A look at what Aaron Maybin is up to these days.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/04/ex-linebacker-turned-teacher-aaron-maybin-trying-help-heat-baltimore-schools

Hint: he's an elementary school teacher in Baltimore city schools who is now fighting to get the heat back on in Baltimore schools in the dead of winter.  This is a really cool story.  I'm as guilty as anyone for knocking the guy's on-field performance, but he never asked to be undersized for his position, and I give him all the credit in the world for finding a profession that he loves, while also giving back to his home town.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

WTF is wrong with Baltimore City Schools?!  Jeebus...:(

An unfortunate reality persisting in the inner city schools throughout the country. Under funded for the under privileged, yet we just expect everybody to rise above their circumstances and break the cycle. His comment was spot on too, All this money going into building these privately funded jails/prisons where a good % of these children will end up in once the public school systems fail them... Bills Fans aren't made of $$$, but I would love to donate to Aaron and his cause... Good on you Mr. Maybin.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Chadwick Bay Chad said:

So what.  If the man is happy, more power to him.. He went through some personal tragedies and had to face the wrath of the Bills fans but it sounds like he is making a positive contribution to society. It is not always about the money. Many of these stars lose their money and freedom.  Good for you Aaron!  We ae proud of you

LOL

I remember after he signed with the jets after being cut by the bills, a story came out that he had lost his  son or daughter(can't remember which). It was pretty heartbreaking. I'm 99.9% positive it happened while he was with the bills but it never came out 

8 minutes ago, HT02 said:

We're supposed to be impressed that he's become a SJW?  Please... for the record Baltimore spends the second highest amount per student for any school district in the country.  http://www.newsweek.com/do-baltimore-schools-need-more-money-329085.  Want to be a real "hero" and help kids?  Take on the NEA and AFT.

No. Just celebrate that he’s doing something, teaching massively underprivilged kids, get an education. That’s great and makes me happy. 

Lots of other issues to talk about but the person in the class teaching the kids every day matters more to the kids than any administrator, union member, politician, or TBD poster. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

No. Just celebrate that he’s doing something, teaching massively underprivilged kids, get an education. That’s great and makes me happy. 

Lots of other issues to talk about but the person in the class teaching the kids every day matters more to the kids than any administrator, union member, politician, or TBD poster. 

I will second this-it is not Maybins fault that the City spends it money in a terrible manner. I am a teacher in a Florida county that is more successful than 95% of NYS districts but spends much less per student. My county wastes a ton of money on absurd things but relatively speaking we are much more efficient than any district up north so I generally keep my mouth shut. 

20 minutes ago, HT02 said:

We're supposed to be impressed that he's become a SJW?  Please... for the record Baltimore spends the second highest amount per student for any school district in the country.  http://www.newsweek.com/do-baltimore-schools-need-more-money-329085.  Want to be a real "hero" and help kids?  Take on the NEA and AFT.

This is what sociopathy looks like folks.  Also, about as tone deaf as Rod Watson's recent article.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, HT02 said:

So you're saying these kids don't need heating and the lights on? Proper facilities and equipment?

If not, then Baltimore doesn't spend enough.

And if it spends the second highest amount per student, what does that say about our public education system if there are still students in these conditions? Your comment was pointless, and just tries to deflect from the issue. It's CLEARLY not enough, and we do spend way the hell too much on jails. 

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 2

Since my life's work has been schooling and teaching, my hat's off to Mr. Maybin.  We need good teachers and good schools start with community support.  Communities get the schools they are willing to support.  We loose many great teachers, especially minority ones, because salaries are better elsewhere.  Our city schools generally need more funding to keep the heat on, and to keep good teachers.  The per pupil spending is higher because the class sizes have got to be smaller for disadvantaged communities.  You can put 30+ middle-class kids in as class, but schools where the poverty is high, the classes better be much smaller.   Most people don't understand the challenges that city kids bring.  They are beautiful kids, and the teachers who commit to them deserve our thanks.  Thanks Mr. Maybin!!

Edited by Ga boy
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

So you're saying these kids don't need heating and the lights on? Proper facilities and equipment?

And if it spends the second highest amount per student, what does that say about our public education system if there are still students in these conditions? Your comment was pointless, and just tries to deflect from the issue. It's CLEARLY not enough, and we do spend way the hell too much on jails. 

How much is enough? Every year school budgets increase at much greater rates than inflation, yet results continue to spiral downward.

Do you have any idea of the size of the 2017-2018 school budget for Baltimore?  It's a mind boggling $1.31 Billion. 

9 minutes ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

How much is enough? Every year school budgets increase at much greater rates than inflation, yet results continue to spiral downward.

Do you have any idea of the size of the 2017-2018 school budget for Baltimore?  It's a mind boggling $1.31 Billion. 

