THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - All So Improbable

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

All So Improbable

“Can a man change the stars?"

"Yes William. If he believes enough, a man can do anything!”

The Buffalo Bills just ended one of the most improbable years in the history of the franchise.  One year ago, the Bills had benched Tyrod Taylor to preserve their ability to cut him.  They had fired Rex Ryan, adding momentum to the head coach carousel at One Bills Drive.  The press declared the Bills a “dumpster fire” and decried the Pegulas’ failed management of the team. 

Now the Bills are in the NFL playoffs for the first time in 18 years. 

Improbable.

The Bills limped past the Miami Dolphins Sunday, 22-16, in a characteristic win for them:  Not enough offense to take control of the game, an opportunistic defense that seems to be hanging on for dear life but often gets the job done, some good breaks (refs were throwing flags against the Dolphins like New Year’s confetti), and more nail biting down the stretch than good teams should endure.

And then the team and Bills fans everywhere watched the closing minutes of the Bengals at the Ravens.  The Ravens had taken control of the game in the second half, outscoring the Bengals 17-7.  As the Bengals began their last possession, it seemed the Ravens were on their way to the win that would clinch the last wildcard spot.  The Bengals began slowly, almost stumbling their way to a few first downs but showing no signs of having the fire power necessary to get in field goal range to force overtime, let alone score a touchdown to win.  The Ravens did their part with some timely penalties, including a defensive holding call that negated an interception what would have ended the game.  Then, on 4th and 12 – desperation time, Andy Dalton completed a pass to Tyler Boyd for the first down, no, wait, a touchdown!  The Bengals go home with a meaningless but typical AFC North win, and the Bills go to the playoffs.  Improbable.

Random thoughts:

1.  How cool was it that Kyle Williams got his first NFL touchdown and his first ride to the playoffs in what may be his last regular season game?  So many interesting things about that:  First, what Bills player in recent memory deserved a special moment like that more than Kyle?   (Maybe one; more about that later.)  Here’s a guy who looked like he should have been a leader on the team five years ago, but he never seemed comfortable in the role.  He deferred to others, even to notable non-leaders like Mario Williams, because, I guess, it didn’t feel right to him.  Then this season, prodded no doubt by Sean McDermott and because now, finally, it did feel right to him, Kyle has stood before the team time and again, the acknowledged leader of the Buffalo Bills.

Second, of all the things that Sean McDermott seems to be doing right as a head coach, isn’t it nice that one of those things is to be comfortable enough in the job to recognize the potential for a special moment and make it happen?   He wanted the moment for Kyle and for his team, so he installed the play.  Then, in the biggest game of his head coaching career, he called it.  McDermott already had an oversized running back on his team who was perfectly capably of taking the one-yard plunge for what turned out to be the game-winning score, but for McDermott it’s about more than the wins. 

Third, with Kyle in the game and the play called, the offensive knew they had to perform.  This was for the score, sure, but it was more.  It was for their leader, the guy who repeatedly had told them how much this all meant to him.  They weren’t going to let him down.  Would they have blocked the play so perfectly for Tolbert?   Maybe, but for Kyle they had an extra incentive.  McDermott’s willingness to go for the special moment helped raise the level of his team’s play and get the score.

2.  Who knew that Richie Incognito hadn’t been to the playoffs in ten seasons in the league?  It’s a nice moment for him, a guy who’s been through a lot and worked to change his life.

3.  Such an unhappy moment for LeSean McCoy, who as much as anyone is responsible for the Bills being where they are today.  The guy is a great competitor, and he wanted this win badly.  He didn’t have his best game, mostly because tacklers were all over him, but Shady’s presence on the field is enough to make the game easier for the rest of the offense. 

No better way to honor a fallen teammate than for the offensive line, Tolbert and Murphy to get the job done.  McDermott’s players seem truly to believe the next-man-up philosophy.

