Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaguars Head Coach Doug Marrone meets with the media following Monday's practice.

Dareus: "I am thoroughly happy to be with the Jags" (7:14)

Jaguars defensive tackle Marcell Dareus meets the media for the first time since being traded from the Buffalo Bills.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I wish Dareus all the best but he does seem to be a bit of a troubled man. The conflicting statements in the press about his mental attitude and acceptance of the situation point to this. I think above all else, the fact that he could not learn from playing next to Kyle Williams tells me that Dareus best days are behind him. He has all of the talent to be one of the best ever but his life choices and circumstances will ultimately leave all of us to wonder what might he have done if he had learned a little more from Kyle.

I wish Dareus all the best but he does seem to be a bit of a troubled man. The conflicting statements in the press about his mental attitude and acceptance of the situation point to this. I think above all else, the fact that he could not learn from playing next to Kyle Williams tells me that Dareus best days are behind him. He has all of the talent to be one of the best ever but his life choices and circumstances will ultimately leave all of us to wonder what might he have done if he had learned a little more from Kyle.

Well said

CBF

Marcel had some pretty nice things to say about Buffalo, said it was the one consistent thing he's had the past few years....yikes....that kinda broke my heart

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

I felt the same way.

For those of you who easily dismiss him as a "cancer" (although Kyle and his teammates say otherwise) or claim that he should be more like Kyle, let's try to remember that Dareus did not grow up with the advantages that I presume most of the people here did. His life has been one tragedy after another.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11028815/marcell-dareus-simply-judge-buffalo-bills-defensive-lineman-recent-arrests

Dareus actually seems like a decent guy. He apparently really liked Buffalo and thought of the city as a constant in his life given that not a lot of other things were.

He now plays for the Jags, and we can all be excited by what awaits us when we use that 6th round draft choice.

Edited by Peter

I felt the same way.

For those of you who easily dismiss him as a "cancer" (although Kyle and his teammates say otherwise) or claim that he should be more like Kyle, let's try to remember that Dareus did not grow up with the advantages that I presume most of the people here did. His life has been one tragedy after another.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11028815/marcell-dareus-simply-judge-buffalo-bills-defensive-lineman-recent-arrests

Dareus actually seems like a decent guy. He apparently really liked Buffalo and thought of the city as a constant in his life given that not a lot of other things were.

He now plays for the Jags, and we can all be excited by what awaits us when we use that 6th round draft choice.

omfg Peter

Its not about the 6th round pick..you know that right?

omfg Peter

Its not about the 6th round pick..you know that right?

I am on record that I do not like the compensation and would not have traded him for basically nothing (regardless of cap space etc.). I will just refer you to my posts on the subject so that I do not have to go through all this again.

I hope Marcel gets his head right one day. I really think he's a good dude who has been through more horrible stuff in his young life than most people experience in 80 years. On top of all the tragedy, he has the burden of living up to his talent, others' expectations, and Terry Pegula's money - money which I'm sure does little to ease his anxiety. I'm sure there are plenty of days he just doesn't want to get out of bed.

One has to feel sorry for the man. So much turmoil and lack of stability in his life. The Bills were the only stability he had and just like that it is gone. Prayers for Marcell and hope he fills the voids in his life. He definitely needs a good woman.

Edited by Heathcliff

I felt the same way.

From what I can discern from your posts today and yesterday you'tre upset that we did not get a 4th vs a 6th in trade. Well, is that really enough of a difference to continually B word and moan about this? And if he actually does get his head on straight it could turn into a 5th round. Like the round Kyle and Milano went if I recall correctly. And if a 6th maybe there's a QB from Michigan that got shunted aside and burns with the desire to show everyone they were wrong waiting when we pick there.

I have said on several occasions that I feel for the kid and the issues in his personal life, and that the team should have gotten him whatever counseling resources he needed to adjust. I don't know the depth to which they got him that counseling, nor whether he took advantage of any resources offered. But what I do know is that, at some point, you have to decide you will be accountable for your own actions, and after his big contract was signed he was never the same player. He has played under different coaches with different approaches and none have apparently motivated him. Because motivation ultimately comes from inside oneself.

I hope the kid finally gets it. As a general rule I hate to see young people waste their talents. But looking at the history of guys like Coughlin and Marrone, no nonsense types, realistically I can't see that the light somehow turns on for him in JVille. To me it's more likely he gets cast aside. And that's sad.

I am on record that I do not like the compensation and would not have traded him for basically nothing (regardless of cap space etc.). I will just refer you to my posts on the subject so that I do not have to go through all this again.

its fine Peter you are totally entitled to your opinion (even though you are beating that horse through the glue factory)

I just want to point out that it probably had nothing to do with the 6th round pick.....it was about getting him off the books and yes we have dead money....but the bills were trying to get out from under his contract.

