Comprehensive "Tyrod Taylor is Bad" Thread (VERY Comprehensive)

BigDingus

Spikes went 21 and 27 and had a team with pro bowl WR's and QB and a top defense.  I'm not sure there's anything you and your avatar are going to say to make me feel bad about running with Taylor until they replace him.

Edited by Maine-iac

That's where you are wrong.  I am not the one saying anyone is better.  I was simply replying to someone who was commenting on my avatar.  I don't have to make a case for Taylor being better than Spikes.  I don't care.  I can however comment that Spike in no way accomplished one damn thing while he was here.  So if you are going to throw stones you probably should not live in a glass house.

Here's we are at with Taylor:

I'm the guy who started a thread saying Tyrod is a franchise QB.

I'm now at the point where I want the Bills to move on from him and find a real QB. 

Edited by Domdab99

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Here's we are at with Taylor:

I'm the guy who started a thread saying Tyrod is a franchise QB.

I'm now at the point where I want the Bills to move on from him and find a real QB. 

I defend the crap out of him but tell me you can bring in Drew Brees and I'd buy Taylor's bus ticket.  We aren't bringing in Drew Brees.  No guarantee in drafting someone.  I'd do it anyways.  I wouldn't however burn my bridge until I've crossed it.  We could be a good team.  We could be a good team with Taylor.  Now if we become that good team and actually draft that "franchise" guy.  Sky is the limit.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are just another damsel in distress............save us or die Tyrod!

I want to build around whoever the QB is.........does having playmakers in place HURT the next QB?    Really?   How so?  

Do they draft OL that can only block for Tyrod?

Receivers that can only catch passes from Tyrod?

And you think YOU have a clue..........YOU?

My contention that you should figure on propping-up the QB you have rather than just seeing if he can pass himself out of a flaming dumpster has only been further enhanced by what the Eagles and Rams have done.    And Nick Foles stepping in and playing well in place of Wentz has only FURTHER enhanced my position.

You really are lost.  Have we not spent about two decades attempting to build around the QB of the moment?  It’s a failed strategy.  The NFL is stacked to favor teams that have a QB.  Those that don’t end up like the Bills.  It’s time for A new strategy.  Like most teams this means identifying your QB in the draft.

Hanging on to a mediocre, at best, running QB will lead to futility.  We are seeing it play out before us.

BTW- I’m not looking for Tyrod to save us.  He’s had his opportunity to prove himself and we’ve seen the ceiling.  It’s not very high.  Time to move on.

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

You really are lost.  Have we not spent about two decades attempting to build around the QB of the moment?  It’s a failed strategy.  The NFL is stacked to favor teams that have a QB.  Those that don’t end up like the Bills.  It’s time for A new strategy.  Like most teams this means identifying your QB in the draft.

Hanging on to a mediocre, at best, running QB will lead to futility.  We are seeing it play out before us.

BTW- I’m not looking for Tyrod to save us.  He’s had his opportunity to prove himself and we’ve seen the ceiling.  It’s not very high.  Time to move on.

I'm not the least bit lost........totally grounded on the QB situation and I've only gained more ammunition in the argument with each passing year.

Nobody has been more consistently critical of the Bills half-invested approach to addressing the QB situation during the drought.

I've advocated taking their highest rated QB with their first pick EVERY year..........and when I did I heard all kinds of excuses why that was crazy.

"You couldn't stock a team!  The salary cap would be a mess!"

Oh, is that right?

How many of their first round picks over the last 18 years(since they passed on Drew Brees) did the Bills have on the field against the Pats Sunday?

One.

That's right........ONE......that's it........Tre'Davious White.:lol:

And they are *somehow* still an 8 or 9 win team.

Always be looking hard for the best possible QB but always be trying your best to win with the one you have.

Bills didn't do that with Taylor this year.........they !@#$ed him and they !@#$ed us out of the kind of high scoring offense they put up under Anthony Lynn.

And as for this offseason.........if the Bills take a QB with their first pick in round one.........or trade up to get higher in round one and select one........it will be THE FIRST TIME IN THEIR HISTORY THAT THEY HAVE BEEN ALL IN ON A QB PROSPECT on draft day.   

The first time in almost 60 years.

Color me skeptical that they will be..........and if the option is some lateral bulls*t move like trading more draft capital for Alex Smith then count me as a critic.

If the other option is turning the reigns over to a rookie ala EJ Manuel without any competition.........!@#$ that noise too.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The one thing I don't understand is how fans blame Peterman for his start at the Chargers.

He didn't push TT out of the job, that was all on McDermott.