4.  Now the Bills need to find another running back as they return to the playoffs.  It won’t happen, of course, but the sentimental choice is Fred Jackson.  He’s only been out of the league two seasons, so knowing Freddie, he’s probably still in shape.  He went to the playoffs with Seattle, but the man deserves a post-season game in a Bills uniform.  Kyle is getting his moment, and it sure would be nice if Jackson got his.

5.  Tyrod Taylor, the guy who very well could have been released by the Bills nine months ago, had another Tyrod Taylor day – nice production, no turnovers but still somehow not quite enough.  An overthrow of O’Leary in the endzone (Taylor had pressure in his face).  Saved by a penalty after a disastrous fumble at the end of a nice run.   Two underthrows to Thompson that looked worse than they were:  no QB puts those throws in exactly the right place every time, and both throws allowed Thompson to make a play (the only bad throw on those plays is an overthrow).  The first time Thompson didn’t make the play, but the second time he forced the interference call to set up the last touchdown.   Thompson’s been a great find.

Where am I on Taylor?  I think Taylor will ask for a trade, and maybe the Bills are done with him.  It does seem strange, however, to cut loose the QB who took you to the playoffs.  If I’m the Bills, I don’t do anything extraordinary in the draft – I take a first-round QB if one falls to me, but I don’t burn picks to move up (except I like the kid at Oklahoma – he has Kelly-like grit).  I’m content to ride Taylor for another season and use my picks to build the rest of the roster.  Why?  Because I think that with a stronger roster, a healthy Benjamin, an improving Zay Jones and Thompson, Dennison (yes, I’m guessing he’ll be back) can build a better offense around Taylor. 

6.  I’ve been down on Preston Brown all season, but the man seemed to be all over the field against the Dolphins.  Maybe he CAN be the guy, especially if he gets some help on the front four.   I think he and Milano are examples of one of McDermott’s best (and Belichick-like) traits.  They guys seem to have benefitted from McDermott’s patience with them, and with his teaching.  McDermott has let them learn and grow into their roles, and we see it in their play.  (It’s McDermott’s patience that makes me think Dennison will be back.  McDermott will want to work with Dennison to make the offense better.)

7.  Jerry Hughes didn’t make big plays, but he was active and a problem for the Dolphins.

8.  Landry has given Bills fans plenty of reason to dislike him over the years, but, man, I’d like to see him in a Bills uniform next season.  That guy can play.   It sure didn’t hurt to have him, and Drake, off the field for the end of the game.  Give the Bills credit for staying composed through that melee, earning them the ejections and some penalty field position.

That ref has to stop smiling; he looks like he isn’t taking the game seriously.   He finally did get the calls on Landry and Drake correct.  I suppose the overturn on Brown’s touchdown was correct.  The PI on Thompson was the kind of call that good teams get, and deserve.  Thompson and Taylor’s throw put the defender in position to interfere.  The Bills got one incredibly generous spot for a first down. 

9.  Lots of empty seats in Miami.  We’ve come to expect that, especially in a meaningless game for the Dolphins.  Reverse the roles and put that game in Buffalo, and Bills fans would be out in force.  I mean, who wouldn’t want to beat the Dolphins and keep them out of the playoffs?  I wasn’t surprised to see the Miami fans’ lack of interest, but how about all the empty seats in Baltimore?  Come on!  Their team is playing a division rival and playing for a wildcard bid, and the fans can’t show up for the game?  Or worse, they came and then left before the end? 

10.  And speaking of the fans, kudos to all of the Bills making noise at Hard Rock.  Nothing better than taking over that place.  And the same for all the fans who showed up the airport to greet the Bills when they came home.  The videos of that give me chills and tears. 

And now, improbably, we can say it:  ON TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I agree on Taylor - it would be strange to get rid of the guy who broke the drought.  Keep him for a year, stay put in the draft and build a strong team with those picks.  

