Re-Sign Jordan Matthews?

Dkollidas

Just wondering if people here think they'll re-sign him? Heard this being debated on WGR this morning, so it made me curious. I do admit I wonder whether they'll want to invest money into Matthews and then more into Benjamin in another year.

Regarding being able to draft one... yes, we could, but I think right now there are bigger needs than Wide Receiver now that we've gotten Benjamin who I believe is a lower end True #1. 

Those needs include:

G/C-Replace Wood/Incognito as they age. 

DT-Replace Marcell & possibly Kyle. 

CB-depth behind White/Gaines

QB-Need a long term answer

RB- McCoy Replacement/Partner

I hope so; Benjamin-Mattews-Jones is a decent 1-2-3 punch imo for the next few years. It really takes the focus off drafting a WR early in the draft (really they only need a burner that can take the top off defenses). With the 5 early draft picks next year the Bills should be looking at: QB, O-Line, D-Line, LB, DB. The goal this year should be making the playoffs. The goal in 2 years is to be a contender. 

The way I look at it the Bills current WR group is missing a speed outside guy. They’ve got lots of possession guys and Benjamin.  

If the Bills resign Matthews, who will certainly ask for what Woods got in LA, I think there is little chance they also resign Benjamin. Don’t think the Bills would look to commit that much money to the position.

I’d prefer they focus on resigning Benjamin who is a #1, if things work out, at this point and draft a speed receiver. They don’t have to draft one early. Otherwise they are resigning Matthews and need to draft a #1 in 2019.

A better WR group to me is Benjamin on the outside, Zay in the slot and speed WR on the outside opposite Benjamin.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought they would before the Benjamin trade. But the combination of him arriving and Zay starting to come round makes me think probably not. WR is not a position the Panthers in Beane's time there generally invested lots of cap $$$s in. 

To my mind draft needs are:

1 - QB

2 - Edge rusher

3 - Interior D Line

4 - Interior O Line

5 - Linebacker

6 - Running back

7 - Speed receiver

8 - Cornerback depth

• Like (+1) 1

Nope, he’s a guy that I would certainly let walk. He’s a JAG that will be looking for a contract at least in the Robert Woods range. I am not sure he isn’t the 4th best receiver on the roster at the moment. I’d rather pay Deonte Thompson $3M than Matthews $8M. Additionally, I think that they look to extend Benjamin too. In 2018 I think that it is Benjamin, Zay, a rookie, Thompson, Reilly and/or Dupre. 

• Like (+1) 2

No thanks.  Not at the price tag he’ll likely command (6-8 mill per year).  If we were domspemd that kind of money on a WR he better be blazing fast.  Benjamin and Jones + a draft pick or a fast FA WR.

He’s a good wr but not what this regime is looking for with KB and Zay already locked up for another year.  

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Seems like he and Zay are almost identical type of wideouts.   Have loved his attitude and is obviously a pros pro but my guess is they would keep Thompson over him at this point.  

I'd like to see them resign him, but agree too much like Jones and Jones will probably be much cheaper.  If he finds he's not getting what he thinks, maybe they will

think WR will be interesting overall in the off-season.  what do the Giants do with OBJ, Sammy??  These are two big names who expect real big $$, but OBJ has just had way too many off field things going on, and Sammy even with a very good QB looks average. (unless this past week is a big sign of things to come.

Yeah we need a speed guy to take the top off the defense.  Problem is the speed guys are all small and injury prone even if you reach into the first to get one.  If you try to work in a speed guy with third round draft capital the situation is even worse.  You are stuck with someone who is small, injury prone, has bad hands, is uncoachable and is a locker room nightmare.  

The problem with investing high $$ or draft picks into Wide Receivers before getting a quarterback, is that you don't know what kind of receivers you need to have on the team.

Right now the Bills only have big/possession targets.  Which is OK if you have an offense that doesn't press down the field much. 

But if you have a big-armed QB, you really want to get some speed on the outside.

If we continue running an offense similar to this one (West Coast style), I'm OK with re-signing Matthews.  I'm not one of those guys who believes much in adding a speed guy just for show/decoy purposes.  Just get big and reliable targets who can keep the chains moving. 

• Like (+1) 1

It depends on how much they value Thompson and at which WR spot.  If they think Thompson can be a Z, then that kicks Zay to Y and makes Matthews expendable.  If they insist on keeping Zay at Z and don't think Thompson is a good Y, it makes Matthews more valuable.  And then money becomes the issue.