Name the biggest NFL misconception by media and fans

9 hours ago, Commonsense said:

The complexity of the game. 

95 percent of the league is made up by barbarians.

The thinkers like Brady and Peyton are a rare exception. 

I agree with this one 100%. The game’s not that hard. People tend to over complicate it.

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

"Momentum" during a game is a thing that impacts the game based on who has it and who doesn't.  It is not a thing.

"Trap game" is a thing.  It is also not a thing.

There are many of these "sports-isms" that sort of sound about right, and seem to kind of make sense, but really have no basis in reality and in fact are false. 

This is a falsehood that was perpetuated by statisticians, many of whom probably never played a sport in their lives. All you need to do is look at the Comeback game, last year’s Super Bowl or heck even yesterday’s Tennessee - Chiefs game to see how much momentum can impact a game. Players are men, not machines, and it’s a very emotional game. Swings in emotion have a large impact.

Edited by vincec

1. The Refs are impartial and honest. 

2. Instant replay eliminates bad calls on the field. 

3. Teams “control their own destiny” only starting in the month of December. 

4. The  NFL isn’t political. 

5. A receiver that catches the ball in bounds and has two feet in bounds has made a reception except when he crosses over the goal line. 

6. A runner that has the ball and breaks the plane of the goal line has instantly scored a touchdown, but a receiver who does the same thing has not. He must first complete his celebratory ceremony and autograph the ball and give it to the Ref as a souvenir for his kid before said Ref will signal “TD”. Even then, it could e overturned by the replay official in NY. 

7. People who are pissed at the players protesting the anthem are losers. 

8. The NFL caters to its fans. 

9. Owners and players aren’t greedy. 

10. The Bills fans are the most football knowledgeable in the world. 

10 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

The importance of sacks.  imo one of the least important stats.  you only really have a few per game.  But penalties (which don't even show up on most stat sheets)  are three times more common and have a somewhat similar effect on the game.

This^^^^^ and "winning the turnover battle" way over rated IMO.

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. Another one, which few here I imagine will agree with, is the importance, and more so, the significance of "halftime adjustments."

I'm not saying they don't exist. But teams, especially good ones, make adjustments in the first and second and third and fourth quarters that often have way more influence on the game. A LOT of times teams playing poorly DON'T make halftime adjustments and then play way better the second half and fans just assume they do. They believe in their game plan and think they just didnt do it right.

A great example was today. After the game a reporter asked a Titan - I think it was Mariotta even - what adjustments they made at halftime because the second half was way different than the first and he said "Nothing." And then we did what we planned on doing all along.

It goes both ways but your right.  More often then not the only changes or adjustments made are in terms of exexuction not schemes.

9 hours ago, Rico said:

Biggest NFL misconception by some media and some fans is that anthem protests haven't hurt the league.

I was just about to submit the exact opposite as my biggest NFL misconception.

My other biggest NFL misconception:  Players, coaches and/or atmosphere draws free agents.  Money draws free agents.  The average NFL career lasts between 3-6 years (depending on whether you ask the players or the owners); regardless, most guys get ONE SHOT at a big contract.  They follow the money - and I don't blame them.  

I find it funny when people say, "free agents will be more likely to come to Buffalo because they made the playoffs."  Personally, I disagree.

Tanking.

I don't think coaches and players tank seasons for a shot at a better draft pick. 

I will concede that a coach sometimes does not put his best players on the field towards the end of a bad year and understands it might cost him a win. But I still they they coach the game to win.

I also believe that there are players who quit on the team during a bad season, but that's different than tanking.

I do think front offices are willing to sacrifice (tank) a season and I think that's what the Jets did this past year.

8 hours ago, Success said:

I hate it when people say Brady is the goat because of Super Bowl wins.  It’s a team game.

Agree. Brady is amazing, and incredibly clutch, but if Rodgers had been on New England all these years, I think he would have multiple rings too.

The Pats never have a bad o-line, and their defense is often a top 10 unit. That has helped Brady immensely. When the Pats defense isn't so good, they don't win the SB, which is why I think they get upset vs the Steelers or in the SB.

On 1/7/2018 at 4:44 AM, Bleed Bills Blue said:

"Momentum" might better be thought of as "getting into a rhythm", which is an observable "thing".  You start to notice it, for example, when an offense that has been been playing haltingly begins to string together a series of successful plays and then first downs. This is mostly due, I think, to the offense poking around and eventually finding something that works against the defense on that given day.

It absolutely is " a thing". If it's not, it sure has fooled a lot of guys that played in the NFL. 

On 1/7/2018 at 7:04 AM, Iron Maiden said:

I think it's the other way around......he's got 5 SB wins because he's the GOAT....

The cheating helps ...

Many in the media seem to love Tyrod Taylor and think that Bills fans and the organization are crazy to not anoint him as a franchise QB.

I really don't know why. All you have to do is watch a couple games and see that he can't pass the ball unless he has at least 5 seconds to process AND a wide open WR, and even then he sometimes won't see it.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:01 PM, Steve Billieve said:

The importance of sacks.  imo one of the least important stats.  you only really have a few per game.  But penalties (which don't even show up on most stat sheets)  are three times more common and have a somewhat similar effect on the game.

Sacks involve a loss of down, whereas most penalties for the offense do not. That's the big difference. A five yard false start penalty would be devastating if it also involved a loss of down.