What trips do you have planed fo this year

mead107

4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

London for a Premier League match in late April (Spurs and Watford in Wembley). We plan on visiting Wimbledon as well. Heavy pub action will ensue.

Same guy and I are driving out to Montana from Ohio for 10 days near Labor Day. I love the Mountain time zone.

Almost went to Wimbledon last year, but my buddy had a business conflict. We were invited to stay at some friends who have a place in London this spring/summer. Long shot that it happens, but a guy can dream. 

It reminds me of the old game, if you could pick three sporting events to attend..... Sure, a Final Four or Super Bowl is great, but I’m all in of the French Open, Wimbledon, Australian Open, etc. More travel than sport, but technically within the lines.  :)

4 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Cook Islands (Rarotonga) again this winter.

Very cool. We honeymooned in FP and going back next year for our 10th anniversary. Going big, probably 4 islands. I don’t think we’ll get to the Cook Islands this time but Rarotonga has definitely grabbed my attention before.

We had a trip planned for NO, Austin, and then Vegas that should have been occurring at this moment, but the dog relapsed and needs chemo again, so we canceled (road trip, he was coming with us). If all goes well with him, we travel nowhere this year.  When he passes (he's already lived 20% longer than prognosis... he'll be in some studies going forward), I have a good dozen trips I want to take.

The top five are:

1) Australia and New Zealand (this is the biggies)
2) Panama Canal (may do this as part of a 60 day SA cruise that also has Antartica as a stop)
3) Nordic Fjords (want to do Alaska again, but Norway first)
4) Eastern Europe (have not been since was a kid, and would like to go back)
5) Wintering in Italy (instead of Florida)

So, my travel itinerary depends on a dog.  ? ?

3 hours ago, section122 said:

Disney.  In August :bag:

My condolences :) 

Just kidding, World or Land?

If it's World and you're not a Disney regular, understand that you might need to plan some stuff well in advance.  I'm not a Disney regular and have suffered a few times as a result, including a few weeks ago.  

Late April heading to Dallas/Arlington for the NFL Draft.

If John Williams has another concert at the Hollywood Bowl during Labor Day, I will be there.

Sometime in September or October, going to Buffalo for the first time and attend my first ever Bills home game. I will need all the recommendations from everyone here on what to do and where to go. I'll be at Hammer's Lot for the Pinto tailgate.

18 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

London for a Premier League match in late April (Spurs and Watford in Wembley). We plan on visiting Wimbledon as well. Heavy pub action will ensue.

Same guy and I are driving out to Montana from Ohio for 10 days near Labor Day. I love the Mountain time zone.

You will have a blast at the match..sounds awesome! Don't let that Montana trip interfere with the home opener!

15 hours ago, section122 said:

Disney.  In August :bag:

That is really not a bad time to go, we have done it in August as well. Lots of southern schools like Georgia and Texas start early August.  Think we used this site last time to help plan, well worth the $15 or whatever. https://touringplans.com/

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We had a trip planned for NO, Austin, and then Vegas that should have been occurring at this moment, but the dog relapsed and needs chemo again, so we canceled (road trip, he was coming with us). If all goes well with him, we travel nowhere this year.  When he passes (he's already lived 20% longer than prognosis... he'll be in some studies going forward), I have a good dozen trips I want to take.

The top five are:

2) Panama Canal (may do this as part of a 60 day SA cruise that also has Antartica as a stop)
3) Nordic Fjords (want to do Alaska again, but Norway first)
4) Eastern Europe (have not been since was a kid, and would like to go back)
5) Wintering in Italy (instead of Florida)

So, my travel itinerary depends on a dog.  ? ?

Sorry bout the dog, but sounds like your travel depends more on a rather large wallet. We did parts of Eastern Europe on our honeymmon in the mid 90's, be interesting to go back and see all the changes. Budapest back then still covered in soot

1 hour ago, eball said:

Italy in late May/early June.  Been on our list forever, finally planned it.  Rome/Florence/Venice.  Can't wait.