I love that that the drought started in insanely dramatic fashion, and ended that way.  It almost felt like it had to end with a “miracle.”  We need to find a name for that Boyd TD for easy reference,  like we’ve had for years with the Music City Miracle (though that’s really the national name for it - for Bills fans, it’s just that forward lateral)

• Like (+1) 1

Nicely done my friend,

I have no problem going with T Mobile another season because Tyrod displays all the qualities HC McD is looking for in a player IMO.

T T protects the football well which goes hand in hand with what our coaching staff is trying to accomplish on the football field in my humble opinion.

I'm a Billiever... 

Love reading these posts, Shaw.  Great job.

It doesn't make sense to keep Tyrod and Dennison together; it appears that the offense that Dennison wants to run and the type of QB that Tyrod is are completely incompatible.  I think it is keep one or the other.  I wouldn't mind seeing both switched out, especially if we can get some trade value for Tyrod and if we could land a vet like Alex Smith.  Agree that it probably isn't a good idea to give away a lot of draft capital to trade up to the top five picks for a QB, but I do think we need to draft one in the first round if one falls to us.

Preston Brown is worth keeping around, if not just for depth.  I suspect McDermott will want to upgrade that position and try his best to find his version Luke Keuchly.

Miami has been a middle of the pack team for a long time.  I think most of the younger fans are not as dedicated to the team as the older crowd from the Shula days, who like Shula, are getting older.   Could be the reason for the Dolphins sparse attendance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Well done Shaw.

I cannot stand Landry on the Dolphins, Kiko is getting on my nerves big time as well.

Gase not kicking the 2 FG's early on were huge contributors to the win yesterday.

I say it all the time:  take the points the game gives you.  Points add up to points; taking chances often adds up to zilch.  

• Like (+1) 2

Improbable indeed.

What Sorcery is this?

About Tyrod Taylor, I think he controls his own destiny here. If he plays well and we advance, it will be an extremely difficult move to sell to the public, to get rid of him.

For me, barring that, I would be ready to move on from him if another decent option came along. The reason being is the Bills have been peddling variations of the build a strong team around a lackluster QB theory, for 20 years now on and off. It has never worked. So I personally don't believe it will start to work now.

But no matter what, this was the funnest Sunday of late season Bills football in ages and ages and I sure did like it!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Love reading these posts, Shaw.  Great job.

It doesn't make sense to keep Tyrod and Dennison together; it appears that the offense that Dennison wants to run and the type of QB that Tyrod is are completely incompatible.  I think it is keep one or the other.  I wouldn't mind seeing both switched out, especially if we can get some trade value for Tyrod and if we could land a vet like Alex Smith.  Agree that it probably isn't a good idea to give away a lot of draft capital to trade up to the top five picks for a QB, but I do think we need to draft one in the first round if one falls to us.

Preston Brown is worth keeping around, if not just for depth.  I suspect McDermott will want to upgrade that position and try his best to find his version Luke Keuchly.

Miami has been a middle of the pack team for a long time.  I think most of the younger fans are not as dedicated to the team as the older crowd from the Shula days, who like Shula, are getting older.   Could be the reason for the Dolphins sparse attendance.

Completely agree. One is a square peg and one is round. If we could either a) find an OC like Lynn who can squeeze 24 pts out of TT or b) find a good young pocket qb compatible with Dennison's system. 

58 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Completely agree. One is a square peg and one is round. If we could either a) find an OC like Lynn who can squeeze 24 pts out of TT or b) find a good young pocket qb compatible with Dennison's system. 

Or we could go with some continuity for a change?

3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Gase not kicking the 2 FG's early on were huge contributors to the win yesterday.

Coaches tend to gamble more when their season isn't on the line. Had they been contending for a playoff spot, Gase would have played Cutler for the whole game and kicked FGs instead of going for it on 4th.

Edited by WhoTom

42 minutes ago, Buffaloflash said:

Yeah but, continuity could translate into stagnation too! 

