Harvey Weinstein (and others) accused of sexual harrasement

RaoulDuke79

Why does a me too type movement matter? Do you think this big story out of Fidelity would have broken now otherwise?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-fidelity-new-fallout-from-claims-of-sexual-harassment-bullying-1508677202

And surely a lot more of these stories are happening in workplaces in the last month.

Edited by BeginnersMind

Why does a me too type movement matter? Do you think this big story out of Fidelity would have broken now otherwise?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-fidelity-new-fallout-from-claims-of-sexual-harassment-bullying-1508677202

And surely a lot more of these stories are happening in workplaces in the last month.

Sure, but that's action coupled with awareness. Awareness alone, especially social media awareness, is not a solution.

that's not part of #metoo. But, #feels good to think so.

Meanwhile Corey Feldman, who has re-ignited his claims of pedophilia in Hollywood when he was young, is coincidentally arrested for possession of marijuana

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4740896/ex-child-star-corey-feldman-arrested-for-marijuana-possession-after-speaking-out-about-hollywood-paedo-ring-amid-weinstein-scandal/

Less than a few hours after he promised to name names.

Nothing to see here. We don't live in a world where pedophillia is protected by those in power.

That is like saying that you cannot walk 10 steps when you have only taken one.

The awareness matters. This last week in HR does not happen without the heightened awareness.

Not true. Sexual harassment suits got filed before people started tweeting hashtags or the world learned about HW.

That is like saying that you cannot walk 10 steps when you have only taken one.

The awareness matters. This last week in HR does not happen without the heightened awareness.

oh ok, but how's that #bringbackourgirls and #allthatotherbullshit going? Hashtags are for idiots who are too stupid to take action

#lookatmeimanactivist

Obviously, a hashtag is no substitute for real life activism. I can’t believe I’m defending this, since I’ve never been on the Facepants or Assbook or Instacrap and I don’t follow all the Twits. BUT… if it makes people feel good, if it helps some people who are hesitant to speak up to have some small voice and a way to feel part of a community and to feel some empathy from others who have suffered… how is this not a positive thing? In any case, it doesn’t do any harm and it’s easy enough to ignore if you don’t like it. Is this not what these social media thingies are there for? Is this not a good example of people using it in a positive way?

The fact that someone would go out of his way to poopoo this kind of thing is odd to me. I think it shows a person’s bias, because I don’t think it’s the medium that’s really being objected to—I think it’s the core message. And I can’t see any reason for a person to bother standing up to say this is not a worthwhile message. It IS worthwhile.

Obviously, a hashtag is no substitute for real life activism. I cant believe Im defending this, since Ive never been on the Facepants or Assbook or Instacrap and I dont follow all the Twits. BUT if it makes people feel good, if it helps some people who are hesitant to speak up to have some small voice and a way to feel part of a community and to feel some empathy from others who have suffered how is this not a positive thing? In any case, it doesnt do any harm and its easy enough to ignore if you dont like it. Is this not what these social media thingies are there for? Is this not a good example of people using it in a positive way?

The fact that someone would go out of his way to poopoo this kind of thing is odd to me. I think it shows a persons bias, because I dont think its the medium thats really being objected toI think its the core message. And I cant see any reason for a person to bother standing up to say this is not a worthwhile message. It IS worthwhile.

#itwasme

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.