Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

I can't answer for Peter, but I would have to look, again, at the JAX roster to see if they have a glut of bodies at a position of need for the Bills. If not, perhaps a 4th, upgradeable to a 3rd. Or, you hold on to Dareus (he certainly wasn't dragging the team down) until the offseason, and trade him then.

But let's say, this is the best Beane thought they could get, and was concerned if they waited until the offseason there would be no deal to be had. If you REALLY believe that, then you go ahead and make the bad deal. But I don't think you are "happy" about it. I had to sell a car for far less than it was worth, once. Had little choice. But I didn't celebrate getting taken.

I would actually compare Dareus more to a time share than your used car. Too much money sunk into a something no longer of value PLUS future costs that you are unwantingly on the hook for. Hard to give that kind of thing away, much less get anything of value back.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got a 6th round pick because he has a huge contract and is not a great player. That's it.

If others teams had wanted him they would have tried to get him. No one is going to sit on their hands and lose a player they want because they are thinking 'oh if the Bills didn't want to trade him so much I'd have given them a 2nd'. League people always know who is on the block anyway. What the Buffalo News thinks they know or not is completely irrelevant.

Disagree - I think the reason his value is discounted so much is his one-strike-away-from-a-full-season-suspension status. His contract status isn't that bad for another team because they aren't on the hook for the pro-rated signing bonus stuff. Minus the suspension possibility, my guess is that the Bills get a 4th that might turn into a 3rd. The Ravens got a 4th and 5th for Ngata, who was a lesser player than Dareus is now by the time he was traded (he had worn down a lot by that point but was still serviceable).

Next Man Up Rodak post

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29715/beat-goes-on-for-bills-defense-despite-injuries-marcell-dareus-trade

The "next-man up" mentality is cliché around the NFL. As injuries and trades crop up, coaches and players will use those words as a rallying cry for the players stepping in.

It does not always work, but in the case of the Buffalo Bills' defense this season, their replacement players have barely missed a beat.

Just out of curiosity, what were those things, you find so apparent? How was ne not "in the fold", on the day before he was traded?

The move is done, so I think it's time to move past it. Rearview mirror on this one.

What we know: The Bills sent him for rehab, they punished him for consistent tardiness, they sent him home from a preseason game, they shamed (and praised) him publicly. That's what we know. I am sure they tried to work with him privately.

Do you disagree?

Disagree - I think the reason his value is discounted so much is his one-strike-away-from-a-full-season-suspension status. His contract status isn't that bad for another team because they aren't on the hook for the pro-rated signing bonus stuff. Minus the suspension possibility, my guess is that the Bills get a 4th that might turn into a 3rd. The Ravens got a 4th and 5th for Ngata, who was a lesser player than Dareus is now by the time he was traded (he had worn down a lot by that point but was still serviceable).

His contract status does play a part. Ngata is apples to oranges as he was on the last year of his deal.

The last of the Stank is gone!

Good riddance to all the ME FIRST players the Bills ever had on this team in the last 17......Yes Im talking about you SJ13, SG24, SW14, MD99, WREX RYAN, ROB RYAN, Terrell Owens, BOLDIN, etc....

This is now a TEAM! Too Bad FJ22 wasnt part of this moment.

His contract status does play a part. Ngata is apples to oranges as he was on the last year of his deal.

Jax's cap number for Dareus going forward isn't that problematic despite the gaudy-looking numbers - https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/10/30/16569484/marcell-dareus-trade-2018-nfl-salary-cap-jaguars. Bear in mind that if they want to keep him, they can convert some of the future salary into a bonus that can be prorated.

Anyway, the problem he presents is as follows: other teams want the elite talent that he can be, but they're cautious not so much because of the money, but because that elite talent is one toke away from a full-season suspension. People need to bear in mind that Jacksonville acquired him because they want to win this year and think they can, and not because they're trying to perfect their salary cap situation. If you think a player represents an elite talent who can be a difference maker, then you pay the going price and don't look back. I'm not saying he's going to pan out, but in the two seasons he played for Marrone, he was dominating. Anyway, the cap issue likely wasn't a huge problem for them (they were $33 million under the cap anyway).

Edited by dave mcbride

I am actually rooting for him to go on and have a productive NFL career.......good luck to you Marcel

I seem to remember a lot of posts talking about Marcel....his contract....and how the bills were stuck and there was nothing they could do about it.....

Well...I guess the bills showed us that was not true

I'm with you John, Good Luck Marcell with your career and your life. I appreciate the things you did for the underprivileged in the community!!!

What we know: The Bills sent him for rehab, they punished him for consistent tardiness, they sent him home from a preseason game, they shamed (and praised) him publicly. That's what we know. I am sure they tried to work with him privately.

Do you disagree?

No, I think those are legit. But with this particular management team, I think there was only the preseason incident. Did I miss one? I recall no issues during the season, so far. If I recall correctly, he had some nagging injury early in the year, that might have accounted for his lack of playing time, and might have impacted his performance, at the time. And while not getting much playing time, his performance seemed OK, and getting better. I won't argue he was "worth his salary", though.

As to the argument "they did everything they could", I'm not so sure. Maybe they did. One thing the new regime didn't try was challenging Dareus with the starting role, and a lot of playing time---putting him in the spotlight, and on the spot, so to speak. Letting him know (privately would be my preference), this was his chance to prove all the haters wrong. That might work, if they believed his performance issues were from lack of motivation/malaise/etc. But I'm not convinced his performance was the major issue, here. I just think they may have made a judgement before even meeting him, and said "he's not our kind of guy". The screw-up in preseason only reinforced that thinking. Then I think they sort of just gave up on him--maybe didn't think he was worth their time/effort.

I just keep hearing/reading he wasn't buying-in to the new regime, and I can't quite figure out where that comes from. I also hear/read he was a locker room cancer---though I think it's fairly clear he was not. BTW, that's a terrible thing to accuse a player of, without real evidence. (I'm not directing that at you, since I do not know if you called him a "cancer".)

You won't read posts from me lamenting his departure, down the line. But I do think his talent was underutilized (and I'm guessing McDermott might agree, even if he had a bigger reason/plan for letting him sit), and the return for could have/should have been a bit higher.

I am actually rooting for him to go on and have a productive NFL career.......good luck to you Marcel

I seem to remember a lot of posts talking about Marcel....his contract....and how the bills were stuck and there was nothing they could do about it.....

I'm rooting for him to suck. The WC could come down to us or Jax. I'd prefer he help them out of that competition.

Well we're still kinda stuck with the contract, just not the player.