I look at it this way,

while Dennison and T T may not be a perfect fit the current coaching staff (and QB) did somethig no other Bills coaching staff could do in 17 years.

Don't rock the boat...

Edited by Figster

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Good write up.

Couple things. I thought McCoy was having a bad game before he got hurt. Constantly bouncing the runs outside as opposed to following his blockers and the design of the run. Once he went out the running game picked up a bit with Murphy and Tolbert.

As for Tyrod I think you have to take a QB, even if you keep Tyrod. They've passed way too many times on QBs for too long. I'm all for keeping Tyrod another year and having a guy waiting in the wings when he's ready/better then Tyrod.

To you and Badlands - I agree you have to take a QB.    I think they should take a QB; I don't think they should trade picks to more up high into the first round.   

I've become a McDermott believer.   I think he's like Belichick - not necessarily as good, but like him in that he installs solid offense and defense and teaches players to play it.   We saw the result - a lot of solid execution on offense and defense.   The draft is an opportunity to add a lot of talent to that system, to build on it.   He's the kind of teacher who's going to work rookies into the lineup and get them to perform.   Five picks in the first three rounds is a great opportunity.

So I don't think the Bills should trade up.   Now, I suppose if Beane is really sold on some guy and can make a deal, he should do it.  But you've got to be really sold, because the Bills can be really good next season with upgrades at 4 or 5 positions (probably a free agent or two) and solid qb play from Taylor (or maybe Peterman).  

So I take a QB, but I take one who's available when I'm picking and looks like a good pick.  That is, I'll use one of my top 4 or 5 picks on a QB.  I should be able to get a better prospect than Peterman, by a good measure, and if that guy can take Taylor's job next year, fine.   If he can't, he's my starter in 2019, or if Taylor takes a step up, I re-sign Taylor.  

Improbable indeed!  I felt good about the Bills chances of beating the fish ,but not about one of the other scenarios happening. I’m still a little shocked.  They are going to have to play at a high level for 4 quarters to advance, but that’s the playoffs!,

i like the “kid”from Oklahoma too. Also reminds me of Jimbo. I like his accuracy and he’s big on 3rd down. Use the draft picks on linemen.

Bringing  back Freddie would be awesome. I just might drive to Jacksonville for that!,

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Coaches tend to gamble more when their season isn't on the line. Had they been contending for a playoff spot, Gase would have played Cutler for the whole game and kicked FGs instead of going for it on 4th.

He wasn't questioning why Gase did it.  The point is the Bills benefited from that playcalling.   The game could have been closer.  

Why the dislike for Tyrod? Yet again terrible play calling the second half and every run was telegraphed resulting in in second and long as usual.

Dennison is a dumpster fire and tyrod is blamed?

Every qb misses throws and watched Brady yesterday miss many (including an easy TD).  

Cut him some slack.

How about the defense allowing a no name to almost win it for Miami.  

Edited by Billsfan1972

4 hours ago, Figster said:

Or we could go with some continuity for a change?

I really think people have to tune in to the McDermott way.  He might replace Dennison, but I seriously doubt.   

He wanted Dennison, he brought him to Buffalo, and McDermott isn't going to be disloyal to him by cutting loose after a year.   Loyalty is part of the McDermott way. 

But McDermott isn't going to accept less than excellence.  He will spend a lot of time in the off-season, working with Dennison to improve the offense.   That work will start right away if they think Taylor is the QB; it'll be delayed a bit if they think they're making a QB change.   But whenever and however they do it, we're going to see a revised offense next season.  The principles won't change, but the run-pass mix almost certainly will change.  They'll be scheming for Benjamin, scheming for Thompson.  It'll still be conservative, because McDermott has shown us that's who he is.   

It's foolish to think that what we saw this season is what we'll see next season.   McDermott is about improvement, not status quo.  

• Like (+1) 1

It was a bizzaro scenario for the Bills - a series of events that just hasn’t gone the Bills way in forever.  The Bills aren’t an exciting or particularly impressive team in any particular aspect other than heart and determination.