I've voiced my dismay of McDermott's boneheaded move of starting Peterman.

I keep saying he should of started TT but he should of made it quite clear that if TT did not play

the way he wanted him to, he would get pulled for Peterman.

Imagine how hard and stressful it was for Nate in the locker room with vets undoubtedly not happy with McD's actions.

Peterman may never get over that half of football.

McDermott's call was not fair for the Team, Fans, TT and Peterman.

He better be learning from his mistakes.

Seriously? The kid looked pretty strong leading the Bills in a blizzard. One thing's for sure, his rookie year has been memorable. 

Also, McDermott was absolutely right in benching Taylor. His recent performance to that point had been unacceptable by any standard. 

21 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I'm just going to put everything I can out there and go all-in on this. I'm sure I'll get the "you've got too much time on your hands" comments, or "you're a hater" responses, but this is just info that backs everything we've seen, and I wanted it all in one place for future reference.

Bills Passing Offenses Under Tyrod Taylor

2015 - 28th (12th overall) https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/index.htm

2016 - 30th (11th overall) https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/index.htm

2017 - 32nd (23rd overall) https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/index.htm

4th Quarter Comebacks Under Tyrod Taylor

Tied for 231st (dead last) out of all QB's since 1960 with a total of 3.

Tied with greats like JP Losman,  Kelly Holcomb, & Jamarcus Russell, and behind other greats like Blaine Gabbert, Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards, & Tim Tebow.

Want to know some players who already have him beat that haven't even played as long?
Teddy Bridgewater - 4, Brock Osweiler - 4, Dak Prescott - 5, Marcus Mariota - 7, Kirk Cousins - 8, and Derek Carr - 13.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

Record when down by even a single point at any time in the 4th Quarter:

3-20 all time.

2015:

1. Loss to Patriots 32-40

2. Loss to Giants 10-24

3. Win vs Titans 14-13

4. Loss to Patriots 13-20

5. Loss to Chiefs 22-30

6. Loss to Eagles 20-23

7. Loss to Redskins 25-35

2016:

8. Loss to Ravens 7-13

9. Loss to Jets 31-37

10. Loss to Dolphins 25-28

11. Loss to Patriots 25-41

12. Loss to Seahawks 25-31

13. Win vs Jaguars 28-21

14. Loss to Raiders 24-38

15. Loss to Steelers 20-27

16. Loss to Dolphins 31-34

2017:

17. Loss to Panthers 3-9

18. Loss to Bengals 16-20

19. Win vs Buccaneers 30-27

20. Loss to Jets 21-34

21. Loss to Saints 10-47

22. Loss to Patriots 3-23

23. Loss to Patriots 16-37

Other Fun Info:

-Took until week 12 against the Chiefs to lead a 1st Quarter TD drive.

-Leads an offense ranked 31st overall in 1st downs.

-Want to know why we kick FG's on 4th down or punt on 4th & short? We're 2 & 13 overall on 4th down this year. http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs

-We have the 2nd most 3 & outs in the league with 31 (only behind Indianapolis with 32).

-Therefore we have the 2nd most punts with 30 (only behind NY Giants with 31).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef

-Tyrod is ranked 33rd (out of 35) in passing yards per game with 178. Only Tom Savage & Brett Hundley have fewer. http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYardsPerGame

-"Oh but he's got a great completion percentage!" - He's ranked 18th overall. Not impressive at all.

-"But what about his passer rating?!" - It's 19th overall. Still below average.

-Passing TD's he's ranked 25th overall with 13 on the year.

Record against the Patriots:

-1-5, with his 1 win coming against the 3rd string rookie Jacoby Brissett in 2016. He threw for a whopping 1 TD in that game, with us winning 16-0. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00/gamelog/?opp_id=nwe

-In games against Brady-lead Patriots teams, he has 3 passing TDs, all in his first game. In the other 4, he has thrown 0.

His numbers in those games:

Game 1: 242 yards, 3 TD's, 3 INT's 76.7% completion

Game 2: 233 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's, 55.6% completion

Game 3: 183 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's, 50% completion

Game 4: 65 yards, 0 TD's, 1 INT's, 50% completion

Game 5: 281 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's, 55% completion

Addressing Common Claims:

-"Passing yards don't matter! Who cares if he doesn't throw for 300 yards!"

*Problem...The successful teams have successful passing attacks. Leaders in the league are Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Matthew Stafford, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, Matt Ryan, Case Keenum, Carson Wentz, Blake Bortles.

Nearly all of those teams are either in the playoffs, or in contention.

-In 3 seasons as a starter, he has ONE career 300 yard game, and that was because the game went into OT, allowing him the extra yards to crack 300.