How much do we spend on prisons and incarceration each year? More than every country in the world. Maybe you should read this - https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/report-increases-spending-corrections-far-outpace-education

Increase in spending on incarceration far outpaces spending on education. 

You do realize why it's $1.3 Billion in spending yet still so many awful education environments like these right? Because just as with everything in this country, the money at the top was misused. This study by the state says they need to spend $2.6 Billion MORE - http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/blog/bs-md-state-funding-formula-report-20161207-story.html

And yes, I do know throwing tons of money at things doesn't just fix everything. It's about accountability. But pretending funding isn't essential is insane.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

WTF??  No heat and no lights? I had no idea this kinda stuff was happening up in America.

A heartfelt "Thank you!" to all of the teachers on this board, reading this.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a shame that the kids are the victims of such reckless idiocy of the local government in Baltimore.   the district spends over $15k per pupil per year yet can't figure out how to keep the heat on.  SOMEBODY is making out like a bandit there

• Like (+1) 1

No worries.  Aaron will get around those lousy local politicians and crooked administrators if he has to go around, looping around to the outside, all the way around the problem.

[sorry, I don't feel good about that.  I really do like & respect the guy.  I just couldn't resist.]

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cugalabanza said:

No worries.  Aaron will get around those lousy local politicians and crooked administrators if he has to go around, looping around to the outside, all the way around the problem.

[sorry, I don't feel good about that.  I really do like & respect the guy.  I just couldn't resist.]

I lol'd

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He went from making a millions to about a $40,000 salary.

That's somehow a negative? Everything has to be quantified? So don't applaud him for taking his money and sitting on a beach and instead grinding away in the most thankless, underpaid yet important profession in America: inner city teacher/role model/mentor? Got it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, zonabb said:

That's somehow a negative? Everything has to be quantified? So don't applaud him for taking his money and sitting on a beach and instead grinding away in the most thankless, underpaid yet important profession in America: inner city teacher/role model/mentor? Got it.

Get your panties out your wad...it’s just a passing comment.  I used to be a teacher in inner city Los Angeles so I’ve done the work before and know how little you get paid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Where and how the money is spent must also be questioned.  You are correct that the kids deserve better.  Getting them “better” may not necessarily mean more money overall but money being spent with more prudence, care and concern.

2 hours ago, ThunderGun said:

An unfortunate reality persisting in the inner city schools throughout the country. Under funded for the under privileged, yet we just expect everybody to rise above their circumstances and break the cycle. His comment was spot on too, All this money going into building these privately funded jails/prisons where a good % of these children will end up in once the public school systems fail them... Bills Fans aren't made of $$$, but I would love to donate to Aaron and his cause... Good on you Mr. Maybin.  

Its not just an 'inner city' problem, my kids school  i guess you would call a 'middle income' area

had no hot water for an entire year. They never have hand washing soap, and are constantly asking parents for supply donations.

money isn't going to education anymore, its going to shiny new police cars, cameras, hiring more police, paying full time fire personel

when a volunteer force could do the job, these guy are doing absurd  amounts of ot to build on ridiculous pensions, this is probably

the tip of the iceberg where tax money is going in many towns in this country. 

2 hours ago, ThunderGun said:

The inner cities make their choices. They can live with them.  Not one bit of love loss. This is on Baltimore to fix. The pity party, oh boo hoo...  Screw'm.

Good for Maybin to be happy or something but I don't care what he's doing so long as he is, as I said, happy.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

This is what sociopathy looks like folks.  Also, about as tone deaf as Rod Watson's recent article.

Who is rod Watson?  

Who are you?

Who cares?

Baltimore is responsible for Baltimore. Those that don't like it should leave with those who realize it's a terrible place.   

They need a hashtag for this movement.  #?

2 hours ago, HT02 said:

Do you think, at all, that that money is evenly distributed across those Baltimore schools?  Do you think, at all, about the level of PTSD some kids arrive at school facing?   Do you think, at all, that they are receiving the kind of counseling they need when the ratios in urban schools are incredibly bad for these services?  If you want to pin the issue on the teachers trying to solve the problem and the last line of defense in some cases, go ahead.  Otherwise, I'd encourage you to spend some time with my friend, the school administrator in the capital district who is dealing with kids who have seen things from your worst nightmares.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this article and showing us there is much more to life than football, and that representation really matters when it comes to who kids see teaching them.

11 minutes ago, Albwan said:

Its not just an 'inner city' problem, my kids school  i guess you would call a 'middle income' area

had no hot water for an entire year. They never have hand washing soap, and are constantly asking parents for supply donations.

money isn't going to education anymore, its going to shiny new police cars, cameras, hiring more police, paying full time fire personel

when a volunteer force could do the job, these guy are doing absurd  amounts of ot to build on ridiculous pensions, this is probably

No it's not, it's going towards pension obligations to retired teachers that cannot be sustained.  In California, nearly 30 % of school funding goes to funding retired teachers' pensions.  The fund costs will double in 7 years.

