Sammy Watkins Wants to Stay with the Rams - Hits the Open Market

Watkins is set for free agency in March and Saturday’s game ended a year that saw him rank fourth in targets from Rams quarterback Jared Goff. He made those targets pay off with eight touchdowns on 39 catches and he said he’d like to return for another tour with the team.

“You see this team building something, with the coaching staff and the players,” Watkins said, via the Los Angeles Daily News. “It would be a pleasure to come back but, you know, it’s a business. I’m looking forward to talking to the coach and seeing where my future is at.”

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think ideally for him, it would be best if he went to a team that has a QB that can throw (Goff can) but where he would also be the undisputed #1 choice (at least that he would perceive himself to be and to which he isn't with the Rams).

I don't think the Rams are a fit for him.  Clearly he didn't win over the confidence of Goff or he would have been targeted more, right?    If he were smart (which he isn't) money should be his secondary concern for 2018 and go to wherever he could get the most targets on a 1-2 year prove-it deal loaded with incentives.   Then look to get PAID in 2019 or 2020.

I'm not sure he's mentally got it in him to make it happen, but if he has extreme confidence in himself, that would be the best solution..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

8 tds... But yea, that guy is terrible. 

I wish we had a decoy who caught 8 tds. 

He's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not nearly as good as what you and many other posters on this board believe him to be.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Magox said:

He's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not nearly as good as what you and many other posters on this board believe him to be.

You're making things up. You don't know what I or anyone else thinks him to be. That's an easy point to try to make. You don't really say anything other than just the other person is wrong.

3 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Only 39 catches though, so those 8 td’s are somewhat misleading. Additionally, no one is catching 8 td’s in Dennison’s offense. 

8 tds on 39 catches sounds like the number 1 for this staff. I'm not sure what more Dennison or this staff would hope for than that in the passing game. 

He's not trash, come on...but he's not a real #1. A real #1 fights for the ball, high-points 50/50 balls. Sammy needs the ball to fall right into the bread basket. He has AMAZING hands, but he doesn't use them to their potential, if that makes sense. I think Houston should go after him, let him be a #2 to his boy Hopkins.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

You're making things up. You don't know what I or anyone else thinks him to be. That's an easy point to try to make. You don't really say anything other than just the other person is wrong.

Actually, I do.   I have read it here on this board ad nauseum.   Where have you been?

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

8 tds on 39 catches sounds like the number 1 for this staff. I'm not sure what more Dennison or this staff would hope for than that in the passing game. 

I agree with that, but 39/8 likely translates to 25/3 in this offense. Sammy played in a high powered, well coached offense in LA. Dennison needs to go before any of our players can contribute. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5
  • Haha (+1) 1