Gronk committed deliberate, intentional, and defenseless criminal assault with his metal elbow brace

reginald

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

You are missing the crucial (and, I thought obvious) point that what Gronk did was well after the play had ended.  It had nothing to do with a football play.  It was a cowardly assault, no different from a batter clubbing an unsuspecting catcher with his bat between pitches.  I am amazed you can’t see that.

It's a lot different than that.  Come on, man.

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Correct. Even Rodney Harrison said last night he would be in jail if this happened on the street. 

And he made it perfectly clear that Gronkowski should be suspended...a former Patriot, too.

My worry is that since Crabtree & Talib had their suspensions reduced from 2 games to 1 for their all-over-the-field, temper-tantrum spat, then Gronkowski will get a fine and a wrist-slap.

As mush as this may sound like sour grapes, you can't convince me that Gronk isn't roiding it up. Don't give me the "heat of the battle" argument, either.

Edited by BuffaloWings

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So if you put yourself in Tre White shoes I'm assuming you tell everyone it's not a big deal and it's just the NFL?

Edited by Lfod

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Not so sure about that.  I would like to know what the elbow brace is made of, direct and powerful elbow to the head with a brace, gronk putting all his body weight in it. 

Notice Gronk's footwork before he rears up to gain more leverage to come down on his head.  The more you look at it the more deliberate and disgusting it is, he set up tre white for as forceful an impact as possible.

1 minute ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Interesting point. If a baseball player swings his bat at a player's head would there be criminal charges? Should be.

It is an interesting point.  Consider this too, the DA in Erie County doesn't need the NFL's permission to file a charge.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hyperbole much?

It was a dirty hit.  Very dirty.  But no one came close to dying and he shouldn't be brought up on criminal charges.  This wasn't a curling match, for Christ's sake. 

Actually, it was a criminal hit.  It was after the play.  Hockey players have been charged criminally, and fighting is permitted in the sport.  If it was during a play and it was a dirty chop-block, perhaps not criminal.  This was.  

20 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

Real life criminal charges, no. Suspended for the rest of the season to send the message this is unacceptable, yes. But I'm sure Goodell and Kraft and kissed and made up since deflategate, so probably not happening.

The DA should file criminal charges if the NFL does not suspend Gronk for at least 2 games--if not the season.  Sends the message that if the NFL won't protect players from after the whistle hits, DA's will.  

1 minute ago, reginald said:

May not be up to the NFL and Goodell. This should be a law enforcement matter. Gronk intentionally used his "metal elbow" as a deadly weapon. His actions were not part of the game of football. This was assault.

BINGO.  This is the exact standard used in other cases.  Hopefully the Erie County DA takes action if the weak-kneed NFL won't.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I agree with this.  It seems like an easy decision.  Looking at comments sections, even Pats fans agree that it was an awful thing.  Such a cowardly and dangerous attack.  

The decision to suspend is easy, in light of all the factors (including the score/time of the game)... the hard part will be pushing it to more than 1 game (which IMO should be 3-4 games).  The NFL will likely come up short.

I agree, they will likely come up short.  If they suspend Zeke Elliot for what, 6 games, they should suspend Gronk the rest of the regular season but i highly doubt the NFL will have the balls to do that.  Entire system for suspensions is a farce.

Just now, RyanC883 said:

The DA should file criminal charges if the NFL does not suspend Gronk for at least 2 games--if not the season.  Sends the message that if the NFL won't protect players from after the whistle hits, DA's will.  

I hear ya, but that would cross a line pro sports isn't ready to cross anytime soon. It's a pseudo world of self-governance that doesn't involve real law on field. Out of my own bias, I'd LOVE for you to be right but objectively, I'm not seeing it.

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No.  It wouldn't.  It would be a personal foul; he'd get fined and suspended.  Just like what will - and should - happen to Gronkowski.

image.png.8fff639c41564ffc84c8e4a909e6a4be.png

Just now, ProcessTheTrust said:

I hear ya, but that would cross a line pro sports isn't ready to cross anytime soon. It's a pseudo world of self-governance that doesn't involve real law on field. Out of my own bias, I'd LOVE for you to be right but objectively, I'm not seeing it.

I agree that 'pro sports' isn't ready to cross that line, but it isn't really up to them.  An enterprising DA can make this decision and pursue a case with or without the cooperation of the NFL or the Buffalo Bills.

9 minutes ago, Lfod said:

So if you put yourself in Tre White shoes I'm assuming you tell everyone it's not a big deal and it's just the NFL?

Wow.  That is EXACTLY what I would do!!  Very impressive how you deduced that from absolutely !@#$ing nothing!

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

It's just not assault. I wish it were, but it's not. 