-"But Big-D, we're a run-first offense so he doesn't get as many attempts!"

*Problem...his attempts are low due to his execution on the field. When you lead the league in 3 & outs, where are you? Not on the field. If they moved the ball, he'd have more attempts by virtue of simply being out there still playing!

**Even so, he is 27th in yards per attempt with 6.52... Give him 5 extra attempts (which would be more than half the league on average), and he'd only have 32.6 extra yards (assuming he completed every pass).

-"It's the offensive coordinator! The playcalling sucks!"

*Problem...We've had 3 offensive coordinators in 3 years, and they all try their damndest to get something out of the passing game with TT. The passing game regresses each year, but at times they manage to compensate with the run game. However, teams more & more commit to stopping the run & forcing Tyrod to play QB, which has become an effective strategy. Coaches that say "we are a run-first team that wants to pound the ball & play tough defense," do so because they have no other choice.

**If a team has a competent QB, they don't have to declare anything like that. They can like to run the ball, but still pass just as often, if not more. Teams without QB's have no other choice but to try & pound the ball. You're not going to gameplan for some crazy passing attack with a QB who can't throw the ball...you try to run, and mix in short passes, play action, screens, & take a couple shots. That's it. There's no other option. Blaming every single OC who comes through town as the reason playcalling sucks, as if it's that simple, is an exercise in futility. They are working with a gimped playbook, and handicapped by the QB behind center. If the QB has shown to be unable to execute, you can only do so much.

***A simple playbook can help streamline things against certain weaker teams, but when facing top-tier coaches & talent, you run into a wall. You can question them as much as you want, but you won't know what they really want to do (or can do) until you have a QB capable of executing on the field.

More Fun Facts!

-Tyrod ranks 19th in total QBR out of 32 players...so "below average."
-Tyrod's BEST game of the season is ranked 41st out of all games played (Week 15 against Miami) out of 50. http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/type/player-game
-Above him are Jacoby Brissett, Josh McCown, C.J. Beathard, Dak Prescott, Case Keenum, Brock Osweiller, Sam Bradford, Jimmy Garoppolo, DeShaun Watson, Kirk Cousins & all the other usual suspects.

-Leader in receptions on our team: LeSean McCoy with 57. Next, Charles Clay with 43. Then comes the dropoff, Zay Jones & Jordan Matthews tied with 25 a piece. Next we have Nick O'leary with 21, tied with Deonte Thompson at 21. WR's don't get much action under TT.

-In terms of receiving yards, it's Charles Clay with 457 followed by LeSean McCoy at 350. Don't forget, Clay missed a couple games due to injuries as well, yet he still tops all actual WRs.

-Tyrod had a couple good passes to WR's today, but overall he doesn't throw their way often. He sees his outlet pass or last read as the first option and dumps off to the RB & TE, even on 3rd & long. He rarely hits receivers in stride, or won't throw to them at all unless they're wide open on all sides of the ball. He doesn't "throw guys open" nor does he audible out of plays at the line he knows are bad. He throws to the short route even though men downfield are open, and he frequently doesn't see open men at all. On top of that, how many times does he throw into the dirt to wide open receivers? All. The. Time.

-Does he hold on to the ball too long? Yes.
 Tyrod's "Time to Throw" is at 3.0 seconds, 3rd highest in the league. Only above him are DeShaun Watson & Russell Wilson.
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

-Also, in terms of where he throws the ball, he throws half a yard short of the sticks on average, good for 22nd in the league.

-To further highlight this point, there is a metric called "Aggressiveness/AGG%" where Tyrod is ranked 32nd. Aggressiveness rating is defined as "the amount of passing attempts a QB makes that are into tight coverage, where there is a defender within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. AGG is shown as a % of attempts into tight windows over all passing attempts."

So in summation/TL;DR - Tyrod isn't good. Also, just to make sure people take this seriously, I have a source inside OBD that told me Tyrod is bad, and the Bills don't want him as QB. There, now it's official.

Give me a break with that AGG crap. Now I've heard it all. Cutler is an aggressive qb and what has that done for him? AGG, hah. Also, in addressing  your first common claims, you say all those teams are either in the playoffs or in contention. You know, WE are still in contention going into week 17, right?! Stuff like this makes me wonder if your claims of a source are real. You know, I talk to Pegs ever day. 

Do I get any credit hours if I go through all that?

I don’t know what the point Is anymore. It looks like that train has moved on. Now, if things change, then I’m interested again. Tyrod is the best option to win NOW, but I’m pretty confident they will find a preferred option.  The million dollar question is can they do better? 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do I get any credit hours if I go through all that?

