Reason for Concern?

The Bills made some great offseason pkups last yr on Defense,  Hyde, Poyer, Tre,  Milano & Gaines were very good additions to this team.  These additions were great in value and helped us break the 17yr drought . But what's the common theme here there all defensive players. Mcd being a defensive minded coach might had alot to do with these moves as he found guys that fit his scheme like a glove.

What about the offense? What went wrong here? I think its safe to say none of these guys earned there keep on the field this yr and most alarming to me is none of these players offer much as far as difference maker talents.  The Wrs are all big and slow and don't have much speed to spread the field. Dimarco and Tolbert are blah blah players that didn't contribute very much either.  Is this a sign to be concerned about? 

DiMarco - where was all the passes he was supposed to catch? Plus he's not even that good of a blocker

Tolbert - the biggest head scratcher of them all . I see how he brings a leadership role to the team but he should never be a #2 RB in the NFL.  Actually he never has in his 12 seasons.  He was always a FB/ short yardage bk 

Zay, Matthews & Benjamin 

These 3 i can say the same thing bout big & slow can't separate is this how we want our wrs looking from here on out.  

Do we have reason to be concerned about the lack of talent evaluation on the offensive side of the ball.

Everyone scratched their heads about the 2 FBs.  All three of those WR were injured much of the season - Zay playing through it.

Dawkins was a great addition. Though not a skill player.

Thompson seems to have been a good pickup, I suspect that Zay & Benjamin will have better years next year.  Matthews is as good as gone.

The OC was part of the problem, the QB was part of the problem, the injuries were part of the problem.  Shady was the best story to come out of the offense.  I get the frustration, but I don't think I'm hitting the panic button on offensive talent evaluation just yet.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MTBill said:

Everyone scratched their heads about the 2 FBs.  All three of those WR were injured much of the season - Zay playing through it.

Thompson seems to have been a good pickup, I suspect that Zay & Benjamin will have better years next year.  Matthews is as good as gone.

The OC was part of the problem, the QB was part of the problem, the injuries were part of the problem.  Shady was the best story to come out of the offense.  I get the frustration, but I don't think I'm hitting the panic button on offensive talent evaluation just yet.

Agree with MTBill here.  I expect Benjamin will have a much better year this coming year.  Still not sure on Jones, but he deserves another year.  We do need some speed in this position.  We absolutely need another RB and I don't think whoever it will be is on the roster today.  Shandy still is great, but we need a tandem and it's not Tolbert.  

• Like (+1) 1

The reason the offense didn't work was Tyrod Taylor's inability to play from the pocket, and his aversion to taking any sort of chances. There are times in a game in which you need to take a shot. Sometimes those long interceptions turn into long punts. Dennison's play calling didn't help. 

DiMarco should have been used more in the running game. He had been graded as the best fullback in the league for a few years and suddenly did nothing. I don't think he was used properly. I think Daboll will use him as he started his career with him and Kansas City and NE does make use of a fullback. I think they may have wanted more versatility and that is why they were in on Kyle Juszczyk. I think they wanted a guy who could be Patrick DiMarco and Nick O'Leary in one. I think we saw a lot of DiMarco's reps go to O'Leary honestly. I think they just liked 11 an 12 personnel more than 21 personnel. 

Tolbert I thought was signed to be a locker room cheerleader, then J. Williams was cut. I don't understand his presence on the field and literally screamed at the TV any time he was in the game. He did fumble in the snow game though, so there's that. 

Matthews was a weird fit and I honestly hated that trade. I didn't like the pick of Zay Jones either. I actually really wanted Cooper Kupp. Hindsight says we should have pick Smith-Schuster. I love teh KB trade. He is teh type of player we have not had in a long time. He is a game changer if we have a quarterback who can get him the ball. 

Daboll will make a big difference picking offensive personnel in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, MTBill said:

I'm not hitting the panic buttom but it is a little concerning.  I hope they go out and grab some guys that add different dimensions to our offense we need 2 more 3 down caliber bks . To go with Benji and Zay we need to add 2 speedsters to wr core. Most importantly whoever we add i hope they can run after the catch . Make people miss in open field.

49 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The Bills made some great offseason pkups last yr on Defense,  Hyde, Poyer, Tre,  Milano & Gaines were very good additions to this team.  These additions were great in value and helped us break the 17yr drought . But what's the common theme here there all defensive players. Mcd being a defensive minded coach might had alot to do with these moves as he found guys that fit his scheme like a glove.

What about the offense? What went wrong here? I think its safe to say none of these guys earned there keep on the field this yr and most alarming to me is none of these players offer much as far as difference maker talents.  The Wrs are all big and slow and don't have much speed to spread the field. Dimarco and Tolbert are blah blah players that didn't contribute very much either.  Is this a sign to be concerned about? 

