Bills love Sam Darnold?

HappyDays

Makes a ton of sense (the Bills' interest, that is). As I've said elsewhere, Darnold would be a damn fool to stay in college because he's going #1 overall if he comes out. He'll learn more playing for a pro team next year (and be a lot wealthier) than if he stays in the Pac-12 regardless of whether he's a day one starter or not. 

Does anyone here think Jared Goff regrets coming out as a junior and taking his lumps for the Rams last year?

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I might not have been clear.  Sorry to have been confusing.  Certainly, one would need either SF or Chicago to lose out.  Otherwise, Browns and Giants are locked into the first two picks.  Yolo is convinced the Browns will trade the pick, but I can't believe even they are that stupid.

I kind of agree that Cleveland could trade out. They have been bad for so long and have Kiser, I would think they would grab a QB later in the first while adding more picks that could have them stocked up to make one heck of team. This draft has some interesting choices for QBs but I think Cleveland will build around and then take a later QB to fight Kiser in 2019, just MO.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I might not have been clear.  Sorry to have been confusing.  Certainly, one would need either SF or Chicago to lose out.  Otherwise, Browns and Giants are locked into the first two picks.  Yolo is convinced the Browns will trade the pick, but I can't believe even they are that stupid.

The Giants will win at least one for Eli before it's all said and done. 3 of their final 4 are at home.

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Interesting.  There are a lot of hurdles though.  Darnold is said to be mulling the idea of returning to school for his senior season.  If he doesn't there is the question of where his value lies.  There's no doubt he's a first round pick, but I think there is some question how high he could be picked and still be a good value.  Some prognosticators think he will be the first play taken in the draft, but others have several other QBs rated higher.  The question for Buffalo is how much are they willing to over pay for the right to draft him.  They can either over pay or gamble that he drops.  Then, it's also possible that Beane is pulling a few pages from the books of other GMs and blowing Sam Darnold smoke when the player he really covets is someone else entirely.

I like Darnold and he might be able to start his first year, but there are some things he's got to work on.  He does have a really good pedigree as many in his family have been quality athletes in a number of sports.

He will be the top pick, and I can't imagine him not coming out given that likelihood.  He's not at USC for school. Both his father and grandfather were college football players, and his mom is a phys ed teacher, for chrissake. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

I kind of agree that Cleveland could trade out. They have been bad for so long and have Kiser, I would think they would grab a QB later in the first while adding more picks that could have them stocked up to make one heck of team. This draft has some interesting choices for QBs but I think Cleveland will build around and then take a later QB to fight Kiser in 2019, just MO.

Yeah, I don't know how the Browns view Kizer.  If they truly think he can develop into a franchise qb, they could trade out.  If that pick is available and at the top of the draft, we better pony up the assets and go get it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

That's the thing. The top dogs in the draft like Allen and Darnold has had very underwhelming seasons. It was the borderline 2nd to 3rd guys like Falk, Rudolph and Mayfield who had similar or better years then the so called franchise QBs. The one QB that is the exception is Rosen but I don't see anyway he doesn't go #1. I'd rather use a first on Mayfield or a 2nd on Falk then use 2 1sts on Darnold/Allen. 

Lamar Jackson is considered a top 10 pick and has had a great year but he takes a lot of risks that he will not be allowed to have at the NFL level. We need a more prototypical QB and Jackson is not that.

I have been changing my feelings about this class lately, I think Rudolph stock is going to climb and man I do not want Jackson at all on the Bills. Not a fan of Allen either, I like Mayfield but a little worried about him on the Bills.

I want the Bills to move up and get the guy they want not hope for a QB to fall to them. I hate when a team says we got our guy when all they did was take what was left.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yeah, I don't know how the Browns view Kizer.  If they truly think he can develop into a franchise qb, they could trade out.  If that pick is available and at the top of the draft, we better pony up the assets and go get it.

I think I will lose my mind if we get Rosen, I want Rosen bigtime

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BILLriant said:

I hope not..USC quarterback are bad in the pros. Carson Palmer is the apex.

That's a generalization.  Maybe Darnold is set to be the apex.  I think Rosen and Darnold are the best options out there and both can be very good.

15 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sam Darnold’s grandfather was named Dick Hammer.  He was an actor that played the Marlboro Man, and also played football at USC.  That’s cool.

