Anonymous QB Scouts' Takes on the Draft Class

DCOrange

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Adjusted completion rate. Really? That's for losers. His completion rate is for multiple years. How far back are you going to go with an adjusted completion rate? Do or don't do, there is no try. 

Adjusted completion percentage has its issues but it’s certainly better to attempt to adjust for drops and throwaways than to pretend a perfect pass that’s dropped is worse than a bad pass that’s caught. 

Neither one necessarily measures how good a player’s ball placement is but people smarter than you or I have tracked that as well and determined that Lamar’s ball placement is roughly average compared to the rest of the class, which in combination with his running ability should make him a very promising prospect IMO. 

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Adjusted completion percentage has its issues but it’s certainly better to attempt to adjust for drops and throwaways than to pretend a perfect pass that’s dropped is worse than a bad pass that’s caught. 

Neither one necessarily measures how good a player’s ball placement is but people smarter than you or I have tracked that as well and determined that Lamar’s ball placement is roughly average compared to the rest of the class, which in combination with his running ability should make him a very promising prospect IMO. 

Maybe, but not in the first round. I tend to believe you are what your record says you are. Not a bunch of looking back in the rearview mirror and making adjustments.

28 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Maybe, but not in the first round. I tend to believe you are what your record says you are. Not a bunch of looking back in the rearview mirror and making adjustments.

You would not have liked John Elway then.  “His” record was under .500 his senior season.

I think what we saw of Josh Allen in the senior bowl is more of who he is than what went on at Wyoming. This kid has legit talent and out of the top 6 QB’s, he’s the one I’m least concerned about. Rosen is still my top QB talent wise, but his question marks outweigh the inaccuracy questions surrounding Allen.

The scout talks about "knowing what they're doing" when talking about Allen's sh*t completion percentage, but then knocks Jackson for his? A bit contra-dick-tory you might say. He says Mayfield is not athletic? He seems quite elusive on the field at times and takes off running when needed having enough speed to outrun LB's on occassion. Just because he got caught by the police on that one bounce doesn't mean he's like Tom Brady back there. The comparisons seem decent on a serious note though, but I am also on the Mayfield bandwagon so I disagree there. Jackson and Griffin though? No way. Jackson is way more electric as a runner than Griffin ever hoped to be. Griffin may have been the better passer though. 

Edited by H2o

24 minutes ago, H2o said:

The scout talks about "knowing what they're doing" when talking about Allen's sh*t completion percentage, but then knocks Jackson for his? A bit contra-dick-tory you might say. He says Mayfield is not athletic? He seems quite elusive on the field at times and takes off running when needed having enough speed to outrun LB's on occassion. Just because he got caught by the police on that one bounce doesn't mean he's like Tom Brady back there. The comparisons seem decent on a serious note though, but I am also on the Mayfield bandwagon so I disagree there. Jackson and Griffin though? No way. Jackson is way more electric as a runner than Griffin ever hoped to be. Griffin may have been the better passer though. 

Obviously by every standard Baker is a very athletic kid. He is a Division 1 QB and a small one at that, he is obviously very athletically gifted 

but for NFL standards he isn't that great of an athlete. Probably in the bottom 10-12 athletically wise if you were to rank him out of 32 starting QBs. 

But i don't think that's an issue 

On 2/23/2018 at 7:11 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Obviously by every standard Baker is a very athletic kid. He is a Division 1 QB and a small one at that, he is obviously very athletically gifted 

but for NFL standards he isn't that great of an athlete. Probably in the bottom 10-12 athletically wise if you were to rank him out of 32 starting QBs. 

But i don't think that's an issue 

He can play from the pocket and make progressions. 

As long as he can pick up the nfl game speed and find his throwing lanes hell be good.

How can you pass up this with your high first round pick?LOL

Yes it takes ALOT of imagination.

