Rapaport: Expects Whaley to interview for GM job in GB

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The EJ thing is on him whether he was the actual GM at the time or not, that’s who he wanted. Had he gotten the QB right his whole story is probably different 

It's definitely on him but no one in the world knows how to evaluate college QB's - so if you miss he did it the best way possible.  

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

Every time this has to be posted. Why?

Because I don’t believe they are really considering him for the spot based on his history with us. Therefore that is the reason I came to based on my view of him as a gm. Also, they should just get rid of the rule imo but that’s another conversation 

5 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

rooney rule?

Exactly!

No way he is hired as a GM by an NFL team after his record in Buffalo!

BTW, it was ex-Colts GM Ryan Grigson in INDY that initiated the Hughes trade because he wanted the last first-round pick by Polian gone from the team... the idiot! Likewise with ex-Eagle HC Chip Kelly for the Shady trade.

It was Rex Ryan that asked for TT and vouched for Incognito. If left to his own devices this team would still be looking for some semblance of a starting QB and the line would still be looking for a decent starting LG. I for one am grateful for the new regime in Buffalo minus Whaley, Brandon having any say in player personnel.

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Exactly!

No way he is hired as a GM by an NFL team after his record in Buffalo!

BTW, it was ex-Colts GM Ryan Grigson in INDY that initiated the Hughes trade because he wanted the last first-round pick by Polian gone from the team... the idiot! Likewise with ex-Eagle HC Chip Kelly for the Shady trade.

It was Rex Ryan that asked for TT and vouched for Incognito. If left to his own devices this team would still be looking for some semblance of a starting QB and the line would still be looking for a decent starting LG. I for one am grateful for the new regime in Buffalo minus Whaley, Brandon having any say in player personnel.

If those are the reasons for the those trades, they sound awfully similar to the motivation for trades that we made in the past year. I like that we were the winners in those trades, and now we are making moves for the same reasons the losers in those trades made.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

Do people think they're onto something when they mention 'Rooney Rule' every time a black person gets an interview, or is that they have nothing better to offer to the conversation?

Thanks for saying this. It really is demeaning of whatever person they are referring to immediately bring up the "Rooney Rule" as if there  is no possible other reason that the person might be interviewed.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

A degenerative knee condition, yes.  And the best TE to hit UFA since at least 2011.

It's a position with an absolute dearth at talent in today's NFL.  Hell, Charles Clay wasn't the worst TE contract signed that YEAR.

The worst that year was Jordan Cameron, in my opinion, but Clay's was still pretty bad. Wish Miami didnt get in a pseudo-bidding war with us for him.

6 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The worst that year was Jordan Cameron, in my opinion, but Clay's was still pretty bad. Wish Miami didnt get in a pseudo-bidding war with us for him.

The Julius Thomas deal was even worse.

5 year, $46M, played in 21 games, caught 76 balls for 730 yards and 9 TD's in that span. Then traded for a 7th rounder.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the 2014 was a little better but that team had its warts too. The offensive line was a mess (maybe the worst guard play I have ever seen from Williams, Urbik, Pears and Richardson) and once CJ went down we had nothing at running back and of course we started the year with EJ at QB. 

The team that was definitely more talented was 2015. That roster was stacked. The best Bills roster I have seen in my 15 years. Other than maybe linebacker and safety there was depth everywhere. It wasn't Doug's fault we hired a clown to waste it. 

Yup.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the 2014 was a little better but that team had its warts too. The offensive line was a mess (maybe the worst guard play I have ever seen from Williams, Urbik, Pears and Richardson) and once CJ went down we had nothing at running back and of course we started the year with EJ at QB. 

The team that was definitely more talented was 2015. That roster was stacked. The best Bills roster I have seen in my 15 years. Other than maybe linebacker and safety there was depth everywhere. It wasn't Doug's fault we hired a clown to waste it. 

Remember when we had to debate between keeping Hogan at all versus Easley because we had Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Goodwin already?  Besides Harvin, who retired after being a quality starter for almost all of his career, and Easley, the rest are quality starters across the league in their prime.  

4 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

Thats not true but thats also not surprising considering your takes.

Sure its not again google your friend

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hngn.com/amp/articles/80323/20150326/philadelphia-eagles-rumors-kelly-asked-for-robert-woods-in-lesean-mccoy-trade-with-buffalo-bills.htm

Edited by MAJBobby

Whaley has an eye for talent in many ways, probably better at pro personnel assessment, but his failure came to understanding value more than anything else. Trading UP from #9 to #4 for a WR is not a good idea in the modern NFL....you can see teams like Pats and Seahawks who have over the years routinely done well with guys drafted in the mid-rounds but have that elite QB and in Seattle's case an elite Defense. You just don't make that kind of leap, and despite the belief he was helping EJ Manuel, you just don't leverage another 1st round pick to select a WR....time has not been kind to that decision but what exacerbates it, is the fact that some other truly great WRs came later in that draft and you could argue much better, i.e. Beckham. 

However, in terms of recognizing talent in various positions - and as someone already mentioned - specifically Defense, Whaley is certainly capable. However, as someone else also said - I agree that it should be for a #2 position. He gets credit for some of the current players, as much as he gets the blame for the failures, and to that end, he just needs someone who can balance his assessment at certain positions, especially the most important one: QB. 

9 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Thanks for saying this. It really is demeaning of whatever person they are referring to immediately bring up the "Rooney Rule" as if there  is no possible other reason that the person might be interviewed.  

yea it's pretty sad. cognitive dissonance will immediately make some defensive, but look objectively and you'll see a pattern.

14 hours ago, yungmack said:

He built TWO rosters for the Bills, for Marrone and for Ryan, brought in a ton of pro FAs who've contributed, and oversaw the most recent draft. His draft picks are all over the NFL, most doing just fine. And still some people think GM is beyond his capabilities. I wonder why that is?

Because his team stunk. And he never got along with coaches. And the stupid things he said. 

I wonder why people seem to thing a man who failed pretty badly, did such a dandy job?