Bills hire John Butler as secondary coach

YoloinOhio

Here's an article from BuffaloRumblings from a year ago speculating that McD might hire him as defensive coordinator.

Apparently, McD and Butler were high school teammates. Butler was recently fired by the Texans.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/11/14236628/john-butler-sean-mcdermott-bills-texans-assistant-ties-to-mcdermott-could-be-defensive-coordinator

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Do you really think he may have just hired him because he's a friend?

Its a possibility. Do you know how many people get hired at places simply because they have a friend that does the hiring? Regardless of business acumen or professional standards.

Im questioning it thats all, i dont have that answer.

Lets not act like cronyism doesnt exist tho, especially in the sports and entertainment industry 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Do you really think he may have just hired him because he's a friend?

Of COURSE people think that - everything is a conspiracy when it comes the Bills! :D   :tinfoil hat:

Just now, FearLess Price said:

Its a possibility. Do you know how many people get hired at places simply because they have a friend that does the hiring? Regardless of business acumen or professional standards.

Lets not act like cronyism doesnt exist tho, especially in the sports and entertainment industry 

I understand it happens, but it's not like this guy isn't qualified. Familiarity is not the same as cronyism. I think those two get confused a lot. Not saying you're confusing them , but it's common.

Plus, McDermott doesn't seem the type to hire someone just based on friendship. Only Rex does stuff like that.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

I understand it happens, but it's not like this guy isn't qualified. Familiarity is not the same as cronyism. I think those two get confused a lot. Not saying you're confusing them , but it's common.

Plus, McDermott doesn't seem the type to hire someone just based on friendship. Only Rex does stuff like that.

I skimmed the article, the guy has credentials without question. 

Familiarity helps when you look for people to work with, i understand that.

If Derm doesnt seem like the type to keep someone on bc of friendship then why is Castillo still here?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

it's funny how the texans fired him after they lose bouye to free agency. that defense also lost so much talent it's hard for anyone to look good. I think this is a solid hire. 

They actually dismissed several assistants and the word is that McNair told O’Brien to do so if he wanted that big extension ... 

the last secondary coach O’Brien fired was Vance Joseph and now he’s a HC.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Seems like a decent hire based on Butler's experience/resume.

I'm just wondering why McD felt the need to change/upgrade when the defensive backfield was the most consistent part of the entire team all season.

9 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

I don't see McD being the kind of coach that hires buddies just because their buddies. he appears to be a pretty meticulous man and I see this as more of experience hire for the betterment of the team. but that's just my opinion.

trust the process.

6 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Anyone else have a flashback to the gentle giant former Bills g.m. ?  (rip)

I did when I first saw the thread.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Linebackers coach and ST coordinator at Harvard when Fitz was there.  Coincidence? B-)

Edited by stevewin

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm just wondering why McD felt the need to change/upgrade when the defensive backfield was the most consistent part of the entire team all season.

because changing position coaches wont change scheme/design/play calls so it will not really have a huge impact 

22 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I don't see McD being the kind of coach that hires buddies just because their buddies. he appears to be a pretty meticulous man and I see this as more of experience hire for the betterment of the team. but that's just my opinion.

trust the process.

I did when I first saw the thread.

I agreed but then i see our OL running a zone scheme that has regressed our running game, pass blocking, and Castillo hasnt been axed. So.... meh.

32 minutes ago, Gugny said:

trust the process

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

I agreed but then i see our OL running a zone scheme that has regressed our running game, pass blocking, and Castillo hasnt been axed. So.... meh.

is it January? I would expect many changes between now and opening day about 8 months from now,  both on the roster and staff?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

40 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Based on the little I've read about Butler's credentials, this certainly doesn't FEEL like the Ronnie Jones fiasco of the Wade days.  THAT was cronyism at it's finest.

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Because he wanted to. It's not about need. He wants the guys that he wants.

He's the real brains behind the defense anyway.

1 minute ago, transient said:

Based on the little I've read about Butler's credentials, this certainly doesn't FEEL like the Ronnie Jones fiasco of the Wade days.  THAT was cronyism at it's finest.

Explain the wade and Ronnie jones thing

55 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Didn't Gregg-O do the same thing when he was here?

16 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Explain the wade and Ronnie jones thing

Jones, who IIRC was reportedly friends with Wade, had no experience whatsoever coaching special teams prior to being hired as ST coordinator, a role in which he was epically incompetent at.

27 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Butler Attended the same high school as McDermott 

he's also a highly regarded DB Coach

12 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Didn't Gregg-O do the same thing when he was here?

I don't recall, but Butler is qualified.

27 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

is it January? I would expect many changes between now and opening day about 8 months from now,  both on the roster and staff?

Right. Lets see how it plays out. 

27 minutes ago, transient said:

Credentials are real. The connections are too. Lets hope to see acountability at the coaching level, like what happened with Dennison.