Cousins to Denver?

10 minutes ago, davspo said:

That would mean that Cleveland, the Jets and the Cardinals are the only teams that are definite to select a qb before the Bills.  The Giants may or may not.  Bills could move up to the 10 to 14 range without leveraging the future.  

Don't rule out teams like Miami, Chargers and Bengals though.

1 hour ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Early birds get the worms, McBeane still recovering from Eric Wood fiasco.

Or he really meant it when he said we're building through the draft so don't expect any big FA signings.

1 hour ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Early birds get the worms, McBeane still recovering from Eric Wood fiasco.

Or he really meant it when he said we're building through the draft so don't expect any big FA signings.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think it's possible that Cousins' agent was given permission to talk to other teams, and that he has the framework of a deal with Denver in place.  I also think it's possible that Denver and Washington--knowing that--agreed upon compensation.

Likely?  Meh, not sure.

Nope.  The transition tag only mandates the level of compensation if a player signs an offer sheet with a new team.  Once Cousins signs the transition tender, he is under contract and can be traded for any agreed-upon compensation.

So from Washington's standpoint what is the reason to do this now versus seeing if anybody offers better?  Cousins is in stasis until March unless he sign's with a Euro league or the XFL

Damn. 

Our QB upgrade options are quickly disappearing. Smith, Cousins, McCarren... 

I am starting to be more and more on board with a trade up for Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold. I am not seeing many options left for an upgrade at QB. But I really don't know that Beane will be willing to give up how draft to move way up for a QB, especially sitting at #21.

It is starting to look like a lot of people (including myself) may be disappointed at what the Bills roll out at QB next season. Unfortunately, this may not be a problem that the Bills can solve this year. But there is still a lot of time, so I'm not giving up hope yet by any means. 

We are just going to have to draft our long term solution. Buffalo is not a destination and probably never will be (unless we somehow turn into a true perennial super bowl contender) 

Edited by BillsFan4

Just now, RochesterRob said:

So from Washington's standpoint what is the reason to do this now versus seeing if anybody offers better?  Cousins is in stasis until March unless he sign's with a Euro league or the XFL

Not sure...could be a number of things...

Maybe Cousins' agent shopped around and--of the teams he'd be happy to go to--Denver offered the most in compensation.

Maybe the feedback from Cousins' agent is that teams would rather take their chances that they can sign him on the open market, and Washington decided they'd rather get something for him before he walks.

Again, this is all speculation.  All I was speaking to is that the mechanics of a trade are fairly straightforward: give agent permission, agent gets deal framework, GMs speak and agree to compensation, Cousins gets the transition tag prior to March 14, Cousins signs the tag, teams submit paperwork for trade, Cousins officially signs extension once traded.

Well, if all this is true then I guess we can stop with all the Cousins and Alex Smith talk on here. 

Bring on Bradford talk, it'll be great watching him play in 5 games before he gets hurt.

As far as it "happening already" - that's not quite possible/above board.

As far as agents and teams talking in principle about a signing, that would not shock me.  And the charade can go on 'til March...

Only way a trade could happen is if the Redskins do a tag again - which would allow other teams to sign him, but they'd lose picks...

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cousins and Denver agree to a long-term deal.  Washington and Denver agree to trade compensation. Washington signs him to the deal he worked out with Denver and trades him to Denver. 

The question is why does Cousins agree to a long-term deal? This stifles his ability to test the water with others and drive up his price. Washington lost leverage when the news broke that they have a trade in place for Alex Smith, so I dunno why he would agree to this. 

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I am not sure I believe this.  The league does not allow trades until the new year starts and Kirk Cousins at that point woul not be under contract.

Alex Smith can happen because he still had a year left on his contract, but there are rules for guys that have been franchised.

Unless there is a window that Washington could sign him before the start of the new year and then trade him afterwards - this seems phony.

Even then there would be potential salary cap implications unless the contract is written specifically to prevent that with the trade - such as base pay to start the year - signing bonus after the trade.

1 minute ago, MDFan said:

I think I will ignore this rumor until someone more credible than Cowherd is reporting it.  Does not make sense from many perspectives.  

Schefter was on his weekly spot on local station today and while he didn’t report this, he did say he believed Washington was likely open to his agent talking to other teams for awhile now

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Super Bowl 52 week headlines!

ALEX SMITH TRADED!

COUSINS TO DENVER!

it's also super bowl 52 week...

I can't remember a SB with less juice than this one.  Maybe SF-SD, but at least that had Young storyline.

23 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am not sure I believe this.  The league does not allow trades until the new year starts and Kirk Cousins at that point woul not be under contract.

Alex Smith can happen because he still had a year left on his contract, but there are rules for guys that have been franchised.

Unless there is a window that Washington could sign him before the start of the new year and then trade him afterwards - this seems phony.

Even then there would be potential salary cap implications unless the contract is written specifically to prevent that with the trade - such as base pay to start the year - signing bonus after the trade.

....only possible thing I can think of is that all 2017 player agreements do not expire until March 14.......so even though Cousins is a UFA, technically his 2017 tag deal does not expire until March 14  (I think).....I'm guessing the Smith tariff was too tall for Beane as well as extension duration so Cousins is out who gets more money and probably 5 years.....Beane and McD are committed to building through the draft so their bridge vet is probably a 2 year scenario to groom the new 1st round QB and Peterman.....guys like McCown and Stanton are probably on their radar for openers.....also guessing that Rudolph is their pick at 21/22, preserving draft capital versus moving up....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy