Cleveland Browns - Will they go 0-16?

BTW, some funny comments from the readers of the Wall Street Journal on today's article about them (behind a paywall).

"My favorite Browns stat. The quarterback with the most wins in Cleveland since 1999 is Ben Roethlisberger with 11."

"The coach can say he kept his word.  He had promised that they wouldn't go 1-15 again this year."

"It's too bad the Browns couldn't get a coach like Belichick to turn things around."

"Antonio Cromartie has more children (14) than the Browns have wins the past 5 seasons (11)."

• Haha (+1) 1

It would sure be something to have only 2 teams in the same era go 0-16.............Lions & Browns.

At least the Lions had a little light in the tunnel with future prospects..........the Browns wouldn't know how to get something right even if big neon signs were pointing the way.

Aye Carumba

Assuredly...Cleveland is having a parade for them if they get there...family visiting from there over the holidays were telling me all about it, hahaha...

Gotts make the best of a bad situation I guess...

Edited by matter2003

8 minutes ago, Sweats said:

It would sure be something to have only 2 teams in the same era go 0-16.............Lions & Browns.

At least the Lions had a little light in the tunnel with future prospects..........the Browns wouldn't know how to get something right even if big neon signs were pointing the way.

Aye Carumba

Honestly the Browns roster isn't all that bad. Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Isaiah Crowell, Duke Johnson and Njoku would not be a bad group of weapons for a QB to inherit. Pretty good OL (assuming Joe Thomas keeps playing), Myles Garrett, Jaime Collins...

If they manage to get the right QB for once, they will make a pretty big jump. Maybe not playoff ready, but kind of like our teams over the past few years. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Honestly the Browns roster isn't all that bad. Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Isaiah Crowell, Duke Johnson and Njoku would not be a bad group of weapons for a QB to inherit. Pretty good OL (assuming Joe Thomas keeps playing), Myles Garrett, Jaime Collins...

If they manage to get the right QB for once, they will make a pretty big jump. Maybe not playoff ready, but kind of like our teams over the past few years. 

They need more than one offensive lineman

31 minutes ago, Big C said:

Coleman and Crowell suck imo but they do have a few good pieces. They rebuilt the OL last year - I am pretty sure Joe Thomas will be back too. They are very poorly coached.

I do think they hit 16 losses this season. But make no mistake...I think they finally have a competent GM running the show now. Sashi Brown was completely out of his element and completely over his head. He was even less qualified than Russ Brandon to be an NFL GM.

The biggest question for them I see is...Is Hue the right guy for the job? Was the problem all the front office? 

1 minute ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

I do think they hit 16 losses this season. But make no mistake...I think they finally have a competent GM running the show now. Sashi Brown was completely out of his element and completely over his head. He was even less qualified than Russ Brandon to be an NFL GM.

The biggest question for them I see is...Is Hue the right guy for the job? Was the problem all the front office? 

Apparently, Jackson wanted Watson and wanted a qb last year and got overruled.

4 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Sashi wasn’t a real GM but no, not all of th problem at all. If Dorsey has a set he will get rid of the entire coaching staff. 

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sashi wasn’t a real GM but no, not all of th problem at all. If Dorsey has a set he will get rid of the entire coaching staff. 

That would be the smart move. I don't care how well liked His is by players, it's really hard to ask a fan base to support and players to sign as free agents for a coach that went 0-16. Frankly I would love nothing more than to see them and us turn it around and have a Bills/Browns rivalry much like the Patties/Colts used to be. Both fan bases deserve some excitement.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Apparently, Jackson wanted Watson and wanted a qb last year and got overruled.

Jackson was absolutely part of the "front office problem".  He may have put out there that it's never his fault, but he has consistently mangled the QB position since the moment he was hired. 

Check this out:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171204/blogs06/144476/hue-jackson-preferred-carson-wentz-all-along-or-was-it-jared-goff-or

Look, any poster on this board could have gone 1-30 with this Brown's team.  Jackson has proven this : no, not on any given Sunday.

He is the worst HC in history.  Every bad Browns coach fired before him was better.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

BTW, some funny comments from the readers of the Wall Street Journal on today's article about them (behind a paywall).

"My favorite Browns stat. The quarterback with the most wins in Cleveland since 1999 is Ben Roethlisberger with 11."

"The coach can say he kept his word.  He had promised that they wouldn't go 1-15 again this year."

"It's too bad the Browns couldn't get a coach like Belichick to turn things around."

"Antonio Cromartie has more children (14) than the Browns have wins the past 5 seasons (11)."

Gold, Jerry, gold! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

Aye Carumba

.....1-31....PAINFUL Aye Carumba.......

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jackson was absolutely part of the "front office problem".  He may have put out there that it's never his fault, but he has consistently mangled the QB position since the moment he was hired. 

Check this out:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171204/blogs06/144476/hue-jackson-preferred-carson-wentz-all-along-or-was-it-jared-goff-or

Look, any poster on this board could have gone 1-30 with this Brown's team.  Jackson has proven this : no, not on any given Sunday.

He is the worst HC in history.  Every bad Browns coach fired before him was better.

I refuse to believe anyone could be worse than Wayne Fontes or Kay Stephenson ???

2 hours ago, Big C said:

Thats right. It’s about the QB and all else will fall in place.

Their drafting is suspect,but so are a lot of teams. I suspect with a new GM who actually knows what he’s doing that the Browns may be a much better team in a couple years.

Dont be surprised if the Browns trade their second first rounder to the Bills to gain more quality picks.

Just a thought, why did we trade with KC instead of Houston? I had been told Houston wanted to trade with the Bills for 10.

edit. I remember now why we didn’t trade. Houston wasn’t offering their first but a package taking us out of the first round. The had their chance but called our bluff with regards to KC. Once KC took one of the two QBs they wanted it was then they pulled the trigger.

