Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

Just now, mikemac2001 said:

So they traded alex smith and 2019 3rd for 

fuller and 2018 3rd 

seems like a better deal then I first thought

Where are you getting that KC gave up a 2019 3rd?  The projection is that Washington gains a 2019 3rd as a comp pick when Cousins departs via UFA. 

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I overall think your opinion of what McDermott's thinking is way off.

My proof is you saying that McDermott is satisfied with the points we were scoring even though he stated specifically that was a concern.

Then you stated you believe Taylor is running the offense how McDermott wants it to be ran but then he was benched.

We've talked this to death and I've given my explanation many, many times.

You disagree... fair enough.

We'll find out soon enough.

But I think you're confusing my past statement of "Taylor running the offense the way McDermott wants" with "McDermott was happy with our offense."

Edited by transplantbillsfan

10 minutes ago, CritMark said:

I don't think they could if they wanted to.  They only have $36MM in cap space before the Smith deal.  The transition tag will cost them $34MM.  If nobody wanted to take that contract at $34MM, the Skins would need to gut their team and knowing it would be a fire sale, they would get 75 cents on the dollar if they were lucky.   The Skins would need to pick up the remainder of a lot of contacts to make up the difference.  It would take a pair of brass balls to try that or the stupidest owner in the NFL.  I guess Snyder may qualify for one of those descriptions.

Agreed. I think the Redskins would need to have a deal in place to do this.

Would a team be willing to make a deal and take Cousins at 34MM with exclusive negotiating rights?

10 minutes ago, bdutton said:

I did.  Go back and check.

Where? You said Cousins "QB rating" (are you talking about passer rating or QBR?) Is not much higher than Tyrod's, which is wrong either way if you're talking about the 3 year period where they've been starters.

25 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

cousins had the 15th best season for yards in nfl history two years ago...but ok he's middle of the pack. 

Thats right, a mere 200 more yards than a 2004 Daunte Culpepper who was definitely a middle of the pack type QB. 

He was prolific leading his team to 8-7-1 with no post season that year and is so darn good the skins are opting for Alex Smith now. 

I continue wholeheartedly hoping the bills avoid a bidding war for Matt Hasselbeck 2.0

4 minutes ago, bdutton said:

Cousin's market value is largely because of hype.  Tylor's value is lower due to opposite hype.  If you step back and look at the numbers, Tyrod has been consistently in the midle of the pack as a starter.  Cousins cna put up bigger yardage but doesn't change his overall standing as a middle of the pack QB who's been overhyped.

I disagree with Tyrod's numbers have been middle of the pack.  With Taylor, we don't move the ball in the air with any consistency.  I believe 29th is the highest he's finished in passing with 3 different offensive coordinators.

Since 2015, 

Cousins has a total of 94 TD's with rushing and passing.

Taylor has a total of 66 TD's with rushing and passing.

Total yardage rushing and passing

Cousins 14,000 +

Taylor 10,600

I think Taylor has been the one overhyped.  Signed a $92 million dollar contract only to have it slashed 8 months later.  Has that ever happened?

Beane and McDermott wants someone who can throw from the pocket.  They've said it more than once.  Taylor is among the worst in the NFL inside the pocket.

McDermott benched Taylor while holding the 6th seed in the playoffs and for a 5th round rookie....that tells you everything what he thinks of him.

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We've talked this to death and I've given my explanation many, many times.

You disagree... fair enough.

But I think you're confusing my past statement of "Taylor running the offense the way McDermott wants" with "McDermott was happy with our offense."

Your explanation doesn't make any sense because it's directly a conflicting statement from McDermott's.

I'm not confusing anything.  You're trying to find any nook where it's pro Taylor.  You think emotionally and not logically when it comes to Taylor.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's the Franchise Tag cost IIRC. 

I stand correct.  In researching it more, the Transition tag would be just under $29MM.  The premise still holds however.  That plus the Smith deal puts them WAY over the cap.  Why would a team bite on a one year rental at $29MM?  I call him a rental because Cousins has not agreed to a long term deal in the past two seasons and clearly wasn't this year or the Skins don't deal for Smith.  

Also, the $29MM puts him out of reach for a few destinations he might prefer.  It's more than the Broncos have, just a few million short of what the Bills have.  That puts Cousins choices at very few, reducing his negotiating position for that long term deal.  

If you want to get even more granular, look at the expected cap hit to sign this years draft class.  It is projected to cost the Bills $8.4MM to sign thier draft picks (source: https://overthecap.com/draft/) so if you subtract that from the current available Bills cap space, they would not have the cap space to take Cousins at $29MM.  

Bottom line is trying to gamble on the Transition Tag for Cousins with the Smith deal could blow up the Skins for a decade.

1 minute ago, CritMark said:

I stand correct.  In researching it more, the Transition tag would be just under $29MM.  The premise still holds however.  That plus the Smith deal puts them WAY over the cap.  Why would a team bite on a one year rental at $29MM?  I call him a rental because Cousins has not agreed to a long term deal in the past two seasons and clearly wasn't this year or the Skins don't deal for Smith.  

