Name the biggest NFL misconception by media and fans

There are a lot of them. I have a bunch in my head. I was writing this post in the Alex Smith thread but decided to make it an open thread to discuss a lot of them.

The one I will start with is that just because a player is better than another, he is better for your team than the lesser player.

This happens all the time.

The Bills aren't good enough overall, nor will they be likely in the next year or two, for a game manager guy like Alex Smith, whom I like a lot, to win it all. It's possible, of course, that the line and coaching and WR on offense will take a giant leap next season but it isn't likely. And while Smith is pretty mobile, and a LOT more accurate than Tyrod, his actual production unless the line and coaching and WR are substantially upgraded, will likely be marginal.

IMO there are like 5-6 QBs in the league who are better overall quarterbacks who would be worse than Tyrod on this team. He disguises a lot of deficiencies.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I like that one. I don't think they need to cheat to win, and yet they still do, which to me makes their cheating worse.

Well - I'm saying it is a misconception.  I believe fully they were good BECAUSE they cheated, and have benefited from it ever since (aside from likely (IMO) still cheating - Brady learning how to play the position of QB for years by knowing what the defense was before snapping the ball is an advantage unprecedented in sports history)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Well - I'm saying it is a misconception.  I believe fully they were good BECAUSE they cheated, and have benefited from it ever since (aside from likely (IMO) still cheating - Brady learning how to play the position of QB for years by knowing what the defense was before snapping the ball is an advantage unprecedented in sports history)

I understand. It's funny that we both think the same thing is a huge misconception, for diametrically opposed reasons. I do think they cheat. A lot. I also just think they are great without it.

4 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Anything RE: The Petermania Game. 

I don't think there was any misconception to that at all. He was historically awful and not ready. It was an egregious mistake. The idea from anyone that the Bills would have won with Tyrod is just ridiculous, and I think it was possible but unlikely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I understand. It's funny that we both think the same thing is a huge misconception, for diametrically opposed reasons. I do think they cheat. A lot. I also just think they are great without it.

Ha - I get it.

If you do think they cheat though - there has to be some amount of reasonable doubt in your mind that they wouldn't be as good ('great') without it?  That it contributes (perhaps greatly) to the success?  

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

Ha - I get it.

If you do think they cheat though - there has to be some amount of reasonable doubt in your mind that they wouldn't be as good ('great') without it?  That it contributes (perhaps greatly) to the success?  

Good question. My feeling about it has a bunch of different factors. I don't think they can cheat all the time. It's obvious to me regardless of the cheating that Belichick is a genius on offense and defense, and devises great game plans, and finds nobody OL that keep this thing going, and finds guys like Dion Lewis that perform great for him. And that Brady is the most accurate passer I have ever seen regardless of cheating, and makes plays in the clutch that are so consistent they are inarguable.

"Momentum" during a game is a thing that impacts the game based on who has it and who doesn't.  It is not a thing.

"Trap game" is a thing.  It is also not a thing.

There are many of these "sports-isms" that sort of sound about right, and seem to kind of make sense, but really have no basis in reality and in fact are false. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

"Momentum" during a game is a thing that impacts the game based on who has it and who doesn't.  It is not a thing.

"Trap game" is a thing.  It is also not a thing.

There are many of these "sports-isms" that sort of sound about right, and seem to kind of make sense, but really have no basis in reality and in fact are false. 

Yep. Another one, which few here I imagine will agree with, is the importance, and more so, the significance of "halftime adjustments."

I'm not saying they don't exist. But teams, especially good ones, make adjustments in the first and second and third and fourth quarters that often have way more influence on the game. A LOT of times teams playing poorly DON'T make halftime adjustments and then play way better the second half and fans just assume they do. They believe in their game plan and think they just didnt do it right.

A great example was today. After the game a reporter asked a Titan - I think it was Mariotta even - what adjustments they made at halftime because the second half was way different than the first and he said "Nothing." And then we did what we planned on doing all along.

Edited by Kelly the Dog