Marvin Lewis will leave Bengals after this season

YoloinOhio

I like this guy as a coach. They may not have won meaningful games, but constantly in the playoff hunt during his time. He has always been smart about his hiring of assistants and gotten the most out of the talent they have had. Mostly mid level kinda players but he’s gotten the most out of them. Most of his assistants are head coaches now. I’d be interested to see what team/role he ends up with depending what his next steps for his career are 

8 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I like this guy as a coach. They may not have won meaningful games, but constantly in the playoff hunt during his time. He has always been smart about his hiring of assistants and gotten the most out of the talent they have had. Mostly mid level kinda players but he’s gotten the most out of them. Most of his assistants are head coaches now. I’d be interested to see what team/role he ends up with depending what his next steps for his career are 

They were only in the playoff hunt after Dalton arrived.  

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....no "bring Marvin in" threads to replace Frazier yet....hmmm......probably soon........

Well ... first we need to see who the next head coach is after McDermott is fired, tarred, feathered and hanged - because after all, he did punt instead of going for it on 4th and one last week.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Well ... first we need to see who the next head coach is after McDermott is fired, tarred, feathered and hanged - because after all, he did punt instead of going for it on 4th and one last week.

....my bad......forgot the "One & Done Gang" had spoken.........must be reassuring for them to know when you're hired in Buffalo, your lot spot assignment has a sign that says, FIFTEEN MINUTE PARKING"....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

It was time. 

Lewis needs to move to the front office in a player development role. I think what Lewis does best is mentor young men into growing up and developing skills needed to be professionals. With all the risky players the Bengals bring in they don’t seem to have anymore off field issues than the average team. I think Lewis deserves a lot of the credit for this.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

He was going to be our HC except Donahoe chose Greg Williams.  At that time both were hot commodity.  In fact we chose the wrong guy among Greg,  Marvin and John Fox.  Both Fox and Lewis have had long tenure as Head Coach whereas GW never got that chance again.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

They were only in the playoff hunt after Dalton arrived.  

That is Bull..  They have been in the hunt since Palmer was drafted.  They would have won that game against the Steelers (In Cincinnati) if Palmer did not blow out his knee before half time.

28 minutes ago, ganesh said:

He was going to be our HC except Donahoe chose Greg Williams.  At that time both were hot commodity.  In fact we chose the wrong guy among Greg,  Marvin and John Fox.  Both Fox and Lewis have had long tenure as Head Coach whereas GW never got that chance again.

That is Bull..  They have been in the hunt since Palmer was drafted.  They would have won that game against the Steelers (In Cincinnati) if Palmer did not blow out his knee before half time.

....yup...El Presidente Donohole (1st disaster was bestowing the title which fueled his control freak ego) hired Williams for a whopping 900 grand.......he was a cheap greenhorn rook HC who would definitely subordinate to Tom Terrific......"here's your personnel now make it work" is how I envision zero input.....Marvin or John would have never put up with no say in personnel IMO....Williams was just another coordinator who didn't cut it as a HC and went back to his coordinator roots like many do.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, billsherd said:

Does he make all personnel decisions at Bengals?

Dont the bengals only employ like 3 scouts and half are ownership family members (slightly exaggerated but only slightly from when he started- I think a real staff now)

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Dont the bengals only employ like 3 scouts and half are ownership family members (slightly exaggerated but only slightly from when he started- I think a real staff now)

They used to have 1 1/2 college scouts at one time. One of them was part time. It was John Cooper (former OSU coach). Hes now a “consultant”. They used online scouting reports to help them draft. 

They have beefed it up a little but still one of the smallest Scouting departments in the league because mike brown is cheap.

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

...probably...the Brown family is....um....er....spendthrifts..........

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You would assume they’d be relieved instead.

He isn’t under contract for next year, so can’t really be “fired” just non-renewed. He knows he’s done so just announcing it before they do. I don’t know what kind of contracts his assistants have, but typically they are the same as the HC since he brought them all in.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He isn’t under contract for next year, so can’t really be “fired” just non-renewed. He knows he’s done so just announcing it before they do. I don’t know what kind of contracts his assistants have, but typically they are the same as the HC since he brought them all in.

I wasn’t aware his contract was up after this year.

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I wasn’t aware his contract was up after this year.

Yeah Mike Brown has been giving him 1year deals for awhile now because he’s always on the verge of getting fired. It’s hilarious how cheap he is. They try to say Marvin wants it that way but I don’t believe them. Now he faces a HC market where 5 year deals for HCs with no experience are the norm. Save your pennies Mike.