Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

Strange mentality. There has never been any evidence that Watkins represented a huge delta in terms of expected wins.

Every team that doesn't have an elite franchise QB is forced to build "this way." But in any case, we haven't yet begun to see how the new regime will build the team. We aren't supposed to be good yet. This year was supposed to be about scheme/culture installation, resource accumulation, and self-scouting to determine how best to use said resources. McD & co. have the team playing well several years ahead of schedule. Darn...

The Watkins crowd has an amazing ability to ignore 4 years of average production.

btw, how'd he do today?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No ****. What player is traded in "secret"? He was a detriment to what they are trying to build in Buffalo so the sooner they got rid of him the better. And they accomplished that despite the albatross of his contract.

That's not 'selling low', that's addition by subtraction.

You guys are just hung up on the 'he was the #3 pick' thing.

Certainly there was "subtraction" without much "addition."

By the way, read Kyle Williams' quotes. It is clear that he was well liked among his teammates. If you want to trade someone fine. My problem is that they did not get sufficient value in my opinion. I would have tried to trade him for more with the Jags or another team before the deadline. Barring that, I would have kept him until I got good value for him. This was like a short sale.

Nothin' for nothin' - when you used the royal "You", did you remember to use proper capitalization?

The proper expression is "not for nothin', in this case.

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&rlz=1C1EODB_enUS693US693&ei=Maf2WdilE8j4jwTh3rDgDw&q=%22not+for+nothing%22&oq=%22not+for+nothing%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i67k1l2j0j0i67k1l2j0l2j0i10k1j0l2.64598.64598.0.66325.1.1.0.0.0.0.129.129.0j1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.127....0.VcnGDGBBkxQ

And remember: Nothing from nothing leaves nothing.

Now, piss off and go to bed, sonny.

Certainly there was "subtraction" without much "addition."

By the way, read Kyle Williams' quotes. It is clear that he was well liked among his teammates. If you want to trade someone fine. My problem is that they did not get sufficient value in my opinion. I would have tried to trade him for more with the Jags or another team before the deadline. Barring that, I would have kept him until I got good value for him. This was like a short sale.

Read all the quotes. He may have been liked but it's clear he won't be missed.

That aside, they did get good value for him. The market was very limited and the product has spotty production, drug/off-field issues and an onerous contract. And most importantly, they didn't want him on the team. When you factor all that in, any draft pick was good value.

Read all the quotes. He may have been liked but it's clear he won't be missed.

That aside, they did get good value for him. The market was very limited and the product has spotty production, drug/off-field issues and an onerous contract. And most importantly, they didn't want him on the team. When you factor all that in, any draft pick was good value.

Other teams realized this because the Bills made no secret of this. Hence, they only got a 6th round pick.

Many of you guys love the trade. I don't like what they got in return.

P.S. As for the quotes, did one guy say they did not like Dareus? In fact, Kyle said he as well liked in the locker room. The most that was said is that certain players saw this coming. I sure hope so. The Bills made no secret of this . . . so much so that even the Buffalo News knew he was going to be traded.

Edited by Peter

I don't visit as often as I used to and never visit the off the wall threads but I gotta say, I miss you brother.

Other teams realized this because the Bills made no secret of this. Hence, they only got a 6th round pick.

Many of you guys love the trade. I don't like what they got in return.

P.S. As for the quotes, did one guy say they did not like Dareus? In fact, Kyle said he as well liked in the locker room. The most that was said is that certain players saw this coming. I sure hope so. The Bills made no secret of this . . . so much so that even the Buffalo News knew he was going to be traded.

They got a 6th round pick because he has a huge contract and is not a great player. That's it.

If others teams had wanted him they would have tried to get him. No one is going to sit on their hands and lose a player they want because they are thinking 'oh if the Bills didn't want to trade him so much I'd have given them a 2nd'. League people always know who is on the block anyway. What the Buffalo News thinks they know or not is completely irrelevant.

You get a 6th round pick when you show the league that you are desperate to get rid of a guy no matter what you receive in return.

If you are going to trade Dareus, fine. But a 6th round pick no matter what the contract is a bag of pucks for a guy like that. St. Doug does not appear to have any qualms about Dareus. This sadly is the second time he has robbed the Bills.

You get a 6 round pick when the guy has one of the worst contracts in the NFL, has poor performance, is one bad day from a 10 day suspension, and has been on the trading block since camp.

The 11th post in this thread said (before the compensation was known): "anything less than a second is a joke" or words to that effect. I presume that if you took a poll of everyone on this board before the compensation was leaked, no one would have guessed a 6th round draft choice.

In the end, I would have hoped that they could have found a team that would have traded at least a third. Of course, it did not help that (in my view) the Bills have let it be known that they were desperate to unload Dareus. When you show desperation, a 6th round pick is what you get. If that is all I could have gotten from the Jags, I would have tried to get something more elsewhere or held on to him. Of course, other teams presumably understood that the Bills did not intend to keep him and, accordingly, the Bills did not have much leverage in their negotiations.