He didnt fit the plans of the new group.......the bills are playing fine without him.......its time to move on.

I felt the same way.

The circumstances and events of his life are truly sad though they do not release him from the requirement that he matures as an individual and overcomes them. He accepted the fruits of a very large contract and good for him in doing so as there are very few human beings on this earth with the talent and ability to do what he does. He could have chosen many paths in life after doing so, one of which was to embrace his team, his teammates and his city in an effort to find the stability in life that apparently eludes him.

The simple fact of the matter is that Dareus is at risk of being one of the many athletes out there that goes from very tough circumstances to wealth and then ultimately back to very tough circumstances again when his playing and earning days are behind him. He is learning the very hard lesson that money does not buy a life free from difficulty and hardship. It also does not on its own cause one to move beyond their past.

We can easily assume that Marcell has had access to some of the best mentoring, coaching and counseling out there. This is both on the football field and off of it. Hopefully, the move to Jax will light a fire under him to listen and learn. Again, I wish him nothing but the best in life. He is a human being who has been through very deeply challenging circumstances and events in his life. Hopefully, he finds a measure of peace in his life and moves productively beyond them.

One has to feel sorry for the man. So much turmoil and lack of stability in his life. The Bills were the only stability he had and just like that it is gone.

Six years. Two owners, three GMs, four head coaches, six defensive coordinators (eight if you count Rex and Rob Ryan separately).

You know you're !@#$ed when the Bills are the most stable thing in your life.

Edited by DC Tom

From what I can discern from your posts today and yesterday you'tre upset that we did not get a 4th vs a 6th in trade. Well, is that really enough of a difference to continually B word and moan about this? And if he actually does get his head on straight it could turn into a 5th round. Like the round Kyle and Milano went if I recall correctly. And if a 6th maybe there's a QB from Michigan that got shunted aside and burns with the desire to show everyone they were wrong waiting when we pick there.

I have said on several occasions that I feel for the kid and the issues in his personal life, and that the team should have gotten him whatever counseling resources he needed to adjust. I don't know the depth to which they got him that counseling, nor whether he took advantage of any resources offered. But what I do know is that, at some point, you have to decide you will be accountable for your own actions, and after his big contract was signed he was never the same player. He has played under different coaches with different approaches and none have apparently motivated him. Because motivation ultimately comes from inside oneself.

I hope the kid finally gets it. As a general rule I hate to see young people waste their talents. But looking at the history of guys like Coughlin and Marrone, no nonsense types, realistically I can't see that the light somehow turns on for him in JVille. To me it's more likely he gets cast aside. And that's sad.

I posted that I would have been ok with a third or a decent player under the circumstances (if they were going to get rid of him at all). We may end up missing him or at least be pissed off watching him play well for Marrone.

As for Dareus, some have tried to justify this by claiming he is a "cancer" and BS like that. He clearly was not a "cancer" if you ask his teammates. He seems like a decent kid who has not hurt anyone in his life and has had one tragedy after another.

I wish him well. It will piss me off if he plays well under Marrone. I cannot stand Marrone, but Marrone knows him well and apparently has no issue with Dareus in his team's locker room.

I posted that I would have been ok with a third or a decent player under the circumstances (if they were going to get rid of him at all). We may end up missing him or at least be pissed off watching him play well for Marrone.

As for Dareus, some have tried to justify this by claiming he is a "cancer" and BS like that. He clearly was not a "cancer" if you ask his teammates. He seems like a decent kid who has not hurt anyone in his life and has had one tragedy after another.

I wish him well. It will piss me off if he plays well under Marrone. I cannot stand Marrone, but Marrone knows him well and apparently has no issue with Dareus in his team's locker room.

I wish him well too. I agree he didn't seem to be a cancer in terms of attitude with other players. But I would compare it to a chronic infection. You don't want it to spread.

its fine Peter you are totally entitled to your opinion (even though you are beating that horse through the glue factory)

I just want to point out that it probably had nothing to do with the 6th round pick.....it was about getting him off the books and yes we have dead money....but the bills were trying to get out from under his contract.

He didnt fit the plans of the new group.......the bills are playing fine without him.......its time to move on.

....and I still think his actions spoke louder than his words about buying into the new regime.......and with this gang, either you are or you are not NOW..........

1. doesn't look like any of the other 31 clubs think much of your expected 3rd coupled with his contract.

2. I'm sure his "teammates" were fighting to line up for an opportunity to throw him under the bus.

....guess you're gonna be doubly pissed....oh well.................