The team had some highs and lows and if you were to ask me whether the staff was good I’d say hmm...lots to like, lots to dislike, but you have to give the staff credit for keeping the train from going way off the rails after that horrendous stretch following the 5-2 start.  Maybe not the best game day and Xs and Os coaching, but mental prep and getting team to have an undeniable work ethic is clearly present and has a lot of merit.   They could be better for sure, but still an impressive feat.  

I like Tyrod and I think you can do much worse at QB, but at the same time I understand the criticism and desire for a more explosive passing game.  However, you don’t get rid of a guy as good as him without being sure you have a better option.  I think that there was an embarasiing amount of hubris starting Peterman.  It was really an ill timed decision and even more Ill conceived game plan against that defense. Moreover, if there was any need to change starting personnel they should've started on the OLine considering how poorly they played in the 2 prior games.   If they get a chance in the first or second round round with a guy great, go for it, but no need to trade up giving up away draft position or picks.  This team still needs an infusion of cheap, gifted young talent to build a long term winner. 

I think McDermott has put together a good teaching staff, not necessarily chess masters on game day though.  I think the staff remains intact, but I’d like to see the team evolve more to the talent they have rather than rigidity in scheme.  Although I think they did evolve some during the season after the rough patch. 

Edited by Ayjent
  • Like (+1) 1

Good stuff Shaw.

I know it sounds like a copout, but I actually think Taylor is executing what McDermott largely wants quite effectively.

Grab a lead and then just play safe as possible and protect it.

It's become increasingly obvious throughout the season that much of this late game "turtling" (to coin a phrase from another poster) is more a product of coaching and game planning than anything.

PS: bringing Freddy back would be awesome, but it's never gonna happen. My Freddy jersey will be on my back on Sunday, regardless.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Good stuff Shaw.

I know it sounds like a copout, but I actually think Taylor is executing what McDermott largely wants quite effectively.

Grab a lead and then just play safe as possible and protect it.

It's become increasingly obvious throughout the season that much of this late game "turtling" (to coin a phrase from another poster) is more a product of coaching and game planning than anything.

PS: bringing Freddy back would be awesome, but it's never gonna happen. My Freddy jersey will be on my back on Sunday, regardless.

The fact that McDermott benched Taylor when they were above .500 and in the 6th spot means that he wasn’t happy with the way Taylor was executing the offense.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why the dislike for Tyrod? Yet again terrible play calling the second half and every run was telegraphed resulting in in second and long as usual.

Dennison is a dumpster fire and tyrod is blamed?

Every qb misses throws and watched Brady yesterday miss many (including an easy TD).  

Cut him some slack.

How about the defense allowing a no name to almost win it for Miami.  

You’re seriously blaming our defense when they held Miami to 9 points for 58 minutes?   Not only that, that unit closed out the game.

You are so misguided it’s bizarre.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

We have every right to rejoice in our long awaited return to the post-season. At the same time, we can't ignore the new regime is locked into making us a SB contender, not a team that had so many fortunate things allowing us to snag a WC in a weak AFC this year. I don't think they make decisions this off-season any differently than as if Baltimore would have held on 2 days ago. I can't see them agreeing on keeping TT and Rico. That combo is atrocious.

Great write up.   Sometimes however I think the killer instinct we need n offense is not just a Tyron issue but Dennison.  He comes out early in the game with new plays, spreads and the team moves down the field with precision than for some reason we see Tolbert thrown in or a run out of a bunch formation that loses five yards or the play calling becomes conservative at best.   Classic example was after the first two successful drives against Miami it was like he went into prevent mode on play calling.   Sure TT misses targets a lot but seems less aggressive after first and second series .   I agree let a QB fall to you move up a few spots if ya need to but these ideas about using entire draft or much of it to get a QB are insane.  We need better DL,OL and LB 

Edited by Xwnyer

3 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

We have every right to rejoice in our long awaited return to the post-season. At the same time, we can't ignore the new regime is locked into making us a SB contender, not a team that had so many fortunate things allowing us to snag a WC in a weak AFC this year. I don't think they make decisions this off-season any differently than as if Baltimore would have held on 2 days ago. I can't see them agreeing on keeping TT and Rico. That combo is atrocious.

