Deandre Coleman is the Reason for Our Season ~ He Shut The Run Game Down

52 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

We have a Super Coleman doubter.

Mods, we have a Super Coleman doubter who has found their way into the thread here. Can fine folks you handle the situation please? Thank you.

... ok, sure let's go ahead and prematurely proclaim him as the Bills next perennial all star for the next 10-years...  Not sure where this spaz reaction is coming from.  I said I would love for this to be true in the post.  Sorry to point out that KC might not be the best way to judge the Bills, let alone this one guy.

5 hours ago, bmur66 said:

And this guy was just sitting around somewhere out of the league?

Yes. Isn't that weird?

On one hand like some posters mentioned, we can fault the Bills for not having someone available to fill in for Dareus right away.

On the other hand, not a bad job to have this guy ready on the shelf to bring in.

Same for Cadet the running back actually. He isn't bad at all for a guy they pulled out of thin air mid-season.

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Why was he only in on 14 plays?

As far as I saw, they didn't have him in early. They put him in once the Chiefs started to have run success.

Then once they started with him, he would be in on running situations. But this game they had Kyle and Coleman, mostly one or the other. So the Chiefs couldn't just gash us when Kyle was not in, like the other teams had been doing.

Then toward the end he was in less because the Chiefs were passing a lot.

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I love the big guys in the middle of a 4 man front. I know Kyle is a god to bills fans but we need bigger guys in there or a big guy with him to not get run over.

Mainly I think the trouble is Kyle doesn't play every down. He probably can't at his age. So now we have somebody else good against the run they can put in when Kyle is not in there,  whereas before we did not.

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

I'd love for this thread to be accurate.

But Kansas City has been struggling in pretty much every way possible over the past 5-games.  They a lost a similarly played game to the Giants one week ago...

This week vs the PATs will tell us everything about where the Bills are weak.

I am looking forward to the Pats game to see how 98 does. That will tell us more about how he does against a top notch offense.

54 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Feed that man! Great analysis OP...

I like to like Bills players I didn't realize I SHOULD be liking (if that makes sense)...

It does make to me! I feel the same.

39 minutes ago, Jobot said:

... ok, sure let's go ahead and prematurely proclaim him as the Bills next perennial all star for the next 10-years...  Not sure where this spaz reaction is coming from.  I said I would love for this to be true in the post.  Sorry to point out that KC might not be the best way to judge the Bills, let alone this one guy.

It was a joke.

It will be hard to know how much Coleman affects the run defense until they play a good run team.  And none of the teams remaining on the schedule are good running teams.  The Cheaters are the best with a mid-league YPC. 

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

We have a Super Coleman doubter.

Mods, we have a Super Coleman doubter who has found their way into the thread here. Can fine folks you handle the situation please? Thank you.

A DT on his fourth team in 4 seasons playing his second game for his current team is a significant factor in stopping the KC running game? Playing all of 14 snaps?

8 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

A DT on his fourth team in 4 seasons playing his second game for his current team is a significant factor in stopping the KC running game? Playing all of 14 snaps?

Yep. That is one thing that makes it so surprising.

And the 14 plays were 14 plays in which they could not run the ball up the middle. 

That is what I saw.

I

6 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't agree with your take on Dareus, but to each his own....however, we need to point out a HUUUUUGE mistake factually regarding Kyle Williams:

So far he has 41.5 sacks....he had 10.5 sacks in ONE year, the great year with Schwartz. Let's clear that up and edit please. Doing a disservice to the man who to me should go on Buffalo's Wall of Fame someday.

I'm not doing a disservice to anyone. I pointed out facts 

kyle Williams has 41.5 career sacks and Dareus has 35 in only 6.5 years 

That's my point to prove Dareus is a force. He has kyles stats in almost half the time

Dareus was a force here. He didn't mail it in

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I doubt ten years. He is like Mario Williams who relied on his talent but now is out of the League because of his lack of effort .

