has been proven that pocket qbs are just as injured as running qbs......so I take no stock in people that want a "pocket passer" for durability reasons.

The wanting a pocket passer so that he will actually throw the ball?  Now that is valid.....I very much would like to see the "threat" of a running qb while he is allowing his playmakers earn their paychecks catching the ball....this is where Tyrod has failed in his seasons here.

In the reports I have read....Jackson is not Tyrod Taylor on the field and actually is willing to throw the ball....people that make the comparisons are just being lazy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fitz hasn't gone anywhere in his career where the team thought he was going to start.

Not even as a bridge.

Always an afterthought who has gotten his chances due to injury.   But he keeps getting those shots at being a #2 behind a shaky starter because he's perceived as a very smart, conventional offense guy.

Fitz actually plays more like a very dumb guy who has to be schemed such that he can't beat his team with mistakes... which never happens and he beats his team with mistakes.....but that's the power of perception.

Taylor's numbers are such that a team can actually justify bringing him in as a bridge........if only because teams that win the turnover battle win about 80% of the time.......it's the stat that transcends all the change in football and he is the NFL's least intercepted % passer of all time.

But there is also that perception that he is dumb and not a conventional offense guy so without that conservative "won't get you beat" rep he could easily go adrift and not even get the chances Fitz gets.

The question is......with among other examples,  Philly just beating the Pats in the SB running a college offense....will teams be more willing to take chances on better players who need some scheme help to reach their potential like Taylor versus more conventional but lesser players like Fitz who just always get you beat in the end.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Fitz hasn't gone anywhere in his career where the team thought he was going to start.

That may be.  But it just makes one shake one's head then, that with Trent Edwards and Brian Brohm as the other options, the Bills didn't do more for themselves at QB in 2008/2010 than acquire Fitz and draft Levi Brown in the 7th.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

(Fitz) keeps getting those shots at being a #2 behind a shaky starter because he's perceived as a very smart, conventional offense guy. (....)

Taylor's numbers are such that a team can actually justify bringing him in as a bridge........But there is also that perception that he is dumb and not a conventional offense guy so without that conservative "won't get you beat" rep he could easily go adrift and not even get the chances Fitz gets.

I know that this isn't at all your intent, but some people do perceive those as code for "he's white....and he's black"

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That may be.  But it just makes one shake one's head then, that with Trent Edwards and Brian Brohm as the other options, the Bills didn't do more for themselves at QB in 2008/2010 than acquire Fitz and draft Levi Brown in the 7th.

I know that this isn't at all your intent, but some people do perceive those as code for "he's white....and he's black"

That part certainly is Taylor's perception.........he's made that clear..........and it's his perception that drives his decision making.     

Wherever Lamar Jackson goes he will enter that situation on much more firm ground than Taylor ever has been............so it's more likely a lot of those Tony Romo "throw it!" situations that Taylor won't risk,  Lamar will.    

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That part certainly is Taylor's perception.........he's made that clear..........and it's his perception that drives his decision making.     

Wherever Lamar Jackson goes he will enter that situation on much more firm ground than Taylor ever has been............so it's more likely a lot of those Tony Romo "throw it!" situations that Taylor won't risk,  Lamar will.    

I really think there is merit to what you are saying here Bado

I have always felt that TT has always thought he was one big mistake away from getting benched....coaches love players that dont make mistakes.....so he doesnt pull the trigger at times when its a 50/50 who will come away with the ball

Having said that.....the growing perception (and Im actually starting to buy into it a bit) is that NOT throwing the ball on a 50/50 in crucial situations with the game on the line and nothing to lose because you are gonna lose anyway.......Tyrod has to make that throw and does not.

Personally....I like ball security.....but then you have to live with the offense that it produces....you must have a defense that will give you another chance with the ball.....and you must have playmakers on offense that will do something with a ball when they are around it.

12 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I really think there is merit to what you are saying here Bado

I have always felt that TT has always thought he was one big mistake away from getting benched....coaches love players that dont make mistakes.....so he doesnt pull the trigger at times when its a 50/50 who will come away with the ball

Having said that.....the growing perception (and Im actually starting to buy into it a bit) is that NOT throwing the ball on a 50/50 in crucial situations with the game on the line and nothing to lose because you are gonna lose anyway.......Tyrod has to make that throw and does not.

