Opening Day 2018

njbuff

Oh, you should make this a poll.  Great off-season question, you could do it before the draft, after the draft, etc. 

Right now I'd go w/ Alex Smith.  

Just now, Success said:

Sam Bradford, with a rookie and Peterman as 2 and 3.

Probably the best vet option.

this is my preference, but for some reason I envision Smith happening.  

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Aftet listening to yesterday's interviews I'm confident the Bills move up. I think it's going to be Mayfield.

Same.  Less sure about who they covet but Beane couldn't wait to talk about moving up.  He was doing it unprompted.  I'm not sure where the strategic benefit is for the Bills in doing that if they are not considering it when they are sitting at 21.  If you are sitting at 10 and want an impact pass rusher who might be pushed down by a team jumping up because they are worried about you moving up to grab a QB then by all means play the Buddy Nix game.  But if you are sitting at 21 there is no way you can influence what happens ahead of you sufficiently to push guys to your pick.  

After yesterday I will be VERY surprised if the Bills don't pick earlier than the 21st spot in the 1st round. 

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Same.  Less sure about who they covet but Beane couldn't wait to talk about moving up.  He was doing it unprompted.  I'm not sure where the strategic benefit is for the Bills in doing that if they are not considering it when they are sitting at 21.  If you are sitting at 10 and want an impact pass rusher who might be pushed down by a team jumping up because they are worried about you moving up to grab a QB then by all means play the Buddy Nix game.  But if you are sitting at 21 there is no way you can influence what happens ahead of you sufficiently to push guys to your pick.  

After yesterday I will be VERY surprised if the Bills don't pick earlier than the 21st spot in the 1st round. 

what did Beane say or where can I hear it? 

Just now, PaattMaann said:

what did Beane say or where can I hear it? 

It's on the app I think the full interview.  He was asked about Quarterbacks and he brought the prospect of "moving up" into the conversation unprompted.  When he was later asked about the strength of the class he again repeated without the questioner asking it that if the Bills had a guy high enough then they would need to find a partner and look at the value of going to "#2, #3, #4".

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's on the app I think the full interview.  He was asked about Quarterbacks and he brought the prospect of "moving up" into the conversation unprompted.  When he was later asked about the strength of the class he again repeated without the questioner asking it that if the Bills had a guy high enough then they would need to find a partner and look at the value of going to "#2, #3, #4".

interesting take on his comments...the highlights I got from twitter were just him saying how it would cost a lot to move up that high using 21/22...really just starting to evaluate these QBs...etc...

I'll have to go listen to the full interview and see

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

interesting take on his comments...the highlights I got from twitter were just him saying how it would cost a lot to move up that high using 21/22...really just starting to evaluate these QBs...etc...

I'll have to go listen to the full interview and see

It is some reading between the lines on my part but my interpretation was basically - if after completing their evaluation they think there is a guy worth it and they think there is someone willing to trade with them then they will make the move. I don't expect them to just sit back and wait to see which QB is still there at 21.  I think if there is one they have a top 5 grade on they will make every effort to get him.  

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It is some reading between the lines on my part but my interpretation was basically - if after completing their evaluation they think there is a guy worth it and they think there is someone willing to trade with them then they will make the move. I don't expect them to just sit back and wait to see which QB is still there at 21.  I think if there is one they have a top 5 grade on they will make every effort to get him.  

I could see that...

And I don't mean for this to be offensive, but duh! I would hope that is how ALL NFL GM's feel about the QB position. If you love a prospect, and have the ammunition like we have, it would be dumb to NOT attempt to move up and get your QB. 

*again, IF you identify a QB that you think is the guy 

17 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Baker Mayfield 

they wont start a rookie. although your choice may be 10 times better then peterman I believe McD likely learned his lesson. no, the rook will sit behind a vet. that vet wont be taylor especially after what I read in to the comments regarding taylor from the senior bowl.

alex smith would be the ideal vet of choice to bring in and mentor the rookie.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

7 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I could see that...

And I don't mean for this to be offensive, but duh! I would hope that is how ALL NFL GM's feel about the QB position. If you love a prospect, and have the ammunition like we have, it would be dumb to NOT attempt to move up and get your QB. 

*again, IF you identify a QB that you think is the guy 

It's not the approach this team has taken though.  They have been passive about getting Quarterbacks they have liked.  This was much more bullish than the usual GM speak.  Again, HE raised it in the presser twice without the journos raising.  

6 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

they wont start a rookie. although your choice may be 10 times better then peterman I believe McD likely learned his lesson. no, the rook will sit behind a vet. that vet wont be taylor especially after what I read in to the comments regarding taylor from the senior bowl.

alex smith would be the ideal vet of choice to bring in and mentor the rookie.

Lot of rookies start day 1.      It’s a new day 

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's not the approach this team has taken though.  They have been passive about getting Quarterbacks they have liked.  This was much more bullish than the usual GM speak.  Again, HE raised it in the presser twice without the journos raising.  

yea true true (regarding him bringing up the trade up on his own)...

However, I wouldnt say we have been passive in trying to find our QB - aside from passing on Mahomes last year, but its quite possible they just didn't like him/think he had franchise guy potential (I disagree). I dont think we have been passive necessarily, but we have chosen the wrong guys! The past 15 years have been a futile search for a franchise QB. 

The Rest is not necessarily in response to only GunnerBill:

With the following I am not trying to argue the Bills have done enough or too little..just reminding us all painfully that we have been searching. 

A little history

Current QB - Tyrod Taylor. The previous regime thought he could become the guy and took their chance with him being that guy. This guy DID take us to the playoffs, but after several seasons as the starter it is obvious that he is very limited and therefore can never be THAT guy. But he occupies our immediate recent history of QB search. 

Kyle Orton/Matt Cassel brought in to be competitive with young QBs on the roster 

2013 - Drafted EJ Manuel in the first round to be THE GUY. Yes that regime was wrong, but they took their shot, aggressively, and pulled the trigger on a 1st round QB. 

2009 - Signed Ryan Fitzpatrick, not an awe inspiring move, but he played adequate QB for 2 full seasons plus 2 more of here and there/winning the QB competition. 

2007 - Drafted Trent Edwards in the third round, he went on to prove enough to the staff/FO for them to annoint him the starter.

2004 - Drafted JP Losman in the first round to be the future. Obviously a huge fail, but they took their chance in the first round on a QB 

2002 - The Bills traded for Drew Bledsoe, an established NFL Starter who would immediately solidify the QB position. Had him as the starter for 3 seasons...thats 3 seasons of competent NFL starting QBing. 

So for 15 years we have been searching, through the draft (2 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder), a big name potentially future HOF QB at the end of his career, and several so-so FA's

MAYBE the next guy we give a shot to will turn out to be the answer, or MAYBE he will be just the next name on this list. 

It is IMPERATIVE that McBeane get this QB pick right, regardless if we draft him at #2 or #22

Edited by PaattMaann

Bradford or Alex Smith as the Veteran QB. Peterman as the 2nd year QB. And a rookie QB.

I think how we approach the QB position in free agency / trade talks before the draft will be telling. If we pretty much just sit on our hands and do nothing I think it means we are going to at least try to go all out and get one of the top four QBs. Then after the draft we bring in our vet QB.

If we bring in the Vet QB first it might mean we take a QB in the 2nd round or later.