I didn't say 10 more years. I said by all accounts he will be a 10+ year defensive tackle

which doesn't happen to people who checked out and don't like football

he only needs 3 more years for 10. Guaranteed he reaches it.

players with no effort don't reach that. Even Mario was an all pro who showed effort at times. He wasn't a sloth for 10 straight years

Edited by Buffalo716

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I

I'm not doing a disservice to anyone. I pointed out facts 

kyle Williams has 41.5 career sacks and Dareus has 36 in only 6.5 years 

That's my point to prove Dareus is a force. He has kyles stats in almost half the time

Dareus was a force here. He didn't mail it in

I didn't say 10 more years. I said by all accounts he will be a 10+ year defensive tackle

which doesn't happen to people who checked out and don't like football

he only needs 3 more years for 10. Guaranteed he reaches it.

players with no effort don't reach that. Even Mario was an all pro who showed effort at times. He wasn't a sloth for 10 straight years

I will disagree that he "didn't mail it in" for much of his career after his contract. I disagree, but that's perfectly ok. 

Just now, BigBuff423 said:

I will disagree that he "didn't mail it in" for much of his career after his contract. I disagree, but that's perfectly ok. 

I understand why people believe he mailed it in after the contract...

but again

DT is the most selfless position on defense. We got spoiled with Sam Adams and Pat Washington and Kyle and Marcell.

DTs don't put up stats. They take double and triple teams and fill gaps

Marcell Dareus was playing hurt but he was 100% still our best run stuffer. He was the only guy we had that commanded a double every play

peoole are irritated because he doesn't get 10 sacks a year. That's the only reason people can complain 

because when he played on Sunday's he was the only immovable object on the line. One of the best run stuffers in the NFL and the best on our line

everybody can have their opinions of Dareus but he's still one of the best DTs in the game. You don't lose it. He's 27

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Ever heard of one man's trash is another man's treasure?

Or, what works for us may not work for them?

So by your logic, after your 1st relationship didn't work out, you should have been labeled a bust, or not good enough.

Many examples of players in the NFL who are either put in the wrong system, or wrong position, maybe wrong coaching, wrong training, maybe also they haven't matured yet. This guy might be a gem. But you quick to count him out. My question is, why?

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He was with the Bills last season as well as earlier this season.  He was a Street FA. 

Thank you for the information. Terrific addition and good roll player. This was good work by Whaley and his scouting department. It goes to show you that good player development is part and parcel to building a roster. 

1 hour ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Ever heard of one man's trash is another man's treasure?

Or, what works for us may not work for them?

So by your logic, after your 1st relationship didn't work out, you should have been labeled a bust, or not good enough.

Many examples of players in the NFL who are either put in the wrong system, or wrong position, maybe wrong coaching, wrong training, maybe also they haven't matured yet. This guy might be a gem. But you quick to count him out. My question is, why?

I used to be amazed by this type of rhetoric. Now I'm just sad for those who go to this extent to prove their point. 

Comparing human relationships to 340 street free agent DT's? Whoa. Mind blown. :lol:

Never mind that Coleman has already been released twice by the team in less than 3 months. If they thought he was a difference maker, it stands to reason they wouldn't have let him go. And that 31 other teams didn't need his services.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Well...he is 341 lbs...those 50 lbs give him a lot more strength than Washington at 295....

We didn't have that size in there since Dareus left. Now if Coleman plays more he will chew up double teams. They never had to double Worthy, Washington or Thorton. Once Kyle retires, we can draft or sign a big FA NT to compliment Coleman. I like Shaq's run stopping ability but I sure wish he was a better pass rusher. Coleman is a beast.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I used to be amazed by this type of rhetoric. Now I'm just sad for those who go to this extent to prove their point. 

Comparing human relationships to 340 street free agent DT's? Whoa. Mind blown. :lol:

Never mind that Coleman has already been released twice by the team in less than 3 months. If they thought he was a difference maker, it stands to reason they wouldn't have let him go. And that 31 other teams didn't need his services.

Here's another example for you.

Before the Bills released him, did they give him 14 snaps in live action in a game that counted? Did he know and understand the system? Was he asked to do something that he didn't feel comfortable with?