Personally....I like ball security.....but then you have to live with the offense that it produces....you must have a defense that will give you another chance with the ball.....and you must have playmakers on offense that will do something with a ball when they are around it.

I think 90%+ of the Taylor gripes are actually about throws not made at points during the game when a turnover can swing the tide against you.

But as for throws not made when getting hammered.........look at it from his perspective..........this team has made no financial commitment to him long term and on top of that they gave him the WORST WR situation in the league to work with........so why throw 4 interceptions into coverage mismatches against New Orleans when you know that making those throws won't win you the game......but will likely make quality employment harder for you next year?

10 hours ago, Albwan said:

only racists see racist ghosts around every corner.

Excuse me? Seriously? What kind of tool/troll comes on the internet from behind their keyboard and actually has the audacity and nerve to call someone they don't even know a racist? 

Had you have bothered to read (asking a lot around here I know) you would have taken away that there was no implied racism nor racist ghosts. I know comprehension is hard, but the dig was the lazy comparison between the two. It's easy, it's lazy, and it's in correct. Leave it to some nitwit who can't be bothered to read to start throwing around the race card. Furthermore,  before you start gracing us with more of your uninformed observations - get a clue and try and keep up. This is the last time I take the time to bring you up to speed and consider it a favor so you don't post yourself in a corner and all respect is lost for your scolding hot takes.

Grow up and talk football

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I want a trip to Belize.  And a pony.  I definitely want a pony.

I mean, who is this cerebral pocket passer you think we have a real shot to get?  I'd like Cousins myself followed by Rosen, but while the heart wants this, the head says that both may be out of our reach.

Careful what you ask for, ponies eat a lot, crap a lot, and take up a lot of space. Cerebral pocket passers are also generally lousy company.

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Careful what you ask for, ponies eat a lot, crap a lot, and take up a lot of space. Cerebral pocket passers are also generally lousy company.

I have a garden and a compost pile, NP.  The space thing could be a concern.

Not worried about his company.  Just sling the rock to the guys in the right jerseys and I'm good.

8 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Shetland ponies are the fricken devil

Yes....I have a story

Please save it for the next framing tyrods stats in a positive light thread. It'll give me a reason to read past the 1st sentence;) if I gotta sift through the crap hopefully I get a good story ABOUT crap out of it lol

Edited by gobills1212
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/24/2018 at 2:01 AM, Flip Johnson said:

I don't know if the Bills have a definitive plan yet or rather several possibilities that they are keeping in play as we get closer to draft day.

However, if the Bills are open to retaining Taylor, I could see them holding on to their picks or perhaps only moving up slightly to draft Lamar Jackson (right now evaluations on Lamar Jackson seem very fluid).

This would allow for a situation similar to what San Francisco had with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. The mobile, experienced game manager is starting, while the younger, more explosive QB is waiting in the wings. Lamar comes in and starts when he's ready, be that game 1, game 10, or 2019. In Kaepernick's case he took over a team with a 6-2-1 record. But in the meantime, Taylor plays at a reasonable price tag, and we already know he has the support of the locker room and decent career winning percentage.

I don't think McDermott wants to miss the playoffs this year - I don't think he's enamored with Taylor, but it's already proven that he can be a playoff team with him. Drafting Jackson (if you like him) would allow the Bills to basically keep their picks and fill out other needs. Plus, while I don't think they are at all the same player, they have some similar traits that Daboll may be able to take advantage of.

Please no gimmick QBs . We need a true Pocket passer  . But i can see this happening definitely wouldn't make me happy though. 

You guys want a running QB? So why draft one as RG3 is looking for work and for that matter so is Geno Smith, Colin Kaepernick...anyone? Anyone?

Anyone else recalls what the Redskins gave up to move up to #2 to draft RG3...

I think the entire reason the FO hired Deball was to move away from the running QB scheme to a more of a pocket passer. PLEASE, no more running QB's.

BTW, the story on why RG3 no longer has a job in the NFL as a QB. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/11/19/chris-cooley-rgiii-was-so-bad-i-cant-assess-the-rest-of-the-redskins-offense/?utm_term=.fb6baf15092c

Griffin’s throwing motion

“He’s short-arming the ball,” Cooley said. “He has bad technique, he’s not setting his feet right….He has the yips. He does have the yips, where the ball’s just not coming out of your hand right, so now you’ve aborted all technique, because you don’t have a feel for the ball coming out of your hand, and you’re getting this shot-put throw action. You’re aiming. He has the yips. He does. He just does.”