Right because those same people would have said he is untradeable.

Right....ask the Texans what it takes to unload a garbage contract and get back to us.

Brock Osweiler is a guy who was (over)paid for potential. What had he done in the league? Nothing. You overpay for what turns out to be a dud, yes, you gotta take what you can get.

Dareus, on the other hand, was at one point labeled "the best DT in the league", all pro, a genuine difference-maker. His play had fallen off, but he does have a track record of high-level-production.

I don't think it's a reasonable comparison.

I think you are remembering a couple of articles by some national publications. What I recall was local people saying "well we've seen this before."

No, I think if you could and did search archives on this board, quite a few of us were giddy and hoping "Happy Days were Here Again". And by "us" of course, I mean "everyone else", I didn't post in those days.

The "once bitten twice shy" skepticism came along in 2011, when we had, indeed, seen this before.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I like the trade this evening much more than this morning! (Don't get me wrong - I know we needed to get rid of that cancer, just wish we got a better deal.)

Now, I'm feeling toward Dareus is about the same I felt about that fat loser Jason Peters - good riddance!

The difference between Peters and Dareus is that Peters is going to be a serious candidate to make it into the HOF. Those situations are completely different.

I'm glad to see you are back in the forum. We haven't heard from you in a long time. I'm sure you are gratified to see your beloved lawyer and pirate coach in the state of Washington making his presence felt. However, I'm surprised that you didn't mention his name in your post. :pirate:

I don't visit as often as I used to and never visit the off the wall threads but I gotta say, I miss you brother.

I post too much, when I'm around. I need to take a break from this place, now and then. How you doing?

The difference between Peters and Dareus is that Peters is going to be a serious candidate to make it into the HOF. Those situations are completely different.

I'm glad to see you are back in the forum. We haven't heard from you in a long time. I'm sure you are gratified to see your beloved lawyer and pirate coach in the state of Washington making his presence felt. However, I'm surprised that you didn't mention his name in your post. :pirate:

They are similar, in that both guys were seen (for different reasons) as a thorn in the side of Bills' management. They will be even more comparable, should Dareus really blossoms elsewhere.

There are many differences, though, including what you mentioned. Another is that the Bills are getting decent DT play from guys still on the roster. I can't recall who the LT was, after Peters, but my recollection was it was not pretty.

The Bills appeared to do everything they could to bring him into the fold and it just didn't work out. Hopefully he gets his act together in Jacksonville.

Just out of curiosity, what were those things, you find so apparent? How was ne not "in the fold", on the day before he was traded?

The move is done, so I think it's time to move past it. Rearview mirror on this one.

They got a 6th round pick because he has a huge contract and is not a great player. That's it.

If others teams had wanted him they would have tried to get him. No one is going to sit on their hands and lose a player they want because they are thinking 'oh if the Bills didn't want to trade him so much I'd have given them a 2nd'. League people always know who is on the block anyway. What the Buffalo News thinks they know or not is completely irrelevant.

Truer words were never spoken. The amount of conversation among teems regarding various players across the league is much more than we or the media is ever made aware of and it goes on constantly, year round.

Nothin' for nothin' - when you used the royal "You", did you remember to use proper capitalization?

Hey Senator, I have two words for you:

17-2 baby!

I guess that reads as four words, but what the heck.

I post too much, when I'm around. I need to take a break from this place, now and then. How you doing?

They are similar, in that both guys were seen (for different reasons) as a thorn in the side of Bills' management. They will be even more comparable, should Dareus really blossoms elsewhere.

There are many differences, though, including what you mentioned. Another is that the Bills are getting decent DT play from guys still on the roster. I can't recall who the LT was, after Peters, but my recollection was it was not pretty.

The replacement for Peters was Demetrius Bell, among others. It was a disaster.

I don't think that Dareus's performance is going to return to his best form this season because I don't think he is in the shape that he needs to be. I sincerely hope that the change of scenery and the jolt from the trade will focus his attention and allow him to play up to his immense potential. He's more of an immature person than a bad guy. I wish him well and hope he gets his football and personal life in order.

I don't think that Dareus's performance is going to return to his best form this season because I don't think he is in the shape that he needs to be. I sincerely hope that the change of scenery and the jolt from the trade will focus his attention and allow him to play up to his immense potential. He's more of an immature person than a bad guy. I wish him well and hope he gets his football and personal life in order.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on Dareus as well. Very disappointed he couldn't put it all together on a consistent basis here, but I don't think it's because he intentionally wasn't trying.

Is the royal "You" supposed to be capitalized when not at the beginning of the sentence? Or is it optional in current day writing style?