Come on man. Don't sit there and act like you're  the new GM everyone should hire. Don't act like you know talent or in your case, no talent because a guy got released from 4 teams. 

You see, I'm not saying Coleman is the next big thing. But I'm not counting him out. If he's given a chance, he COULD be. You already have him written off because 4 other teams wrote him off.

My analogy may not make sense to you, but YOUR way of thinking DAMN sure don't make sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

If Coleman's role is this important (single handedly fixing our inability to stop the run, particularly straight up the middle) then why the hell has this organization released him TWICE and why has he been on, off, on, off the practice squad!?

Seems like he slipped through the cracks and perhaps should have been given more of a look all along.

14 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I like my 2 DTs to total 680-700 pounds. My all-time favorite Bills DL was Ted Washington and Sam Adams in the middle at DT. Nearly 800 pounds of DT. That's like 3.5 players instead of 2.

NOBODY ran them over.

We need to draft a very big NT to replace Kyle...Adolphus is not the answer. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

BadLands, great job and thanks for putting all this together!

Agreed. Nice work.  

In addition to Coleman shoring up the middle, isn't KC one of the worst inside running teams in football?  This may have also been, in retrospect, exactly the right matchup for the Bills defense at the right time. 

20 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Hi Folks,

I was watching the game on all 22 because I had to cancel by midnight tonight or pay for the whole season.

I got stuck on just a few plays trying to figure them out. I will make a post on those later. But then see I was running out of time so I just started to let it run and watch it instead of rewinding and rewinding like I had been doing.

This is a play where they sacked Smith. I saw a Bills player somehow just run right through the Chiefs line. Like not through a hole in the line, but seemingly right through it. I watched closer and then, I saw this image go by. I says to myself, what the heck was that? Did I see that right? How come all those people are there but I only see one Bill? 

Here you can see what I saw and wondered about.

VadEo9J.jpg

There is another Bill in there you can see his legs sticking out of the bottom of the pile.. So, 2 Bills, 4 Chiefs, and one football in that picture.

Now I will show you what happened. If I sound a little childish, inexperienced, and excited, it is because I have never seen anything like this before.

Here is the beginning of the play. The slippery Bill 55 Hughes, (black arrow) is on the left. Deandre Coleman (blue arrow) is the Bill with two linemen on him.

6eaVpRm.jpg

Now Hughes (trying to go along the yellow line)has two guys on him. One of Coleman's men has shifted over to help with Hughes.

TEuuHvH.jpg

Now Coleman (7 Star Turbocharged Superman Arrow) hold his man off with one arm, slides over, and attacks all 3 of the Chiefs linemen.

Attacks all 3. There are only 2 Bills players here.  Only Hughes trying to get away, and Coleman are in this picture.

sbE9OzP.jpg

Now Hughes has got free and is after Smith. Smith will make a break for the big hole in front of him. Deandre Coleman sprung Hughes, but is now well blocked out of the  way.

2co4WRB.jpg

Now Coleman did make a mistake here. He hasn't noticed that he is blocked. He just pushes his man back towards the hash mark, making the hole smaller, and Hughes got hold of Smith but was unable to tackle him.

fO3O5UM.jpg

Three Chiefs lineman are pushing Hughes who is behind Smith, and Smith  forward, in the middle of that pile there. Coleman is pushing back. 

Zl5Oe60.jpg

Here is the side view.

h9MOVn4.jpg

And, the Chiefs lost the contest!

VadEo9J.jpg

I'm no football expert, but I was so, encouraged and stoked and  proud and excited because I personally have never seen anything like that before in my life.

I watched as many of our defensive snaps as I could after that, just focused on the line.

Here is what I saw. They were able to run towards the middle on us towards the start of the game.

The Bills then rotated Coleman in there more often.  They were then unable to run up the middle on us. 
Eventually the Chiefs gave up trying when he was in.

On passing downs the Bills would put 92 Washington in. He can penetrate for pass rishing or getting after the running back sometimes.. I did not see Coleman penetrate so I think that is his limitation at least at this time.

On running downs they were just flat unable to run in the middle with Coleman in. They got nothing.