Edited by dlonce

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Browns will be victorious this weekend. :beer:

....Hypothermia Hugh on deck.............

Hue Jackson plans to keep promise and jump into Lake Erie after another sad Browns season

That lake, during *this* time of year? That’s mighty cold.

By Harry Lyles Jr.@harrylylesjr Dec 27, 2017, 3:44pm EST

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Hypothermia Hugh on deck.............

Hue Jackson plans to keep promise and jump into Lake Erie after another sad Browns season

That lake, during *this* time of year? That’s mighty cold.

By Harry Lyles Jr.@harrylylesjr Dec 27, 2017, 3:44pm EST

They will have to cut a hole in the ice first.Its frozen on that end now.

Hue Jacksons a terrible coach. There were numerous Bills fans clamoring for that guy.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

Their roster top to bottom is terrible and has no depth. How many Browns players would start on most teams? Not more than 3 most likely.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Their roster top to bottom is terrible and has no depth. How many Browns players would start on most teams? Not more than 3 most likely.

...who is MORE deserving of misery?

A. Haslam

B. Jurry Jones

C. Boy Danny Snyder

D. All of the aoove

...D is the slam dunk.............

54 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

That’s hilarious until you consider that the same could be said of brady and the bills. 

And Belichik too.    Disgustingly he has 16 wins at Ralph Wilson /New Era field.    I think the last Bills coach to total that many home wins was Wade Phillips.   So yeah, just like the Browns, Bills opponent actually has most wins on their field since 99'.   

Getting into the playoffs would be nice way to start changing the tone.   That Forward lateral has been a true curse. 

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Coleman and Crowell suck imo but they do have a few good pieces. They rebuilt the OL last year - I am pretty sure Joe Thomas will be back too. They are very poorly coached.

I thought Hue had potential to be a good HC.  I wanted him here, instead of Sexy Rexy.

Joe Thomas speaks well of him.

Are we wrong?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought Hue had potential to be a good HC.  I wanted him here, instead of Sexy Rexy.

Are we wrong?

When did you think he had potential?  In 2016?  2017?

I honestly don't know how anyone could pump for this guy as a HC.  It's stunning. He's uncommonly awful--even ranked against truly awful coaches who have coached that historically awful team.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

When did you think he had potential?  In 2016?  2017?

I honestly don't know how anyone could pump for this guy as a HC.  It's stunning. He's uncommonly awful--even ranked against truly awful coaches who have coached that historically awful team.

Sorry thought it was clear.  Instead of Sexy Rexy, so I thought Hue had potential when we were HC shopping, January 2015.  Are you being rhetorical there?

Rumor had it Hue was Whaley's top candidate, and negotiations were underway to try to persuade Schwartz to stay as DC since he wasn't drawing HC interviews.

In hindsight, DD didn't confirm those rumors so IDK. 

Hue did a good job as Gruden's replacement for the Bengal's OC, and certainly their offense tanked after he left.  Joe Thomas durn near came out and said the Browns talent cupboard has been stripped bare the last 2 years and he doesn't think Jackson is to blame for the Browns results.

OTOH Yolo (and I guess you) think he's done badly.  Can you give a few specific examples you feel point to poor coaching?

I don't watch the Browns enough to have a personal view, but Jackson wouldn't be the first HC to plough up with the Browns then do well if he gets another shot.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Are we wrong?

I don’t know anyone who thinks Hue is a good HC except for Hue. He refused to hire an OC this season and got rid of all vet QBs. Started a rookie and had inexperienced 2nd year guys backing him up. Then ragged on the rookie all year. Last year he inexplicably yanked last year’s rookie Cody Kessler ( who he insisted on draft day was his guy and we’d just have to “trust him”) at halftime of a TNF game at Baltimore while they were winning - to insert mccown. They lost. He refuses to give the ball to Duke Johnson for some reason, his best and most consistent offensive player. After telling everyone Kessler was his guy he leaks to the media that he wanted Wentz but it was sashi’s Fault. Then he wanted garroppolo and that was sashi’s Fault. He then wanted Aj McCarron and well... you know that story. He leaks all this through his media buddy mike silver. There are really way too many examples. He could probably be a decent OC again but just a pitiful HC imo.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know anyone who thinks Hue is a good HC except for Hue. He refused to hire an OC this season and got rid of all vet QBs. Started a rookie and had inexperienced 2nd year guys backing him up. Then ragged on the rookie all year. Last year he inexplicably yanked last year’s rookie Cody Kessler ( who he insisted on draft day was his guy and we’d just have to “trust him”) at halftime of a TNF game at Baltimore while they were winning - to insert mccown. They lost. He refuses to give the ball to Duke Johnson for some reason, his best and most consistent offensive player. After telling everyone Kessler was his guy he leaks to the media that he wanted Wentz but it was sashi’s Fault. Then he wanted garroppolo and that was sashi’s Fault. He then wanted Aj McCarron and well... you know that story. He leaks all this through his media buddy mike silver. There are really way too many examples. He could probably be a decent OC again but just a pitiful HC imo.

Sounds like a media campaign by Hue to get rid of Sashi?

Joe Thomas more or less said Hue was leading a successful two-year tank campaign, and who knows who was behind the shedding of vet QB

But yes, I'll take the leaks and backbiting as evidence of "not a good HC".

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

18 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Everyone tried to warn McD about this happening...now, let’s seem him pull a franchise QB out of his ass with that mediocre record. :lol:

The team was never bad enough to go 0-16.

The players would never go for it.

If they did, it is destructive to the team to take such a dive.