Rapoport: Sunday is "Likely" Tyrod Taylor's Last Regular Season Game as a Bill

26CornerBlitz

I have the highest confidence I have had in years in regards to the HC/GM/Front Office situation. It seems they have a direction and every move is in an attempt to go in that direction. I may not agree with every move (was a fan of Watkins, thought he could be a real gem if we ever had a QB), but at least I can hang my hat on them focusing on a direction of the franchise and building towards it. 

I agree with picking up Tyrod's option and trying to trade him. They did an excellent job last off-season signing him to this team friendly contract, puts the Bills in the driver seat. I think a team with a strong D would be wise & have interest in trading for him (specifically Denver and maybe JAX). I would guess a 3rd or 4th could be had. 

I am expecting the Bills to be very active this offseason. I could see Beane executing a few more trades (think J Hughes is on borrowed time, Glenn, maybe Lawson) and also expect a few draft day trades (gut feeling they package picks and move up for their franchise QB or McDermont's stud MLB). I think they also will be very active in Free Agency. They unloaded a ton of $ last offseason and have some flexibility to spend on "McDermont" guys. 

I like the outlook and am excited for offseason.... but first lets Squish the Fish!

He wont be traded IMO. Either they dump him and save that money or they pay him that money and then they are stuck with him another year because no way anyone will want to give any picks for him just like NO team wanted him last time around. 

IMO Some people are very delusional in thinking he is worth more then a backup QB value. IMO to pay all that money to him in hopes to get a value pick for him is the same type of blindness as when OBD gave Fitz all that money. End the Rex QB era and move on to a new QB era or I can care less if this staff lasts till 2019. I am as done with Tyrod as I was with the Rex era.

IMO with Tyrod here so is the Rex era because it is his choice at QB.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big C said:

Teams with a loaded roster outside of QB could look at Tyrod. Jaguars or Broncos likely options. Wouldn't fetch much but he is a guy a team can with with when the defense is sturdy and receivers can separate. I know everyone is quick to dismiss him because he isn't able to single-handedly win games for us, but he is an NFL talent. If our defense in 2015 was anywhere near the 2014 team Rex inherited we would have been a playoff team for sure.

Why would the Jaguars take a downgrade at QB?

Or is it to backup Bortles? Because that would be pretty smart, actually. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Acattack15 said:

Sometimes you have to risk going two steps back in order to attempt to go 10 steps ahead......

Meaning we know we can win 8-9 games a year with Tyrod at QB, but IMO we shouldn't be satisfied with that. Its not about just making a wild card game, but rather building a dominant team year in & year out. They need to take a swing for the fences and attempt to get a franchise QB. Its possible that means having less wins next season, but IMO you gotta at least try for the health of the franchise for the next decade. 

Spend the capital and get a legit QB (I prefer trade up and draft someone, but understnd the Cousins outlook too). 

Just my 2 cents. 

Well if you're like some Bills fans here who want to fire Denison after just one year that doesn't create an environment that's conducive to taking the risk of getting a franchise quarterback and having guys stay in the system for for 5 years

It takes patience

5 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

I think we get a fifth or sixth for him, I'm actually thinking the Bills are about to make a serious run at Cousins. I do not see the Skins Franchising him again. Cousins and Peterman as a back looks pretty legit to me. You load up on the oline and dline with the draft picks and look out!

While not my first choice, I'd be pretty happy going into next year with this scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, H2o said:

I still think Coughlin tries to find a way that is feasible for the team to get Eli. 

That would be a terrible idea IMO. If they don't have a true franchise QB option, which they won't, since Bortles is not, and their draft position, I really think that a bridge QB like Taylor suits them best.

We know what this limitations are. He needs a strong run game and elite defense to win games. Check and check. He needs playmakers around him to succeed best. Check again. 

Now the Jaguars, due to the way they are built, could really use a QB that limits turnovers and allows them to play a ball control offense. Again, check. If Hackett were smart enough to work in some wrinkles that we saw Taylor thrive in with the Roman/Lynn offense, like more RPO plays, or designed options with Taylor and Fournette, that offense could really thrive, at least as much as a ball control offense can thrive. I really think it is a great match, and hope that's where Taylor ends up if Buffalo decides to let.him go

10 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

While not my first choice, I'd be pretty happy going into next year with this scenario. 

I do not see them getting rid of Cousins but hey if he ends up here great. Risking getting any draft pick for Tyrod after spending all that money is too big of a risk IMO. Sadly if they pay Tyrod all that money IMO we are again going to have to watch Trentative as the starter here and McD on his last leg struggling  to get to 7-9 IMO.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JM57 said:

That would be a terrible idea IMO. If they don't have a true franchise QB option, which they won't, since Bortles is not, and their draft position, I really think that a bridge QB like Taylor suits them best.