Also, the $29MM puts him out of reach for a few destinations he might prefer.  It's more than the Broncos have, just a few million short of what the Bills have.  That puts Cousins choices at very few, reducing his negotiating position for that long term deal.  

If you want to get even more granular, look at the expected cap hit to sign this years draft class.  It is projected to cost the Bills $8.4MM to sign thier draft picks (source: https://overthecap.com/draft/) so if you subtract that from the current available Bills cap space, they would not have the cap space to take Cousins at $29MM.  

Bottom line is trying to gamble on the Transition Tag for Cousins with the Smith deal could blow up the Skins for a decade.

Bottom Line: He's headed to UFA.

34 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Why would they use the Transition tag? Transition tag means they have the right of first refusal but they get no compensation if they dont match. 

You are correct. It would have to be a franchise tag.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yeah that seems to be fairly clear.  I didn't even add to my calculations the $7MM it is going to cost Washington to sign there draft class. 

Cousins will walk and the Skins will get little compensation.  Someone should write a book on how to mismanage a starting caliber NFL QB contract.  Text book bad job.

Just now, CritMark said:

Yeah that seems to be fairly clear.  I didn't even add to my calculations the $7MM it is going to cost Washington to sign there draft class. 

Cousins will walk and the Skins will get little compensation.  Someone should write a book on how to mismanage a starting caliber NFL QB contract.  Text book bad job.

Fine work from lil danny and BA yet again. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes, I now understand why a tag and trade is highly unlikely - but it may be the only way a team like the Bills could get a legitimate shot at Cousins.

25 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Thats right, a mere 200 more yards than a 2004 Daunte Culpepper who was definitely a middle of the pack type QB. 

He was prolific leading his team to 8-7-1 with no post season that year and is so darn good the skins are opting for Alex Smith now. 

I continue wholeheartedly hoping the bills avoid a bidding war for Matt Hasselbeck 2.0

dear god

19 minutes ago, CritMark said:

Cousins said he'd never sign a long-term deal with the Skins as long as Bruce Allen was GM. 

5 minutes ago, CritMark said:

They'll get a third round comp pick with the deal he's going to sign. 

Well cousins has said that he is looking to go to a winner over money, so he may come "cheaper" then many think. The problem in Washington, aside from them having Snider running the circus, is that they didn't want to lock him up long term. I would bet that many would be surprised to see him sign at a lower rate to get a long term deal especially if it's with a winning team. Broncos would be the team I can see getting him a a surprisingly affordable long term deal. Bills or Cardinals would be next with a possibility of the Jets if they can convince him they are about to turn things around with him. Browns will try bit I don't think he goes there if he is t being grossly overpaid

Just now, Doc said:

Cousins said he'd never sign a long-term deal with the Skins as long as Bruce Allen was GM. 

They'll get a third round comp pick with the deal he's going to sign. 

Your first point probably raises his value, he is clearly not stupid.  Getting a 3rd  round pick for a starting QB in his prime fits my definition of 'little compensation'. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If only the Bills didn't pass on QBs in last years draft yet again. 

They had their chance at Mahomes and Watson. They passed as the franchise always does at the QB position. 

If you were McD would you trust Whaley or his scouts to get it right with the QB position?

Shoot, they might have recommended DeShone Kizer in the 1st. They didn't see Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt and instead got Zay Jones who couldn't catch a cold last season. 

Time will tell if these new scouts/GM know what they are doing with this year's picks. 

45 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Taylor has been the one overhyped.  Signed a $92 million dollar contract only to have it slashed 8 months later.  Has that ever happened?

Beane and McDermott wants someone who can throw from the pocket.  They've said it more than once.  Taylor is among the worst in the NFL inside the pocket.

McDermott benched Taylor while holding the 6th seed in the playoffs and for a 5th round rookie....that tells you everything what he thinks of him.

Yep. Exactly!

If Brady retires unexpectedly (which I think is a possibility) after winning the SB, then all bets are off, we go all in to win the East this year, if however Brady, Bellicheat stick it out for one more year, then I am NOT in favor of backing up a truck for any of the FA QB's.  My hope is that all these QB needy teams fall over each other signing Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, Cousins and whomever else, and we stay put, and use our Draft stock wisely.  We ain't wining the East until brady and or Bellicheat move into the dusk..

Tim-

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

... But I think you're confusing my past statement of "Taylor running the offense the way McDermott wants" with "McDermott was happy with our offense."

I haven’t read your previous posts for context, but if Taylor is running the offense the way he wants, how can McDermott be unhappy with it?  

Smith goes from a team with a good OL, a brilliant head coach/OC and 3 great offensive weapons(Hunt, Hill and Kielce) to...  ?