DiMarco - where was all the passes he was supposed to catch? Plus he's not even that good of a blocker

Tolbert - the biggest head scratcher of them all . I see how he brings a leadership role to the team but he should never be a #2 RB in the NFL.  Actually he never has in his 12 seasons.  He was always a FB/ short yardage bk 

Zay, Matthews & Benjamin 

These 3 i can say the same thing bout big & slow can't separate is this how we want our wrs looking from here on out.  

Do we have reason to be concerned about the lack of talent evaluation on the offensive side of the ball.

I am assuming they couldn't find and better option at QB last season.  So maybe they figured with a one year and out QB, they would wait until the QB situation was more stable/long term to build the offense up. 

Unless something was said by one of the coaches, I am not sure about the "all the catches" DiMarco was supposed to have, his career high was 13 and that was his only double digit reception year.

Tolbert was a waste on the field, but a great locker room guy that McD was familiar with.  For a new head coach, those types of players are important in year one. 

Benjamin will be good next season, but they do need to find a deep threat to open up the middle of the field for him.

I am really not concerned about their ability to build up the offense at all now that Dennison is gone...

Edited by ricojes

53 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Zay, Matthews & Benjamin 

Your over thinking with the offensive side. The Bills at one point did have Watkins, Boldin, & Zay and at the time most NFL media said the Bills had one of the better WR corps out there. McD didn't trade Sammy that was Beane and he had to take that lump. Benjamin trade was suppose to have helped the WR corp same with Matthews but both had injuries that really did effect their play to the point Matthews was on IR and Benjamin was only good for catching passes forget yards after.

I know people don't like to hear it but injuries like that really do effect what you can do.

On the plus Deonte Thompson was brought in and played a very good role and I think Nick O'Leary had his best year to date same with Clay when healthy.

The bigger issue to me was his choice of Dennison who I will defend a little by saying the sum of the parts he had wasn't much and he still had some nice games late against MIA that helped clinch the playoffs. That said McD's pick of Dennison went against every strength Taylor had because of the scheme which didn't make sense from day 1. Additionally I didn't like how conservative they got in the 2nd half if they had a sizeable lead. I am not sure if that was more McD or Dennison but in the end the coach can dictate how that goes and I hope he has learned from it.

So overall I think it was more a case of some good some bad and we never really got to see what the offense would've been had Benjamin, Clay, & Matthews all been healthy as a group.

I very much like his pick of Sabol very creative mind and I want to reserve judgement on a lot until the off season is finished.

Edited by corta765

No major concerns for me...Only move I question was signing Tolbert. I  would hope that was more for his leadership and locker room presence than his running ability.  WRs get a pass because the OC didn't have a system for Tyrod, and that Tyrod is below average at throwing the football. 

You have to put this in the context of where this team was a year ago. Buffalo didn't have all that much cap space to work with, and they spent it on good defensive pickups.

I'm not sure this is an issue of talent evaluation so much as it is an issue of a lack of talent, period, as well as being straddled with a terrible offensive coordinator. The Dennison hire scares me more than the talent evaluation aspect does, but I'm glad McDermott was so quick to dump Dennison.

Moving forwards, this team still has holes galore, even on the defensive side, but they have more flexibility now to address the holes. It's a long process, but I have faith in them for now at least. Ask me again after this offseason and my answer could change.

2 hours ago, BfloBillsFan said:

No major concerns for me...Only move I question was signing Tolbert. I  would hope that was more for his leadership and locker room presence than his running ability.  WRs get a pass because the OC didn't have a system for Tyrod, and that Tyrod is below average at throwing the football. 

I thought there was information out there that McD's wife and Tolbert's are best friends and their families are very close.   How is that lost by those who call it a head scratcher.

I couldn't blame them for doing the best they could with what they had. I just think they made fixing the defense a priority. I can understand that. 

Now they should put serious attention into the offense and scoring points. I think that should be a huge priority. You can't walk away from games only scoring 3 points. I'm not concerned right yet. I trust the process. 

Edited by Lfod

4 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Zay, Matthews & Benjamin 

I have to agree with most of what is said here but I'm not sure its time to be concerned yet. See the below post as to why. Benjamin is slow, but he can get separation at times but his is really in his size so I'm not to worried about Benjamin. I do think Zay comes along next year and Thomas is a good addition this year as well. I can see them grabbing a WR in the 2nd to accompany Benjamin.

3 hours ago, snamsnoops said:

It was year one of a new regime. A lot of changes\moving parts last year. I believe it is way to early to be overly concerned. McBeane hasn't even drafted a player for this team yet.

49 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I need to go back and watch Milano more. Is he a legit starter, or just the best we had at the time?

I like Milano. He is good in space and I thought he was excellent shooting gaps and  blitzing. He was really good at this at BC. I think he needs to improve in coverage a bit. He was really close to a bunch of interceptions and just kind of got moved at the last second by teh quarterback. As his awareness of the game increases, his coverage will be better. 