It should be more than a 1-game suspension. I wish it will be, but it won't. 

100% agree with the poster who said P. Brown should wear panties all week. Pitts, too. "Family"... psh, okay, sure. 

Sure it’s assault.  WTF are you talking about?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Sure it’s assault.  WTF are you talking about?

OK, let me clarify. I think it's assault, but I do not think anyone who has any power to do anything is going to argue it's assault. 

Edit: There's also a slippery slope here. How long after the hit until it becomes assault? 1 second? 2 seconds? I wish it weren't the case, but it being on a football field unfortunately makes a practical difference. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Wow.  That is EXACTLY what I would do!!  Very impressive how you deduced that from absolutely !@#$ing nothing!

so with 400 million posts I dont expect you to heed this advice, but maybe quit while you're ahead

7 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

image.png.8fff639c41564ffc84c8e4a909e6a4be.png

I agree that 'pro sports' isn't ready to cross that line, but it isn't really up to them.  An enterprising DA can make this decision and pursue a case with or without the cooperation of the NFL or the Buffalo Bills.

Very interesting point, imagine the publicity, yes this is something an enterprising DA could use to boost his/her career.  Instant national publicity and hero worship in WNY.

57 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hyperbole much?

It was a dirty hit.  Very dirty.  But no one came close to dying and he shouldn't be brought up on criminal charges.  This wasn't a curling match, for Christ's sake. 

Bertuzzi got criminal charges for his hit on Moore, I believe. Certainly, not out of the realm. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

OK, let me clarify. I think it's assault, but I do not think anyone who has any power to do anything is going to argue it's assault. 

If the NFL decides not to suspend hm, I wouldn’t be so sure about that. 

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

so with 400 million posts I dont expect you to heed this advice, but maybe quit while you're ahead

With my 400,000,001st post, I will ask you this:  Ahead in what?  This is a conversation; not a debate.

I think you consider the severity of the action. Put it on a scale. Out of everything you could possibly do wrong after a play were does it rank in your mind? Could you think of a worse thing a player can do? Then you let the punishment fit the crime. There's a difference between a speeding ticket and committing murder. 

You let the punishment equal the severity of the action or you send the wrong message. It looked to me he had the intent to hurt the dude. It wasn't a welcome to the NFL love tap. It was ok you intercepted a ball thrown to me I am going to hurt you after the play. That's a calculated thought out move to hurt some one who made a play on you.

Edited by Lfod

4 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Bertuzzi got criminal charges for his hit on Moore, I believe. Certainly, not out of the realm. 

I agree.  I don't know if Gronk has a prior criminal record, but if he does, this could be a serious matter for him.

Just now, mannc said:

Ok, I'll bite.  How is it different?

First - I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I don't think there are similarities.  I do.  I just think using a baseball bat as a weapon is a lot worse than using an arm brace.  I get that Gronk used all of his body weight and clearly aimed his brace into White's helmet.  But a bat ... I just think it would be worse and a lot more dangerous.

Just now, Gugny said:

First - I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I don't think there are similarities.  I do.  I just think using a baseball bat as a weapon is a lot worse than using an arm brace.  I get that Gronk used all of his body weight and clearly aimed his brace into White's helmet.  But a bat ... I just think it would be worse and a lot more dangerous.

Brass knuckles are considered a deadly weapon and illegal in most places.  A steel gauntlet isn't much different, especially given who is wielding it

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

So you think a 270 lb rock-head diving and throwing his entire body weight on a much smaller man's head is less dangerous than striking someone with a baseball bat?  I'll stand by my analogy.  Gronkowski belongs in jail.  

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Brass knuckles are considered a deadly weapon and illegal in most places.  A steel gauntlet isn't much different, especially given who is wielding it

If the NFL is going to waste millions on deflategate then they the NFl really needs to examine that elbow brace to determine how much of a weapon it really could be.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

So you think a 270 lb rock-head diving and throwing his entire body weight on a much smaller man's head is less dangerous than striking someone with a baseball bat?  I'll stand by my analogy.  Gronkowski belongs in jail.  

As I wrote earlier, notice Gronk's footwork before he pile drives at his head, he was lining himself up to get max force to his head,  it was about as willful an act as I have ever seen on a football field.  Only player comes close if N. Duh.

39 minutes ago, mannc said:

You are missing the crucial (and, I thought obvious) point that what Gronk did was well after the play had ended.  It had nothing to do with a football play.  It was a cowardly assault, no different from a batter clubbing an unsuspecting catcher with his bat between pitches.  I am amazed you can’t see that.

Or a pitcher throwing at a batters head while he's stepped out of the batter's box and is looking at the base coach for signals, not paying any attention to the pitcher