I don’t know what the point Is anymore. It looks like that train has moved on. Now, if things change, then I’m interested again. Tyrod is the best option to win NOW, but I’m pretty confident they will find a preferred option.  The million dollar question is can they do better? 

i would hope so, the bar is not set very high. 32 nd in the league

2 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

i would hope so, the bar is not set very high. 32 nd in the league

Unfortunatley, there does not seem to be an adequate supply of Franchise QB’s despite the billions of people on this planet. Being one of the half dozen makes winning the Powerball seem likely. And it pays almost as well! 

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Tyrod is 8-6. 

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And yet we're alive for a playoff spot in week 17 for the first time since... what...?  2004?

Go figure :flirt:

Imagine if he didn’t suck though 

1st pats game = win 

Cincy game     = win 

Panthers game = win 

actual playoffs would happen.   Ravens don’t lose at home often btw. 

Another solid 16 point output yesterday with the pick 6 added ??‍♂️??‍♂️  

Stop trolling guys.  

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Imagine if he didn’t suck though 

1st pats game = win 

Cincy game     = win 

Panthers game = win 

actual playoffs would happen.   Ravens don’t lose at home often btw. 

Another solid 16 point output yesterday with the pick 6 added ??‍♂️??‍♂️  

Stop trolling guys.  

Stop trolling says the guy who just changed his username for the 4th time in 9 months. :doh:

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Stop trolling says the guy who just changed his username for the 4th time in 9 months. :doh:

Aka once in 7 years.  

Are you the screen name change nazi ?  

Take the L on Taylor, stay underground for a bit.   You’re not a mod or proprietor of this site, worry about your own screen name 

Go ahead and read the op again.  ???

Edited by Teddy KGB

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

There's about three years of posts that disagree with that assessment.

I think you're misreading them, JSP. I know that badol and 26cb know that we have to get a better qb, but they also think that a la donald rumsfeld, you go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish you have. For all of his limitations, taylor is basically a mid-level nfl starter who can flash some quality play provided you give him receiving talent. The bills have no one else who is better, and given that you're presumably trying to win, giving him so help by way of wr talent would be helpful. The wr corps this year has been truly wretched, although long term l like benjamin assuming he's 100 percent next year. Right now, he's gutting it out, but he's also likely running a 4.9 40 too.

the big issue is the failure to ever draft a qb with their slotted first pick. They have never done it in nearly 60 years. That is pathetic.

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think you're misreading them, JSP. I know that badol and 26cb know that we have to get a better qb, but they also think that a la donald rumsfeld, you go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish you have. For all of his limitations, taylor is basically a mid-level nfl starter who can flash some quality play provided you give him receiving talent. The bills have no one else who is better, and given that you're presumably trying to win, giving him so help by way of wr talent would be helpful. The wr corps this year has been truly wretched, although long term l like benjamin assuming he's 100 percent next year. Right now, he's gutting it out, but he's also likely running a 4.9 40 too.

the big issue is the failure to ever draft a qb with their slotted first pick. They have never done it in nearly 60 years. That is pathetic.

Every WR corps that TT has had is wretched, and will always be wretched because of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And yet we're alive for a playoff spot in week 17 for the first time since... what...?  2004?

Go figure :flirt:

We have a 13% chance... That's "alive" in the same sense that being terminally ill & in hospice is "alive."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Aka once in 7 years.  

Are you the screen name change nazi ?  

Take the L on Taylor, stay underground for a bit.   You’re not a mod or proprietor of this site, worry about your own screen name 

Go ahead and read the op again.  ???

Whatever you say Ryan L Bills or Maury Baulstein or AiritoutFitzy or Teddy KGB or whatever your next moniker will be :lol:

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Whatever you say Ryan L Bills or Maury Baulstein or AiritoutFitzy or Teddy KGB or whatever your next moniker will be :lol:

What does this matter?

Do we have another bet if TT has 78 yards passing next week?

Edited by jmc12290

On 12/25/2017 at 12:56 AM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I could start a Peterman essay.

...and??? They are both average on their best days.  Where is that going to take us...average record, hence 8-8 or 9-7.  Do we dare to be better than that?  Or are we going to just accept mediocrity?  Is that really what we want as a franchise?  I don't, I wanna win not just be decent.

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It’s KGB bud.      I don’t know what all these other names mean.   

Its not my fault you spend 57 gigabytes on “Tyrod is great y’all” 

Let the outbursts continue.    The grieving period is part of moving on ???

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Haha (+1) 1