Awesome dude. Have a great time! But how did you plan this knowing the Sabes might be in the cup final?

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sorry bout the dog, but sounds like your travel depends more on a rather large wallet. We did parts of Eastern Europe on our honeymmon in the mid 90's, be interesting to go back and see all the changes. Budapest back then still covered in soot

My son was in Budapest last January. He said it was fantastic! And from the photos he shared, it sure looked it.

Taking the family to Scotland this summer. 

My consolation is I get to play a course on my bucket list, Royal Dornoch (I've played the Old Course and Carnoustie before). It's going to be an expensive round when all is said and done...

• Like (+1) 1

We recently got back from the Baja Peninsula. Couple of days in laid back Todos Santos, Dinner at Hotel California, artsy, surfing, trail riding in the desert, 1 pickup police patrols. A week in Cabo San Lucas, great fishing, Music at Cabo Wabo, tourist trapy unless you know where to go, always haggle, 2 pickups in police patrols. 3 days in Jose Cabo. Breakfast at Tropicana, village square being remodeled, might have had tainted alcohol at a bar, nice surf, 3 pickups in police patrols with 50 caliber machine gun on at least one. Drug war, safe for tourist unless caught in crossfire. Murder rate double of Detroit. Um I think next VaKa St. Martinique or Hawaii or Dollywood.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hammered a Lot said:

We recently got back from the Baja Peninsula. Couple of days in laid back Todos Santos, Dinner at Hotel California, artsy, surfing, trail riding in the desert, 1 pickup police patrols. A week in Cabo San Lucas, great fishing, Music at Cabo Wabo, tourist trapy unless you know where to go, always haggle, 2 pickups in police patrols. 3 days in Jose Cabo. Breakfast at Tropicana, village square being remodeled, might have had tainted alcohol at a bar, nice surf, 3 pickups in police patrols with 50 caliber machine gun on at least one. Drug war, safe for tourist unless caught in crossfire. Murder rate double of Detroit. Um I think next VaKa St. Martinique or Hawaii or Dollywood.

So you're saying parking fees are going up?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

My condolences :) 

Just kidding, World or Land?

If it's World and you're not a Disney regular, understand that you might need to plan some stuff well in advance.  I'm not a Disney regular and have suffered a few times as a result, including a few weeks ago.  

Disney World.  We will have dates finalized by the end of this month then planning begins.  My daughter loves to dress up as different Disney Princesses so there will be at least one meal with them that I heard needs to be booked well in advance.  Going with extended family and they are all planners.  They are already anxious dates and itinerary aren't planned lol.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m so sorry..... 

Get the fast pass, and hydrate! 

Absolutely!  For a few bucks I can't skip fast pass so I don't have to stand in that heat any longer than necessary!

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

haha ball soup

Oh man so much baby powder going with me on this trip.  I've already started dieting so I'm not fat and hairy lol.  I might even shave my beard for this trip!!!  I'm the only guy rooting for overcast weather for their vacation :lol:

7 minutes ago, section122 said:

Oh man so much baby powder going with me on this trip.  I've already started dieting so I'm not fat and hairy lol.  I might even shave my beard for this trip!!!  I'm the only guy rooting for overcast weather for their vacation :lol:

Gold bond spray, you're welcome.

40 minutes ago, section122 said:

Disney World.  We will have dates finalized by the end of this month then planning begins.  My daughter loves to dress up as different Disney Princesses so there will be at least one meal with them that I heard needs to be booked well in advance.  Going with extended family and they are all planners.  They are already anxious dates and itinerary aren't planned lol.

Absolutely!  For a few bucks I can't skip fast pass so I don't have to stand in that heat any longer than necessary!

We took the kids to breakfast with the characters once. At the table next to us a little kid totally freaked out when the characters come in. Dove under the table and started shrieking! Would NOT come out, stayed hiding behind the table cloth the entire time. There was nothing the parents could do to get this kid out. Hysterical

It’s not really much of a trip, but I’m REALLY looking forward to it so I’ll mention heading to Nashville for some March Madness fun! That should be GREAT! 