I think Smith is a good option at QB for a team looking for a starter for ~3 years looking to maybe take a run at it, but not on the Redskins.  I think this is going to be a case of “buyers remorse” almost from the get go. 

Just doesnt seem like a good fit. 

Edited by LabattBlue

28 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

you're so far off on cousins it's hilarious

My opinion is so far off from your opinion on Cousins it is Hilarious. 

Its almost like one one of us doesn’t live outside DC, watch the skins play regularly, listen to the skins sports radio and press conferences as well as chit chat with numerous dovout skins fans season in and out for the past decade or so. 

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

My opinion is so far off from your opinion on Cousins it is Hilarious. 

Its almost like one one of us doesn’t live outside DC, watch the skins play regularly, listen to the skins sports radio and press conferences as well as chit chat with numerous dovout skins fans season in and out for the past decade or so. 

cousins is head and shoulders above tyrod and alex smith. your skins friends will be hating this trade week 4

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

cousins is head and shoulders above tyrod and alex smith. your skins friends will be hating this trade week 4

People can hate whatever they want, As long as Cousins head and shoulders don’t don any Bills swag... he’s about to Brock Osweiler some poor unsuspecting franchise...

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

People can hate whatever they want, As long as Cousins head and shoulders don’t don any Bills swag... he’s about to Brock Osweiler some poor unsuspecting franchise...

How so? He’s all of a sudden going to throw more picks than tds? Stop throwing for over 4K yards? Just cause he switched teams?

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If you think cousins is anywhere in the same ballpark as osweilwer you need your head examined.

Is cousins the best QB in football?

Nope.

Is he top 5? 

Nope.

Is he a top 10 QB, turning 29, available for nothing but $$ (no draft picks/players traded)?

Yep.

Osweilwer wasn't even a top 15-20 QB when he was a free agent, nobody thought he was.

Every single team overpays for the top FA available.

It's how an open market works.

When it's a young QB without an injury history, his $$ will be magnified.

The fact that you think he's as terrible as osweilwer is absurd.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

If you think cousins is anywhere in the same ballpark as osweilwer you need your head examined.

Nope.

Is he top 5? 

Nope.

Is he a top 10 QB, turning 29, available for nothing but $$ (no draft picks/players traded)?

Yep.

Osweilwer wasn't even a top 15-20 QB when he was a free agent, nobody thought he was.

Osweiler wasn’t even top 30 when the Texans signed him

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Nope.

Is he top 5? 

Nope.

Yep.

I referenced Brock because he was given waaaay more money than he was worth, jacked up the team’s cap and ended up not being the prospect that was hoped for setting the team back until they creatively unloaded him and found a much higher potential and higher performing QB. 

There is plenty of analysis out there on this topic... 

but its it’s important for folks to believe what they need to. I’ll stick to my perspective until I’m offered a compelling reason to reconsider 

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Osweiler wasn’t even top 30 when the Texans signed him

Yes it is a way worse example but parallels the Situation I see here. I’ve heard locally he expects to be the highest paid QB in the game

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I referenced Brock because he was given waaaay more money than he was worth, jacked up the team’s cap and ended up not being the prospect that was hoped for setting the team back until they creatively unloaded him and found a much higher potential and higher performing QB. 

There is plenty of analysis out there on this topic... 

but its it’s important for folks to believe what they need to. I’ll stick to my perspective until I’m offered a compelling reason to reconsider 

Yes it is a way worse example but parallels the Situation I see here. I’ve heard locally he expects to be the highest paid QB in the game

if smith can get 24 then cousins is worth 27 or whatever. if our gm can put together a similar draft this year as they did last year with all the extra picks...success

The problem with gambling on any QB that doesn't have a lot of starts under their belt is you don't really know what you have.  The cost just gets exacerbated when it is an untested veteran.  Are you getting Brock or Jimmy G.?  People forget that Jimmy G. only had a couple of actual starts.  That could have gone the other way like Brock.  

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Your explanation doesn't make any sense because it's directly a conflicting statement from McDermott's.

I'm not confusing anything.  You're trying to find any nook where it's pro Taylor.  You think emotionally and not logically when it comes to Taylor.

Which explanation I've given in the past are you saying doesn't make any sense?  I really don't know which you're talking about.  Can you tell me the explanation and try not to give me what you think I meant?

I've never said McDermott is happy with the offense under Taylor, as you seem to imply.  If I've said he's happy, can you find me actually saying that?

Lack of turnovers

Contract that was built perfectly as a bridge to a drafted QB as it expires next year

Last year's OC fired

Now the one guy I thought was the most legitimate vet QB option for us has been traded

It's funny that you say I'm thinking emotionally and not logically in this whole situation about whether McDermott and the Bills move on from him or not this offseason because I'd argue you're doing that yourself.

I'm not really emotional about this because I want to upgrade over Taylor.  But I don't think we're going to make the same mistake we did back with Fitz and EJ when we cut off our nose to spite our face.