As I said, I think this is a misread of McDermott.  He believes he, his coaches and his players all will improve next season.  He will study the offense, work with Dennison to change things he didn't like, and work with Taylor unless Taylor's replacement comes along. 

When we look back at this weekend, I wonder what will be most remembered;

1.  Kyle's TD run

2.  Dalton's TD throw on 4th and 12 from 49 yard line with 44 seconds left in game.

I have to admit, I was surprised that Kyle was the one to score and didn't realize it until after the play.

The Dalton pass to T. Boyd absolutely stunned me.

Edited by richardb1952

19 hours ago, Figster said:

I look at it this way,

while Dennison and T T may not be a perfect fit the current coaching staff (and QB) did somethig no other Bills coaching staff could do in 17 years.

Don't rock the boat...

In a game that demands you must continually improve or get out of the way, it's hard to not want to look for a new QB. Taylor has his pluses, but his minuses too often outweigh them. Virtually no ability to orchestrate come from behind victories which speaks volumes. Holds to ball too long, waits for receivers to get wide open and hasn't learned how to throw a receiver open. He's a very likeable guy and one heck of an athlete, but a very middle of the road QB unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I really think people have to tune in to the McDermott way.  He might replace Dennison, but I seriously doubt.   

He wanted Dennison, he brought him to Buffalo, and McDermott isn't going to be disloyal to him by cutting loose after a year.   Loyalty is part of the McDermott way. 

But McDermott isn't going to accept less than excellence.  He will spend a lot of time in the off-season, working with Dennison to improve the offense.   That work will start right away if they think Taylor is the QB; it'll be delayed a bit if they think they're making a QB change.   But whenever and however they do it, we're going to see a revised offense next season.  The principles won't change, but the run-pass mix almost certainly will change.  They'll be scheming for Benjamin, scheming for Thompson.  It'll still be conservative, because McDermott has shown us that's who he is.   

It's foolish to think that what we saw this season is what we'll see next season.   McDermott is about improvement, not status quo.  

Good observation Shaw and when you combine talent , loyalty and excellence which is what the McD/Beane regime is trying to accomplish the end results is a very smart, flexible football team that can be coached up enough to win a Championship in my humble opinion.

I'm a Billiever...

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

In a game that demands you must continually improve or get out of the way, it's hard to not want to look for a new QB. Taylor has his pluses, but his minuses too often outweigh them. Virtually no ability to orchestrate come from behind victories which speaks volumes. Holds to ball too long, waits for receivers to get wide open and hasn't learned how to throw a receiver open. He's a very likeable guy and one heck of an athlete, but a very middle of the road QB unfortunately.

I have mixed feeling because T T had his best weapon, one he worked all off season to build chemistry with traded right before the season started.

Good chemistry doesn't happen over night, knowing a players tendency takes time/ practice and before you can build good chemistry the O has to all be on the same page IMO. I get the need for improvement, but some continuity can help improve an Offensive unit in my humble opinion. Especially from the QB position that has seen as many OC changes as he has seasons starting for the Buffalo Bills.

with all due respect sir

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

I think they're definitely in the market for a QB. I just don't think they should go to extraordinary measures to take one in this draft.  That is I'm not trading up. 

19 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think they're definitely in the market for a QB. I just don't think they should go to extraordinary measures to take one in this draft.  That is I'm not trading up. 

I agree,  McD's criteria from a players perspective I think differs somewhat from other HC in the league and the QB he's looking for may not be the most talented signal caller in the next draft class in my humble opinion.

