Rapaport: Expects Whaley to interview for GM job in GB

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Magox said:

His three main problems were

A) Didn't have a clear vision and plan of action.

B) Didn't know how to properly value talent

C) Was unable to sell himself enough to ownership to have more control

I disagree

A - the vision and plan changed

B -   I don't even know what you mean by that

C -  he controlled the draft and free agency except his exit draft, what control did he not have, contracts?  He was the GM - he certainly convinced them he should be that.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree on B. I do on A and C. 

I didn't say evaluate but place a proper value.  Sammy Watkins was talented but not 2 first rounders worth.  Dareus was talented but not the contract that he receives.  

1 minute ago, Magox said:

I didn't say evaluate but place a proper value.  Sammy Watkins was talented but not 2 first rounders worth.  Dareus was talented but not the contract that he receives.  

I wholeheartedly disagree on Dareus. Is he a character issue? Sure... and you need to get his head on straight but talent wise? I think he is worth every penny. 

There was a lot of snark earlier in the year about McBeane saying they aren’t out to accumulate talent, they are trying to build a winning team. I never disliked that comment. Because I always felt that while Whaley accumulated talent on paper,  he never had a real team that could consistently win together on the field.

I do believe part of that was the coaching/scheme change between Marrone/Rex. But,  I’m sure he also wasn’t blameless in Marrone’s decision to leave. It’s a tough sample size as I like neither coach, but he was unable to have a symbiotic HC/GM relationship with two straight coaches. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, yungmack said:

He built TWO rosters for the Bills, for Marrone and for Ryan, brought in a ton of pro FAs who've contributed, and oversaw the most recent draft. His draft picks are all over the NFL, most doing just fine. And still some people think GM is beyond his capabilities. I wonder why that is?

Because he's BLACK!

Actually, because of three reasons (to steal from GunnerBill)...

1 - Communication - he's terrible at it, specifically to the media (public speaking), absolutely nothing to do with skin color

2 - Leadership qualities - no evidence that he had much of them, considering he was such a nervous nelly in front of the media, absolutely nothing to do with skin color

3 - Vision - Maybe this was effected by lack of coaching staff stability, but I don't think so. Trading up for Sammy was proof that he didn't have much vision, if any - again, absolutely nothing to do with skin color

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There was a lot of snark earlier in the year about McBeane saying they aren’t out to accumulate talent, they are trying to build a winning team. I never disliked that comment. Because I always felt that while Whaley accumulated talent on paper,  he never had a real team that could consistently win together on the field.

I do believe part of that was the coaching/scheme change between Marrone/Rex. But,  I’m sure he also wasn’t blameless in Marrone’s decision to leave. It’s a tough sample size as I like neither coach, but he was unable to have a symbiotic HC/GM relationship with two straight coaches. 

I think you're right - that he clearly never seemed to have a good relationship with the coach(s).  I do disagree slightly and believe a couple of the defenses he assembled could win - the offense never got right.  

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wholeheartedly disagree on Dareus. Is he a character issue? Sure... and you need to get his head on straight but talent wise? I think he is worth every penny. 

He has been worth every penny of his contract?  Not even close, he has been a massive bust since he has signed his contract

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well Bobby, I see you've come around on Tyrod ;)

Ha ha good one 

48 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Chip Kelly?

Whaley made the trade didnt he. Got them to take Kiko when they wanted Woods

Just now, Rico said:

doug-whaley.jpg

"Aaron Rodgers is OK, but he's getting old. Let me tell you about EJ! "

McD better pan out or there could be great indignity for Bills fans in the future with so many of their former HC's in HC or coordinator jobs with talented young teams and the coup de gras would be Whaley riding Rodgers coat tails to a SB as GM with GB.    

Plus side.........Trump is lifting fracking regulations so Pegs will be getting much richer and powerful in the NFL.    From Bummy Buffalo Bills to Green Back Frackers! 

15 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Nope, that was Chip’s doing. All Whaley did was answer the phone and say yes. That took absolutely no effort or GM skills whatsoever. 

If thats all he did Robert Woods would have been playing for Chip. 

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

1 - Communication - he's terrible at it, specifically to the media (public speaking), 

I never cared that he wasn't great with the media in and of itself but it was what that might be symptomatic of. I am a leader in my profession I have to communicate with confidence to my team, by stakeholders and my bosses. When you see a guy fluff his lines with media it begs the question - is he able to communicate clearly with his scouts, players, coaches and ownership? Maybe if he was a better communicator he'd have persuades the Pegulas not to hire Rex. 

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

He has been worth every penny of his contract?  Not even close, he has been a massive bust since he has signed his contract

But you can't know the future. You pay on talent. His talent is unquestionable in my eyes. I'd have done that contract every single time. You can make the point about whether there should have been more behavioural clauses that is fair... but is his talent worth the money? For me it is no question.

Whaley's worst contract here was not Dareus. Not by a long way. It was Charles Clay who was never talented enough to get at the time a top 3 TE contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I think you're right - that he clearly never seemed to have a good relationship with the coach(s).  I do disagree slightly and believe a couple of the defenses he assembled could win - the offense never got right.  

The EJ thing is on him whether he was the actual GM at the time or not, that’s who he wanted. Had he gotten the QB right his whole story is probably different 

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McD better pan out or there could be great indignity for Bills fans in the future with so many of their former HC's in HC or coordinator jobs with talented young teams and the coup de gras would be Whaley riding Rodgers coat tails to a SB as GM with GB.    

Plus side.........Trump is lifting fracking regulations so Pegs will be getting much richer and powerful in the NFL.    From Bummy Buffalo Bills to Green Back Frackers! 

You know, I think The Donald and McD have a lot in common, they're both great at obliterating previous administration legacies. :D

And others may get upset at seeing ex-Bills players or suits have success elsewhere, but I don't care, once they leave they're dead to me. Now that Ralph's out of the way, it's all clear sailing for me.