Kirk Herbstreit to replace Jon Gruden on ESPN draft coverage

YoloinOhio

It’s a huge upgrade in terms of knowledge of the players and coaching/systems they come from. Kind of seems long overdue. 

I did really enjoy Gruden’s QB camps and interviews before the draft though where he had them draw up plays, etc. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I was just going to post this. It’s that 2% of the fan base. They think he purposely goes too far the other way to prove he’s not a homer. They also absolutely can’t stand the fact that he goes to Nashville Preds games because he’s a huge Jackets fan. 

5 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Literally anyone would be better than Gruden (although I'm happy to hear it's Herbstreit). Thrilled Gruden wont be on TV as much. 

We had some personal exposure through our kids. He’s even worse than you might think, I’d say. 

He was not really beloved in Tampa during his coaching days, either. 

5 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I liked Gruden on Monday nights.  I do like the idea of bringing in some college guys to talk about the prospects as they are drafted.

I prefer Gruden on TV much more than in person or coaching my team. I’ll give you that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

We had some personal exposure through our kids. He’s even worse than you might think, I’d say. 

He was not really beloved in Tampa during his coaching days, either. 

I have a gut feeling he’s going to be a failure in OakVegas. We will see.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have a gut feeling he’s going to be a failure in OakVegas. We will see.

Yep, we shall see. I was shocked he took it, but with his ego I guess he couldn’t resist. He had a sweet deal! It’s not like he needs the money, though that’s A LOT of money! 

My issue with this is Kirk's ability to look for NFL talent. Just cause they are awesome in college doesn't mean it's always gonna translate. Could easily see him tauting Jackson and Mayfield over Darnold and Rosen just cause they we're the best players at his level/sport.

Just now, Kmart128 said:

My issue with this is Kirk's ability to look for NFL talent. Just cause they are awesome in college doesn't mean it's always gonna translate. Could easily see him tauting Jackson and Mayfield over Darnold and Rosen just cause they we're the best players at his level/sport.

I mean, he's replacing Gruden. His whole purpose at the desk is puffing up what the guy did in college so that you feel good about your team's pick. Herbie will be very good at that imo. Riddick is the guy you want to listen to for how they might transition to the pros.

21 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

He isn’t a homer at all. If anything it’s the opposite. He did not leave the set because he wanted them in the playoff. He left dramatically to show how shocked he was they didn’t make it because he thought the committee didn’t have the guts to leave them out. Anyone who paid attention at all to the coverage knew he advocated for  Bama the entire time. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2018 at 8:05 PM, P51 said:

Huge fan of Herbie one of my two favorite announcers of any sport.

Its an interesting transition, I hope he’s as good at it as he is talking about college ball, should be, he’s a class act.

Well, since it is NFL draft coverage, he is still basically talking about college players. I can’t see him transitioning to MNF though.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:37 PM, NickelCity said:

Literally anyone would be better than Gruden (although I'm happy to hear it's Herbstreit). Thrilled Gruden wont be on TV as much at all. 

Fixed.  We won't have to listen to that guy at all unless it's a Raiders press conference.

Herbstreit is excellent; great addition to draft coverage.

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He isn’t a homer at all. If anything it’s the opposite. He did not leave the set because he wanted them in the playoff. He left dramatically to show how shocked he was they didn’t make it because he thought the committee didn’t have the guts to leave them out. Anyone who paid attention at all to the coverage knew he advocated for  Bama the entire time. 

BS. https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/kirk-herbstreit-alabama-doesnt-resume-college-football-playoff-loss-auburn

He's an OSU homer. He predicted that they would win the National Championship, of course.

49 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I mean, he's replacing Gruden. His whole purpose at the desk is puffing up what the guy did in college so that you feel good about your team's pick. Herbie will be very good at that imo. Riddick is the guy you want to listen to for how they might transition to the pros.

Spot on. I agree with you that Riddick is one of the best, if not the best, in evaluating prospects. He is not a showman like Gruden. He is a no frills evaluator who concisely and clearly makes an assessment. He's very good at making pro comparisons to make his point. 

Herbie has really good analysis but he's one of the most biased announcers out there. 

I lost quite a bit of respect for him on his coverage of the 2012 Orange Bowl. He said Clemson would destroy West Virginia. West Virginia ended up crushing Clemson 70-33 and Herbstreit refused to give West Virginia any credit and instead made all kinds of excuses for Clemson. The Big East routinely won BCS bowl games and not once would he give them credit. He really hated that conference for some reason.