Mountain West Player Passing Statistic

PASSING YARDS LEADERS - ALL PLAYERS

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT
1 Nick Stevens, QB CSU 284 459 61.9 3799 8.3 76 29 10 13 147.9
2 Brett Rypien, QB BSU 218 348 62.6 2877 8.3 87 16 6 20 143.8
3 Dru Brown, QB HAW 254 412 61.7 2785 6.8 85 18 8 30 129.0
4 Ty Gangi, QB NEV 228 374 61.0 2746 7.3 82 25 11 7 138.8
5 Marcus McMaryion, QB FRES 218 351 62.1 2726 7.8 81 14 5 8 137.7
6 Christian Chapman, QB SDSU 146 243 60.1 1873 7.7 89 13 4 29 139.2
7 Josh Allen, QB WYO 152 270 56.3 1812 6.7 47 16 6 22 127.8
8 Jordan Love, QB USU 129 235 54.9 1631 6.9 77 8 6 7 119.3
9 Montel Aaron, QB SJSU 126 225 56.0 1531 6.8 59 8 10 22 116.0
10 Armani Rogers, QB UNLV 99 189 52.4 1471 7.8 94 6 5 22 122.9
Edited by horned dogs
  • Haha (+1) 1

I really don't care who the Bills draft at QB. I have to assume they'll get the right guy. That said I've seen the "running" QB, and how difficult it has been to try to make him stay in the pocket when things get dicy. So of all the top prospects I fear Jackson the most.

22 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

How can you pass up this with your high first round pick?LOL

Yes it takes ALOT of imagination.

Mountain West Player Passing Statistic

PASSING YARDS LEADERS - ALL PLAYERS

1 Nick Stevens, QB CSU 284 459 61.9 3799 8.3 76 29 10 13 147.9
2 Brett Rypien, QB BSU 218 348 62.6 2877 8.3 87 16 6 20 143.8
3 Dru Brown, QB HAW 254 412 61.7 2785 6.8 85 18 8 30 129.0
4 Ty Gangi, QB NEV 228 374 61.0 2746 7.3 82 25 11 7 138.8
5 Marcus McMaryion, QB FRES 218 351 62.1 2726 7.8 81 14 5 8 137.7
6 Christian Chapman, QB SDSU 146 243 60.1 1873 7.7 89 13 4 29 139.2
7 Josh Allen, QB WYO 152 270 56.3 1812 6.7 47 16 6 22 127.8
8 Jordan Love, QB USU 129 235 54.9 1631 6.9 77 8 6 7 119.3
9 Montel Aaron, QB SJSU 126 225 56.0 1531 6.8 59 8 10 22 116.0
10 Armani Rogers, QB UNLV 99 189 52.4 1471 7.8 94 6 5 22 122.9

Can we draft "Armani Rogers" ??

Pleeeeeease!?

19 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Not Nick Stevens?

name is too generic.

Armani Rogers? that's a superstar name.

Ty Gangi is pretty legit of a name too.

Brett Rypien is also Mark Rypien's nephew, so maybe we should go with him instead, you know, because the bloodline and all.

Can't teach attitude and can't teach accuracy.

I don't have the details like some of you guys got but I think spending a lot of capital on a QB who can't complete 60%+ in college or who have reputations for being "brats" isnt ideal.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

name is too generic.

Armani Rogers? that's a superstar name.

Ty Gangi is pretty legit of a name too.

Brett Rypien is also Mark Rypien's nephew, so maybe we should go with him instead, you know, because the bloodline and all.

Armani Rogers is only a freshman so keep an eye on this dude, could be the next Josh Allen!

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Armani Rogers is only a freshman so keep an eye on this dude, could be the next Josh Allen!

Should make an entire roster of great names.

ARMANI Rogers

LeCharles BENTLEY

CADILLAC Williams

LINCOLN Kennedy

TAIWAN Jones

JAZZ Peavy

PAC-MAN Jones

HA-HA Clinton Dix

MONTGOMERY VANGORDER 

SPEEDY Morris

I just want a roster full of guys like that.

• Haha (+1) 1

Here are some additional takes on Lamar Jackson from scouts:

Albert Breer writes…

The evaluators I’ve spoken with have questions about his instincts and anticipation in the passing game, and his ability to process within the context of a pro offense, and still believe he’s more thrower than passer… He was seen as raw as a quarterback going into 2016, and the feeling on that remains the same.”

In a piece penned by Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel, the anonymous ACC coach declared that Clemson Tigers signal-caller Deshaun Watson is a superior prospect to Jackson—whom he believes does not have a future playing on Sundays.  

"Watson has a chance to be at least as good as [Jameis] Winston," he said. "We played he and Lamar Jackson, and Jackson has no shot at playing quarterback in the NFL. None. He can’t make the throws and can’t read coverages. He’s not going to have a chance. Watson stands tall in the pocket and whips the ball around like Ben Roethlisberger."

