Sammy Watkins Wants to Stay with the Rams - Hits the Open Market

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

There's other CB's available, they might be able to get someone else.  Tagging Sammy is a strange choice with Donald's holdout looming.

I don't see them tagging him, we shall see. IIRC Tavon Austin's deal isn't so harsh for the new league year. I think they have an out in 18'

Was Les Snead the guy that gave Austin that deal? He was. So anything they do won't surprise me. I hope he don't screw it up, that's a fun team to watch. 

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

I don't see them tagging him, we shall see. IIRC Tavon Austin's deal isn't so harsh for the new league year. I think they have an out in 18'

Was Les Snead the guy that gave Austin that deal? He was. So anything they do won't surprise me. I hope he don't screw it up, that's a fun team to watch. 

The offense is likely fine whether you have him or not.  I think McVay thinks he can do something with the guy - and i honestly don't think they intend to extend him.  Its a 2018 play to have the best possible offense before you pay Donald.

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

There's other CB's available, they might be able to get someone else.  Tagging Sammy is a strange choice with Donald's holdout looming.

Doesn't exactly set a precedent that you value your best player.  He'll likely play because the teams better when he's underpaid.  But 2019 is coming and he will likely not suit up under a franchise tag.

Snead knows he has to pay up for the best player on his team.  He just has more time to make a deal with Donald under contract for '18.

Rams GM: New deal for DT Donald not first priority

On 1/8/2018 at 10:39 AM, Paulus said:

He should go to the Giants, ha.

What? Sammy walks and they get a conditional 3rd. Really, not that bad.

Maybe, maybe not..........many factors here.

On another note, I wonder how Woods feels.  Signed for a lot less than the franchise $ but higher production.

16 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Maybe, maybe not..........many factors here.

On another note, I wonder how Woods feels.  Signed for a lot less than the franchise $ but higher production.

Woods at least got paid. He deserves it a lot more than Sammy. At this point, Sammy will ascend to Bradford status one day in regards to being paid for diddly. 

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do your honestly think any Ram fan thought about Gaines once during the season? 

Couldn’t tell you, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they regret making the trade. It’s not like Watkins lived up to his expectations whereas Gaines was a great player for the Bills. And he probably would’ve been their 2nd CB if he had stayed.

Edited by Doc

On 1/8/2018 at 8:36 AM, Magox said:

He's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not nearly as good as what you and many other posters on this board believe him to be.

Yet, it's more than fair to say he's better than you insinuate.

4 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Yet, it's more than fair to say he's better than you insinuate.

How so?

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This is a somewhat baffling decision by the Rams if true.

I guess they feel they have to justify wasting a 2nd round pick for a #3 WR.

I think this is partially it.  I also believe they understand that having a deep threat like Sammy that it opens up their offense.  I also believe they think he could turn out to be something more than he has shown.   I don't believe they are convinced he's a legitimate #1, but with these possibilities of him potentially being a true #1 and that they traded a 2nd rounder and a good player in Gaines, it makes it awfully difficult to let him hit the open market.   

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not a bad outcome for him if true.  Bradford has banked over $100M I believe.

Over a million per TD pass.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/09/nfl-minnesota-vikings-sam-bradford - Earnings $114M+

http://www.nfl.com/player/sambradford/497095/careerstats - Stats TDs 103 INTs 57

Edited by Paulus

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude seriously? 

Gaines got injured every game like 10 snaps in. 

He was solid when healthy which was pretty rare. The guy is made of glass. 

The same people praising Gaines were the same people bashing Sammy for being a "kitty" because he was hurt. It's ridiculous. 

Just curious. How many snaps did Gaines miss?

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Just curious. How many snaps did Gaines miss?

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-buf-6.php

He missed the equivalent of almost 7 games. "Seven"

He left games injured about 4x and missed complete games 5x. He also went off injured a few times but did not miss a snap.

Edited by cba fan

54 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude seriously? 

Gaines got injured every game like 10 snaps in. 

He was solid when healthy which was pretty rare. The guy is made of glass. 

The same people praising Gaines were the same people bashing Sammy for being a "kitty" because he was hurt. It's ridiculous. 

Yeah, seriously.  And he wasn't "rarely" healthy.  Sure he got injured more than you'd like, and I'd be leery of offering him a big new contract, but his play was integral to the success of the team this year.  And he was basically a throw-in with the 2nd round pick the Bills got.

And I never called Watkins a kitty for getting injured.  But his production has not matched his talent and that is indisputable. 

I can see why the Rams would want him. Kupp and RW, who are good possession WRs, will not be handing in such outstanding report cards next year if Sammy or an equally credible vertical threat is not on the roster. They are not that easy to find. With Sammy their passing attack worked well. Why fix it if it's not broken? I don't know if there is any favouritism in Goff's selection of targets but I would doubt it. Not making any excuses for Sammy regarding his production or his failure to make some crucial plays but it seems to me that while Goff has developed into a very good short/intermediate passer it's also fair to say that his long ball could still do with some work. I've seen Sammy beat his man cleanly and get under thrown time and time again.

10 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I can see why the Rams would want him. Kupp and RW, who are good possession WRs, will not be handing in such outstanding report cards next year if Sammy or an equally credible vertical threat is not on the roster. They are not that easy to find. With Sammy their passing attack worked well. Why fix it if it's not broken? I don't know if there is any favouritism in Goff's selection of targets but I would doubt it. Not making any excuses for Sammy regarding his production or his failure to make some crucial plays but it seems to me that while Goff has developed into a very good short/intermediate passer it's also fair to say that his long ball could still do with some work. I've seen Sammy beat his man cleanly and get under thrown time and time again.

#elitedecoy #neverssammysfault

I guess the Rams want to preserve their 2017 offense for 2018 and they can probably afford this next year because Goff is on his rookie deal - but they have to pay Donald, and eventually will have to pay Gurley.  This kicks the can down the road by one year for them, but then they have decisions to make in 2019.  For Watkins, it essentially means another one year "prove it" situation, with a decent chance he's playing elsewhere in 2019.