On 2/23/2018 at 10:30 PM, gobills1212 said:

How about a Tyrod Rosen tandem? Or Taylor Mayfield?

I would be enchanted with either of those, especially the first.

I think the only reason Tyrod-Jackson is coming up as a potential pairing is

1) a lot of us fear trading up for Rosen or even Mayfield may cost too much

2) because they both have the similar ability to run, in theory one could pull plays from the playbook that would work reasonably for both of them - I don't see this as a huge deal as I believe Jackson will quickly be able to run plays Tyrod can not.

3 hours ago, Buffaloed in Pa said:

No   . This will not bring us a Lombardi Trophy ever. Get the pocket passer with a little mobility.

And who is that pocket passer?

See, here's the thing.  Everyone wants to draft Matt Ryan or Jared Goff, or maybe Jimmy Garappolo.  And maybe in this draft, that guy is Josh Rosen.

If we can get him, great!  But there has to be some thought for who will play QB, if you can't get that guy.   And even if you do, stuff happens.  He might get hurt.  He might prove too much of a bonehead to take coaching.

You have to take shots, you can't say "couldn't draft Cam Newton or Andrew Luck - Damn, now I'll take my pick and go elsewhere than QB!" like the Bills did in 2011 and 2012.  Work your way up if you're not in position for a top draft pick - take a Foles, trade him for a Bradford, then trade up for a Wentz and trade your Bradford to recoup the costs.

It can't be a "one shot per cot" kind of deal

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

On 2/25/2018 at 1:29 AM, Fadingpain said:

If you were wondering what dumb as dirt sounds like, listen to Lamar Jackson talk for a while.

Holy ****.

Agreed.  It’s the only thing that makes me apprehensive about drafting him.  

On 2/23/2018 at 11:51 PM, SoTier said:

Drew Brees is only 6' and Russell Wilson isn't even 6'.  OTOH,  Brock Osweiler is like 6'7".

Brees is closer to 6'1 and has the arm length of a man 6'5 in height while Wilson can negate the disadvantage of his height by moving outside the Pocket.  Mayfield doesn't have either one of those advantages.  I like the kid I do not want the Bills to draft him.  

• Like (+1) 1

On February 25, 2018 at 1:29 AM, Fadingpain said:

If you were wondering what dumb as dirt sounds like, listen to Lamar Jackson talk for a while.

Holy ****.

It's sad when a black person with a southern drawl is equated to being dumb!!! The kid has not a blemish on his career and became a straight A student in high school when pressed by his coach. Do some research before you characterize someone. 

On 2/25/2018 at 12:29 AM, Fadingpain said:

Holy ****.

I don't see this.  Watch a couple post game interviews, not the Heisman speech, where he was practically incoherent.

He comes across as uncomfortable and shy in front of the camera.  He has a Southern Black accent and pattern of speech which is hard for a lot of us Northeners to understand - I had my eyes opened when I was selected for a jury pool and heard the court reporter asking Asian and Indian men to repeat themselves, when I could understand them perfectly well the first time because I worked with a lot of guys from those backgrounds so I was used to their accent and patterns of speech.

But he doesn't come across as dumb to me at all when he's less emotional and more relaxed, especially where football is concerned (I'm not interested in his grasp of vector calculus).  Comes across as modest, grounded, willing to take responsibility for mistakes without getting down, and a leader on his team.

What he doesn't come across as, is the NFL-executive, Chairman of the Board type that EJM and Tim Tebow looked like.  So if that's of critical importance to a team, they should stay away.  But how a guy looks in a suit and his diction in front of a microphone don't help him in pads on Sunday.  I LOL at his Heisman outfit.  The shoes!

Oh, and he comes across as somewhat scared of his momma.  But that might be understandable.  Catch the bit at 1:40 about his Momma putting pads on in the backyard to toughen him up - "she dropped me, I had to deal with it" - ROTFL.  His advice to young guys - "stay humble.  don't let anything go to your head.  stay in the books, them books gonna take you so far."  He comes across to me as what he is - a kid from a working background in a small southern town who has worked hard and taken advantage of his opportunities.

• Like (+1) 1