ESPN predicts Alex Smith as starting Bills QB in 2018.

PIZ

8 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Smith is better than TT. Similar in their styles, but Smith is better

really? take away the elite defenses smith has had the luxury of playing with over the last 5 years and what do you get? most likely a .500 record hovering right around where taylors is..... heck, look at what happened to him this year once the defense disappeared.

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

If the Bills were to go this route, which I wouldn't be opposed to, they would still need to draft a QB to mentor behind Smith.  He's definitely an upgrade over TT and still most likely has a few good years left.

I agree.  Let both the rookie QB we draft and Peterman sit behind Smith for a year or two, then compete for starting QB.  Not an unrealistic scenario and not at all risky.

Unfortunately, I can see them probably keeping Dennison since his offense would be conducive to Alex Smith.

1 minute ago, DasNootz said:

at this point Tyrod is a more athletic version of Smith for similar money.  I'd keep Tyrod if that's the direction we're going.

Umm, they're not even in the same zip code. Alex will throw before the break with anticipation, averages more yards per game than TT has only matched once.  Smith is a pocket passer and is accurate. Neither turns the ball over much but Smith is far and away a better qb than TT,  particularly for this offense.

• Like (+1) 5

Smith & TT are very similar in style but I believe Smith is a little more accurate in terms of ball placement and can anticipate throws a little better.  Only way I'd be on board with a move like this is if they draft a QB as well.  I don't think that it would take more than a low round pick either.  Guys that are likely to be cut if they can't be traded typically don't fetch too much in a trade. 

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

really? take away the elite defenses smith has had the luxury of playing with over the last 5 years and what do you get? most likely a .500 record hovering right around where taylors is..... heck, look at what happened to him this year once the defense disappeared.

Smith was an MVP favourite the first 6 games. Overall he's had a very good year. Yes he had a few bad games this year but so have all quarterbacks.

Im not saying smith is great but he's had some very nice moments in his careeer. He's thrown for over 300 yards ,Twice in playoff games, with 4 and 5 touchdown games, and playoff wins.

TT hasn't done anything close to that 

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Umm, they're not even in the same zip code. Alex will throw before the break with anticipation, averages more yards per game than TT has only matched once.  Smith is a pocket passer and is accurate. Neither turns the ball over much but Smith is far and away a better qb than TT,  particularly for this offense.

the bolded is just false... smiths career high for yardage in season before this year was nothing more than 3500. in that same season he tossed a whopping 15 td. career high for tds was 23. I would place a LARGE wager on smiths career win % being right on par with taylors had he not had elite defenses in both san fran and KC. look what happened to the chiefs this year once the run game hit a decline and defense disappeared. smith started losing. he has had the luxury of some amazing teams around him. not even debatable..... smith might be a bit better but not by much and this would be a lateral move.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Smith was an MVP favourite the first 6 games. Overall he's had a very good year. Yes he had a few bad games this year but so have all quarterbacks.

Im not saying smith is great but he's had some very nice moments in his careeer. He's thrown for over 300 yards ,Twice in playoff games, with 4 and 5 touchdown games, and playoff wins.

TT hasn't done anything close to that 

they went 12-4 last year and he tossed 15 tds..... he's been along for the ride on most of the playoff teams he's played with. solid efficient ball. which is nothing to scoff at. but that type of qb play would be a lateral move for us. smith might be a bit better but not by much.

but then again I guess this all hinges on if you think this years smith is the one he'll be from here on out or if you think he's more the player he was the previous 5 years before this..... i'm inclined to believe in the rule instead of the exception.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

25 minutes ago, Magox said:

If the Bills were to go this route, which I wouldn't be opposed to, they would still need to draft a QB to mentor behind Smith.  He's definitely an upgrade over TT and still most likely has a few good years left.

I see Smith or Bradford as the likely starters next year with a draft pick as backup.  

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

they went 12-4 last year and he tossed 15 tds..... he's been along for the ride on most of the playoff teams he's played with. solid efficient ball. which is nothing to scoff at. but that type of qb play would be a lateral move for us. smith might be a bit better but not by much.

but then again I guess this all hinges on if you think this years smith is the one he'll be from here on out or if you think he's more the player he was the previous 5 years before this..... i'm inclined to believe in the rule instead of the exception.

I don't know man.

Wins/losses, Total TDS, Passing yards, Playoff wins, game winning drives. Has pretty much everything on TT.

I believe his teams have made the playoffs the last 6 years as well.

I think it's very hard to argue TT is as good as Smith

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I don't know man.

Wins/losses, Total TDS, Passing yards, Playoff wins, game winning drives. Has pretty much everything on TT.

I believe his teams have made the playoffs the last 6 years as well.

I think it's very hard to argue TT is as good as Smith

you think smith makes the playoffs with the bills teams that taylor has been on? I don't.....

think about those niners teams and then the chiefs... I truly believe there are about 20 qbs that could have won as many games as smith on those teams.  they just went 12-4 and the chiefs went out a traded up to draft a qb in the first!.... smith would probably be a slight upgrade but the cost increase would have to be slight as well.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

If the choice was between TT and Alex Smith then yes I'd certainly make the swap in a heartbeat.

However the more viable (and preferred) solution is to hand the offense over to Nathan Peterman and draft another mid round rookie to develop and be his backup.

I truly think NP is going to have a great offseason and be primed for a big year next year as the starter.

• Haha (+1) 1