In an interview on National Sports Radio he mentioned that his grandfather was in the Olympics, had a career has a LA County Firefighter and was in the TV show Emergency. Also in the epic film Stalion Canyon ,he played the role of Luke not the Stallion.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

The Seahawks already had a talented team when they went without first round picks in 3 drafts, dude!  :doh:  They weren't trying to build up talent on a team that's full of JAGs, career STers, and PS refugees.  Oh, and they haven't been quite so "fine" either.  Russell Wilson, another QB the Bills could have taken but chose a WR bust instead,  is like 80-90% of their offense and the only reason they don't have a losing record this season.

The assumption is that all first round picks are all proor pro bowl players. The reality is most are not, many are busts and many others are just OK. In football more than any other sport you can find very talented players in mid rounds and late rounds.

That's what the Seahawks did so well...

Kam Chancellor(5th)

Richard Sherman(5th)

Byron Maxwell(6th)

KJ Wright(4th)

Bobby Wagner(2nd)

Russell Wilson(3rd)

Doug Baldwin(UDFA)

Max Unger(2nd)

Golden Tate(2nd)

Tyler Lockett(3rd)

These players have combined for 7 first team All-Pro selections and 20 Pro-Bowls(21 if you include Justin Forsett's pro bowl with the Ravens...he was drafted in the 6th round by Seattle)

When you can draft this well in the mid and late rounds you can afford to give up first round picks when needed...

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, BILLriant said:

I hope not..USC quarterback are bad in the pros. Carson Palmer is the apex.

That was the meme about Michigan QBs from the 1960s through the 1990s. And the meme about John Teaford-coached QBs for about a decade or so. Then Brady and Rodgers came along. Never judge the school; always judge the player instead. 

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The assumption is that all first round picks are all pro players. The reality is most are not, many are busts and many others are just OK. In football more than any other sport you can find very talented players in mid rounds and late rounds.

Kam Chancellor(5th)

Richard Sherman(5th)

Byron Maxwell(6th)

KJ Wright(4th)

Bobby Wagner(2nd)

Russell Wilson(3rd)

Doug Baldwin(UDFA)

Max Unger(2nd)

Golden Gate(2nd)

Tyler Lockett(3rd)

These players have combined for 7 first team All-Pro selections and 20 Pro-Bowls(21 if you include Justin Forsett's pro bowl with the Ravens...he was drafted in the 6th round by Seattle)

When you can draft this well in the mid and late rounds you can afford to give up picks when needed...

Their best defensive player (arguably) -- Michael Bennett -- wasn't even drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That was the meme about Michigan QBs from the 1960s through the 1990s. And the meme about John Teaford-coached QBs for about a decade or so. Then Brady and Rodgers came along. Never judge the school; always judge the player instead. 

Good post man but sadly I have been sour on Clemson players here, lol had me thinking of my own bias, sorry carry on.

15 hours ago, fridge said:

I saw him in person this year and made a point to focus on his awareness. Let's just say that I don't get the hype.

Darnolds hype stems from last year a lot more that its been from this year.  If you isolated his tape from just this year he wouldn't be any than the 4th or 5th prospect at QB this year, and may be a fringe first rounder.

Thats the rub with Darnold...which guy is the guy you are drafting?  He has all the tools, and I was high on Darnold too coming into the season, but he hasn't looked like a slam dunk prospect this year and struggles with consistency.  

While I would still love to get him, I am concerned about spending too much to get him. If we have to go all the way up to #2, thats going to likely cost a bounty and he is inherently more risky now to spend that much to get him.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Darnolds hype stems from last year a lot more that its been from this year.  If you isolated his tape from just this year he wouldn't be any than the 4th or 5th prospect at QB this year, and may be a fringe first rounder.

Thats the rub with Darnold...which guy is the guy you are drafting?  He has all the tools, and I was high on Darnold too coming into the season, but he hasn't looked like a slam dunk prospect this year and struggles with consistency.  

While I would still love to get him, I am concerned about spending too much to get him. If we have to go all the way up to #2, thats going to likely cost a bounty and he is inherently more risky now to spend that much to get him.