I think he was pretty poor taking on blockers and sometimes took some really bad angles. I think he has potential though and has a nose for the ball. 

Now is he LaVonte David or Telvin Smith? No, but he can be an average starter at the Will and he will make plays.  Taking on blocks and working on angles can be improved, as can his awareness in coverage. He can also stand to get stronger. He is much better than I thought he would be after watching him in the preseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

You can't fault this coaching staff on offensive blunders. Without a quarterback that can't read a defense and make the throws. I'm not sticking up for Denison but the man lost his job here like so many have before him due to the quarterback position being terrible. Let's judge what he can do IF we can get a top flight quarterback !

When there are 5 'top flight' QBs in the league - some of whom have played >10 years...  good luck getting that diamond in the rough.  They are rare.

What we need is an above average QB (tier 2 guy) - who the OC can make the most out of.  Daboll seems like the man for that job.  I'm not suggesting TT is above average, but it is unlikely any of this years "top talent" are going to be a top 5 QB the way Brady/Brees/Big Ben perennially are.  Just looking at the odds based on the last 5 years "top QBs" who have not blown the doors off year in and years out to be 'elite'.  Maybe Wentz or Jimmy G will be that, but I doubt it.  There have been lots of 1-2 year pretenders.  Smith is maybe that guy - but I don't know how hard they'll have to work to get a trade.  I imagine that KC wants to keep him as plan B unless someone offers them a plan B (TT??).  Trouble with TT as a plan B guy is he's too expensive to be a backup on the current contract.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was started by Savior Back-Up. Thankfully, it wasn't.

The Bills are going to be making moves on both sides of the ball, we all know that, and the offense really needs help. Once free agency starts I don't expect the Bills to make a big splash. They could sign one big name player, maybe two, and I think that is being  generous. Look for 2nd tier free agents to be the target.

Although, that is not a bad thing. We saw what the Bills did with "lesser" talented players. I wasn't excited when we signed Jordan Poyer, and I wasn't that thrilled with E.J. Gaines. Look at how that turned out.

My lone problem with McDermott & Co. is that we never had a viable back-up RB for LeSean McCoy. That has to change, and I believe it will. 

Most of us, if not, all of us did not expect to make the playoffs this season. Even if Cincinnati hadn't beaten Baltimore, I still would have been happy with the Bills season. I believe that this staff knows what they are doing, and I think they will make the right moves for us this off season.

• Like (+1) 1

You only go as far as your QB can take you in this QB driven league. Come draft time we will see if change will happen to the offense with better players or will it be more of the same wishing our D is better then most while our below average QB struggles to get more then a FG because changing only the OC is only half the problem.

12 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Zay, Matthews & Benjamin 

excellent blocker reasonable catcher  Dimarco

Tolbert? locker room value has passed imho. But so poorly used by Dennison. should have been busting jaw not running screens flares and dump offs eh ?
Zay wtf know what happened there ? !!
Matthews is a bust for us.
Benjamin? Thats another story. I want to keep him around and help him improve. Getting him healthy should allow Coaches to see if he has enough value
none of them made enough of a difference this past season though.

so 

Yes we should be concerned about how the offense was built last season. Very. Because it has to be corrected

11 hours ago, corta765 said:

Your over thinking with the offensive side. The Bills at one point did have Watkins, Boldin, & Zay and at the time most NFL media said the Bills had one of the better WR corps out there. McD didn't trade Sammy that was Beane and he had to take that lump. Benjamin trade was suppose to have helped the WR corp same with Matthews but both had injuries that really did effect their play to the point Matthews was on IR and Benjamin was only good for catching passes forget yards after.

I know people don't like to hear it but injuries like that really do effect what you can do.

On the plus Deonte Thompson was brought in and played a very good role and I think Nick O'Leary had his best year to date same with Clay when healthy.

The bigger issue to me was his choice of Dennison who I will defend a little by saying the sum of the parts he had wasn't much and he still had some nice games late against MIA that helped clinch the playoffs. That said McD's pick of Dennison went against every strength Taylor had because of the scheme which didn't make sense from day 1. Additionally I didn't like how conservative they got in the 2nd half if they had a sizeable lead. I am not sure if that was more McD or Dennison but in the end the coach can dictate how that goes and I hope he has learned from it.

So overall I think it was more a case of some good some bad and we never really got to see what the offense would've been had Benjamin, Clay, & Matthews all been healthy as a group.

I very much like his pick of Sabol very creative mind and I want to reserve judgement on a lot until the off season is finished.

will Sabol be picking his players?
 I am less pleased than you.
You mentioned Deonte and thats is when you lost me.

Speed theat? who has trouble running routes.