You can double team this guy and he still doesn't budge.

Last week I had looked at the Chargers game and I wrote that the Chargers could push everyone but Kyle Williams around,. They could push Kyle Williams with two players, but that makes it harder to run using 2 guys to move one man.

This guy Coleman, they could not push him with two.

To me I think it is a sure thing that our being gashed in the running game just stopped, just went from record setting yardage to being shut down, was Deandre Coleman.

So there you go.

I like you. 

thanks a ton for breaking that out for us !

and YES i quoted the Whole thing !!

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

Well we all remember after the Dareus trade that we got gashed badly in the run game.  The move was to sign Coleman and cut Jerel Worthy. I liked Worthy but the truth was that Dareus at 335 was a run stuffer and Worthy at 300 could not hold up to what Dareus was doing for this D. Coleman at 340 is now the Dareus role. As he got up to speed our run D has been getting better. I doubt he matches Dareus production but his upside and salary will help us improve in other areas. I hope Coleman keeps improving and the Bills get into the playoffs.

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I like my 2 DTs to total 680-700 pounds. My all-time favorite Bills DL was Ted Washington and Sam Adams in the middle at DT. Nearly 800 pounds of DT. That's like 3.5 players instead of 2.

NOBODY ran them over.

oh yeah, got me salivating about that defense again. immovable in the middle. 

Yeah, I was concerned with the Bills D-line's lack of mass after they traded Dareus.  The concern I have with Coleman is he's pretty limited in pass defense.  I can see Bill Belichick passing on a lot of "run" downs and running the ball on so call "obvious" passing downs when Coleman is out of the lineup.  That's why, ultimately, you want guys on your D-line that are both big and athletic.

love the analysis, and appreciate Coleman holding up blockers like that. But is there a video on this? By my account Hughes just beat his man to pressure Smith, as Coleman dragged his blockers towards Hughes, not only bringing blockers towards Hughes but creating a huge gap. Between 2 pictures Smith looks likes he has a 20 yard run right through the middle, and then the next picture he just disappears under a pile of Chiefs.

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

It also stands to reason that when the Bills defense had melted down resulting a 3 game losing streak and headlines questioning if the head coach was even able to do the job (In over his head), and that the defensive coach needed to be fired, that maybe they wouldn't have turned to the next random schlub they saw walking by, to help them out with the main problem of all. Which was we were being crushed in the ruining game. It stands to reason they had a reason for picking him.

But that is just me right? They just grabbed whoever.

Ill ask another question. Did you even see him play? IF you watched the game, did you watch 98? Did you notice him, at all?

Here's another question: Who sits and watches a whole game in slow motion and rewinding as necessary, focusing only on the Bills DT position?

Did you?

I think the answer is me, and the defensive line coaches for the Chiefs and Bills, and also the Patriots who are coming this Sunday.

So not to disagree with you, but if you are not among those who watched that, then I will go ahead and believe what it was I saw with my own eyes.

But don't you let that change your opinion any. I am starting to get the idea that I seem better informed when you and I don't agree!

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

NOBODY ran them over.

That is a sore spot with me. As you say, NOBODY ran them over. Then they got rid of them and I watched teams run through the hole where they used to be, for years afterwards. All the while Donohoe denying it was happening. Im stil not over that. :( 

But it was awesome while they were here! :)

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

If Coleman's role is this important (single handedly fixing our inability to stop the run, particularly straight up the middle) then why the hell has this organization released him TWICE and why has he been on, off, on, off the practice squad!?

Seems like he slipped through the cracks and perhaps should have been given more of a look all along.

This reminds me of a story Mularkey once told.

Before here, he was on a coaching staff that kept trying to get rid of one player. But for years they couldn't. Because the guy could do something the others couldn't.

I don't know if that applies to Coleman but I don't think he would make a great special teamer for example.  Maybe he isn't as versatile as they want. Or something else like other have mentioned. Maybe he hasn't declared for The Process or whatever it is one has to do to become one of the Procession.