He has been a little inconsistent, but let's not make too much of this. He has had an objectively good season (26 TDs to 12 INTs and 8.7 ypa; his completion pct was higher than Rosen's too) against big-time competition (relatively speaking), and he played extremely well against a good Stanford team in the championship game. Indeed, he has a penchant for playing well in big games (UCLA, Stanford, Penn State). SC lost at Wazzoo 30-27, but that is a really tough place to play. SC stunk vs ND, but every great player has a bad game now and then.   

14 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I just want the Bills to identify their guy and then pay whatever price they need to get him.

I dont care about future first round picks. Teams do just fine without them when they make these moves...Seattle went 3 or 4 straight drafts with no first round pick in the middle of their super bowl runs and it had no real effect on them.

Word. im on with that sht. Just sign a legitimate prospect. IDC who it is as long as they play good and have potential.

45 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

In football more than any other sport you can find very talented players in mid rounds and late rounds.

Kam Chancellor(5th)

Richard Sherman(5th)

Byron Maxwell(6th)

KJ Wright(4th)

Bobby Wagner(2nd)

Russell Wilson(3rd)

Doug Baldwin(UDFA)

Max Unger(2nd)

Golden Tate(2nd)

Tyler Lockett(3rd)

That is an insane amount of talent in the lower draft rounds. Its basically finding the talent not the hype.

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wonder whos gonna have the better career Mahomes or Watson.

Watson flashed early and got hurt. Bills coulda pulled the trigger on either one at 10 and missed out.

I dont want us to make the mistake again. Find the right talent, ignore the hype, and sign. Just get that sht done, everyone knows we need a QB

R

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

I agree Rosen is top dog in this draft. As for Darnold he already lost some of his stock for this draft and is now #2 IMO if he stays and flops after another year in school his stock could push him down even more, maybe even out of the 1st round for 2019 draft. I think it would be silly for him to not enter the NFL in this draft. 

I think Darnold is a good fit for the Giants and Rosen a great fit for the Buffalo Bills

Rosen also played on a reallllyyyyyy bad team and still got to six wins while USC was top 10.  If some team with a little bit of talent traded up for him, I think he's plug and play from day 1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

That's the thing. The top dogs in the draft like Allen and Darnold has had very underwhelming seasons. It was the borderline 2nd to 3rd guys like Falk, Rudolph and Mayfield who had similar or better years then the so called franchise QBs. The one QB that is the exception is Rosen but I don't see anyway he doesn't go #1. I'd rather use a first on Mayfield or a 2nd on Falk then use 2 1sts on Darnold/Allen. 

Lamar Jackson is considered a top 10 pick and has had a great year but he takes a lot of risks that he will not be allowed to have at the NFL level. We need a more prototypical QB and Jackson is not that.

Darnold didn’t have an underwhelming season whatsoever. And USC won the PAC-12.

Sure he made some dumb throws but he had a good year. And he showed he’s an NFL talent. Guy should be going back for one more year though.

Which I think he is.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

their front office is gonna get canned and will not hang themselves hoping kizer develops. they will take a qb and if kizer has talent they trade him like the pats did with jimmy. 

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The Giants will win at least one for Eli before it's all said and done. 3 of their final 4 are at home.

He will be the top pick, and I can't imagine him not coming out given that likelihood.  He's not at USC for school. Both his father and grandfather were college football players, and his mom is a phys ed teacher, for chrissake. 

I am a relatively casual observer of NFL prospects in college.  My observation is that among those who take prospect watching far more seriously, there is absolutely no consensus about who the top QB is, or who will be the top pick in the draft.  For example: I just looked at a random list of most of the mock drafts published on the internet over the past 6 days.  Of the 14 mocks, Sam Darnold is the top overall pick in three of them.  Josh Rosen is the top pick in 8 of them.  Lamar Jackson is named in two of them and Saquon Barkley in one.  I don't know that any of these mock drafts have been produced by former NFL GMs or any kind of certified experts.  I am pretty sure that you are not an expert either.  You are welcome to your opinion.  Just please remember that's all it is, just like mine.

30 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Sure he made some dumb throws but he had a good year. And he showed he’s an NFL talent. Guy should be going back for one more year though.

Which I think he is.

Not saying he was bad. He had a decent year. But he regressed... His freshman year was better. He was being talked about as the best prospect since Luck. He was expected to make a huge jump and be in contention for Heisman. However it didn't happen and that's why I called it underwhelming... It's underwhelming in regards to what was being expected of him as potentially the best QB prospect since Luck

40 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Which I think he is.

