Sammy Watkins Wants to Stay with the Rams - Hits the Open Market

22 minutes ago, Magox said:

So who prevented him from being a #1 or #2 with the Rams?

Woods and Kupp.  I don't think the Rams realized how good Woods was before they traded for Watkins.

15 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man, regardless of what he is now, or what he may turn into in the future, what an absolutely huge mistake it was for us to not only take him, but give up the following year's first to get him.

Haunting.

A LOT of misses in that 2015 draft that went right after our pick.

The more frustrating thing was to move up and still miss out on an elite pass rusher (who went to college in Buffalo) or two true #1 WRs, one of which we could have gotten had we not traded up.

14 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

A LOT of misses in that 2015 draft that went right after our pick.

The more frustrating thing was to move up and still miss out on an elite pass rusher (who went to college in Buffalo) or two true #1 WRs, one of which we could have gotten had we not traded up.

OK, now you are just making me mad, CW.  I thought that when they traded the first rounder that was what they were going to do...go up and get Mack.

On 1/8/2018 at 10:39 AM, Paulus said:

He should go to the Giants, ha.

What? Sammy walks and they get a conditional 3rd. Really, not that bad.

Any comp pick they would get for him if he leaves in 2018 FA would be in 2019. And will depend on a number of factors, including who they do and don’t sign in 2018 FA. They may have given up their 2nd rd pick for a 1 year rental and yes, that’s very bad. 

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Who cares what Sammy wants to do?

He's not around anymore.

Let it go!

This too 

57 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man, regardless of what he is now, or what he may turn into in the future, what an absolutely huge mistake it was for us to not only take him, but give up the following year's first to get him.

Haunting.

This is the point that seems to either be lost or willfully ignored by the Whaley defenders, which was what I would consider to be the worst Bills FO decision probably in my life time.

We drafted a guy that has been outworked and outdone by about 4 other WR's in his draft class, he was an athlete that never endeared himself to the fanbase, he was a "me" first kind of player and he never came close to living up to his draft status.  And to make things worse as you noted we ended up trading a way a valuable #1 pick to move for him.

What a horrible decision by Whaley.  One that should go down in infamy as a decision that set this franchise back a few years.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I want to see Sammy do well, a team like San Francisco would be amazing for him. Garropolo could use an elite talent and Sammy would be the focal point in that offense. Make big bucks and play for an up and coming franchise. His numbers would be scary with Jimmy Garropolo.

What did people say about Sammy when he was traded to LA!

Did I get it right, Alex? Did I win the daily double?

1 minute ago, Magox said:

This is the point that seems to either be lost or willfully ignored by the Whaley defenders, which was what I would consider to be the worst Bills FO decision probably in my life time.

We drafted a guy that has been outworked and outdone by about 4 other WR's in his draft class, he was an athlete that never endeared himself to the fanbase, he was a "me" first kind of player and he never came close to living up to his draft status.  And to make things worse as you noted we ended up trading a way a valuable #1 pick to move for him.

What a horrible decision by Whaley.  One that should go down in infamy as a decision that set this franchise back a few years.

All in the hopes to prop up a poor starting QB.  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Any comp pick they would get for him if he leaves in 2018 FA would be in 2019. And will depend on a number of factors, including who they do and don’t sign in 2018 FA. They may have given up their 2nd rd pick for a 1 year rental and yes, that’s very bad. 

We will have to see, IMHO. A competent GM would have foreseen how the scenario would play out and prepared accordingly.  

Moving down a round, and back a year, may have been worth it. Especially, if they sign Sammy to a team friendly deal.

Like with play Peterman argument, they might have made the right decision, but just not have liked the results. 

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

We will have to see, IMHO. A competent GM would have foreseen how the scenario would play out and prepared accordingly.  

Moving down a round, and back a year, may have been worth it. Especially, if they sign Sammy to a team friendly deal.

Like with play Peterman argument, they might have made the right decision, but just not have liked the results. 

We'll never know how the team turned out this year if we kept him, but i don't think they planned on keeping him past 2017.  We also played much better defense with Gaines than without him, so that can't be ignored either.  The 2019 3rd round comp pick is not a guarantee - the 2018 2nd round pick is.

On 1/8/2018 at 5:31 AM, Magox said:

I think ideally for him, it would be best if he went to a team that has a QB that can throw (Goff can) but where he would also be the undisputed #1 choice (at least that he would perceive himself to be and to which he isn't with the Rams).

I don't think the Rams are a fit for him.  Clearly he didn't win over the confidence of Goff or he would have been targeted more, right?    If he were smart (which he isn't) money should be his secondary concern for 2018 and go to wherever he could get the most targets on a 1-2 year prove-it deal loaded with incentives.   Then look to get PAID in 2019 or 2020.

I'm not sure he's mentally got it in him to make it happen, but if he has extreme confidence in himself, that would be the best solution..

Yup, the TRUTH about Goff is that he is not a very good deep ball thrower at all yet, and with Kupp, Woods, Gurley, Austin, and the 2 talented TE's covering most the mid and short range, Watkins became used mostly as a deep threat type player.  Anyone watching the games can see Watkins predominantly is sent on deeper routes where his route isnt even complete yet and Goff already thrown the ball.  Not to mention, he still draws the top DB and frequently draws double coverage every week leaving Goff with easier throws eslewhere.  

The Rams are my second team living here in LA, and became more so after getting several former Bills like Sammy, Woods, and Robey.  So I watch the Bills game then watch the Rams game every week.  Sammy is a complete WR but was not used as such in LA this year.  Nobody on that team even had 900 yards receiving and the number 2 in yards receiving was a RB.  Goff spread the ball around a lot, and the dump off and short to mid range routes is where MOST the production came from.  And Sammy's drawing of the top DB and often double coverage helped open all of that up.  

Put him on a passing team for the first time in his career as the top target with a QB who can actually throw and he is going to be tough to stop.  Personally, I think the best place for him to go right now is San Francisco.  He and Jimmy could be the next great SF duo of QB to WR for a long time given their age. 

Personally, Rams need to help the D now, especially the secondary.  With Austins big contract and paying Woods last year, not sure its wise for them to invest more money at WR unless they get rid of Austins contract.  They still have a cheap talented WR in Kupp, two good TE's and Gurley.  The secondary is a much higher priority I would think for them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Paulus said:

If they sign him to a deal it doesn’t matter. That is what they have to do in order to make this a decent trade for them. Comparing a late/comp 3rd in 2019 at the best (could end up being no comp pick) to a 2nd this year for one season of a semi-contributor - if they dont sign him - was the issue you raised. 

They have to break the bank for Aaron Donald. Period. They should try to get Sammy signed but they have to get out of that horrible Tavon austin  contract first. And it all depends what he wants to do - if he can get a guaranteed money deal from a cap flush team like the Browns or SF then he probably will despite saying he wants to stay. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 1/8/2018 at 8:38 AM, Magox said:

I think that would actually be a very good destination for him.  

He gets open and J Garrapolo will find him. Unlike Goff, who never seems to make the connection and throws his way rarely as he's content to take the underneath routes. It would be a better fit imo