On 2/7/2018 at 10:57 PM, DC Tom said:

So far I've tripped down the stairs, and tripped on a door mat.  

I hope I'm done.

i can't remember it but wasn't some drug able to be taken that would enable you to take a trip while never having to leave the farm? maybe i'm just hallucinating.

seriously though, i will be sponsoring and hosting a crypto conference in the state of Washington in the latter portion of Summer.

Edited by Foxx

9 hours ago, eball said:

Italy in late May/early June.  Been on our list forever, finally planned it.  Rome/Florence/Venice.  Can't wait.

I don't know what your travel plans are as far as how you are going to work your way through the country however if time allows I would suggest between Florence and Rome you hit a few villages that are up in the mountains.  Just incredible scenery.  San Gimignano (or Sam Jimmy Valvano which I thought was hysterical after too much red wine) is incredible.  It's a medieval pissing contest where families built a tower to be taller than the tallest and kept going.  It's on a mountain and offers incredible views in all directions.  Really I can't say enough about the Tuscan region in general.

Rome and specifically the Coliseum also were incredible.  Sitting in the stands you can feel the history.  The first time I went I was about 18 and it struck me that all of the history in America is a couple of hundred years.  Liberty Bell, Statue of Liberty etc were really old to me at the time.  Seeing the coliseum and thinking about the gladiators and ship battles and all of the history involved was life changing as corny as that sounds. 

I've been 4 times and go somewhere new/discover something new each time.  Unfortunately I haven't made it far enough North to get to Venice but that will happen next trip next May.  I hope you make it back eventually as Pompeii is also a must visit.  I wrote so many school book reports on it then got to stand in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just been informed (by wife) that we are going to Sestri Levante, Italy. For 10-12 days apparently early August. I guess I have to go.:D Her family is from there.  A second trip to Buffalo for a Bills game yet to be determined. Sometime in September or early October. Weather gets a little to sketchy for me after that. Hopefully we can meet up with TBD freinds again!

• Like (+1) 1

Couple ski weekends in Ellicottville coming up then pretty quiet for a bit. May try and squeeze one short ski trip out to Colorado with a buddy at the end of the season. Have a Bach party in the summer and definitely doing the Bills game in Green Bay as long as it’s not Xmas. Week in Disney in November when my wife and I run our annual 1/2 marathon. Would like to do a week somewhere on the east coast this summer but she’s real busy with work and not sure if we’ll be able to. 

I have a sister in Wisconsin who likes to remind me I haven’t been to visit in 23 years. My parents lived near us, so we saw plenty of each other, always on her dime. I’ll be waiting for the schedule to come out looking for that Packers game. It’s a win/win for me. 

13 hours ago, section122 said:

I don't know what your travel plans are as far as how you are going to work your way through the country however if time allows I would suggest between Florence and Rome you hit a few villages that are up in the mountains.  Just incredible scenery.  San Gimignano (or Sam Jimmy Valvano which I thought was hysterical after too much red wine) is incredible.  It's a medieval pissing contest where families built a tower to be taller than the tallest and kept going.  It's on a mountain and offers incredible views in all directions.  Really I can't say enough about the Tuscan region in general.

Rome and specifically the Coliseum also were incredible.  Sitting in the stands you can feel the history.  The first time I went I was about 18 and it struck me that all of the history in America is a couple of hundred years.  Liberty Bell, Statue of Liberty etc were really old to me at the time.  Seeing the coliseum and thinking about the gladiators and ship battles and all of the history involved was life changing as corny as that sounds. 

I've been 4 times and go somewhere new/discover something new each time.  Unfortunately I haven't made it far enough North to get to Venice but that will happen next trip next May.  I hope you make it back eventually as Pompeii is also a must visit.  I wrote so many school book reports on it then got to stand in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius.  

