Harvey Weinstein (and others) accused of sexual harrasement

RaoulDuke79

yeah, we know

so, you see my point? The hashtag is pointless. #itwasme is no different than #metoo. Especially in today's bull **** world of what quantifies this garbage. Simply making an advance on a woman who wasn't welcoming it can be considered harassment? How would I know if she was willing or not? Until you've had women chew you out for even asking their phone number, if they're single or other such innocuous things you don't realize how ridiculous the intolerance is from women on a solid chunk of this.

And a hashtag does nothing to advance their cause. #markaycosmetics #katespadebags

Obviously, a hashtag is no substitute for real life activism. I can’t believe I’m defending this, since I’ve never been on the Facepants or Assbook or Instacrap and I don’t follow all the Twits. BUT… if it makes people feel good, if it helps some people who are hesitant to speak up to have some small voice and a way to feel part of a community and to feel some empathy from others who have suffered… how is this not a positive thing? In any case, it doesn’t do any harm and it’s easy enough to ignore if you don’t like it. Is this not what these social media thingies are there for? Is this not a good example of people using it in a positive way?

The fact that someone would go out of his way to poopoo this kind of thing is odd to me. I think it shows a person’s bias, because I don’t think it’s the medium that’s really being objected to—I think it’s the core message. And I can’t see any reason for a person to bother standing up to say this is not a worthwhile message. It IS worthwhile.

Just for clarity I agree with the general point you and BeginnersMind are making. But the underlying point the others are trying to make is accurate. I'm not against activism, and am certainly not against purging the entertainment biz of these kinds of sexual predators. I'm merely highlighting the obvious - hashtags alone are not a solution to anything. They're not a "starting point" for action. They're a way to spread awareness... inside of a very small bubble.

And that's the problem.

We have seen countless hashtag campaigns, about very real issues, fizzle out without any meaningful change. This happens because some people believe hashtags alone will do the job. They pat themselves on the back for retweeting a hashtag and go to bed feeling they've made a true difference in the struggle... then three days later no one follows up with real action and the issue they were so outraged about just keeps chugging along. A few months pass and a new story on the issue will break and those same people ignore it because they've "already done their part."

It can't just be hashtags. The driving force for any sort of meaningful change has to start and end with action not awareness. I only bring this up because I care about the issue and like you and BM I want to see real change.

I'm merely highlighting the obvious - hashtags alone are not a solution to anything. They're not a "starting point" for action. They're a way to spread awareness... inside of a very small bubble.

And that's the problem.

#bringbackourgirls

:lol: :lol:

Yup.

No, I was made the same argument BeginnersMind is making with regards to hashtags during that incident. I expected the awareness to lead to action but it did nothing.

#itwasme has a real chance to catch on. Especially if we can move beyond a hash tag and start a movement outside of a hashtag.

"But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior," Spacey wrote.

BS-o-meter goes on tilt. He "befriended" a 14 year old kid, invited him to an all adult party, doesn't remember what happened but the two never spoke again? Immmmmmm...................BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BS-o-meter goes on tilt. He "befriended" a 14 year old kid, invited him to an all adult party, doesn't remember what happened but the two never spoke again? Immmmmmm...................BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it was probably a lot more memorable to the kid, than to Kevin. I'm guessing Kevin got blasted and mauled twinks far too often to think much about this particular one.

I also loved that Spacey called what he did "inappropriate drunken behavior". Um, it's "sexual molestation" and "rape", Kevin.

Well, it was probably a lot more memorable to the kid, than to Kevin. I'm guessing Kevin got blasted and mauled twinks far too often to think much about this particular one.

I also loved that Spacey called what he did "inappropriate drunken behavior". Um, it's "sexual molestation" and "rape", Kevin.

If all the reports are true, and that has not been established, then Spacey 1. had a great relationship with the kid, 2. invited him to a party with no other kids, 3. performed his disgusting act and 4. the two never spoke again.

Kevin knew about 1, 2, and 4. If he "forgot #3 because he was drunk", wasn't he at least curious about why #4 took place? Wouldn't he have spoken with the kid again? He's full of crap.

If all the reports are true, and that has not been established, then Spacey 1. had a great relationship with the kid, 2. invited him to a party with no other kids, 3. performed his disgusting act and 4. the two never spoke again.

Kevin knew about 1, 2, and 4. If he "forgot #3 because he was drunk", wasn't he at least curious about why #4 took place? Wouldn't he have spoken with the kid again? He's full of crap.

Yes, seems odd. Then again, "close friendships" can be pretty ephemeral among those in the entertainment industry.

"Chosen to live his life as a gay man" does nit exactly go with the "Being gay is not a choice" mantra.

Yes, I know that's not the point. But it is one more example of Hollywood's over-the-top hypocrisy.

Being gay isn't a choice, but living as a gay man is, if by that we mean accepting you are gay and/or being public about it. Choosing to engage in gay sex (or any sex, or no sex) is a choice, too. So I don't think it's really hypocritical, though it sounds like it is. But as you note, that's not really the point, here.

I thought everyone knew that Kevin Spacey was gay. It's the date-raping a 14 year old that surprises me.

Did Family Guy call this 12 years ago?

https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/924869139059134464?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pedestrian.tv%2Fnews%2Fheres-the-creepily-ominous-kevin-spacey-joke-family-guy-made-in-2004%2F

CBF

WFT is up with these guys? In what world is this acceptable behavior?

I mean, JFC I couldn't even entertain the thought of some of this stuff, maybe it's how I was raised to view women but honestly...this just makes me sad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.