Tyrod Taylor (and Nate Peterman) gives the McD/Beane regime a reason not to reach IMO. 

Edited by Figster

Great read, as usual!

Re: Taylor, I think he is the perfect bridge QB and am for keeping him another year. I want him teaching our rookie QB how to (a) protect the football, (b) work hard, and (c) be a humble leader.

However, I disagree in that, if OBD thinks a QB in the draft is a franchise-type prospect, then they 100% should trade whatever is needed to get that guy. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Great read, as usual!

Re: Taylor, I think he is the perfect bridge QB and am for keeping him another year. I want him teaching our rookie QB how to (a) protect the football, (b) work hard, and (c) be a humble leader.

However, I disagree in that, if OBD thinks a QB in the draft is a franchise-type prospect, then you 100% trade whatever you need to trade to get that guy. 

I get that , I really do, but without a good supporting cast the QB you draft is destined for failure IMO.

Can you imagine what McD's D could do with an elite pass rusher?

4 minutes ago, Figster said:

I get that , I really do, but without a good supporting cast the QB you draft is destined for failure IMO.

Can you imagine what McD's D could do with an elite pass rusher?

I hear you. I also think seeing what McD can do with under the radar pick-ups like Hyde, Poyer, Gaines, and Yarbrough, as well as a late round pick like Milano, I am less worried about stocking up the D. 

I also doubt trading up for a QB would cost all of our picks. We could probably still retain a 2nd and/or our 3rd, plus then we still have a 4th, two 5ths, and our 7th. I also anticipate Glenn being a piece included in a potential trade-up offer. 

That said, I do hope we invest heavily into the D-line, so long as it is not at the expense of drafting a QB prospect who OBD likes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Shaw

Here's my take:  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Most of us have suffered through 17 years of pure, unwavering mediocrity. Through it all the team was never all that good, and only once, so bad as to be deserving of a truly top pick (Dareus). The drought had to end some time. Why not this year, in one of the years that nobody predicted it would?

I couldn't care less what happens on Sunday. I am just glad to be off the 'snide'!  To be honest, this looks like a one and done season, and I would not be surprised to drop back right out again next year....but... I'm going to remain OVER THE TOP THRILLED ALL THIS WEEK and through the entire off-season.  The long winter is finally over!

Go Bills

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shaw

Here's my take:  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Most of us have suffered through 17 years of pure, unwavering mediocrity. Through it all the team was never all that good, and only once, so bad as to be deserving of a truly top pick (Dareus). The drought had to end some time. Why not this year, in one of the years that nobody predicted it would?

I couldn't care less what happens on Sunday. I am just glad to be off the 'snide'!  To be honest, this looks like a one and done season, and I would not be surprised to drop back right out again next year....but... I'm going to remain OVER THE TOP THRILLED ALL THIS WEEK and through the entire off-season.  The long winter is finally over!

Go Bills

I think when most fans looked at the schedule before the season started the thought of making the playoffs seemed remote and even the biggest homers like myself predicted 9 - 7 or tops 10 - 6 . Most of us homers have repeated this prediction for 17 years.

I don't think McD and company accomplished making the playoffs blindly nor do I see the Bills taking two steps backwards next season..

Its the dawning of a New Era in my humble opinion.

I'm a Billiever...

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

I think when most fans looked at the schedule before the season started the thought of making the playoffs seemed remote and even the biggest homers like myself predicted 9 - 7 or tops 10 - 6 . Most of us homers have repeated this prediction for 17 years.

I don't think McD and company accomplished making the playoffs blindly nor do I see the Bills taking two steps backwards next season..

Its the dawning of a New Era in my humble opinion.

I'm a Billiever...

Figster...I like the way you roll!  But, IMHO this team is bound to get worse before it gets better.  There are holes everywhere, and while it's nice that we have all these draft picks, it's hard to believe that they are ALL going to pan out.  Once again....I am now finally, just going to enjoy every minute of it!

• Like (+1) 1