ESPN predicts Alex Smith as starting Bills QB in 2018.

PIZ

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

really? take away the elite defenses smith has had the luxury of playing with over the last 5 years and what do you get? most likely a .500 record hovering right around where taylors is..... heck, look at what happened to him this year once the defense disappeared.

The lesson her is build up the D in the off season.  If we don't, we'll still be in purgatory no matter who we get.

33 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Give Cousins a blank check and draft Allen or Lamar Jackson if they are available with our first pick, otherwise take a guy like Rudolph / Falk / Ferguson / Lock in round 3.

It would make no sense to sign Cousins to a long term deal AND draft a QB with our top pick.

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It would make no sense to sign Cousins to a long term deal AND draft a QB with our top pick.

Right.  If you sign Cousins, you use picks to build around him.  I don't think he's as good as the price tag is likely to be, but he's certainly not a bridge qb.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Right.  If you sign Cousins, you use picks to build around him.  I don't think he's as good as the price tag is likely to be, but he's certainly not a bridge qb.

....so what pick(s) do you have left to build with if the Deadskins want a king's ransom?.....this is the RG II 1/8 deal in reverse......

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Cuz if Smith gets cut he'll cost a whole lot less than it be to retain TT.

I doubt this VERY seriously.  If Alex gets cut, a bidding war will ensue.  There are a lot of QB needy teams out there besides us. I'd offer them the 1 we got from them last year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

I doubt this VERY seriously.  If Alex gets cut, a bidding war will ensue.  There are a lot of QB needy teams out there besides us. I'd offer them the 1 we got from them last year.

I don't see it as the only other team I think rush to get him be the Jaguars but they've already committed to Bortles for 2018 and can't see them paying another QB significant money. 

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

...under contract for $17 mil in 2018......doubt Andy cuts him and comes up empty handed......trade or he stays IMO....

6 hours ago, MJS said:

He is 33 years old. I don't want that.

Are you kidding?

Would you have liked to have Drew Brees as  your QB for the past 6 years? If the answer is yes, he is 39 right now. QB's play a LOT longer now. If a good QB that's 33 becomes available, you take him! 

People that like Tyrod always talk about how he's a game manager & protects the ball & spin his ridiculously low numbers as if they're some sort of accomplishment.

Alex Smith is an actual game manager that has the ability to do far more. He's better in every conceivable way except running the ball, and even then he's a good dual threat QB & runs quite often.

267 yards per game, 3,738 yards, 67.8% completion percentage, 25 TDs & 5 Ints. 105.4 Passer Rating. Yeah, who would want that when you could have 178 yards per game, 2,314 yards, 62.8% completion percentage, 13 TDs, 4 Ints, & 89.1 Passer Rating?

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, The Jokeman said:

I don't see it as the only other team I think rush to get him be the Jaguars but they've already committed to Bortles for 2018 and can't see them paying another QB significant money. 

Jets

Cardinals

Washington if they dump cousins

Clowns

Broncos (Elway loves signing veteran QBs. What does he know we don't?)

49ers if they decide Jimmy is too expensinve

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...under contract for $17 mil in 2018......doubt Andy cuts him and comes up empty handed......trade or he stays IMO....

Trade Andy back his number 1.  Would be a great deal for us.

Championship

As long as we draft a top QB prospect who is tagged as "THE GUY" and Smith is used as filler until THE GUY is ready to play, I'd be down with that.

Smith is an improvement over Tyrod, though they are both cut from the same cloth.

Not sure Alex Smith would be down on this plan.  What term would he demand in a K?

Would he sign for a year or 2?

Edited by Fadingpain

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Jets

Cardinals

Washington if they dump cousins

Clowns

Broncos (Elway loves signing veteran QBs. What does he know we don't?)

49ers if they decide Jimmy is too expensinve

Trade Andy back his number 1.  Would be a great deal for us.

Championship

....speculation about Andy says a 2nd......would you or would you not?........

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

In 1/2 a NY hearbeat

...here's an interesting tidbit from Buffalo lore for you to chew on....when Alex was a UFA, the OBD braintrusts and omnipotent "Purveyors of QB Development" termed him a "lateral move from Fitzy" and passed....their QB position assessment is legendary...it is just NOT that an important of a position....