PFF 2018 Free Agency Preview: Buffalo Bills

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I wouldn't sign Jarvis Landry with someone else's money.

He's going to want the big-time money after leading the NFL in receptions, and I'm sorry, but a guy that catches 6-yard passes all game simply isn't worth that.

If we keep Tyrod, that's the exact type of WR he needs

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not sure McDermott would want someone as volatile as Landry. I'm also not sure if he could actually handle him, if he signed for us.

I don't think you can genuinely speculate about possible FAs on the offense, until we have an idea as to where we are going at QB. Although perhaps you could do something on the O-Line, assuming a decision will have been made as to what blocking system we will be using. But without being privy to that decision, it's a bit tricky to speculate which guys would suit best.

On D, our best bet would be to try and sign Gaines, then pick up either a decent DT, LB, or DE. Backfill the other couple of spots with the draft. You can probably use the same sort of 'formula', for any two from 4 positions on the D, including CB, it's simply that signing Gaines makes life an awful lot easier, due to him having proven himself there for us last season.

Edited by Buddo
typo

36 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

I think Landry has alot of talent and would be a definite upgrade for the Bills a WR.  That said, he's a tough sell because of what he did to Aaron Williams.  I think Bills fans would roast him so for me, he's a pass.

AW publicly forgave him, and said Landry apologized to him and seemed genuinely concerned.

If AW can forgive him, Bills fans should get over it.

Having said that, I think he's a diva and a dbag (even if you remove the AW incident) and doesn't fit the "character" profile that MCD requires.

I think it will be tough to field a competent WR core with strict character rules though. A lot of great, even average, WRs are jagoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I wouldn't sign Jarvis Landry with someone else's money.

He's going to want the big-time money after leading the NFL in receptions, and I'm sorry, but a guy that catches 6-yard passes all game simply isn't worth that.

He has a 10.1 per reception career average. I think he catches alot of balls that aren't 6 yards. Prior to last year with Cutler he had a 12.1 per reception

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They have Jarvis Landry as a WR target.   No thanks.

I can't see this. He is the dirtiest player in the NFL and McD values character. How will the locker room take to the guy that deliberately reinjured Aaron Williams' spine, ending his career?

33 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I would think DL should be added to the list of biggest needs, but anyway. I think they can do a little better than Jarvis Landry myself.

Who else is out there that you'd consider better? Are you expecting someone else to shake loose or do you think we should target a WR on day 1 of the draft? Just curious.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah WHOEVER they get at QB they need a legit deep threat to keep the safeties out of the box.

I think this was painfully obvious. I'm not saying bring Sammy back, but someone like him with blazing speed that other teams have to account for on every play. We need that speed merchant that will make KB the new #2.

11 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I can't see this. He is the dirtiest player in the NFL and McD values character. How will the locker room take to the guy that deliberately reinjured Aaron Williams' spine, ending his career?

Who else is out there that you'd consider better? Are you expecting someone else to shake loose or do you think we should target a WR on day 1 of the draft? Just curious.

Don't really know yet, I'm just not big on him myself (not that the Bills FO isnt), but I wouldn't just jump on to try and grab him right away. Still a lot of time to see who else may become available or draft that may be better.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

49 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

He has a 10.1 per reception career average. I think he catches alot of balls that aren't 6 yards. Prior to last year with Cutler he had a 12.1 per reception

His efficiency numbers are brutal. He needs an outlandish number of targets to hit 1,000 yards.

Case-in-point: he ranked 88th in the NFL in yards per target 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jarvis-landry/

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Landry is an a-hole but the kind of a-hole you want on your side.  

Not me. I don’t care how good he is, there is no place for the consummate AHole he is on my team. 

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1000 yards on 1000 catches. That's darned impressive. 

lol thats false too. I get it you dont like him but he would be the best WR on the Bills if signed.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Sammy got there in 2015 in just 13 games

is Sammy still here? Im talking active roster here

Edited by Starr Almighty

Just now, Starr Almighty said:

is Sammy still here? Im talking active roster here

lol thats false too. I get it you dont like him but he would be the best WR on the Bills if signed.

Just a little hyperbole, but you get my point that the Bills need an outside WR who fills the role of a downfield threat.  Landry doesn't provide that as an overpriced slot receiver with a bad attitude to boot. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Just a little hyperbole, but you get my point that the Bills need an outside WR who fills the role of a downfield threat.  Landry doesn't provide that as an overpriced slot receiver with a bad attitude to boot. 

I think we actually need both. Hes a great possession guy BUT I too worry about his attitude.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Nope, just giving you the last time it happened. Didn't even take a full season, or 100 catches! (it was 95 I think)

oh 5 catches less??? I'll throw in the towel Landry stinks lol <<<I saw your new post 60 catches is a huge difference.

Since we are talking Sammy care to compare 2017 #s Landry Vs. Sammy ;)

Edited by Starr Almighty

1 hour ago, Starr Almighty said:

Which Bills receiver had 1000 yards? Let alone 100 catches 

You're missing the point in spectacular fashion.

The guy puts up high reception totals because he gets a sick number of targets.

His per-target production is far, far below the elite WRs like Julio/Antonio/Hopkins, but he's going to want the same type of money.

That's absurd IMO.

Get it now?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They have Jarvis Landry as a WR target.   No thanks.

The reasoning behind the Landry is solid as five us a great slot option yet to me the Bills better suited as using their money at DT/LB and a slot KR/PR and feel Bruce Ellington be a perfect match.

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

You're missing the point in spectacular fashion.

The guy puts up high reception totals because he gets a sick number of targets.

His per-target production is far, far below the elite WRs like Julio/Antonio/Hopkins, but he's going to want the same type of money.

That's absurd IMO.

Get it now?

I get it you don't want to pay him. What I am saying is if he were on our roster he would be the best WR on the team instantly. Do you know why they throw it to him so much? Because he's open. He lacks the speed of the guys you are comparing him to, that's the only true difference.

8 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

I get it you don't want to pay him. What I am saying is if he were on our roster he would be the best WR on the team instantly. Do you know why they throw it to him so much? Because he's open. He lacks the speed of the guys you are comparing him to, that's the only true difference.

Well, he's productive in terms of receptions, but again, production is a direct function of targets, whereas targets aren't directly related to separation achieved (insofar as it's tracked by NextGenStats).

As to what Landry lacks, he hasn't the size, speed, or contested catch ability of the top guys.

Don't get me wrong, he's a nice player. If I'm a team that's spending WR1 $$ in FA, I'm looking for more.