Less and less of the education dollars are being used to educate students--or even to pay current teachers.  The whole pension system is outdated, impossible fund and impossible to defend, as only  a relatively small number of citizens get the benefit of this budget (i.e., not the students or the other taxpayers.).

It doesn't deflect one bit from the issue. The issue is Maybin and all these Betty's are crying about no heat and no power when there are other issues that have been systemic for a long time. Pretending this is just now an issue negated the fact that it has been a historical issue; teachers/educators abuse the system and there is a ton of waste is education. 

Maybins cause may get some eyebrows raised and some $$. And he's right to fight for it, fight for what you believe in and use any status you can to advance your cause.

How much do we spend on prisons and incarceration each year? More than every country in the world. Maybe you should read this - https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/report-increases-spending-corrections-far-outpace-education

Increase in spending on incarceration far outpaces spending on education. 

You do realize why it's $1.3 Billion in spending yet still so many awful education environments like these right? Because just as with everything in this country, the money at the top was misused. This study by the state says they need to spend $2.6 Billion MORE - http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/blog/bs-md-state-funding-formula-report-20161207-story.html

And yes, I do know throwing tons of money at things doesn't just fix everything. It's about accountability. But pretending funding isn't essential is insane.

And here is a shifted goal.post!  

See, folks. Right here.

The problem with the education system isn't that we spend too much on it.  It's that we spend a lot of money on prison!   Yep!  If the prison system didn't waste money you could use that to keep pumping money to Baltimore!

19 minutes ago, Albwan said:

Proof to back up your absurd claim?  Or do you just want to spout off feelings?

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It doesn't deflect one bit from the issue. The issue is Maybin and all these Betty's are crying about no heat and no power when there are other issues that have been systemic for a long time. Pretending this is just now an issue negated the fact that it has been a historical issue; teachers/educators abuse the system and there is a ton of waste is education. 

Maybins cause may get some eyebrows raised and some $$. And he's right to fight for it, fight for what you believe in and use any status you can to advance your cause.

Why is it "crying" instead of advocating?  And why can't both sets of problems be worth solving?

If your kids went to school and their heat was not functioning at the coldest time of year, they would deserve to have that problem resolved just as Maybin's students do.

5 minutes ago, RuntheDamnBall said:

Do you think, at all, that that money is evenly distributed across those Baltimore schools?  Do you think, at all, about the level of PTSD some kids arrive at school facing?   Do you think, at all, that they are receiving the kind of counseling they need when the ratios in urban schools are incredibly bad for these services?  If you want to pin the issue on the teachers trying to solve the problem and the last line of defense in some cases, go ahead.  Otherwise, I'd encourage you to spend some time with my friend, the school administrator in the capital district who is dealing with kids who have seen things from your worst nightmares.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this article and showing us there is much more to life than football, and that representation really matters when it comes to who kids see teaching them.

Why shouldn't schools who perform better be given more opportunities?  Why shouldn't those teachers, those students and those administrations be rewarded?  Is that not the basis for our society?

It used to be.

2 hours ago, HT02 said:

You are a small person.

2 hours ago, HT02 said:

5a4ea02be0ff7_angryoldman.thumb.jpg.2123d181eed663d15f3b9520db330ff0.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RuntheDamnBall said:

Why is it "crying" instead of advocating?  And why can't both sets of problems be worth solving?

If your kids went to school and their heat was not functioning at the coldest time of year, they would deserve to have that problem resolved just as Maybin's students do.

I'd move.  My 3 kids deserve a better school than something like that. 

And, crying about it to the papers won't resolve the issue. It will just band aid the issue. 

This won't solve a thing. 

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

You are a small person.

#talkintough

2 hours ago, HT02 said:

Wow.  You sound like loads of fun.  I genuinely wish I could swear in this forum.

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Why shouldn't schools who perform better be given more opportunities?  Why shouldn't those teachers, those students and those administrations be rewarded?  Is that not the basis for our society?

It used to be.

I don't see what at all this has to do with a public education mandate to give opportunities to all students.

This shouldn't really be about rewards.  Funding isn't a reward or a punishment.  You make the environment safe and one that promotes good learning habits.  Full stop.

Just now, Boyst62 said:

I'd move.  My 3 kids deserve a better school than something like that. 

And, crying about it to the papers won't resolve the issue. It will just band aid the issue. 

Again "crying" - the first thing you do if you want your community to be better is to move?  That's lucky for you to have that mobility.  Some people "cry" or, you know, work, to help their community.  Fine if that's not your way, but criticizing people who do make that effort is bush league.

Guess what though?  All kids deserve a better school than something like that.  Not just yours.

• Like (+1) 1