Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

I don't get why so many people argue. Most likely, both Wood and the Bills brass reacted emotionally to the news, understandably so, and all called up and organised the press conference, with many ex-teammates showing up. Then the business side came into play and it all became awkward, and it was too ate to cancel, that' s all. It's not classless or petty by Woods to make sure he makes all his money, nor by the Bills to save cap space and money! It's just business. As if the remaining players would resent it and all that crap. That depends on HOW it is handled, not that it is handled, which is totally normal.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I don't get why so many people argue. Most likely, both Wood and the Bills brass reacted emotionally to the news, understandably so, and all called up and organised the press conference, with many ex-teammates showing up. Then the business side came into play and it all became awkward, and it was too ate to cancel, that' s all. It's not classless or petty by Woods to make sure he makes all his money, nor by the Bills to save cap space and money! It's just business. As if the remaining players would resent it and all that crap. That depends on HOW it is handled, not that it is handled, which is totally normal.

This board is full of the.. if you don’t agree with my opinion I will belittle you type of people.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I do tend to do that, but only to balance out the pitchfork and torch reactions the other way.

Which is certainly the way so much of this board swings.   

Certainly a big part of that is the Bills history of ineptitude.    OTHO, some is an automatic reflexive attitude by (more than a few) posters that "management is always wrong" and/or out to get 'the little guy'...      

54 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

On top of it also are all the incorrect details reported as fact. 

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

his last name is Wood

it is sad that Bills fans, after 10 years, still dont know his name

Wow - Bucky Gleason writes an entire ill-informed and highly speculative article about this and doesn't mention either "NFLPA" or "salary cap."  No one is getting screwed here, and Wood isn't selfish. It's just a bit complicated and nothing more than that. http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/29/bucky-gleason-more-questions-than-answers-emerge-from-woods-retirement-presser/

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Wow - Bucky Gleason writes an entire ill-informed and highly speculative article about this and doesn't mention either "NFLPA" or "salary cap."  No one is getting screwed here, and Wood isn't selfish. It's just a bit complicated and nothing more than that. http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/29/bucky-gleason-more-questions-than-answers-emerge-from-woods-retirement-presser/

And he did his job right by getting you to comment about it AND post the link to said article for others to give him the hits.

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Democracy died in darkness there.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

it is a joke to treat a player like this.   other players will notice.  this is worse then you think 

How can I, or anyone else made a judgment when you arent privy to the details- let alone the actual situation... ya can't!!! So until it's known and the who what where when and why's are aparant...let's give it a rest, shall we?

3 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

This is what I gathered from the situation as well.

There are a lot of "technical" details that need to be worked out behind the scenes.  It's possible that Wood's language and wording at the press conference could have caused problems with either:

a) Receiving the guaranteed money he is due

b) Allowing the Bills to structure his cap hit the way they want

That's why he made it clear that he won't be playing anymore, but never used the actual word "retire."

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, yeah but ...

Why would you want to talk football with folks whose opinion you don't care about?  I mean, when I want to talk football at the office, I don't seek out the local Plushass Patriots Pundit who really doesn't know a push-off from a hold or zone from man.  I look for someone who knows something.  When someone knows something I generally respect them.

It's really idle curiousity here, I've read your sentiment before and it puzzles me every time.

Look, you might be a nice guy, maybe if we were neighbors we’d get along well. But to me you’re just ‘an internet person.’ Internet people do things every day people don’t do. Like I’ve discussed politics and or football in a casual environment with people I don’t know and it’s typically pretty nice. Internet people though call you Hitler and state that you’re uneducated if you have a typeo or a grammatical error.....so, I don’t care about your opinion about me because you’re an internet person. That’s all you are to me and I should be nothing more to you. However, as a dude that lives in Atlanta I like checking in here and occasionally commenting because otherwise I wouldn’t know what Bills fans think. I don’t know any Bills fans where I live so to keep the pulse of the fan base I come here. So, I’m interested to see what people say about the Bills, but if somebody doesn’t like me I promise I won’t cry into my whiskey tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Bucky and Sully just poop on the local sports teams. They treat UB just as bad.

13 hours ago, joesixpack said:

:lol: fair enough

thanks Joe.

16 hours ago, cba fan said:

You are a genius my friend..........still laughing.......

uncalled for euphemism.

ban hammer should be a swingin'

:ph34r:

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Democracy died in darkness there.

a thousand deaths from a thousand (poorly wielded ) knives.