Matt Miller Scouting notes in December 2017:

"I don't know for sure where he'll play in our league, but he's f-ing exciting. I could also see someone breaking him in half the first time he's hit." —AFC defensive coordinator

"With as much natural talent he has, there's developmental potential. The key will be how well his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach can create a scheme for him—like Kyle Shanahan with RGIII—so he can have success early. Then you have to build on that success so defenses don't catch up to him." —NFC player personnel director

"Well, I think the first question is what is he? I don't think he's a great passer despite good arm strength. I don't think he's a powerful enough runner to have success on the ground. So he'll have to learn to be a better thrower and stop relying on his legs. And if that doesn't work, move him to receiver." —former NFL general manager

NFL.Com Bucky Brooks Nov. 2017. When I've discussed Jackson with scouting colleagues, I've heard him described as a "wow" athlete with intriguing talent. An AFC scout told me that he is a "create-a-player" playmaker with a set of skills that are typically associated with five-star players in video games. On the other hand, I've had plenty of scouts tell me that Jackson is more of a thrower than a passer and his sub-60 percent completion rate (59.8 percent this season) reflects his struggles with accuracy and ball placement.

Bucky Brooks Analysis:

In a league where passers are coveted at a premium, it's hard to sell an athletic quarterback with a run-first game to scouts and coaches looking for a polished pocket passer. That's why I wanted to check back in with Jackson to see if he has made enough progress as a passer to warrant consideration as a potential franchise quarterback at the next level.

After studying the All-22 coaches' footage, I believe Jackson is an exceptional athlete with a combination of speed, explosiveness and burst that is hard to find in a quarterback.

The 6-foot-3, 211-pound junior is a dynamic runner with a slippery running style that makes him nearly impossible to corral in the pocket. He excels on designed runs (QB draws, sweeps and zone-read plays) and is a defensive coordinator's nightmare as an improvisational playmaker. Jackson's average of 6.8 yards per carry this season is nearly a yard better than his average from his Heisman campaign. He has posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons as a runner while scoring 28 rushing touchdowns.

Skeptics worry about his frame, but he is noticeably bigger and thicker than a season ago. That's helped him become a more physical and effective runner on the perimeter.

As a passer, Jackson displays outstanding arm strength and range. He can push the ball down the field as an effective vertical passer on post and go routes. Although he struggles a bit with his ball placement and accuracy on home-run balls due to his shoddy footwork and fundamentals, Jackson has the capacity to strike up the band as a long-ball tosser.

On short and intermediate throws, his struggles with inconsistency are also due to his unpolished mechanics. Jackson misses the mark on outside throws, particularly comebacks and deep outs beyond 12-15 yards. He frequently misses high and wide on those throws, which is largely due to his failure to properly step into his passes.

Jackson is at his best when throwing isolation routes (seams and skinny posts) or simple reads (slants-flats; stick-go and curl-flat). Offensive coordinators will feature those concepts prominently in spread offenses, but NFL coordinators typically opt for full-field reads or pure progression concepts that require the quarterback to tie his eyes to his feet in the pocket. Thus, Jackson still has a ways to go as a passer before convincing traditional play callers that he can fill the role as a high-end QB1.

That doesn't mean that Jackson shouldn't be considered a top prospect at his position. We've seen more NFL teams implement spread systems with simplistic reads if the quarterback flashes exceptional playmaking ability as a dual-threat (see Deshaun WatsonCam Newton and Russell Wilson). With that in mind, it wouldn't surprise me to see a team place a solid grade on Jackson that reflects his potential to be a franchise QB. -- Bucky Brooks

Edited by racketmaster

21 hours ago, dpberr said:

Can't teach attitude and can't teach accuracy.

I don't have the details like some of you guys got but I think spending a lot of capital on a QB who can't complete 60%+ in college or who have reputations for being "brats" isnt ideal.

In the case of <60% completions, it's worth asking "why?"  If it's because the receivers have one of the highest drop % among QB prospects, maybe you take a closer look for yourself.  If they didn't (Allen), you look at what happened when he had time to throw.  If it's because the ball and WR weren't in the same zip code, Pass.

I have no interest in judging anyone on their "media reputation"