Why should he go back assuming he's the #1 pick? That doesn't make sense to me. He'll learn more about football in the NFL, where he'll focus on it year round, than in the Pac-12. 

12 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I am a relatively casual observer of NFL prospects in college.  My observation is that among those who take prospect watching far more seriously, there is absolutely no consensus about who the top QB is, or who will be the top pick in the draft.  For example: I just looked at a random list of most of the mock drafts published on the internet over the past 6 days.  Of the 14 mocks, Sam Darnold is the top overall pick in three of them.  Josh Rosen is the top pick in 8 of them.  Lamar Jackson is named in two of them and Saquon Barkley in one.  I don't know that any of these mock drafts have been produced by former NFL GMs or any kind of certified experts.  I am pretty sure that you are not an expert either.  You are welcome to your opinion.  Just please remember that's all it is, just like mine.

That's true, but I put some stock in this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000877512/article/ask-5-whos-better-nfl-prospect-sam-darnold-or-josh-rosen.

Bear in mind that I'm a UCLA alum and think Rosen is excellent. I just think that Darnold is the better prospect for a host of reasons. They're both good, however.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why should he go back assuming he's the #1 pick? That doesn't make sense to me. He'll learn more about football in the NFL, where he'll focus on it year round, than in the Pac-12. 

That's true, but I put some stock in this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000877512/article/ask-5-whos-better-nfl-prospect-sam-darnold-or-josh-rosen.

Bear in mind that I'm a UCLA alum and think Rosen is excellent. I just think that Darnold is the better prospect for a host of reasons. They're both good, however.

It makes plenty of sense. He could still improve on his game without the added pressures of the NFL. He could attempt a shot at a championship. He’s only started 22 games. He could use more experience and still go #1 next year while going to USC and enjoy being a kid.

I bet he stays. I do see your point though. He could just take the money and come out. I hope not.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

We have something in common DaveM. Also a Bruin alum and lifelong season ticket holder I have some reservations on Rosen. His durability and passion for the game? Darnold has the famous "it" factor. Rosen just doesn't. I think the Browns will mistakenly take Rosen, opening the door for us to trade up. Yes it will be expensive but in the long run worth it.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He has been a little inconsistent, but let's not make too much of this. He has had an objectively good season (26 TDs to 12 INTs and 8.7 ypa; his completion pct was higher than Rosen's too) against big-time competition (relatively speaking), and he played extremely well against a good Stanford team in the championship game. Indeed, he has a penchant for playing well in big games (UCLA, Stanford, Penn State). SC lost at Wazzoo 30-27, but that is a really tough place to play. SC stunk vs ND, but every great player has a bad game now and then.   

I hear ya, but we are also talking about a trade up that in recent examples have cost teams a bounty, even Chi gave up a ton to go up one spot from 3 to 2 last year.  I keep seeing people packaging both our firsts, but honestly, to get up to #2 this year I don't know if that is going to be enough and could cost even more picks.  

So now you have to weigh the costs more closely with the risks.  And his season hasn't been strong enough to just blindly say trade what ever we can to get him when there are other good QB prospects that may cost quite less like Baker and Mason for example.  And don't get me wrong, I would still love to get Darnold, but his cost makes me nervous after the underwhelming season this year compared to expectations.

I still think Baker Mayfield is going to be a Buffalo Bill next year.  Although wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the trigger to get Darnold, especially if they love him considering we got so many draft assets.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I hadn't seen that article from Jeremiah.  Very interesting.  It's not set in stone, but NFL executive opinions carry more weight than the Mel Kipers and Todd McShays of the world.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Their best defensive player (arguably) -- Michael Bennett -- wasn't even drafted.

Yeah I missed that one...add 2 more pro bowls to the list...22 pro bowls combined for players not drafted in the first round...including 3 from UDFA's...that is beyond phenomenal drafting.

In regards to Darnold, We dont even know if he will declare...he might stay in school another year

Edited by matter2003

You won't find a team that doesn't love Darnold.  Unfortunately I don't see him coming out this year.

People acting like Darnold regressed or had a bad year just didn't watch college football.

The kid is a once in a lifetime talent, he will go 1st overall.