21 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

BS. https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/kirk-herbstreit-alabama-doesnt-resume-college-football-playoff-loss-auburn

He's an OSU homer. He predicted that they would win the National Championship, of course.

No, he’s not. I’m sorry that you are taking the Bama blog at face value. His comments came in November when both teams still had games to play. He said they didn’t have the resume if they lost to auburn. No one disputes that about their resume, which is a separate issue from whether they would get in over OSU, who had the resume but two losses one of which kept them out. It was before OSU won the big 10 title game in underwhelming fashion. Had they blown out Wisconsin, maybe they get in. The comments are too old and if you compare them to what he said once the final rankings came out, obviously different. He predicted OSU to win the nc before the season? It’s not like he picked northwestern. People predict them to win every year. Tbh, you are the only one I’ve seen that actually believes he’s a OSU homer and that was the reason he walked off. I actually thought you were kidding at first, sorry. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, he’s not. I’m sorry that you are taking the Bama blog at face value. His comments came in November when both teams still had games to play. He said they didn’t have the resume if they lost to auburn. No one disputes that about their resume, which is a separate issue from whether they would get in over OSU, who had the resume but two losses one of which kept them out. It was before OSU won the big 10 title game in underwhelming fashion. Had they blown out Wisconsin, maybe they get in. The comments are too old and if you compare them to what he said once the final rankings came out, obviously different. Tbh, you are the only one I’ve seen that actually believes he’s a OSU homer and that was the reason he walked off. I actually thought you were kidding at first, sorry. 

"Herbstreit said Alabama “doesn’t have a résumé” if it loses to Auburn in a massive Iron Bowl on Saturday to decide the SEC West. The Crimson Tide enter the game at Auburn with an 11-0 record. The Tigers are No. 6 in the CFP rankings."

Alabama lost to Auburn, and I guess they had a good enough resume, lol. He talks out of both sides of his mouth.

An admitted homer who claims to be objective, but isn't.

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/ohio-state-kirk-herbstreit-football-fan-espn

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

"Herbstreit said Alabama “doesn’t have a résumé” if it loses to Auburn in a massive Iron Bowl on Saturday to decide the SEC West. The Crimson Tide enter the game at Auburn with an 11-0 record. The Tigers are No. 6 in the CFP rankings."

Alabama lost to Auburn, and I guess they had a good enough resume, lol. He talks out of both sides of his mouth.

I am not sure if you don’t pay attention to the cfb weekly rankings but the analysts discuss it on a weekly basis. They didn’t have a good resume after they lost to Auburn. At that time the other teams circumstances were up in the air because Bama’s season was over, but the rest still had to play in their conference championship games. After they played, the final rankings were decided. Bama still didn’t have a good resume, but Herbie and most others felt  They still deserved to get in over OSU because though the Buckeyes  had more good wins on their resume, their losses were too much to forgive. Do you see now? If not I’m not sure how else to explain it. :(

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I am not sure if you don’t pay attention to the cfb weekly rankings but the analysts discuss it on a weekly basis. They didn’t have a good resume after they lost to Auburn. At that time the other teams circumstances were up in the air because Bama’s season was over, but the rest still had to play in their conference championship games. After they played, the final rankings were decided. Bama still didn’t have a good resume, but Herbie and most others felt  They still deserved to get in over OSU because though they had more good wins, their losses were too much to forgive. Do you see now? If not I’m not sure how else to explain it. :(

I'd like to see him explain why an OSU homer said Bama deserves the spot once all the chips were on the table.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am not sure if you don’t pay attention to the cfb weekly rankings but the analysts discuss it on a weekly basis. They didn’t have a good resume after they lost to Auburn. At that time the other teams circumstances were up in the air because Bama’s season was over, but the rest still had to play in their conference championship games. After they played, the final rankings were decided. Bama still didn’t have a good resume, but Herbie and most others felt  They still deserved to get in over OSU because though the Buckeyes  had more good wins on their resume, their losses were too much to forgive. Do you see now? If not I’m not sure how else to explain it. :(

Okay, so Alabama made it to the final 4 even though they had no resume, according to Herby, because OSU had a worse resume? is that the logic here? It makes no sense. What made him flip even though OSU beat WI? How do you go from having no resume to advocating for the top 4?