But if he continues like  he has I think they are stuck with him because otherwise everybody is going to get fired. They can't just keep giving up 300 yards and 50 points a game and expect to be here next year.

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I like you. 

thanks a ton for breaking that out for us !

and YES i quoted the Whole thing !!

Thanks man! :) And you are Very welcome!

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Agreed. Nice work.  

In addition to Coleman shoring up the middle, isn't KC one of the worst inside running teams in football?  This may have also been, in retrospect, exactly the right matchup for the Bills defense at the right time. 

I don't know how they rate. In some sense I figure things will probably level out somehow. Because what I saw was unbelievable. It was like a little miracle or a storybook. And that kind of thing doesn't last  and maybe not for the Bills in particular, most times. 

The contrast was also made much greater for me from having watched what the Chargers did to our line the week before. 

I will be watching the Pats game and hoping for more! :)

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

love the analysis, and appreciate Coleman holding up blockers like that. But is there a video on this? By my account Hughes just beat his man to pressure Smith, as Coleman dragged his blockers towards Hughes, not only bringing blockers towards Hughes but creating a huge gap. Between 2 pictures Smith looks likes he has a 20 yard run right through the middle, and then the next picture he just disappears under a pile of Chiefs.

It was on NFL.com all 22. I did the trail membership then dumped it because you have pay for the whole season.

Plus it was kind of ruining my life. I spent a LOT o ftime watching that stuff. It really interesting. I will get it next year but I will plan for it and try to have time for it.

Anyway, I don't have film of it. I wish I did. It was cooler on film.

So, for now you are stuck with what I saw. :/  I don't think Hughes would have got by without Coleman's help. 

And there was a big hole that closed because they could not get rid of Coleman, And they could not peel Hughes off Smith, because they could not get rid of Coleman. 

And then they tried to push Coleman down or out of the way, and they could not do it. I don't know what Hughes was doing he was engulfed in the Chiefs.

Then I watched the rest of the game and saw they they never pushed Coleman out of the way, ever. Even with two men on him. They did not try 3 that I saw. Maybe 3 could get him to move. Also Coleman can just push the line back. It is slow. He can't dart around the side. But when he pushed at the line it went backwards.

This allowed everyone else to do their jobs.

I would love to see Richie and Woods try to push him. That would tell us a lot. But we will see how it goes for Coleman in the coming games.

If it was me though, if I could play one NFL game like he did there, those 14 plays, that would be enough for me to be proud of how I played for the rest of my life. That was a very big game and he was a man among boys when the team needed him. Or so it looked to me!

10 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

It also stands to reason that when the Bills defense had melted down resulting a 3 game losing streak and headlines questioning if the head coach was even able to do the job (In over his head), and that the defensive coach needed to be fired, that maybe they wouldn't have turned to the next random schlub they saw walking by, to help them out with the main problem of all. Which was we were being crushed in the ruining game. It stands to reason they had a reason for picking him.

But that is just me right? They just grabbed whoever.

Ill ask another question. Did you even see him play? IF you watched the game, did you watch 98? Did you notice him, at all?

Here's another question: Who sits and watches a whole game in slow motion and rewinding as necessary, focusing only on the Bills DT position?

Did you?

I think the answer is me, and the defensive line coaches for the Chiefs and Bills, and also the Patriots who are coming this Sunday.

So not to disagree with you, but if you are not among those who watched that, then I will go ahead and believe what it was I saw with my own eyes.

But don't you let that change your opinion any. I am starting to get the idea that I seem better informed when you and I don't agree!

I will bow to your omniscience.

24 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I will bow to your omniscience.

No bowing is necessary.

I think omniscience means I know everything, which believe me, I do not.

All I am saying is I wrote what I saw.  You are talking about his past history, which I know very little about, and did not mention in my post.  So in my opinion, unless you also looked at the film I saw, I am not going to learn very much from you about what happened in the film that I had written about.

If you just want to say that given the man's history, you don't believe he played great just because I say so, why not just say that?

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Because at the time we had Dareus?

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Like the Bills organization has never released a good player. Pretty amusing. 

19 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

You may have just answered your own question at the end.