Awesome stuff, thanks.  We're starting out in Rome, then Florence, and finishing in Venice -- taking the train between cities.  Not renting a car but we also aren't "planning" a lot of stuff -- when we travel we like to figure it out as we go unless there's something we just can't miss, and we tend to avoid the "touristy" stuff but the coliseum is a must.  Will definitely take your suggestions into consideration.  I plan on being buzzed on red wine for the majority of the trip.

E, know you will get killed with advice, but we stumbled upon this race and festival visiting Siena as a day trip from Florence. Had no idea it was going on the day we went. Be like showing up in New Orleans on Fat Tuesday ...just awesome. So if you in Florence one of the two dates, I would highly recommend. BTW, we just took the bus between cities, think it was maybe an hour each way??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palio_di_Siena

Not a great vacation year for us.  We have to head back to WNY end of July for my niece's wedding so that uses up a good chunk of the wife's vacation time seeing she just started her job this past June.  We're working on a way to make it worth our while.  Maybe heading to the Caribbean or a real nice place in the Virgin Islands or maybe somewhere near the Culinary Institute where we met over 35 years ago and have never been back to.  It's our 35th wedding anniversary this year so I guess we should do something.  LOL

On 2/9/2018 at 6:54 AM, eball said:

Go to the Vatican. It is well worth the day there. I am not religious, and not an art connoisseur and yet I was very happy we went. The tour guide we hired - don't try and do it alone, we were in a party of six -  helps you with getting in the place (it is a madhouse at the entrance) as well as the explanations of the religious artwork. Not only would we have been lost without the guide (big place) we would never have seen as much nor gotten as much out of the art and artifacts without our competent guide. There is so much to see - truly an amazing place to visit.

I hope you have a fantastic trip! I can't wait to get back to Italy. :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Go to the Vatican. It is well worth the day there. I am not religious, and not an art connoisseur and yet I was very happy we went. The tour guide we hired - don't try and do it alone, we were in a party of six -  helps you with getting in the place (it is a madhouse at the entrance) as well as the explanations of the religious artwork. Not only would we have been lost without the guide (big place) we would never have seen as much nor gotten as much out of the art and artifacts without our competent guide. There is so much to see - truly an amazing place to visit.

I hope you have a fantastic trip! I can't wait to get back to Italy. :)

I thought the Vatican was a complete waste of time. Know I am in the minority, and not saying right or wrong , just did not enjoy it. And we had a private guide as well. 

Just got back from the Big Island on Monday, nine day trip.  Nice to escape the rain here in the Pacific Northwest.

Probably planning a European trip sometime for the fall.  Otherwise we just have a trip or two in the area, maybe to the Willamette Valley for wine.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:56 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Did this about 11 years ago this month, as a cruise on Princess...

https://www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do?trade=Z&subTrade=ZNZ&resType=C

Scroll down to the 12 Day/6 Port, Australia & New Zealand cruise. It was just long enough I feel and gave us a taste of what to do if I ever go back. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Not a great vacation year for us.  We have to head back to WNY end of July for my niece's wedding so that uses up a good chunk of the wife's vacation time seeing she just started her job this past June.  We're working on a way to make it worth our while.  Maybe heading to the Caribbean or a real nice place in the Virgin Islands or maybe somewhere near the Culinary Institute where we met over 35 years ago and have never been back to.  It's our 35th wedding anniversary this year so I guess we should do something.  LOL

Bills Training Camp usually starts in late July. 

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:59 AM, joesixpack said:

My girl and I are also going to Maine. Portland.

Any suggestions on what to do around there greatly appreciated.

Drive up to Freeport and see the LL Bean Store. Then drive a little further north to Bangor and see the Duck Of Justice at the police station. 

47 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Did this about 11 years ago this month, as a cruise on Princess...

https://www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do?trade=Z&subTrade=ZNZ&resType=C

Scroll down to the 12 Day/6 Port, Australia & New Zealand cruise. It was just long enough I feel and gave us a taste of what to do if I ever go back.

We think for New Zealand at least, this is the way to go (a cruise). Thanks!