I cannot find WR in the bunch who are worth notice.

8 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

You only go as far as your QB can take you in this QB driven league. Come draft time we will see if change will happen to the offense with better players or will it be more of the same wishing our D is better then most while our below average QB struggles to get more then a FG because changing only the OC is only half the problem.

again. one of the worst WRs group in the league. How did that happen?

29 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Are you the guy hugging him, or the guy staring at his firm buttocks? :)

it seems you are the one who noticed :wub:

but now that you mention them...

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

The reason the offense didn't work was Tyrod Taylor's inability to play from the pocket, and his aversion to taking any sort of chances. There are times in a game in which you need to take a shot. Sometimes those long interceptions turn into long punts. Dennison's play calling didn't help. 

DiMarco should have been used more in the running game. He had been graded as the best fullback in the league for a few years and suddenly did nothing. I don't think he was used properly. I think Daboll will use him as he started his career with him and Kansas City and NE does make use of a fullback. I think they may have wanted more versatility and that is why they were in on Kyle Juszczyk. I think they wanted a guy who could be Patrick DiMarco and Nick O'Leary in one. I think we saw a lot of DiMarco's reps go to O'Leary honestly. I think they just liked 11 an 12 personnel more than 21 personnel. 

Tolbert I thought was signed to be a locker room cheerleader, then J. Williams was cut. I don't understand his presence on the field and literally screamed at the TV any time he was in the game. He did fumble in the snow game though, so there's that. 

Matthews was a weird fit and I honestly hated that trade. I didn't like the pick of Zay Jones either. I actually really wanted Cooper Kupp. Hindsight says we should have pick Smith-Schuster. I love teh KB trade. He is teh type of player we have not had in a long time. He is a game changer if we have a quarterback who can get him the ball. 

Daboll will make a big difference picking offensive personnel in my opinion. 

All 3 of those receivers had speed questions.  On the Zay scouting page it said this though and i giggled...

"I thought along with Haason Reddick, he handled the process better than anybody in college football. He's got hands and toughness. ... People thought he couldn't run because most of his offense was underneath. I'll tell you right now, he ran away from people at the Senior Bowl. He went from a third- or fourth-round selection to a high second-round because he trusted the process." -- Mike Mayock

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:14 AM, VirginiaMike said:

Agree with MTBill here.  I expect Benjamin will have a much better year this coming year.  Still not sure on Jones, but he deserves another year.  We do need some speed in this position.  We absolutely need another RB and I don't think whoever it will be is on the roster today.  Shandy still is great, but we need a tandem and it's not Tolbert.  

Fact is, the RB problem was coach driven  he wanted his buddy Tolbert on the team even though he should have been cut . WR problem was also caused by the  coach . Kelvin Benjamin is nothing more than a TE front office continue their ineptitude with trading for Jordan Mathews. I don't trust any regime that has a different agenda other than the best players get to play....  

Edited by liverpoolkev

7 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

Fact is, the RB problem was coach driven  he wanted his buddy Tolbert on the team even though he should have been cut . WR problem was also caused by the  coach . Kelvin Benjamin is nothing more than a TE front office continue their ineptitude with trading for Jordan Mathews. I don't trust any regime that has a different agenda other than the best players get to play....  

Both players got hurt when they arrived, it was more bad luck than anything else.  

The defense WAS the concern this year. They were absolutely right to focus on the defense. And it still needs a lot of work.

Bring in a good QB and the offense is fine. I say bring in a QB but continue to build a dominant defense, then focus on rebuilding the oline and find more weapons on offense.

You can always compete with a dominant defense.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

Dawkins is a stud. Zay has upside, Thompson has upside . Benjamin has #1 WR potential, though I'd love to add a proven#1 or 2 WR and we got Zay/Thompson as 3-4. I think they really keyed in on defense because of the switch back to a 43 and had to make major changes,where as the O I feel Dennison believed he could work with what we had. OC was the biggest issue. Lack of creativity was mind boggling. Love the new hire though and better quality at QB will make a huge difference.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

The defense WAS the concern this year. They were absolutely right to focus on the defense. And it still needs a lot of work.

Bring in a good QB and the offense is fine. I say bring in a QB but continue to build a dominant defense, then focus on rebuilding the oline and find more weapons on offense.

You can always compete with a dominant defense.

Totally agree. And with that secondary, we are close to having an elite defense, I feel we hit the jackpot on secondary for this scheme. Now they can strictly focus on front 7 and that's much easier to find for this scheme. I fully expect us to be a top contender next year, they are really building something special. I haven't been this sold on a front office in my life as a Bills fan

I am amazed Shady made it through 17 games. They were going to ride him as far as he would take them. There was no plan b. They weren't going to tank by sucking. They were going to tank by attrition. That just didn't work out they way they thought it would. I expect this off season plan to be totally different.