It took him a couple games to get into a grove, but after that, you can clearly see his talent.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Dick Hammer ? Pretty cool, Damn  if that's not the most masculine sounding name possible. I feel like I need to go hunt a few Elk or something... 

I approve of this manly name

-Chest Rockwell. Boogie Nights

Darnold's ceiling is elite and probably more so than any other QB prospect in the 2018 draft. He's been a little inconsistent this year but he's raw even for a college player. Thing is he consistently flashes jaw dropping ability in all of the required skills for playing the all important position at the next level. If he declares for the draft he will probably need two years as the #1 guy before he starts to take charge of games, especially if he goes to a rebuilding team like the Bills. In a best case scenario he'll be like Troy Aikman that way. In a worst case he will never achieve the consistency needed to be a great QB. 

Rosen is a great fit for a team planning on running a WCO. 

I'd be delirious if the Bills got either of these guys. Don't see it happening tho. 

20 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

His face is too small to be a franchise QB.  He looks like something cobbled together from the afterbirth of Jimmy Clausen.

This is spot on. 

Rosen, on the other hand, has more of a prototypical qb body. Big hands, broad shoulders, big meaty face. It'd be hard to pass that up some some scrunch-faced little prick.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I hear ya, but we are also talking about a trade up that in recent examples have cost teams a bounty, even Chi gave up a ton to go up one spot from 3 to 2 last year.  I keep seeing people packaging both our firsts, but honestly, to get up to #2 this year I don't know if that is going to be enough and could cost even more picks.  

So now you have to weigh the costs more closely with the risks.  And his season hasn't been strong enough to just blindly say trade what ever we can to get him when there are other good QB prospects that may cost quite less like Baker and Mason for example.  And don't get me wrong, I would still love to get Darnold, but his cost makes me nervous after the underwhelming season this year compared to expectations.

I still think Baker Mayfield is going to be a Buffalo Bill next year.  Although wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the trigger to get Darnold, especially if they love him considering we got so many draft assets.  

Mayfield would be a mistake. You just can't bank on a short QB.

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

While I hear what you are saying, guys like Russel Wilson and Drew Bree's say otherwise which are 2 of the top 4 best QB's in the NFL right now both with SB Rings too.  I don't think Baker being less than ideal height would scare too many teams off.

6 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

2 years ago the Bills loves Wentz. You can love them all you want, but if you never ask them out they end up with someone else. 

Bills need to go get their QB. 

They didnt have 2 first round picks that year.  Boths 1 and next years first gives them almost any position in the draft.  They need to get a Qb.  Draft seems to have better prospects then most.  Do what you got to do to get one.  Gms out smart themselves all the time by thinking they are jimmy johnson building the cowboys.

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I hear what you are saying, guys like Russel Wilson and Drew Bree's say otherwise which are 2 of the top 4 best QB's in the NFL right now both with SB Rings too.  I don't think Baker being less than ideal height would scare too many teams off.

For every Brady, Brees and Wilson there are 5 Trent edwards and Matt Barkleys.

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

They didnt have 2 first round picks that year.  Boths 1 and next years first gives them almost any position in the draft.  They need to get a Qb.  Draft seems to have better prospects then most.  Do what you got to do to get one.  Gms out smart themselves all the time by thinking they are jimmy johnson building the cowboys.

Manziel

33 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

But OU has some big dudes on their line, and he still remains a pocket QB first & foremost. Unlike Tyrod who is 6'1 according to the official NFL profile page but looks 5'8 behind his line, Mayfield actually looks like he belongs with the group and has good field vision.

Who knows though... I could be completely wrong, but I like what I see from Mayfield. If he kills it in their playoff game, then wins a National Championship (I doubt it, but still), I'd find it hard to look past him for anyone.

I think smaller qbs can succeed in the NFL.  Not sure in the northeast.  If you want a guy who makes things happen on broken plays and outside of the pocket than you go jackson.  He is mike vick but right handed and 6-2 220.

7 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

2 years ago the Bills loves Wentz. You can love them all you want, but if you never ask them out they end up with someone else. 

Bills need to go get their QB. 

The Bills best pick-up line is "hey, at least we aren't Cleveland!"

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Do you really believe that?  If true, then heck yeah, get Darnold.  You say having 2 firsts plus next year's #1 gets us almost any pick.  Do you believe that would get us the first pick in the draft?