Edited by Sky Diver

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Okay, so Alabama made it to the final 4 even though they had no resume, according to Herby, because OSU had a worse resume? is that the logic here? It makes no sense. What made him flip even though OSU beat WI? How do you go from having no resume to advocating for the top 4?

Kind of. It was very close but the system is too new when it comes to precedent to know that the committee will do. Until this year, the committee valued “Good wins” more than losses. They also placed a large value on “championships won.” In fact, it is one of the 4 criteria in a tie-breaker situation. It’s what left out the big 12 in 2014 even though both tcu and Baylor they had better  resumes than OSU the big 12 didn’t name a champion, abd that killed their tiebreaker. In 2015, OSU had a great team but one loss that kept them out of the big 10 title (similar to Bama this year) and the committee put in MSU who then got trounced. So the fact that Bama’s best win was against a bad team, and no title, it certainly looked bleak. The problem was... it never came down to tie breaker. There was no tie breaker criteria needed. Why? OSU didn’t look good enough against Wisconsin, even in a win, to overcome the Iowa loss. The committee couldn’t justify that outcome/score. And even though they wouldn’t admit it, they watched OSU with the same QB get killled in the playoff the year prior. Bama got the spot fair and square (imo). If it’s a Buckeye blowout vs Wisconsin I think the tiebreaker comes into play. None of that changes how in November looking at Bama’s resume, in a vacuum, based on the committee’s previous selections, didn’t appear good enough on its own. 

31 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Don't get how Alabama didn't have good wins. They beat FSU (#2 at the time), LSU, Mississippi State, and Texas A&M. They had at least as many good wins as OSU and they didn't get blown out by an unranked team. Alabama was a no-brainer.

The analysts didn’t consider Bama’s resume to be strong because their signature wins were #17 LSU, #23 Miss St, #25 Fresno St who lost to Boise. FSU was way overranked at #2 in preseason as they barely managed to win 6 games in the end. Yes, they lost their QB early but so did UGA. These programs have 5 Star qBs lining the bench and should have been able to have a better year than they did regardless of which top recruit was behind center. FSU  was a bad team this year with or without Francois.

if you compare it to osu’s resume, they had wins over #4 Wisconsin, #9 penn state and #16 MSU. Plus a conference championship.

Your reference to not having that type of loss is irrespective of the question about the wins, and something i repeatedly referenced is a major reason Ohio State didn’t get in. 

Herbie said the selection could come down to the “most deserving” or the “better” team and he was right. He thought Bama was better, and so did the committee. The eye test won, and so did Bama. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

FSU was #2 when Alabama beat them. It wasn't their fault FSU nose dived when they lost their star QB. Wisconsin was way overrated. How is a team with "no resume" deserving? The walking off the set explanation doesn't make any sense.

He needs to think before he open his mouth.

16 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

FSU was #2 when Alabama beat them. It wasn't their fault FSU nose dived when they lost their star QB. Wisconsin was way overrated. How is a team with "no resume" deserving? The walking off the set explanation doesn't make any sense.

He needs to think before he open his mouth.

FSU was preseason #2. Meaning before they ever played a game. Preseason rankings mean nothing. There was no nosedive. They were a bad team. When you perform like that over the course of a season it’s more than just the QB. There are countless examples of teams losing a starting Qb and recovering including OSU had UGA recently. Of course it’s not Bama’s “fault” - no one said it was. It certainly didn’t keep them out, right? I think the committee ended up giving them more credit for that win than the analysts did. 

Herbie felt they were the “better” team and therefore get the bid even though the resume wasn’t the “most deserving”.  Not the other way around. 

The only thing that wouldn’t make sense with hm walking off set with OSU getting left out is if he did it because he wanted them in it... after hours of saying he advocated for Bama getting in. He’s the furthest thing from an OSU homer, quite the opposite. The O-zone forum would be rolling if they heard anyone thought that. 

Something you may be missing is that I’m an OSU fan but I’m not an OSU homer. I watch a ton of cfb and I’m not someone who advocated for OSU to get in. I mean, i guess i hoped they did (well, sort of, since 2016 was such a blast ?) but I didn’t think they should and was not surprised when they didn’t. So I’m not coming at it from the perspective you may think I am. 

Edited by YoloinOhio