We know what this limitations are. He needs a strong run game and elite defense to win games. Check and check. He needs playmakers around him to succeed best. Check again. 

Now the Jaguars, due to the way they are built, could really use a QB that limits turnovers and allows them to play a ball control offense. Again, check. If Hackett were smart enough to work in some wrinkles that we saw Taylor thrive in with the Roman/Lynn offense, like more RPO plays, or designed options with Taylor and Fournette, that offense could really thrive, at least as much as a ball control offense can thrive. I really think it is a great match, and hope that's where Taylor ends up if Buffalo decides to let.him go

I think it comes down to the same things that you see here. Tyrod already has a top 5 RB to lean on. We have played ball control. Their defense is ahead of the curve ours is on at this very moment, but the defense behind Taylor is still decent. Limiting turnovers is good and Tyrod is a solid game manager, but his flaws will still be his flaws whether that be here or elsewhere. Teams will contain him to the pocket and force him to play QB. They will stack the box against the run and see if he can beat them with his arm. How has that worked out for us? I think Coughlin gets Eli, if not overpaying and possible, to be his QB for the next couple of years while they begin the search. Eli gives them the best chance to win now, more so than Bortles and Tyrod. 

9 hours ago, Ennjay said:

You have to hope Rappaport is right about a trade, but who's going to give anything up for him when he's likely to be a free agent?  And why would anyone get into a bidding war for Tyrod Taylor to "insure" the Bills pick up his option so he can be traded?

Some team will and it will be a defensive minded team.  If you can put TT behind a team with a good ground game and lights out defense some team will value his ability to protect the ball.  He's capable enough to take a team like this deep into the playoffs.  I think Denver is a logical choice while they search for their long-term answer.  I think he could fetch anywhere from as high as 4th rounder to no lower than a 6th.

1 hour ago, Section242 said:

Maybe a team with a new QB trades a 6th or 7th rd pick for him to start for a few games. I think he's most likely a back-up next year.

He'll be starting somewhere

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

Some team will and it will be a defensive minded team.  If you can put TT behind a team with a good ground game and lights out defense some team will value his ability to protect the ball.  He's capable enough to take a team like this deep into the playoffs.  I think Denver is a logical choice while they search for their long-term answer.  I think he could fetch anywhere from as high as 4th rounder to no lower than a 6th.

Just like last time he became available, not one team interested. Delusinal. Only team he would start for is Buffalo, IMO

Edited by xRUSHx

51 minutes ago, Acattack15 said:

I have the highest confidence I have had in years in regards to the HC/GM/Front Office situation. It seems they have a direction and every move is in an attempt to go in that direction. I may not agree with every move (was a fan of Watkins, thought he could be a real gem if we ever had a QB), but at least I can hang my hat on them focusing on a direction of the franchise and building towards it. 

I am expecting the Bills to be very active this offseason. I could see Beane executing a few more trades (think J Hughes is on borrowed time, Glenn, maybe Lawson) and also expect a few draft day trades (gut feeling they package picks and move up for their franchise QB or McDermont's stud MLB). I think they also will be very active in Free Agency. They unloaded a ton of $ last offseason and have some flexibility to spend on "McDermont" guys. 

I like the outlook and am excited for offseason.... but first lets Squish the Fish!

It's nice to finally have a GM and front office that actually has a well-defined vision.   We'll see if all these moves pan out, I suspect they will.

I also happen to believe that Glenn, Hughes and Lawson are all on the chopping block.  I could be wrong but that is the sense I get.   There are a lot of holes that need to filled and even more so if we trade these guys off.  My hopes is that we are active in FA and pick up at least a few new starters along with all those draft picks.

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

Just like last time he became available, not one team interested. Delusinal. Only team he would start for is Buffalo, IMO

You're barking up the wrong tree, dude.   I have no personal vested interest in TT aside from him succeeding because he is a Bill.  I'm just laying out how I believe potentially a few teams will view him.  Which is a guy that can protect the ball, game manage and make some plays with his legs.

11 minutes ago, Magox said:

I anticipate him starting the first few games then going to the bench in favor of a rookie.  Teams would rather go for the unknown than the known. Also guys like Bridgewater, Bradford, McCown, Keenum, Cousins, McCarron, maybe Dalton will be in play.

15 minutes ago, Magox said:

It's nice to finally have a GM and front office that actually has a well-defined vision.   We'll see if all these moves pan out, I suspect they will.

I also happen to believe that Glenn, Hughes and Lawson are all on the chopping block.  I could be wrong but that is the sense I get.   There are a lot of holes that need to filled and even more so if we trade these guys off.  My hopes is that we are active in FA and pick up at least a few new starters along with all those draft picks.

You're barking up the wrong tree, dude.   I have no personal vested interest in TT aside from him succeeding because he is a Bill.  I'm just laying out how I believe potentially a few teams will view him.  Which is a guy that can protect the ball, game manage and make some plays with his legs.

Hey man I get it I was just commenting on your post I did not agree with about Tyrod.

I do not think that any team will want to pay him starter pay to be the starter except for Buffalo. You said in that post Tyrod could take a team deep into the playoffs but yet our team still can not even sniff a wild card without help from other teams and a must win final game in Miami.

What Tyrod needs is a #1 defense to carry him and a OC willing to scrap his scheme to a dumbed down simple Taylor made one. I do not see other teams as nice to him as Buffalo has even though Tyrod thinks he has not gotten the same support here he would elsewhere  because of his race.

Edited by xRUSHx

Makes sense.  If any team is interested in Tyrod and believes that multiple teams could be interested, that team may be willing to invest a draft pick in a trade rather than tempt fate by trying to wait out the Bills and hoping they aren't willing to pay him that roster bonus that is coming due in March.  The specific draft pick(s) will depend on perceived market value (how badly multiple teams want Tyrod).

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I hope he lights it up against Miami then. Hopefully teams will look at that "upside" and trade with us as opposed to hoping he chooses them in FA.

If you could pick any opponent for a national audition it'd probably be Miami. In his previous 5 games he has been very, very good against them.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

Makes sense.  If any team is interested in Tyrod and believes that multiple teams could be interested, that team may be willing to invest a draft pick in a trade rather than tempt fate by trying to wait out the Bills and hoping they aren't willing to pay him that roster bonus that is coming due in March.  The specific draft pick(s) will depend on perceived market value (how badly multiple teams want Tyrod).

Is it worth spending all that money on him just to get a 5th or 6th round pick while also risking getting stuck with him. I do not think so

46 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think it comes down to the same things that you see here. Tyrod already has a top 5 RB to lean on. We have played ball control. Their defense is ahead of the curve ours is on at this very moment, but the defense behind Taylor is still decent. Limiting turnovers is good and Tyrod is a solid game manager, but his flaws will still be his flaws whether that be here or elsewhere. Teams will contain him to the pocket and force him to play QB. They will stack the box against the run and see if he can beat them with his arm. How has that worked out for us? I think Coughlin gets Eli, if not overpaying and possible, to be his QB for the next couple of years while they begin the search. Eli gives them the best chance to win now, more so than Bortles and Tyrod. 

Have you watched Eli play this year? I completely disagree that he gives them a better chance to win now. Yeah, the Giants OL is awful, but the Jags isn't much better and he is a statue. With how that team is presently constructed, it's a fit for Taylor. 

Like you said, their defense is ahead of the curve of the Bills. I guarantee you that Taylor would have no issue guiding that team to the playoffs. That team is exactly what the Bills wanted to be with him at QB. Elite defense, strong run game, hide the QB as much as necessary.

Nobody is trading anything for the leader of the 32nd ranked passing offense. Sorry they're just not.

He had more value last offseason and he wasn't sought after, so I doubt anybody offers anything to the Bills for him this offseason.

Edited by PeterGriffin

11 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Nobody is trading anything for the leader of the 32nd ranked passing offense. Sorry they're just not.

He had more value last offseason and he wasn't sought after, so I doubt anybody offers anything to the Bills for him this offseason.

28th in passing offense, not 32nd, although of course that isn't good enough. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

Btw, raw yardage is not a good proxy for measuring overall production/efficiency.

Finally, Taylor is 24th among qbs by DVOA this season: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb . Again, not good enough, but the wr situation hasn't helped matters.

Edited by dave mcbride

What are the chances of getting Bridgewater?  He would be cheaper than Cousins and better, if he is the same guy.  Also, TT will be a backup somewhere else next year.  The benching against LAC was the writing on the wall.  Also, remember Sammy asking for the ball.  We thought he was not a team guy, but he  was actually telling us then that TT was not a QB.

Just now, Ga boy said:

What are the chances of getting Bridgewater?  He would be cheaper than Cousins and better, if he is the same guy.  Also, TT will be a backup somewhere else next year.  The benching against LAC was the writing on the wall.  Also, remember Sammy asking for the ball.  We thought he was not a team guy, but he  was actually telling us then that TT was not a QB.

Take off the nostalgia goggles. Bridgewater was never close to Cousins and really performed mostly around Tyrod's level but without the rushing.

• Like (+1) 1